Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Lovechop posted:

wasn't his original username like, @firedfortruth or something? guy is basically just jerking off to himself at this point

Yup. Also, his website, firedfortruth.com has a painting of a person in a guillotine as the header image :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
"Hey guys, wanna have a klonvokation at my klavern tonight and play some d&d? Wait where are you going"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

This person is like a living embodiment of calmhitler.jpg.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

little munchkin posted:

probably not news to many people in here, but Anthony Fantano is getting outed as an alt-right guy at the moment. should be a spicy hot "I was only being racist/sexist as a funny joke" rebuttal video coming out soon
"

Lol he says deleted the entire channel because he couldn't monetize it, what a shithead

Also apparently he had Sargon on his podcast? Wtf does Carl know about music

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 4, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Reading some comments (why, I don't know), the defenses of Fantano are pretty evenly split between "it's satire" and "how can he be racist when he has a black wife?" Which is extremely predictable.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

BigRed0427 posted:

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/916120576825090048

Welcome to the poo poo show ladies and gentlemen.

Reading all this bullshit makes me wanna break something.

https://twitter.com/unburntwitch/status/916126307884265472
gently caress that guy

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I knew a lot of computer engineers who were "self made" dipshits, but didn't see them sliding into Nazism so quickly. Not sure about the S and M portions of STEM though. Scientists usually have some kind of understanding of social dependency (standing on the soldier of giants, etc) and Medicine requires at least a tiny amount of empathy.

The M in STEM stands for Math

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Jesus loving Christ. Report this guy to patreon, please.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I see he has another video that's titled "The Jewish Question" in the thumbnail and subtitled "Both sides." Definitely not clicking on that one.

Is this what a "radical centrist" looks like? "Some people say the Holocaust happened, others say Jews faked the whole thing, when really the truth is in the middle. Also,"

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 10, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

boner confessor posted:

no thats joss whedon in the pic, and as for the twitter person i have no idea who that is except they're a big idiot and probably permamad about women on the internet

Their pinned tweet:
https://twitter.com/mombot/status/823421396273369088

quote:

In late 2014, “GamerGate”, an ideological and cultural conflict within the gaming community, made 4chan inhospitable. I migrated to 8chan and started to take interest in the events surrounding GamerGate.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Is there a comprehensive rebuttal to the alt right/race realist IQ stuff? I’ve read enough over the years to know it’s bollocks but it’s be satisfying to read or watch someone tearing it to shreds.

Every time Stefan Molyneux blithely talks about the flow of people from a “high IQ” country to a “low IQ” country I have to go for an angry walk.

Here are two good articles by several psychologists that were written after Sam Harris brought Charles Murray, of "The Bell Curve," on his podcast. There's also this review of the Bell Curve by Stephen Jay Gould.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

boner confessor posted:

i do, there's more stupid people out there than there are calculatingly dishonest people

"Blue lives matter" people, on the other hand, are definitely not just stupid or naive. Considering how they seem to have adopted the Punisher logo as their defacto symbol, they know exactly what they're about.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
So Contra posted a thread on twitter about how she thinks people on the left shouldn't refuse to engage with "problematic" individuals, and it seems to be getting mixed reactions:
https://twitter.com/contrapoints/status/925397325232648193
This is probably a response to the conversation on Twitter the other day about a piece about her written by a TERF (apparently, I'm not familiar with them), and people's concerns about "signal-boosting" their views.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

business hammocks posted:

Do you have a link? Most TERFs argue in bad faith because they know that their positions are epistemologically indefensible, but Contra knows epistemology.

I believe this was the one. It's quite positive about Contra, but there was consternation over, seemingly, her engaging with the author, even if the author's TERFy views aren't present in the article itself.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Why did Singal tweet out that piece again now? It's more than a year old and it seems like he just did it to piss people off

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Glazier posted:

The best part is when people call him out for it by showing how the only retweets are transphobes, he uses Stefan Molyneux's catchphrase.

Oh my god

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ClancyEverafter posted:

So how should journalism about science that is being debated between scientists cover that science? Or should it not?

What are the specific critiques of the article, the things it got wrong, or the things it didn't cover that it should have?

For one thing, he didn't include any statements from patients or, you know, actual trans people.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Glazier posted:

Even though many came out after the article was published and said he interviewed them.

Exactly. It was pretty clearly a biased piece.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ClancyEverafter posted:

That's an incredibly bad faith assumption to make.

I don't see how people who spend their day-to-day careers, choosing to work with the trans community, are instantly outed as transphobes because their view of the science is different than yours, and I think it's pretty lovely of you to do that.

