Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
isn't religious education still somewhat compulsory in the english education system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Edit: Ahhh help McArthur is eating my brain

Forer fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 11, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

isn't religious education still somewhat compulsory in the english education system?

It was when I went to school.

As to why they're all Brits I think the UKMT definition of the UK as "rainy fascist island" is apt. The UK never really stopped believing that its Empire was good and there's a bunch of people crawling out of the woodwork to advocate for all the best bits of British Imperial policy.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

So it's not coincidence so many of these guys are English yes? It's a little bit of the pomposity mixed with the fact that they sound really smart too teenagers and 20-somethings in America?

A disproportionate number of successful youtubers in almost any subject have some kind of UK accent for exactly that reason. Politics, video games, comedy, make tutorials, you name it. Americans just go crazy for the accents... even the lower class/regional ones that make actual posh English people sneer.

You have no idea how shocked I was to learn a youtuber called "Northern Lion" wasn't from Manchester.

Codex Occultus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 12, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Is there any real difference from being posh and a snob? They sort of sound like the same thing to me.

Midig fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 12, 2017

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Some fun stuff about Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini can be found here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSLNGXbPvZM

The hateful comments from Gamergate's mixture of men's rights advocates and overlapping alt-right guys led me to this lovely chap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-R4azKhwZM

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The hateful comments from Gamergate's mixture of men's rights advocates and overlapping alt-right guys led me to this lovely chap.

Hoooooly poo poo. :popeye:

Edit: nah seriously everyone, everyone has to watch this whole thing

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 12, 2017

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

boner confessor posted:

Only in the 'religious studies' sense rather than "yay Christianity" way

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I can never be too sure if these things are parodies or not, especially when he seems to have a packet of Uncle Bens microwavable rice on the shelf in the background.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Gorn Myson posted:

I can never be too sure if these things are parodies or not, especially when he seems to have a packet of Uncle Bens microwavable rice on the shelf in the background.

yeah, bit of a show off. quite expensive, as i recall.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

OwlFancier posted:

It was when I went to school.

As to why they're all Brits I think the UKMT definition of the UK as "rainy fascist island" is apt. The UK never really stopped believing that its Empire was good and there's a bunch of people crawling out of the woodwork to advocate for all the best bits of British Imperial policy.

is there any country other than germany that doesn't look back on their imperial past with fondness?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Codex Occultus posted:

You have no idea how shocked I was to learn a youtuber called "Northern Lion" wasn't from Manchester.

:canada: represent! :woop:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Whorelord posted:

is there any country other than germany that doesn't look back on their imperial past with fondness?

Denmark? Dunno how they feel about what's now the US Virgin Islands.

But OwlFancier is right in that we really do view it appallingly fondly.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This thread proves there are too many unemployed white men.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Codex Occultus posted:

A disproportionate number of successful youtubers in almost any subject have some kind of UK accent for exactly that reason. Politics, video games, comedy, make tutorials, you name it. Americans just go crazy for the accents... even the lower class/regional ones that make actual posh English people sneer.

Northern Lion is also a perfectly reasonable, likeable LPer and not an alt-right clod, in case anyone gets confused. Because that is the sort of name they would use nowadays, isn't it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why do so many of them use mascots to represent themselves? It seems like a convention born out of nothing. Just show your gross fat faces like Carl of Sad.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Probably because they're terrified of the consequences of sharing their ugly opinions. For real, these guys will berate and dog public figures all day but they will turn real sanctimonious and play up the victim card if anyone tries to unmask them.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Also, these guys are loving morons, and probably string together multiple cuts, or read blatantly off a script, or both, and just recording audio makes it easier to splice together the poo poo they want to use. So it's cowardly AND lazy!

Look up Rocking Mr. E if you want what happens when you read off a script live.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

Probably because they're terrified of the consequences of sharing their ugly opinions. For real, these guys will berate and dog public figures all day but they will turn real sanctimonious and play up the victim card if anyone tries to unmask them.

this and also many of them are certainly steeped in le epic memery and if you find rage comics to be an appropriate form of discourse (or did, in more youthful days) you'd probably down with the brainless irony of an anthropomorphized innocent object sharing the raw truth about black on black crime

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Deified Data posted:

Northern Lion is also a perfectly reasonable, likeable LPer and not an alt-right clod, in case anyone gets confused. Because that is the sort of name they would use nowadays, isn't it.

I made a similar assumption about Jim Sterling for a long time because of his red-white-black banner/logo thing and his black shirt, gloves and trenchcoat attire looking a bit nazi.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Also, these guys are loving morons, and probably string together multiple cuts, or read blatantly off a script, or both, and just recording audio makes it easier to splice together the poo poo they want to use. So it's cowardly AND lazy!

Yeah he's terrible for that. His actual oration is worse too, like he reads aloud in the same way that bridesmaids do at all the weddings I've ever been to.

At least Sargon speaks to you instead of at you (relatively).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midig posted:

Is there any real difference from being posh and a snob? They sort of sound like the same thing to me.

You can be a snob without being posh, and posh without being a snob. Posh is what you are, snobby is how you act.

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah he's terrible for that. His actual oration is worse too, like he reads aloud in the same way that bridesmaids do at all the weddings I've ever been to.

At least Sargon speaks to you instead of at you (relatively).

Also I continue to be unable to take white nationalism seriously in a Welsh/west country accent.

Alright my luvvers, oo faaancies a bit of a pugrum eyy?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 12, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I made a similar assumption about Jim Sterling for a long time because of his red-white-black banner/logo thing and his black shirt, gloves and trenchcoat attire looking a bit nazi.

To be fair his "character" is sort of a mockery of the self-serious "gamer" anyway so he invites this sort of misconception to some degree.

