Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklVypazQsA

Today is a good day for the non-terrible YT intellectual community.

Does he cover the whole series? Cause I'm only on episode 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I do have to say though, as a huge Bill Nye fan, his new show's pretty awful.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The fact that the "rationals" or "skeptics" or whatever the hell they call themselves, like Armoured Skeptic have a huge right-wing following, despite believing in climate change proves that conservatives care more about making GBS threads on women and minorities than they do anything else.It's why I always laugh at someone like David Rubin claiming he's part of "the left" because he believes in raising the minimum wage (by like 50 cents).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

:siren: Potentially super unpopular incoming :siren:

I don't think any of the prequels are good movies, but I personally found them more entertaining than something like TFA. I think the prequels do a much better job of world building, and introducing new and interesting (if not, horrendously impractical) technology than TFA.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Giving Laci the most generous benefit of the doubt, is it possible that all these frog Nazis are actually liberal trolls?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hmm yes, the famously good-natured and sincere Blair White.

If you guys are gonna keep calling me a nazi, well poo poo, I guess I have to become a nazi. :shrug:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You guys know of this Bearing chap? He's like Sargon, but with 100 times more rear end in a top hat.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5AKjNjFEQA

Sargon has a new video :cry: about CNN being mean to that innocent possibly-a-nazi reddit user.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

lost from this entire discussion is the fact that the most powerful man on the planet got mad at a news outlet and reacted in the way you'd expect an edgy 12 year old would

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JVNO posted:

Was Phillip DeFranco ever good? Because I remember enjoying the odd video years ago, but now his whole shtick seems to be 'centrist stirring the drama pot'. Like YouTube TMZ. Did my tastes just improve?

I think DeFranco would be a thousand times more tolerable solely by stopping doing those annoying rear end jump cuts.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

business hammocks posted:

This will always be my favorite political statement on and by the gamer mentality vis a vis politics:

https://techraptor.net/content/gamergate-media-gave-away-america

This makes me never want to touch a video game ever again.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Again, an action that can be easily done without leaving their computers. The pepes aren't a significant force to worry about, the bulk of GOP voters just voted R like they always do, there was not some massive surge of young R voters.

The young overwhelming voted D, even with Hillary being a terrible candidate. Give them a good candidate and there will be a surge of young D voters, like we saw with Obama.

I don't know about that. I feel like the rise of Trump has and will continue to have major effects on the youth voting. Gamers, anime fans, and lovely message board trolls seem like ripe demographics to become tomorrow's Republicans.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

We are bad for not engaging people like Sargon as intellectual equals because

https://twitter.com/dvoeverie/status/884606058618134528

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Republicans voted for a guy who:

- called Mexicans "rapists", "drug-dealers" and "murderers"
- wanted to ban muslims
- consistently asserted that the nation's first Black president was born in Kenya

Either you like what this person says, or you don't mind it. And that being the case, it's really, REALLY difficult for one to give such a Republican the benefit of the doubt that they are in fact, not racist.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

laci green is a huge nerd and even before she redpilled i wondered why i was getting sex advice from her.

Being a huge nerd is not the issue here.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's got to be like SA demographics in the mid 2000s, like 17-22 nerdy white men. And like SA I've gotta figure that the user base will liberalize as they go to school and get laid and make friends and meet minorities

I joined SA back in 2004 (holy poo poo ) and I remember back in those days using slurs like "friend of the family" and "human being" and other stuff that conservatives used and continue to use was the cool thing to do. The irreverent nature of the place made it appealing, except that, even back then, this place was still quite liberal (I remember the 2004 election threads). Also, those slurs were never directed at any people that those slurs would normally be used for. It was just the vernacular at the time. Of course, eventually we grew out of it too.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Carecat posted:

Didn't watch the whole thing but the Laci Green hangout was a bit pointless as it was just her agreeing with everything as they defined basic stuff that would only be objectionable if you were easily triggered Alt Right. I don't know if it was so much her being a door mat as it was the content.

Laci using speakers for her own audio is a 10+ year old skype mistake :ughh:

So not worth watching/listening to?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hey guys!

Man, I am in a rush but I just wanted to stop by real quick to mention that out of wedlock births, drug use, and violent crimes have increased exponentially in the African American community since the Civil Rights Act was passed. Just thought I'd point this out.

Welp, gotta go!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SSNeoman posted:

What's she doing now anyway? Didn't she get canned for being in support of abortion by the powers that be?

No, you're thinking of the other blonde, neo-nazi, that's also named Lauren.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

One of them is like 20, right? Or is that another still?

