Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, the fact that there are some alt-right/gamergate/whatever people who aren't Literal Nazis isn't really much of a defense.

Thunderfoot is quite leftist on some things though. He seems pretty anti-war, pro healthcare. Last time I saw a video of his he was anti-Brexit and for Hillary. However, he got a lot of poo poo for that since the fanbase he panders to does not like these ideas at all.

OP, why did the old thread get gassed (specifically) and how are we going to prevent this one from dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Looks like one more is about to rise up. Personally, i think he might make better videos then other people put "on the list" here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1291q0Jl5g

Midig fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 30, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

You guys might be overthinking this. It's easy to call yourself a rational if you are trying to debunk these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az8k0uzQ6sA

Besides, do theologians have any real say in politics? Why get into all the pedantry over a being that does not exist if you can more easily debunk some idiots who's beliefs might actually affect policy. I'm doing that white knight thing again. I understand why this makes them subpar "intellectuals" but you have to argue better for why it's such a bad thing that they go for low hanging fruit. Make better roasts guys.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 3, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Are you loving kidding me with this?

Look at the number of abortion clinics closing in red states and come back here and claim that theologians don't have any say in politics.

You seem to conflate normal believers and people who actually understand the Bible (theologians, historians, philosophers). There are way more believers and we live in a democracy where politicians make policy to appeal to their constituency. Public opinion has way more sway in politics than intellectual arguments behind the scenes. Low hanging fruit has way more companions on the same branch. Appealing to genuine intellectuals is overrated.

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 4, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

EDIT: I will fully admit that I'm surprised some of you have managed to watch full videos from people such as Sargon of Akkad and Paul Joseph Watson. The latter sounds like he's recording a dub for a Nazi propaganda documentary ALL THE TIME.

Paul is part of INFOWARS last time I checked.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

mojo1701a posted:

I'm still not 100% familiar with the context, but how did this actually come about? I mean, I get that he might be stupid enough to think he can debate a Ph. D, but how does one convince an academic to debate a YouTube idiot?

The way I see it a lot of rationals are eager to debate people who oppose their arguments, at least initially. When a Anti-Anti-SJW (for a lack of a better term) decides to debate them it's probably because they keep hearing that these people want a debate and indulge them on a rare occasion. If enough time passes you can overestimate them. Think of it like meeting someone you used to hate who you have not seen for years. You think that they might be cool now until they remind you of why you used to hate them.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

boner confessor posted:

he is the real deal my friend, the raw potato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBe09g3ALw

Even I have accepted that some people can talk about cuckoldry for 20 minutes with a straight face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kY7nQqe6HI&t=150s

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Can't believe I had hope for this guy. Four solid months should be enough time to snap out of it, but he just got back in, it seemed so promising for a while. Unsubscribing and not looking back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b20FTy86P84&t=602s

I might as well make a list here and check them off one by one and make sure I'm thorough this time.

Midig fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 10, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Is there any real difference from being posh and a snob? They sort of sound like the same thing to me.

Midig fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 12, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The hateful comments from Gamergate's mixture of men's rights advocates and overlapping alt-right guys led me to this lovely chap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-R4azKhwZM

I found out recently that FBI investigated Gamergate related threats that were released in January. Most of it consists of people loving bureaucracy while receiving death threats. Pdf to the whole investigation here:

https://vault.fbi.gov/gamergate

Two excerpts that come to mind:

>"In an attempt to discern if the language sounded familiar to him, Agents asked BLANK if anyone had ever called him a "Glorious Winged human being Extraordinaire".

>"He told me that he has probably called her at least 40-50 times with threats."

Mentions of swatting, bomb threats, endless amount of harassment. I had no idea the whole GG thing was this serious. If Anita ever makes fun of anime she might become a martyr.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 12, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Seriously? It's not like the victims of the threats and harassment kept quiet about it. There were tons of news articles about talks being shut down because of bomb and shooting threats. I'm shocked you were able to avoid exposure to that.

Once I found out that the fuzz started with a rant from an angry ex-boyfriend claiming that his previous GF used her vagina to promote her indie game I pretty much tuned out.

Midig fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 13, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Heaven forbid you try to become less ignorant about a topic you seem to care about.