As I recall from my Neogaf days he was Gamergate...adjecent(?) for a bit when there were still a few rubes who actually thought it was a anti-shill, pro-consumer thing but he's since done a 180. He's good people.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

OwlFancier posted:

Also I continue to be unable to take white nationalism seriously in a Welsh/west country accent.

Remember that in North America, there's just one (maybe two if you separate Cockney) English/British accents (not counting Scottish).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But he sounds like a member of the Wurzels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb63PdPweDc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Avenging_Mikon posted:

All I know about him is from the hbomber video and his twitter bio, which is "Upholding socially conservative and economically libertarian values, in a culture of moral insanity." :allears:

OwlFancier posted:

New UKMT thread title spotted.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

But he sounds like a member of the Wurzels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb63PdPweDc

I needed to look him up for proof of this, skipped to a point in the first video that came up, heard him utter the words "drafted in the great meme war" & promptly felt really sorry for everyone with a West Country accent, and also humanity as a whole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He seriously sounds like a farmer who got bitten by a radioactive 1930's political theory textbook.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I found out recently that FBI investigated Gamergate related threats that were released in January. Most of it consists of people loving bureaucracy while receiving death threats. Pdf to the whole investigation here:

https://vault.fbi.gov/gamergate

Two excerpts that come to mind:

>"In an attempt to discern if the language sounded familiar to him, Agents asked BLANK if anyone had ever called him a "Glorious Winged human being Extraordinaire".

>"He told me that he has probably called her at least 40-50 times with threats."

Mentions of swatting, bomb threats, endless amount of harassment. I had no idea the whole GG thing was this serious. If Anita ever makes fun of anime she might become a martyr.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 12, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Mentions of swatting, bomb threats, endless amount of harassment. I had no idea the whole GG thing was this serious.

Seriously? It's not like the victims of the threats and harassment kept quiet about it. There were tons of news articles about talks being shut down because of bomb and shooting threats. I'm shocked you were able to avoid exposure to that.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Some fun stuff about Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini can be found here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSLNGXbPvZM

That explains way more than I ever knew, thanks (the "Sarkeesian Effect is just ok" notwithstanding).

It also made me, a guy who gave up on being an editor and is now an accountant, feel better that it took Davis four months before he was able to produce 25 minutes of a rough cut. I once did a 12-minute short in less than a week.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I got halfway before I realized what he was trying to say. Yeesh.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Deified Data posted:

To be fair his "character" is sort of a mockery of the self-serious "gamer" anyway so he invites this sort of misconception to some degree.

As I recall from my Neogaf days he was Gamergate...adjecent(?) for a bit when there were still a few rubes who actually thought it was a anti-shill, pro-consumer thing but he's since done a 180. He's good people.
As far as I can tell not really. At least not by the time the general internet hate mob became formalized as gamergate. Jim's angry mboy about feminism days were well before gamergate was around. The closest thing was saying "hey maybe the gamers are dead articles were poorly timed".

Also I'm pretty sure that his character is meant to make fun of people who call him a fascist for giving zelda a 7/10 on his review site.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Seriously? It's not like the victims of the threats and harassment kept quiet about it. There were tons of news articles about talks being shut down because of bomb and shooting threats. I'm shocked you were able to avoid exposure to that.

Once I found out that the fuzz started with a rant from an angry ex-boyfriend claiming that his previous GF used her vagina to promote her indie game I pretty much tuned out.

Midig fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 13, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

Once I found out that the fuss started with a rant from an angry ex-boyfriend claiming that his previous GF used her vagina to promote her indie game I pretty much tuned out.

Heaven forbid you try to become less ignorant about a topic you seem to care about.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Heaven forbid you try to become less ignorant about a topic you seem to care about.

Why would I invest more time into what was seemingly some conspiracy/drama about gaming? I get it, Who What Now, Boner Confessor, and you have probably invested years into this poo poo. I was too busy being a "rational", cut me some slack.

Midig fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 13, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Did Gamergaters in general really think the likes of Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkeesian and Leigh Alexander were ugly or were they just attacking them in any way possible because uh

Like it was a frequent talking point and I still can't figure out if it was entirely disingenuous or not

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Lightning Lord posted:

Did Gamergaters in general really think the likes of Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkeesian and Leigh Alexander were ugly or were they just attacking them in any way possible because uh

Like it was a frequent talking point and I still can't figure out if it was entirely disingenuous or not

Bit of column A, bit of column B. GooberGaters pretty much scrape the bottom of every barrel when it comes to attacking their targets. Remember that entire thing where they decided that some of their targets having brightly dyed hair meant there was a Feminist conspiracy to turn off men with "SJW hair"?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Terrible Opinions posted:

As far as I can tell not really. At least not by the time the general internet hate mob became formalized as gamergate. Jim's angry mboy about feminism days were well before gamergate was around. The closest thing was saying "hey maybe the gamers are dead articles were poorly timed".

Also I'm pretty sure that his character is meant to make fun of people who call him a fascist for giving zelda a 7/10 on his review site.

Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that alt-righters seem to know him well enough to remind him what a traitorous sjw he is in the comments under every one of his videos I'd have assumed he was doing a honeypot thing to trick unwary reactionaries into listening to pieces about why women playing video games is good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

one of these things is not like the other... (tho that's neither here nor there, their being ugly or attractive is immaterial to the issue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Why would I invest more time into what was seemingly some conspiracy/drama about gaming? I get it, Who What Now, Boner Confessor, and you have probably invested years into this poo poo. I was too busy being a "rational", cut me some slack.

I've invested almost no time into this besides the few minutes it takes to be aware of things happening in the world around me.

• Locked thread