Actually they're both in their early 20s

...man, they really ARE interchangeable :lol:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, I have to ask. What exactly is a TERF?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

rkajdi posted:

Trans exclusive radical feminist. Basically, a feminist who is convinced that trans people are their gender assigned at birth, and somehow trans women have a dramatic advantage in life, despite all evidence that the exact opposite is true.

now i'm even more confused than before

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

once again, you are unable to back up your claims with any actual examples of racism/sexism/homophobia, and instead you resort to claiming that the person in question said some things that you imagine that racists also sometimes say

what you're doing is making wild accusations that people are racist or sexist in order to justify hating those people, and attacking me when i ask for proof that these people are worthy of hating, and then resorting to personal attacks when the proof you attempt to present falls apart

that besides the godwinning and threatening to cover your ears and squeal loudly resort to your ignorelist

you are a conspiracy theorist, looking for enemies that don't exist and attacking anyone that reminds you of your enemies' nonexistence

In other words, anything short of Sargon calling Obama the n-word or stabbing Kristi Winters with a knife cannot by definition be racist or misogynist?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zikan posted:

in other alt-right news Stefan Molyneux continues to own self

https://twitter.com/stefanmolyneux/status/886710167794061312

https://twitter.com/gamblor5555/status/887015899491954689

:lol:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

It's funny to see the same people who attack the idea of college (and really education in general) brag about how high their IQ's supposedly are.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

I think it exists to counter Conservapedia.

But wasn't Conservapedia created to counter Wikipedia?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So when Pewdiepie made that dumb Holocaust "joke" a few weeks ago, I honestly thought it was a lame, misguided attempt at humor, but didn't think he actually held any racial prejudices like Sargon, ChrisRayGun, et al. But now he's apparently defending some right-wing, Polish politician who said that women have naturally lower IQs than men. Guess he has more in common with Jontron than I thought. :smith:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Why are we having a conversation on whether Jews are a race or an ethnicity? The point, I believe the original poster was making was that right-wingers like attacking them via "jokes", however you classify them.

rkajdi posted:

Just watched this video, and while it shouldn't be hilarious, it totally is.

1. The literal Platonic form of Nice Guy TM - "The girls don't appreciate your good qualities over these bad boys with their good looks and charm." Obviously these guys shouldn't have to compromise on looks or whatever superficial things they find most important. They're important and deserve whatever woman they want.

2. "She'll come around when she's 30 or so, but then you'll turn her down because she slept with other people." I doubt that any of these Nice Guys will appear any nicer at 30. And again, complaining about not getting sex while turning down a woman because you don't like that she's not some virgin.

3. "Women don't like Nice Guys because they can just go on social services now." Surprisingly, most people aren't on any sort of welfare payments, though I'm sure Molyneux will find some way to define it so that if you get a tax return, you're technically getting money from the government or some such nonsense. And of course there's nothing better than roping some poor woman into a marriage that she can't leave out of legal/social ramifications. I hear that makes for the best and longest lasting loves.

4. The line about women spending most of their 20s pregnant or raising a child back in the good old days. Couldn't imagine why women might want birth control or to avoid this.

5. There was no Friend Zone when Shakespeare was alive. Technically true, but women also couldn't tell their partners no, and could be married off by their fathers against their will. So yes, you didn't need to worry about getting turned down when the women you asked was seen as a piece of meat instead of a human being.

I'm sure I missed at least 2-3 other stupid points in this video. It's like he managed to pack an hour's worth of his normal stupid into a 10 minute video. I legit don't understand why there are guys nodding along with him, because they have to understand how pathetic it makes them look.

In my less mature days, I could see how someone who's been rejected by a lot of women would be smitten with this dude and people like him. They argue from the perspective that it's not your fault at all if a girl isn't attracted to you, and if she doesn't have enough common sense to give you a blowjob at any time, she's a selfish, stuck-up slut who deserves to be treated like poo poo by abusive "bad-boy" boyfriends.

Then you look back at what the implication is of such a mindset and you just want to take a very, very long shower.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, the extent to which the alt-right (and conservatives in general I guess) define their ideology by projecting their own feelings onto others is downright uncanny (I mean, everyone does it to some extent, but they take it to a totally different level). They end up reaching all these bizarre conclusions because they assume that everyone else is just as terrible and dumb as they are.

On the topic of dumb Youtube rationals/alt-right folks, I think I've decided that my least favorite of them all is Kraut and Tea. He somehow manages to come off as even more bitter and angry than his peers and strikes me as being the closest to going full-Nazi. Most of the others, like Sargon or Armoured Skeptic, just come off like some random dumb rear end in a top hat, but Kraut and Tea seems like the type who could very easily slip into literally wanting to genocide people (if he hasn't already). That one discussion with the other Youtube "rationals" that Shaun and Jen referenced during one of his videos is a good example; even some of his peers were like "what the gently caress dude."

This Bearing guy seems like a class-A shitheel as well. He was "debating" some lefty youtuber, and was the most rude, douchey and foul dipshit I've seen from the Rationals.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Harris Is an insufferable shithead because he, more than anyone else that I can recall off the top of my head consistently makes awful, bigoted opinions, and every time he's called out on it, he insists people are "misunderstanding" what he's saying. Then he attempts to "clarify" his position by making it sound a bit less horrible, yet somehow it still sounds just as lovely as what he was initially saying.

I honestly never liked him that much, even before right-wing atheism became trendy.

