Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Relin posted:

after seeing raw force on rlm i really wish they would do a rifftrax

Friend got me that for Christmas one year based entirely on seeing the cover. He was right to do so because the movie is amazing. I would've suggested it as a good Rifftrax target, but there's probably too much nudity.

Similarly, I'd love to see them do Kill Squad ("12 fists. 12 feet. 24 reasons to die."), but it's probably far too repetitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

With the shorts-based RiffTrax Live and the site reaching its 300th short, I'm adding to a listicle I did of the 25 strangest RiffTrax shorts. For anyone who's been watching those regularly, what are some good bizarre shorts they've done in the last 3 years or so?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's the original article from a few years ago, then hyping up the Night of the Living Dead live riff. For those who don't want to click, the old list is:

25. A Visit to Santa
24. Know for Sure
23. Magical Disappearing Money
22. The Creeps Machine
21. The Case of Tommy Tucker
20. Courtesy: A Good Eggsample
19. If Mirrors Could Speak
18. Tic Toc Time Clock
17. More Dangerous Than Dynamite
16. Let's Pretend: Magic Sneakers
15. At Your Fingertips: Grasses
14. Safety: Harm Hides at Home
13. Join Hands, Let Go
12. The Calendar: How to Use It
11. Courtesy Counts a Lot
10. Paper and I
9. Setting Up a Room
8. Vision in the Forest
7. Beginning Responsibility: Taking Care of Your Things
6. The Clean Club
5. Drugs Are Like That
4. One Got Fat
3. What is Nothing?
2. Perc! Pop! Sprinkle!
1. Why Doesn't Cathy Eat Breakfast/Petaluma Chicken

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CrashCat posted:

What the gently caress was that

Hillbilly Jim?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

muscles like this! posted:

Rock n Roll Nightmare: WHAT?

They live to rock and they accepted the challenge. Sums it up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

What are some good Halloween-themed riffs? I've seen Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare, Last Slumber Party, Ghosthouse, The Night Dracula Saved the World, Hillbillies in a Haunted House, Night of the Living Dead, House on Haunted Hill, Carnival of Souls, Silent Rage and Dark Power.

I still need to watch the Puppet Master one and I guess When a Stranger Calls Back. Anything else I should have on my radar?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's that thing I ended up writing about the 13 RiffTrax movies to check out on Halloween

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Last night I introduced the girlfriend to I Believe in Santa Claus. She got pissed at me for the scene of the ogre threatening to eat the puppy, then got mad again when they pointed out that there was no sign of the puppy during the escape and no indication that the ogre didn't eat the poor guy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RandomPauI posted:

Did you say "if I didn't laugh than I'd cry"?

No, I quit that crying business.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

In the meantime, I updated the Guide to Holiday Riffing.

HIGHLY suggest Gifts from the Air. It's probably the oddest old timey dancing toy cartoon they've watched yet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So I have good news and good news. The good news is that the riff for Batman v. Superman will hit on Wednesday. The other good news is that the Mads (at least) will be joining in.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I saw Jack Frost around the time it came out so I was both excited to watch the riff and a little apprehensive because it's the kind of schlock that is self-aware in its badness. But it turns out the movie is worse than I remember by failing to competently ape Freddy Krueger's style. Jack Frost's one-liners are the worst and the Rifftrax guys do a good job of jumping on that.

The riff that absolutely killed me:

*one guy starts vomiting out white gunk onto the street and dies*
Mike: "Golden Corral's new slogan!"

They also edit down the most infamous scene of the movie and toss in a riff a few seconds later that anyone mad about that is probably a pervert.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I watched the Improve Your Pronunciation short via Night of the Shorts and I have never been angrier watching a Rifftrax video.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's a great YouTube channel/series called Defunctland that's all about the history of defunct amusement park rides and, to a lesser extent, amusement parks. Stuff like Jaws, ExtraTERRORestrial, Superstar Limo, Captain EO, Action Park, etc. On the Facebook page, months back, I suggested the idea of doing an episode about Pirates World, including its relation to Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny.