Would you say the same thing about people who perform gay conversion "therapies"? They're just trying to help them not be gay anymore, just cause they believe in difference science than you doesn't make them homophobes, how dare you make such an assertion!

Have you even bothered to seek out how trans people feel about Singal/Zucker before getting into a fight on SA about it?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Desistance is, by and large, bullshit, and arguments such as those presented by Singal hand-wringing about it are also bullshit. The high figures that are still cited (i.e. "80%) lump together children who are merely gender non-conforming (e.g. A tomboyish girl who still identifies as female) with those who do actually identify as the opposite gender. Also, in two of the big desistance studies, who interviewed participants in childhood and adolescence, 45% and 63% of participants did not return for the follow-up interview, so the researchers just assumed that they all had desisted and included them in the results anyway. Also these studies tend to have very low sample sizes and they're generalizability is not great, even if their methodologies weren't poo poo.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ClancyEverafter posted:

Alright, post some links and we've got something to work with.

Normally I'd tell you I'm not gonna do your homework for you, but why not.

These articles go over the problems with these studies, as does this presentation. A different, more recent study that only looked at children who actually identified as the opposite gender, found that "transgender youth are statistically indistinguishable from cisgender children of the same gender identity."

Please consider reading the actual report that resulted from the investigation that ultimately led to the closure of Zucker's clinic, and don't just rely on Singal's biased article. Just some things I noted skimming over it:

quote:

-In a German study (2014) which interviewed 13 international experts in the area of gender identity, 11 of these 13 stated that the approach and methods of the CAMH C&Y are unethical. The 2 who stated it was ethical was [redacted] and Dr. Ken Zucker.

-[A former client, now an adult trans person] recall being unclear and confused about the process, the use of questionnaires, IQ tests and being told by Dr. Zucker that 'I was too smart to be trans.' They felt that they were asked many invasive and unnecessary questions, yet felt intimidated to express their concerns. They also described that the staff often misgendered them and that they were not told about community and medical resources available.

-...Two predominant themes emerged as areas of concern: the GIC appears to operate as a fairly insular entity, and the GIC is out of step with current clinical and operational practices.

-There appears to be a mismatch between literature research findings (including those from GIC itself), and clinical practice and approach. The wealth of factual knowledge tends to get lost in translation to practice. The approach to clinical practice appears to be filtered by a bias that assumes that most children presenting with gender variant behaviours require clinical intervention. This does not reflect the findings of the clinic's own research.

-We cannot state that the clinic does not practice reparative approaches (if not outright therapies) with respect to influencing gender identity development.
Bolding mine.

You have been mislead into believing that Zucker was simply using a different approach, based on different evidence in a field of science that was still in flux. This was not the case: Zucker's clinic utilized methods that were years, if not decades out of date, and their methods were not even consistent with their own research.

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 3, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ClancyEverafter posted:

This is great stuff and I will look into it, but seriously, how closely did you read the article? The "hairy little vermin" claim is given a lot of attention, and in the end, even the person who made the claim agreed that it couldn't have happened at the clinic.

edit:

The fact that even this claim is still be tossed out is one more thing that points to what I bitched about earlier, about how if you can't even agree on a baseline level of "this happened" vs. "this did not happen" that even the person who originally made the claim now disagrees with you on, then how the gently caress do we even have discussions that approach the rational.

Phone posting so I don't have it in front of me, but I missed that, apologies. But regardless, that's nowhere near the main point of my argument and if you honestly think that a minor oversight like completely destroys my argument then I don't know what to tell you. I made a mistake, yes: take that out and tell me if it changes anything.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ClancyEverafter posted:

It does demonstrate the shoddiness of the document that was used to shut down the clinic though.

NO IT DOESN'T. They interviewed former patients and wrote down what they said. That's what they are supposed to do. The report speaks pretty highly of Dr. Zucker in some regards, but it didn't change their conclusions. You've skated clear past the core of my argument that was in direct response to yours (that worries about desistance are unfounded and the clinic's methods were not based on evidentiary standards of the time) to nitpick, and you want to lecture about "rational argument."

Either way this is super off-topic now. I'm done.

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 3, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Hey Clancy, here's an idea, there's a Trans Issues thread in TGRS, if you actually care about this issue and want to learn more from actual trans people (instead of dumb cishets like me) why don't you go there and ask them how they feel about Dr. Zucker?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

boner confessor posted:

not posting is an option, you know. just throwing that out there

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Let's wrap this back around to YT:
https://twitter.com/hbomberguy/status/926239288261599232

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ClancyEverafter posted:

When was that? Because that would be some unabashed TERFy poo poo.