Why would I invest more time into what was seemingly some conspiracy/drama about gaming? I get it, Who What Now, Boner Confessor, and you have probably invested years into this poo poo. I was too busy being a "rational", cut me some slack.

Midig fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 13, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I've invested almost no time into this

Don't lie dude.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

It really didn't take much reading, like a few minutes at most, to figure out the story. "Years," loving lol.

Not years to read yo. I mean as in "of course you know all this poo poo since you are so invested in it and you take it for granted that not everyone knows this stuff". But that's just the most reasonable way to interpret what I wrote and we can't have that now, can we? Hope this poo poo it is done now.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 13, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I wonder if it would be fun to make a shitlist and put a ranking on how horrible they are and make it into a sort of top 10 list. Criteria being:

-Sheer bigotry

-Carelessness on sensitive topics

-Smugness of their voice

-How much /pol likes them

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

You don't need to be invested in something to be aware of it. How is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

Of course, that is fine, but I just happened to not know about all of this.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Freakazoid_ posted:

Getting laid is the eternal excuse to dissuade anyone from having an opinion on something. It's as old as the internet.

You actually like avocado on toast? lol somebody get this dude some pussy

Some people pretend that poontang is the center of the universe. Even though this thread is about making fun of "rationals" that does not mean we should not try to be.

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 14, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

SteelMentor posted:

The start and end of their thinking is "Those loving whore :females: won't sleep with me... I'll show them by refusing to sleep with those slut whorey whore whores!"

It's peak pathetic, petty toxic masculinity.

Its weird how lack of self esteem can turn into a severe form of arrogance.

Midig fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 15, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

funny enough rolfe got loving dogpiled when he said he wasn't going to see and review the new ghostbusters. people calling him misogynist and poo poo.

That was my reaction as well. He was so mild and apologetic about all of it. He definitely got most of the poo poo because he was in a crossfire.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

unlike the pewds he has a lovely and manly voice.

Also a sincere voice. As a Scandinavian, I don't think that's a real accent.

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 15, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am not initially against the idea of being honest about some of the flaws of your own side (or at least some of the strategies used). However, some debate suggestions in the comment section makes me cringe a bit already:

>Respect. Also, get Crowder on here, that'd be an awesome debate

>If you want to start out intermediate, debate the YouTuber, 'Rags'. If you want a challenge, debate Ben Shapiro

>Invite Sargon of akkad

>Invite Hunter Avallone and LeafyIsHere

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Somfin posted:

I often wonder what would happen if you just played the Socratic irony card on every single thing that these fuckers say. Just let them spool out their underdeveloped philosophy out until it hits life story, then keep going until it becomes achingly, blazingly, un-ignorably clear that they're still not over the time Cassandra turned them down in high school and think that they would totally be getting laid more if she hadn't.

I feel personally attacked.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Somfin posted:

On the one hand, sorry about Cassie, I'm sure she'd still like to get in touch.

On the other, that was a classic cold reading trick- be vague enough and aim at people who want to get hit, and surprise surprise you land one.

In all seriousness my nice guy and "rational" thinking hit me at the same time when I was 16. A good friend snapped me out from the former and helped me on the process of slowly getting out from the latter.

Midig fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 17, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I cleansed my YouTube and I still get this poo poo. General opinions on this guy folks?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJefiibHL4

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Not this poo poo again. Thread will be gassed if you don't talk poo poo about "counter arguments".

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Jordan Peterson smells a bit like MRA/TRP. Dragon, gold, virgins, alphas. Professor at work here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Hez7iYAHo

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 18, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Carecat posted:

Technology fetishists are frustrating. Yes technology has changed (most) of the world but the cool toys are just for the first world, even there we have massive inequality and are doing little about pollution. We have a lot of issues today that aren't going to go away with mass market electric cars and there is no sign of the nanotechnology or AI in the near future to make your dreams come true. Stick to issues within the next 10-20 years and don't assume technology will fix everything, as we see with nuclear power failing to replace fossil.

You can rely on technology to take away jobs though so we always have that.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Breivik sympathisers are of course right wing and highly conspiratorial, idiotic and racist. My deep desire to see good in all people makes a conversation about it highly painful.

