Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is insanely noob to use a shield or lock on.

If by that you mean insanely OP.

Source: I lock on more than I don't and having a shield that gives you the option to block and dodge is twice as effective as just dodging right?

Edit: he defends the elevator. He defends the elevator! Which would be fine if the devs didn't already admit they hosed up there.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm going back through Lindsay Ellis' back catalog and her Lorax review is quaintly dated. Like corporations and corporate apologists being literal captain planet villains is just a thing now, no longer a strawman.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Maybe play other darks souls than 1, noob

You're sickeningly un-gud, to be frank.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I clicked on the video for like a second, saw a lovely MS paint octopus with a top hat and a monocle, and assumed it had to be someone dumping on the whole "add cargo-culty classy poo poo to thing, screech about women and brown folk" thing. You mean it's real?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That bear he uses is from Total Drama Island

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hbomb got his Bloodborne video plagarized

lol at him claiming to invent the concept of play conditioning, though

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I was mostly kidding, and I think Hbomb was mostly kidding about how unique his "play conditioning" revelation was too.

I mean the copycat video is almost completely his point-for-point, it's not about the guy copying his grand "play conditioning" thesis.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Some bosses can be viscerally, pants-shittingly hard like Orphan of Kos or Manus, where no deal of calm-headedness will really help you and you just have to be good at the game to kill them. I agree that most of the series is a pretty straightforward problem to solve, but there's a couple exceptions.

Contrary to a lot of hbomb's points though, I do feel like sword and board is not only a viable way to tackle most of the base game in Souls, but maybe the most viable way. Turtling isn't how you use a shield in Souls, you pull it up at the last second to keep your stamina regen up and alternate between one and two-handed stances

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
You do - you just keep your shield ready for when there isn't an opening but there's an axe flying at your head :shrug:

Or dodge too i guess but maybe you care about your positioning at the moment more than you care about stamina loss.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Sorry to intimidate you with my world-class shield guy skills

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

What it is about video games that everyone else on the internet who fights fascists gets but I don't? I'm like 80% all-in on every bob and weave this thread takes but I can't loving stand video games.

There's lots of different kinds and probably some you'd like if you tried them.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i only play the dark souls/bloodborne games as they have ruined all other video games for me. i'll be with you soon enough.

Play Nioh

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Two schools of thought:

A)The Matt Christman. No such thing as moral consumption. Everything is evil and counter-revolutionary. Any time spent gaming is time you could spend protesting, chain smoking, or posting ironically.

B) The end game of leftism is shrinking time spent at work and growing time spent at home, pursuing hobbies, however trivial. Gaming is a hobby. The revolution needs to happen so i can play Civ all day.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
"Gamers". People that play games and live otherwise well-adjusted, balanced lives, however, are cool.

Also there have to be some cool people in the hobby to rub its increasing inclusiveness in their faces.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 7, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

This dude is having to make parody accounts step up their game.

I know I'm hosed in the head because I looked at the guy's handle and thought it was some sort of h3h3/jontron collab.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My step-dad is a long-haul trucker who was apolitical for 40 years of his life until he got bored and turned the dial to Rush one day and then started having serious doubts about our then-President's heritage and whether or not it was okay for a "Muslim to be in the White House".

I think "convincing" is the wrong word. People like Rush take an empty political vessel like my step-dad and "fill" them with a perspective they never bothered to consider before out of laziness, apathy, or both. I think this could be accomplished by a leftist voice too, if there was one, but I recognize the built-in advantage conservatives enjoy, insofar as it's easier to convince someone that their problems are someone else's fault instead of a system they've paid into their entire life.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Really though, there's no mode of communication a liberal can engage in with a conservative that won't come off as sounding whiny (if empathetic), or smug (if righteous). Unlike American conservatism which is a political strategy more than it is a philosophy, liberalism and leftism (to different degrees) are a moral imperative. I can't describe to my racist parents why i'm not racist without raising an accusation at them, unspoken or otherwise. I can't convince a rich man why he should pay more of his money forward without implying that he didn't earn his success (he didn't).

