Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
They wanted to do this movie on the original MST3K but were never able to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Welcome to... The Dark.

The film feels like an episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker but without any of the brisk pacing, humor, or Darren McGavin's overacting. So it's really just lots of night scenes and ugly 70s actors.

The Dark was made by the original incarnation of Film Ventures International. Could The Visitor be far behind?

The Dark was written and filmed with the killer being an abused child who'd spent his whole life living in an attic, but late in production they decided to cash in on the success of Star Wars and make the killer an alien.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Like when John Saxon just disappears from Mitchell. Because they cut his death in a dune buggy crash.

They only had an edited version of Mitchell to work with in the first place, so they weren't responsible for the awkwardness.

But they did sometimes edit movies, and it's strange to think that they could inadvertently improve them by editing them.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Here's something that was pointed out to me recently. For some reason the conference room scene in ROTOR is filled with Beach Boys references. Every character and their institutions are named after members of the band and places they lived or worked, and a number of song titles are dropped into the dialogue, like "I Get Around," "God Only Knows," "Rock and Roll to the Rescue," and more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0-9hX9xEw&t=386s

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Paper Kaiju posted:

I thought The Amazing Mr. X was pretty good.

muscles like this! posted:

It sure goes to some weird loving places.

Didn’t he end up on a space station wanting to apologize to a Narn? That totally lost me.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I just saw Attack of the Puppet People and it's a real MST3K reunion: directed by Bert I Gordon, written by "The Great" George Worthing Yates, hideous music by Albert Glasser, and starring John Agar, June Kenney, and with an appearance by Jack Kosslyn (though not Merritt Stone).

The movie also has a weird place in history: during the Watergate break-in, Alfred Baldwin was supposed to be keeping a lookout but he was watching this on TV and was apparently so preoccupied that he didn't notice the police arrive and failed to warn the burglars. So basically this movie is responsible for Nixon resigning (may be an exaggeration).

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Arachnia: Feels like they really wanted Bruce Campbell to play the lead. And he asks the black woman how she can have a British surname, and it turns out it's because she was adopted by white people. I know the Vermont-based writers might have never met a black person, but seriously?

Hillbillys [sic] in a Haunted House: Sad to see three horror icons in this. Rifftrax cut about twenty minutes, probably because it was more country music. (You might've seen Merle Haggard in the credits but he isn't in Rifftrax's version.) Ferlin Husky was apparently the first person to record Bob Ferguson's "Wings of a Dove." I wonder if they ever tried to sue the composer from Boggy Creek II.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Here's a question, how the hell was Star Games made in 1998? It looks more like it was made in 1988.

I thought it really was from the ‘80s or early ‘90s until I saw the kid playing Doom.

I’m guessing Clark’s kids wrote the dialogue since characters in his other movies do interact at least somewhat like human beings. And it was weird knowing it was basically a Clark family therapy session. Still it was interesting to see April from Angels Revenge twenty years later.

Also the creepy clown was the same guy who played the creepy Club Scum MC in Hobgoblins.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Trucker's Woman. Oh for the days when you could literally stalk and assault a woman to get her to like you. It was directed by the same guy who did The Starfighters. His life must've been either really interesting or really dull. Also the guy they say looks like Dr. Giggles really is the guy who played Dr. Giggles (and the villain in Darkman).

In case you thought you imagined it:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Missile X: The Neutron Bomb Incident is on Amazon Prime and man that movie was made at an awkward time as it was filmed right before the Iranian revolution. And the movie was filmed/set in Iran.

There's even a scene where Graves goes to the US embassy in Tehran, and it was filmed at the actual real embassy. The movie wasn't released until December 1979, when it was already out of date.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

But one that really mystifies me is in Independence Day at the start of the climax with the counterattack. General guy says don't fire until the package has been delivered and Kevin says "Wait, break off the engagement. We've just learned the old penny in the jar thing IS true."

There's an old joke that if you put a penny in a jar every time you have sex in your first year of marriage and then take one out every time you have sex after the first year, you'll die of old age before the jar is empty.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Davros1 posted:

High School USA, starring Michael J Fox and a whole slew of 80s TV stars. This used to get rerun on my local station in the 80s all the time.

NBC tried to make this into a series, and that has something of an MST3K connection:

quote:

No less a personage than NBC president Brandon Tartikoff chose Hodgson to star in a sitcom that he was personally backing. That meant the show would have a guaranteed run, and, of course, it meant an offer of big bucks to Hodgson: $10,000 a show to start. Hodgson turned the offer down.