Today the season 2 trailer was released and I'm pumped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW1OzKvZE4c

That is definitely some Pirates World footage in there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Let me just break down how The Curse of Bigfoot works.

The movie starts with an interminable scene where a monster very slowly moves through some woods toward a house. The monster finally reaches the house and then the scene ends. Cut to:

A professor turning off a projector who starts to talk about monsters and then we learn that the previous scene was a movie? The professor talks about Bigfoot and how two loggers met Bigfoot. Cut to:

A long scene of logging culminating in two dorks stopping their truck, getting out and wandering through some woods until one of them gets killed? Cut to:

Back to the class where a guest lecturer shows up to talk about Bigfoot and says the following story happened to him and that all the people involved are institutionalized. Cut to:

The actual movie which is about a high school teacher (the narrator), an archaeologist and a grip of students who are going on a field trip to a small town in Oregon which has an Indian site nearby. They eventually encounter a monster, which has nothing to do with Bigfoot as it is some kind of ancient mummy they find buried in a mountain cave. Also nothing happens to any of the students that would drive them crazy as the monster is handily defeated with very few deaths. Once they defeat the monster the movie just ends without going back to the class.

The whole thing is weirdly constructed and kind of feels like someone pieced a film together out of separate parts.

I finally watched this based on this post and I'm kind of disappointed. The structure of the movie is just as awful as you described, but it's so boring and unwatchable that you can't have enough fun with how stupid it all is. Like, if this was in any way enjoyable to sit through, this movie would be up there with Manos and the Room.

It's kind of like RiffTrax's Monster A-Go-Go.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RandomPauI posted:

Lowtax gave a clue about the movie in another thread. An Italian movie with a boat. I'm putting my money on it Rifftrax's first animated feature. Titanic: The Legend Goes On.

Who couldn't love a cast of characters that includes "a family of Yiddish mice, some geese, a dog named Fritz, a magpie named Hector, and a band of Mexican mice."

Edit: The Yiddish family wouldn't include Fievel, he made the trip over in 1885.

So what you're trying to say is... it's party time?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Steamed Hams joke got the biggest reaction in my theater. That and the guy so smug about how he had the longest sleeves.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I watched Merlin: The Return and despite being released in 2000, it somehow features the most 1991 kid possible. Who for some reason sleeps with his leather jacket on.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That movie is really one of the most perfect RiffTrax targets I've ever seen. I feel like there's three stages of batshit to it. It starts off as a stupid, cheap movie and you get used to the dumbness while gradually accepting the stupidity of Eric Roberts' terrible voice-over. Then about 2/5 into the movie, the cat starts actually talking and we're in a different tier of WTF. By the time you get used to THAT and the movie normalizes again (and Ms Boods is right, that bit with the two boys sort of works in comparison to the rest of the movie), we get the part where the cat gets hit by a car and things go completely off the rails.

It reminds me a lot of those SNL skits where Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennnett would do low-energy parodies of 90's sitcoms and there would be a bunch of nonsensical establishing shots in-between scenes.

Me and my fiancee watched the movie last night. Today, we were at a birthday party and somebody offered us cheese puffs. We looked at each other like when somebody in a movie realizes, oh no, it wasn't all a dream.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I decided to rewatch the first Rifftrax Live and, man, the extra stuff sure isn't missed. Random people in the audience lovingly singing along to Jonathan Coulton is still cringeworthy as hell.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

admataY posted:

Cheespuffs .

Next month me and my fiancée are hosting a bad movie marathon party. First one we did was The Room, Birdemic, Samurai Cop and Miami Connection. This one will be Snowman, Book of Henry, A Talking Cat!?! and Raw Force. The one thing that we know is absolutely on the menu is cheese puffs. So many cheese puffs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I wrote up a big RiffTrax Live guide. Now I feel like watching Miami Connection all over again.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Robert Denby posted:

Anyone else have the stream glitch out very close to the end? When our heroes were wandering the fortress it cut out for a few seconds and came back when comic relief guy was a tiger, which made for an unintentionally hilarious jump.