So what do you say to these people?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I do hate the right but I assure you it's a very rational hatred.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

This but unironically

Good news, my post contained no irony!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yall should question whether the guy doubting that loving Sargon of Akkad is actually as racist and sexist as his many, many racist and sexist videos portray him to be is arguing in good faith or not. It should not be this easy to get trolled.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
YOU ARE NOT ENGAGING IN HONEST DISCUSSION

Please be courteous of other posters ignore lists, etc.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Monglo posted:

Using terminology like "racist" incorrectly devalues both the word and your position.
If you're a person calling PewDiePie a Nazi racist, it's clear you have nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion.

Agreed, racist describes him and his actions just fine, there's no need to throw in nazi.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have friends who think casual racism and misogyny is "dark humor" and I can't wait for that mindset to die a quick death.

"A guy got in trouble for making his dog sieg heil, truly this is the death of discourse" :ohdear:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Don't you get it guys it was all about how crazy and divided we are, man.

That you can get a couple third world guys to wish death to Jews in a language they may or may not understand for free money and laffs, what's the world coming to.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Dude he paid someone else to do the racist joke for him, how could he be racist

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

This isn't YouTube, but I want someone to get grandpa off the internet:

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/891859995628785664

Well I guess I learned something new about the Shat. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

"a woman's place is in the fridge"

I like to think we all belong in the fridge

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The context was a woman in the audience saying that she looked up to Captain Janeway and Kate Mulgrew saying "a woman's place is on the bridge." Just so you know how lovely he is. Maybe Dahmer lovely, depending on how you take it?

Doubly lovely for going with such a weak pun.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Doesn't really meet the "intellectual" requirement for this thread (though, do they ever?) but Nick Robinson of Polygon and Cool Games Inc fame is getting ousted for being a creeper to fans on Twitter. He hasn't defended himself against any of the accusations yet (horndogging female fans, asking for nudes via DM) so it's looking like it's probably all true. He's definitely leaving Polygon and CGI is probably done too, which really, really sucks. Not that he can't be replaced as Griffin McElroy's foil but the two were close.

Basically what I'm asking is what are the odds of him going full Nazi like almost every other Youtube guy who bumps up against "political correctness" even once. He never struck me as that kind of guy unlike Jontron or Pew "RAPE!" Diepie but he was good at hiding it, I guess.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Brothers are perfect and unsullied.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Griffin is a McElroy, Nick Robinson was the video editor at Polygon.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Contra is good, her new vid is good, anyone that has a problem with it probably needs the critical self-reflection the video promotes - hard or center left.

Say what you will about the left's fractious nature and tendency towards infighting - traditionally we are at least capable of looking inward.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

I mean yeah just lol if u weren't an athiest by age 7 sitting in a church service with the cub scouts thinking how the whole idea of god is just stupid

I think my soul was truly damned when I drew a thanksgiving hand turkey on the inside cover of a hymnal. Why else would they leave pencils back there? There was nothing else to write on...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Paul Joseph Watsons obsession with "being counter-culture" is so weird. It's very telling listening to any criticism of culture he's made that he's concerned solely with being edgy and contrarian and that he thinks he deserves to be considered cool now but he's really angry that nobody thinks he is cool so he just yells at much cooler people about how uncool they are because a lot of people think they're cool.

I guess that's the basis of the whole alt-right white nerdosphere, though.

Contrarianism is the defining ethos of the alt-right, more than racism, more than sexism, it's a vain desire to shout "nuh uh" in the face of a society that is becoming more and more socially liberal. It's the rebellion they care about more than the spirit of the rebellion, which you see in all these "conservative is the new punk" memes. These people would be tankies in another time. They're a side-effect of American Individualism's constant assertion that "maybe everyone else is wrong, and I'm the brave, lone innovator". It's an incredibly flattering way of viewing oneself and an easy trap to fall into for young men like PJW who have no social prospects and essentially no future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Contra is wrong that political violence stops being effective and tactical when it becomes fun. She also said that we are the better people in a way that implied she did not believe it, which I also disagree with.

Contra is wrong on both of those things but a sappy liberal she is not.

• Locked thread