Groovelord Neato posted:

that was chris hitchens.

And he may have still wanted to bomb muslims afterwards, but at least you could give him credit for backing off supporting water boarding after that little experiment.
'

Monglo posted:

The article seems extremely biased. I mean if Sam Harris really said those words in the way its portrayed, don't you think Maajid Nawaz, a Muslim brown person, the podcast guest, would not object to it?

Um, not to profile or anything (LOL irony, right??), but that dude has been on the David Rubin program and they had a grand ole time agreeing with each other, and if you know that Rubin seems to have this curious habit of inviting almost entirely right-wing people on his show, well, then his muslin credentials don't really help much.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

fallenturtle posted:

FWIW, Carl claims he went to two years of Uni before dropping out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07qPpmsY7NM&t=3558s

Does the UK have a similar set up regarding colleges and universities as the U.S. does? Here, anyone can go to college as long as they're 18, but universities require either high school diplomas or a sufficient completion of college classes (usually two years worth in most cases).

If so, then I don't think he went to Uni. When he was being interviewed by Maddox and they brought that up, he kind of looked uncomfortable and almost ashamed when he admitted that he dropped out of high school.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

fallenturtle posted:

I think that's Maddox in the video I posted, so he lied and later admitted the truth I guess.

Oh whoops. Sorry, didn't click the link (youtube's disabled at work).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JVNO posted:

It's also very disingenuous to say 'Men choose higher paying jobs, women choose to stay home, and that explains the gap!' and assume that's the end of the conversation. Even if it were the case (it isn't - the gap tends to remain in most analysis even when controlling for a wide range of variables), it only leads to more questions. Like, 'why do predominantly male occupations tend to be better paid?', or 'Why do women choose to stay home and look after children more often?' and all kinds of cultural inquiries. Eventually, they'll have to concede cultural influences, which ought to be fixed, or they'll be forced to argue men are simply more competent and valuable than women.

Of course, all this is assuming an interest in an intellectually honest debate.

Yeah, Destiny kept bringing it up and Sargon just kept babbling on about how he agrees that society pushes women in certain career directions but also that it's not relevant or whatever.

And that's another incredibly annoying thing about him. When he's called out on poo poo like that, he appears to agree with the point the person he's speaking to is making, but somehow continues to simultaneously disagree as well.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So apparently Pewdiepie's now currently good friends with Alex Jones, Lauren Southern, and that Keemstar shithead as well.

If there was any doubt before...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Did Richard Dawkins actually know Rebecca Watson when he decided to chime in on the sexual harassment thing, or did he just feel the need to comment? I always thought it was weird the way he chimed in on the subject for seemingly no reason, given his focus on religious matters.

I also recall that he seemed to suggest dating underage girls should also be okay...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I do think there's probably a legitimate discussion to be had about platforms that are so massive and ubiquitous in our daily lives like Facebook and Youtube simply being more than just mere corporations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Here's an interesting article from the AV Club about South Park's role in creating the alt-right:

http://www.avclub.com/article/south-park-raised-generation-trolls-258253

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Anyway....so Maddox invited Destiny on his show yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_F6QT1cPms

The topic? Are anti-SJWs the new SJWs?

A couple of notes:

- Maddox really doesn't seem like a good debater
- I already disliked that Ruckus guy when Sargon was on, but holy poo poo, this dude is absolutely batshit.
- Ruckus cannot name a single piece of legislation that he thinks is something extreme SJWs are able to get passed, but is still making GBS threads himself ever waking moment about what might happen at some point at some undisclosed time in the future.
- Why is Ruckus even on here? I understand that it's fine to have people of differing opinions being on the same show, but they seem to actively hate eachother. Or maybe they're exaggerating for comedic effect? I dunno. Looked pretty serious at times for me.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Speaking of David Rubin, he was interviewed by David Pakman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EipJoOJrqgU

- He's not "liberal" but "classically liberal"
- Has no goddamned idea what either single payer or Obamacare is
- Doesn't ever call out people on his show because he thinks their words speak for themselves
- Thinks that stuff like trigger warnings are scarier than anything proposed by conservatives
- Does not seem to understand why only right-wing institutions invite him to speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fados posted:

Only 1 third in, but Ohh boy is this some delicious grilling of Rubin. Pakman may be a little too centrist at times for me but can he give a good polite low-key, but because of it even more vicious, grilling. I get shills listening the Dave "classical liberal" Rubin trying to squirm between his made up catch all ideology and the obvious fact that he's made pandering to the right wing under the cover of the 'marketplace of ideas' (ever heard of a more ring-wing concept lol?). So good.

Oh I forgot one of the best parts, where Rubin tried to make a case that Trump's tax policies were a good thing because that means he would be able to hire more people. Pakman then points out that he can already invest in his company and employees because those costs are already tax deductible, after which, Rubin has no counter so he simply goes to the "ethical" argument about taxation (which by the way is still stupid because he agrees that people have to pay taxes in a society, but that people should be allowed to "keep their money").

• Locked thread