It was the tiger that escaped from the circus!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Canned Panda posted:

I had a terrible idea: Tommy Whizzo

Everyone betrays me and now I have that to worry about!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

As someone who mainly watched the original back in the day I find it a little off to have movies where the puppets are the heroes seeing as in the first couple they definitely were not and would just straight up murder people.

Reverse-sized Godzilla.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

To destroy the Soul Edge, you need more than a samurai. You need a Samurai Cop.

...or Nathan Explosion. One of the two.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I watched Future Zone and while I do think it's a decent concept for an action movie bogged down by... everything, the thing that gets me is how indecisive the plot is. Carradine's son makes it apparent that he learned how to be awesome with a gun from his father teaching him, only at the end we see that his time-travel mission is to prevent Carradine's death during a time when he's just finding out that his wife is pregnant. So his father died before he was even born. It's like that thing in Return of the Jedi where Leia talks about how she remembers her mother being sad, only that was a plot hole created from another movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

New xmas riff!

It looks like it's a lot of the same actors in the same terrible McMansion.

Haha, awesome! Me and my fiancée noticed it on Prime and watched the trailer a few weeks ago. She wanted to watch it and I said to wait because there's a strong chance it would be on Rifftrax this year.

Maybe next they can do that movie where Wee Man plays a Christmas elf who becomes a superhero and fights Jeffrey Combs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Charlie's Secret is halfway decent for a Christmas special, slummed down by its bewildering subtitles. I like that late in it, the homeless guy has a great line delivery that even Bridget and Mary Jo appreciate.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of which, I updated my master list of holiday Rifftrax movies and shorts.

Now I no longer have that to worry about.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So nobody else is going to point out that RiffTrax just did Yor, Hunter From the Future? Because they did and that's totally a thing I'm watching this weekend.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Finished watching Yor and I have to say, the guy playing Overlord made for a shockingly good Dr. Doom. All he was missing was the face plate.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Canned Panda posted:

I still think there's a decent movie hiding deep down somewhere in Manos.

Yeah. Outside of the catfight bit, there's a good enough horror script that's hurt by really bad production and acting.

Similarly, I think Pumaman is a fine superhero flick for the time where the main flaws are the costuming decisions, the special effects and that one really weird line about dinosaurs. A lot is said about Pumaman being worthless, but he does fine compared to most movie superheroes. It's more that they decided to merge Obi Wan Kenobi and Chewbacca into one character with the Aztec guy and the only time he's shown to be in any peril is during a brawl late in the movie. Even if Pumaman is the guy who saved him, he still looks like a novice in comparison.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Deadguy2322 posted:

Any movie that makes a plot point out of serial defenestration was never going to be anything but awful.

But what if the guy is working for Dick Jones?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best song from a RiffTrax VOD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBgAXyqRrCw

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Finally watched Spiker and the earlier comments in this thread were right. It's such a weird movie, partially because of how it's a pretty normal movie up to a point.

For the first half, it isn't really all that bad. It's competently made, the acting is fine and it seems to be building towards a nice feel-good arc. Then the main character leaves the movie and it's like he took the rest of the script with him. The movie starts flailing around with plot lines and conflicts that don't go anywhere until it just... ends. It's kind of fascinating.

It almost could have worked if Catch was shown to be disgusted and annoyed with the coach for constantly pushing Sonny around during the first half, but nope. He just goes from forgettable supporting character to main character out of nowhere.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Anyone have any experience with the other two movies? Weird for them to go with something that just came out two years ago.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ringu0 posted:

They did Sharknado an year after its release.

True enough, though it was more of an understanding outlier due to being a cultural phenomenon at the time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

And Kickstarter goal has been hit. Time to roll out the stretch goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rirse posted:

Is this one of the first specials with new shorts, since I tend to skip the shows where they do shorts since it usually the ones they did before like Shake Hands With Danger.

I only recognized two reused shorts in there. The one with the cartoon birds talking about electricity safety from the Dr. Who Rifftrax Live and the one about the kid being attacked by his toys and clothes for not putting them away.

Of the new stuff, the Cautious Twins is especially hosed up.