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 18, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

boner confessor posted:

he's such a staunch leftist

Dat feel when leftists lose all sense of perspective*

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/6cq5qh/altright_memer_stabs_a_black_man_rnews_debates_if/

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Thunderfoot firing shots at Sargon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEIzdLp5BX0

Just 15 seconds into the video and I'm thinking:

>Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds talk about Anita Sarkeesian all the time forever.

Otherwise pretty uneventful, he pretty much just opens audio editing software and goes into detail about how it is not edited. Somehow its 15 minutes long.

Midig fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 25, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The pedantic Romantic defending the honour of anime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV8MIpt1oGs

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

I think a big part of it is that a huge portion of some of these folks' viewing base are literal teenagers (this is at least definitely the case with Defranco and probably also Laci Green). Teenagers don't really have a developed or normal (for an adult) sense of whether behavior is awkward and often just sort of assume "if this person is relatively good looking and energetic in their mannerisms, they must be also be funny", so a lot of behavior that is clearly kinda strange or awkward to adults comes off as really appealing to them. I think that "super random monkeycheese" humor is probably the best example of this, at least when referring to my generation (went to high school 2000-2004).

There's also an element of Youtube-specific culture and behavioral norms that seem really weird to anyone not already immersed in that "community".

You also have to make jumpcuts and cartonish facial expressions to get your feelings across. When i think about it Kevin Logan does the latter a lot though but only with his left eyebrow.

mojo1701a posted:

I mentioned this about thunderf00t's video posted earlier. Dude could've easily said his piece in 5 minutes, instead of, what, 25? He had one main point that was "The skeptic community is full of assholes that'd laugh at someone's murder because they're not 'on our side'" stretched out with other bullshit including a literal two-minute hate about Anita Sarkeesian.

Thunderfoot always had long videos though, like his "Why people laugh at creationists" series. My impression of those videos is that he makes up all his points and sums it up repeating his message to make it clear. Now, however he just makes his points and every time he makes a new point he utters the same line. For example in one of his latest videos he keeps repeating *BEFORE THE BODY IS COLD!*

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 26, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I will admit about HBomberguy's videos is that, while they're good at owning dumb Youtubers, it's a little cringeworthy when he does that "obviously forcing himself to act like he's laughing a bunch" thing. Like I get that he's trying to indicate that the clip he just showed (or whatever) is so dumb/bad that it warrants a bunch of laughing, but it's really obviously being forced on his part.

I knew I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I don't think his laugh is fake

Your opinion is wrong.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Or a smarmy oval office who is funny.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Archer666 posted:

Coming across Sargon's old stuff and he reveals himself as a 9/11 truther. Cause you know, he didn't have negative credibility already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgNfH52PG_8&t=206s

It makes sense though. Most of the people I know who are dumb as poo poo believe in conspiracy theories. Not finishing high school and being a 9-11 truther goes hand in hand.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Mewnie posted:

Oh my God this keeps getting better.

:lol:

I hope there's a bumper crop of videos this week.

845 people. Good luck with that.

EDIT:

On a serious note, I would join any petition for Bethesda to fix their games.

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 30, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

AFAIK he wasn't a nazi and the charge was stupid and mostly manufactured by media hysteria. He isn't remotely wrong about how the British press works.

Considering the stuff our press and politicians say themselves on a daily basis I find it really difficult to be happy about some rando getting sent to prison for far less objectionable material as it probably will gently caress up his life.

The law, sadly, is not applied on those who most deserve it.

The worst is that some people here secretly consider this a victory. All it really does is ruin the legitimacy of similar cases. Personally, I think to lose your job is enough to make people think about the consequences of their actions if you want to argue that this is genuinely hurtful. Maybe I am ignorant about this, but something also tells me the company would only fire someone for such menial thing to save face so the media is most likely responsible for him losing his job.

Midig fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

BattleMaster posted:

"It was a joke/prank/"social experiment"" is not really a good excuse

Why do you guys keep comparing people who are trying to be funny with the "prank/social experiment" crowd? One is obviously joking while the other is obviously lying for cheap views.

Midig fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 31, 2017

• Locked thread