Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Maldoror posted:

What is disburbing while watching it, is knowing that so many of the scenes were actually filmed in contaminated areas and pretty much everyone (including Tarkovsky) got cancer because of it.

There's the most devastating interview on the kino dvd where the camera assistant (or something like that) just says, very Russianly, "last year Alexandr passed away, and now I'm the only one left."

Stalker changed my fuckin' life.

Other times movies changed my fuckin' life: Andrei Rublev, The Sacrifice, Mirror, Nostalghia, Ivan's Childhood, Solaris, Steamroller and the Violin, Tron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Escobarbarian posted:

Stalker is one of those movies where I feel like I need a smart person to sit me down and explain why it's Actually Amazing.

There's certainly plenty of room for intellectual explanation but Tarkovsky hated that poo poo and preferred the viewer to just get lost in the mysterious, poetic, experiential aspect. For my money, I think a big reason it's an all-time favorite is that it works beautifully on both levels.

• Locked thread