Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:stare: ih ad no idea this existed nd I loving love the stalker games, tyvm based criterion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

theyre based on the same book, theres a throughline

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Maldoror posted:

I never read the book, but watching the movie, I was always confused about the stalker's paranoia in the zone. He's always talking about the extreme danger all around them and "traps" and is constantly throwing stones ahead to make sure it's safe, but there's never any "close calls" or anything, making me think that the zone was making him paranoid and there really wasn't any danger. The film goes to color and he embraces the green grass when they finally arrive, which I thought was supposed to maybe be a statement about communism or something, which went along with the paranoia somehow. But from what little I do know about Roadside Picnic, there really were supposed to be aliens that left artifacts in the zone that were dangerous. I guess it's also pretty ironic that there really was danger from irl invisible toxic waste that gave everyone cancer.

the grass scene's bcause he's home. thats also the reason it fades to sepia when theyre resting near the river, its to show that hes fully relaxed and feels like hes at home.

the use of color in ths movie's so loving good, its weird that an arthouse russian movies kind of clearly referencing the wizard of oz but it freakin owns in execution

• Locked thread