"All I knew is that I didn't want to do that show," Hodgson says. "It was called 'High School U.S.A.' and was a really dumb 'Animal House' type of show where the ragtag group of losers band together and beat the big fraternity guys. When I turned them down I thought that would end it, but all they did was double the amount of money they offered me. They were already going to pay me a stupidly large amount of money, and they doubled it because I was this dumb kid comedian telling them their show wasn't funny.

"Hollywood needs a lot of confidence going into these projects because so much money is involved, so they were basically trying to buy me because I didn't agree with what they were doing. But to me it just seemed, 'Why try to make high school kids think that's what high school is, in the name of being funny?' I felt a lot of responsibility and didn't want to sell away all those kids' perceptions."

[...]

In the end it was the offer of the sitcom that convinced Hodgson he had to leave show business. He was depressed by the shallowness around him, and he had no friends his age who could understand what he was feeling.

Joel's disillusionment led him to move back to Minnesota. Only one episode of the series was made, and it was burned off over Memorial Day weekend.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
They didn't release the short they did, so maybe they're holding it for next year. It was the same one Trace and Frank just released for free anyway, so they won't be competing with each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wej4TubDupw

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dienes posted:

We watched it last night - its a very weird heel face turn without the What-If sequence. I forgot, or didn't realize as a kid, how terrible George is.

What was missing?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

By popular demand posted:

The script writer has stated that he wrote the movie as a spoof only for the director to attempt to make something serious with predictably terrible results.

The scenes at their headquarters are so goofy with the robot and Shoeboogie that they feel like they were made by a completely different group of people from the other stuff.

I pointed this out another time but pay attention during the conference room scene because it's inexplicably filled with Beach Boys references:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0-9hX9xEw&t=386s

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Someone else remembers Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey:

I think I got all the others: Jack Frost, Pac-Man, He-Man, Baby New Year, Chewbacca, and Olive the Other Reindeer.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/RiffTrax/status/1478125476107354112

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

That DICK! posted:

are there any joe estevez rifftrax other than rollergator?

San Franpsycho and Baby Ghost, both from the same people who made Rollergator.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The newest short is "The Tale of Baby Moose." It is identical to "The Tale of Moose Baby" except someone redubbed it so that the title animal is called Baby Moose instead of Moose Baby.

https://www.rifftrax.com/the-tale-of-baby-moose

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Don't know if I've ever seen a movie release that actually includes the Rifftrax version before.

Kino Lorber did Blu-ray releases of The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant and The Astro-Zombies with Rifftrax and other extras. Unfortunately with Astro-Zombies they treated the Rifftrax as a typical audio commentary so the volume of the movie is really low and you can't hear what anyone's saying. I spent the movie turning it way up when the Rifftrax guys weren't talking and quickly turning it down when they did say something. I haven't watched their digital version so I don't know if they fixed it. The Blu-ray of Two-Headed Transplant is fine though.

Also, it turns out that "Baby Moose" is different from "Moose Baby" even aside from the name change: it's edited somewhat differently and some of the other narration is changed. You still have to wonder why they bothered though. Maybe they had a contract to make a certain number of shorts and ran out of money so they just redid one slightly and said it was new.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 1, 2023

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

quote:

But those kids are wrong to be afraid too, Mom says. The world is full of scary things Billy, and everyone is afraid, but you shouldn’t be, because being afraid is wrong.

That reminds me of the short "If Mirrors Could Speak," which says that being sad is selfish but you can stop being sad simply by not wanting to be sad.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

quote:

It’s time for GrimTrax! For the first time ever, we’ve assembled five shorts about death, loneliness, and dismemberment into one big, old-fashioned yukfest.

On their own, they would have been too depressing to put out into the world. But together, they form into a Voltron of hilarity, if Voltron was eventually going to die facedown in the snow, sad and alone.

GrimTrax has it all: Old women. VERY old women. Factory workers getting maimed so badly it would make Chuck Hamlin blush (if he wasn’t already dead. From maiming.) Alcoholic NBA fans. Kids who get ignored to death. And a short that we actually recorded way back in 2012 and decided not to release until now because WE DIDN’T KNOW IF YOU COULD TAKE IT! So please ignore any jokes in that one about Linsanity or Gangnam Style, trust us, they were hilarious at the time!

Featuring host segments from Mike, Kevin, and Bill to guide you through the gloom, GrimTrax is the perfect entertainment for a dark winter evening. Watch it with your favorite Very Old Woman… IF SHE CAN HANDLE IT!

https://www.rifftrax.com/grimtrax

The shorts include the legendary "Cipher in the Snow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Eventually they have to do Teen Witch.