Receipts:

quote:

Since the open letter is all he’s got, Singal then attempts to rebut the objections put forward by it. The letter, for example, states that Tuvel dead-named a trans woman, using her pre-transition name in the article. Singal argues that the woman in question was Caitlyn Jenner, who has used her pre-transition name often in public, “It’s nonsensical to claim that once a very famous trans person has exhibited comfort using their old name and talking about their pre-transition life, any reference to that name or life is still verboten,” Singal insists.

Unfortunately for Singal, a persuasive counter-argument was made by Tuvel, author of the article in question. In a response to the criticism she writes: “I regret the deadnaming of Caitlyn Jenner in the article, which means that I referred to her birth name instead of her chosen name. Even though she does this herself in her book, I understand that it is not for outsiders to do and that such a practice can perpetuate harm against transgender individuals, and I apologize.”

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
So I've been going through Shaun's videos recently and holy poo poo, I think TL;DR makes me angrier than any of the other YouTube idiots. gently caress that guy so hard. I think it's the addition of a smug cartoon deer to the pedantry, anti-feminism, and concern trolling that pushed me over the edge.

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 4, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

SteelMentor posted:

Suggested Creators: Weev "Gluten made me a manlet" McShitcock.

Some great company there.

Well yeah, Hatreon is the Patreon for Nazis so

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
H3h3 had Jordan Peterson on their latest podcast. Didn't they used to not be poo poo?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
It's kind of ridiculous how he's convinced people that he's the smartest guy around instead of the clueless hack that he is. His belief that anyone who disagrees with him is a "postmodern neo-Marxist" and his willingness to completely dismiss whole academic disciplines that he clearly has no understanding of is weird enough, but his desire to wage war against those he sees as corrupters of western culture is pretty concerning.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

What the hell is a postmodern neomarxist?

Cos I think mostly just 150 year old marxism is good enough for me a lot of the time.

I think it's just a dog whistle for "cultural Marxist"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

JVNO posted:

Much of his work is centered around personality research (‘the big five’) and its correlation with various other traits like spirituality and political alignment. It’s medium impact stuff, but nothing particularly groundbreaking or awful. Personality research is still a bit of a crap shoot honestly.

As for specifically what classes he teaches? Well, I go to a competing university in southern Ontario- not the same university. So I honestly have no clue.

He's apparently not teaching anything this year. He's taking time off to tweet hot takes like this
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/928981541849522176

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

I asked him something similar, and he said that forcing someone to not say something (i.e. you can't say the n-word to a Black person) is different than if a trans person forced him to say something like "zhe" and only that pronoun.

This kind of shut makes me angry. The whole "made-up" pronouns thing is such a blatant attempt to delegitimize trans and non binary people by casting their desire for respect and equal treatment as unreasonable. It comes from the same place as the ranting and raving SJW stereotypes that you see in Ben Garrison cartoons. It allows them to maintain a veneer of respectability: no, they're not actually bigoted, they just hate those lgbtq people, you know the ones. As retweeted by JBP himself:
https://twitter.com/roamingmil/status/930211094508994562

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

TheQuietWilds posted:

Jordan Peterson bums me out more than any public intellectual I can think of, because there's some really good stuff in his lectures (especially his early ones when he was still just the 'Maps of Meaning' guy), and then he just poisons the well with some insane tangent a mile outside his academic expertise. Top tier grad programs should just show a video of him ranting about economics or linguistics and be like "and this kids, is why you should stay in your goddamn lane and just talk about things you know about."

He's definitely way too high off of the flattery of his followers to go back to his academic lane, I mean look at this poo poo:
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/930669376440856576

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Amos Yee is still horrifying and should probably be kept away from children.
https://twitter.com/shaun_jen/status/930843945357234178
https://twitter.com/21logician/status/930833347374452737

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Who knew ranting about Disney movies being Marxist propaganda could be so profitable?

Also, Bunty got banned from Twitter, but people don't really know why. Always figured he was more of the useful idiot type than actively malicious.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Monglo posted:

The existence of a person who trolls on the internet, but doesn't hold the views he's portraying doesn't seem that impossible to me. Is having a non-black/white worldview that difficult for you?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

How come there's very few youtube videos (and hell, even articles) out there debunking Jordan Peterson? He's been in the shitlord spotlight for a while now, but there's hardly anything on him from the Left.

Shaun, get on this please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Ideologues are destroying Western Civilization by *squints* teaching kids not to lick each other
https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/933343880640126977

• Locked thread