Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If anyone wants to check it out for free, Pluto.TV recently added a Rifftrax channel. I'm not sure what episodes are in the rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Canned Panda posted:

Wow... Star Games is so WEIRD

How the hell did Tony Curtis end up in this?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just started watching Star Games - what the gently caress is Tony Curtis doing in a sci-fi movie?

e: What the gently caress am I watching here?

I asked that here when the Riff came out. Best guess is he owed the Clarks some favors or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Isn’t Lowtax doing a video for one of these live shows?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If they pump out a new riff every week, 5 or 6 bucks a month isn't bad at all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

It also has Trace, Frank, Mary Jo, Bridget and Paul F Tompkins all doing shorts too.

The Paul F Thompkins stuff is worth the price of admission.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That was loving terrible. Not even Rifftrax could make it watchable. First time I’ve ever fallen asleep watching a Rifftrax live or VOD.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The riff was fine. The movie itself was so loving bad. I'd have rather watched 2 hours of British safety videos. Those flammable jeans were loving hilarious.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Well that's another piece of the "Why the MST3K reboot sucked balls" puzzle.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What should I spend my ten bucks on?

I guess I'm looking for what you might call a 'deep cut.' I've seen all the live shows and pretty much all of what would be considered popular episodes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's got to be one of loving weirdest movies I've ever seen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It’s a great movie

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've seen Krull before but I don't recall it being such a hard watch. I don't know if it was because I was tired but that's the first Riff where I've fallen asleep.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Movies like Spiker are my favorite type of exploitation movies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Paper Kaiju posted:

My favorite part is how the film's climax is Catch deciding to quit the team over a petty reason, thinking about it for a while, then changing his mind at the last minute.

I also liked how his nickname was Catch, despite his dedication to a sport where catching is not allowed.

That's why I love/hate these movies. These movies are always 90 minutes. 70 of it is just padding. Then with about 20 minutes left some sort of plot or conflict is introduced that is almost immediately resolved.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The new Mary + Bridget riff is really good. Early 90's Cannon. Mike Dudikoff, Steven Dorf, Mickey Dolenz' daughter, Peter DeLuise.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 24, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

What about Golan/Globus? Their catalog would be a treat. Firewalker! It’s got Lou Gossett AND Chuck Norris! King Solomon’s Mines!

Golan/Globus owned Cannon for a few years. Both of those movies listed are Cannon.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I remember seeing a story about them on 60 Minutes back the late 70s. They would go to film festivals and rent out a big room. On one wall would be a giant white board. Along one side was a list of movie titles and a grid across the side of each for investors and how much they were willing to commit.

The movies did not exist. If they got enough money, they would make the movie.

It's all in that documentary mentioned above. It's an absolute pro-watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So I watched RPO thanks to rifftrax and man, that movie is something else.

If you take out the pop culture references it's your typical power fantasy thing. Visually it looks fine for the most part. The references though...

There's literally lines where people say "Hey is that X??? I love X!!!" The worst one for me was the bartender with the costume from Devo's 'Whip It' video. The dude literally had the word DEVO on his chest. Like, why did they do that? Is it so people would know what it's from? It would be like if his Delorean had "BACK TO THE FUTURE" pasted on the hood of the car. So goddamn terrible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

X-O posted:

Trucker's Woman is out and it's one weird rear end movie. Christian Slater's insane (literally insane and now homeless) father stars as an obviously 40 year old guy who we are supposed to believe just dropped out of college to solve the murder of his father (a truck driver that is obviously a younger man than him). Our 40 year old college dropout protagonist sexually assaults someone in the first 15 minutes because you know it's the '70s and that stuff was totally fine then!

Trucker's Woman also stars Larry Drake aka the villain from Darkman.

If you're into exploitation flicks, definitely check it out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

A Talking Cat?!? is one of the top 5 funniest riffs they've ever done. I don't think I went more than 5 minutes without laughing. Holy gently caress did Eric Roberts phone that one in.

I think he literally did phone it in or at the very least they just fired up a Skype call or something for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Cynthia Rothrock

Daniel 'Future War' Bernhardt!

