Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
What is disburbing while watching it, is knowing that so many of the scenes were actually filmed in contaminated areas and pretty much everyone (including Tarkovsky) got cancer because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
The other thing about this movie... the whole thing is a re-shoot. All of the original film burned in a lab fire.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I never read the book, but watching the movie, I was always confused about the stalker's paranoia in the zone. He's always talking about the extreme danger all around them and "traps" and is constantly throwing stones ahead to make sure it's safe, but there's never any "close calls" or anything, making me think that the zone was making him paranoid and there really wasn't any danger. The film goes to color and he embraces the green grass when they finally arrive, which I thought was supposed to maybe be a statement about communism or something, which went along with the paranoia somehow. But from what little I do know about Roadside Picnic, there really were supposed to be aliens that left artifacts in the zone that were dangerous. I guess it's also pretty ironic that there really was danger from irl invisible toxic waste that gave everyone cancer.

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 12, 2017

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Someone should have told Tarkovsky it's ok to move the camera

He's not for everyone, but there are people (like me) who love long hypnotic sequences in film. So many people complain about the car driving scene in Solaris, which is one of my favorite parts of the movie. I guess these are the same people that get pissed at the long "soul floating" sequences in Enter the Void. But strangely no one complains about the last third of 2001, which it's my understanding Tarkovsky hated.

• Locked thread