It's a christmas miracle.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah any top picks to spend this on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Duckula posted:

Jonah Ray is a charisma vacuum. The reboot suffers from people who are fanboys trying to emulate the thing they like.

That is the most succinct way to explain the problem with the reboot. It's a shame too because the movie selection for both seasons is really good for the most part.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Deadguy2322 posted:

It’s really sad to see the movies they are doing and know that Rifftrax would do so much better, but most likely won’t ever get the chance.

Anyone else notice that the new MST3K has two big problems when it comes to the jokes? I feel like they never give a joke time to breathe, and some movies seem like 75% of the jokes are just bad poop jokes.

From what I understand it's from a difference in writing the jokes. In the original seasons, they had a writers room. Everyone was together collaborating.

The new show is not like that. They have funny people just emailing jokes and stuff and I guess they pick what gets put in. It seems to not be as tight. Also Elliot Kalan is the head writer and he's about as funny as cancer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Or just buy Rifftrax because they're funny. You don't have to rationalize a loving thing.

edit: The Tupperware riff is really good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's really good.

The movie itself is pretty interesting. It's a pretty good concept, just done poorly.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rirse posted:

Guess nobody cares about the new riff on one of the movies they did for Filmcrew?

Killers from Space is one of my favorite bad sci-fi movies from that era. It’s perfect mst3k/RiffTrax fodder. I’m surprised it was never on MST3K. My guess would be they couldn’t clear the film rights.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm about halfway through it, and man, it's a hard watch. I love sleazy movies but this one is so slow and nothing happens.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You all may recognize the actor who plays Steve Chase. That is James Ryan, who was also in SPACE MUTINY. He was MacPhearson, aka the dude with the cane.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Latest episode is The Visitor.

If you've never seen this movie before, it's absolutely one of the most batshit insane movies you've ever seen. I honestly recommend watching the non-RT version.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i cannot believe feeders is 1996. it feels like late 70s

Really? Nothing in the movie looks 70's at all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Unkempt posted:

Just found out 'Tubi' has a bunch of stuff I hadn't seen and, wow, 'Godmonster of Indian Flats' is a hell of a thing.

Yeah don't sleep on Tubi. It has such a weird mishmash of stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Man posted:

I paid for a Shout! Factory subscription to go with my Amazon Prime subscription. I have seen so much MST3K in the last week that I have the lyrics to the Joel era mostly memorized. Manos: The Hands of Fate is such an utterly wretched movie. It is a loving miracle that the costume is so cool and an even greater miracle that anyone ever found a copy of this movie for the show to riff. I still can't even tell you what happens in that movie because my immune system treats all memory of it like a disease.

Is there anything on this channel that's NOT on their free shoutfactorytv website?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

RLM did that one and it is completely bizarre.

Yeah it's one of the more well known micro budget shot on video movies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

So I hope I'm not the only person who is constantly confused by at least some of the references in each riff. I figure they're mostly just comments on movies or TV shows I never saw as well as past current events I've forgotten about. Sometimes I'll Google it in hopes of finding out what it means.

But one that really mystifies me is in Independence Day at the start of the climax with the counterattack. General guy says don't fire until the package has been delivered and Kevin says "Wait, break off the engagement. We've just learned the old penny in the jar thing IS true."

I can't even begin to guess what this is in reference to.

That's gotta be rough. If you're not really familiar with movies, TV, and American pop culture since the 50's, that has to be hard.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is anybody going to see Jack-o this week?

The nearest theater is 90 minutes away for me, so no. I can't fuckin believe they're doing this in theaters via Fathom. There's ZERO reason for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That’s actually a pretty good movie but it’s riffrrax worthy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This morning on the Rifftrax Twitch channel they aired Star Games. Holy gently caress, this may be the most insane movie I have ever seen! The special effects are atrociously bad, the space prince's computer AI is a disembodied clown head and the whole movie has this bizarre outsider art feel to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQpr7c00EE

E: lol the king is Tony Curtis. Well that explains why he sounded like a two-bit New Jersey gangster wannabe.

I still want to know why/how Tony Curtis ended up in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/DumbIndustries/status/1478407574076768258

Speaking of Mary Jo and after school specials... TONIGHT

Jay Underwood and Bernie Kopek? Sign me the gently caress up.