Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

hemale in pain posted:

Copper spur 2 fits my 6'5 boyfriend and it's like 224cm long and weighs 1.4kgs. It doesn't really use walking poles though apart from holding the doors open and turning them in to a awning.

For another tall person data point, I’m 6’3” and have the Copper Spur 3 (for 2 people and a dog) and have no issues fitting comfortably length-wise. The 2 is only 2” shorter in length than the 3, so the fit should be comparable. We moved from an MSR tent that I only just barely fit in, so suddenly having a ton of space at my feet is pretty nice. The arc of the profile of the tent is squashed towards one side too, so when you lay down that way the walls aren’t encroaching on your head. If you wait for one of the REI sales with the 20% off coupon it’s a worth it IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Just when I needed to resume my inReach subscription too :v:

I’m guessing this is why the app was having problems on my phone earlier this week. It still seemed to be getting accurate GPS info, so I would assume SAR response would still be able to get to you, but I don’t know how exactly you would test that.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Posting camping dogs itt:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

That’s what I do - poles live strapped to the outside of my bag, and then the tent + fly go inside. I actually leave them in the bag it came with though - once the poles are out you can just fold the excess over or tie it off or whatever.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

MMD3 posted:

About to pull the trigger on a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 (redesigned for 2020).

Any reason I shouldn't other than $$$?

I bought the 3-person and if it’s in your budget, go for that instead unless you’re using it solo. It is a great tent imo: plenty of space both inside and in the vestibules, tons of storage, light and easy to set up. The only thing that would make me pause would be if REI or someone is going to have a sale soon - the 20% off for members was much appreciated on that purchase, but I don’t know offhand when those come around.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Yeah just get a liner to bridge any gaps if you need to. I used one on my 34 degree bag one trip out in Canyonlands when the temps dropped into the single digits and was (mostly) fine. I did wake up twice to heat up some water and pour it into a Nalgene to use as a hot water bottle of sorts, but it was tolerable.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

kinda wish sleeping pad manufacturers offered a size between 'regular' and 'large'. i'm 5'11 and my toes often hang off of regular pads but large pads don't fit in the the "2 person" tent with my partner :negative:

Alternatively (if it’s in your budget) swap out your 2-person tent for a 3-person. We just went from an MSR 2-person Hubba Hubba to a Big Agnes 3-person Copper Spur and it’s a night-and-day difference. I’m 6’3” and now my pad actually has some space at the foot of it for me to stash some gear, and if I roll over I’m not right on top of my partner. The trail weight is actually a touch lighter too, but that’s probably because the old tent was probably five or six years old.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

DeesGrandpa posted:

I'm in Denver and it's mostly just hitting places in the foothills like Golden or Morrison. Between 20-40 minutes driving each way, start in the dark, peep the sun, and then finish up and head back home.

I don't generally like the whole hiking for time thing or stravaing my hikes, but treating these like workouts is pretty fun and more dignified than running. Generally I like trails like Mt Galbraith where I can toss another rotation or two of the loop around to add a little more time and mileage as needed.

I just did Galbraith the other day and ate it hard on an icy spot when my dog decided he didn’t want to wait for me. Didn’t detract from the views though.

One thing I’ve always heard from people here are continuous complaints about overcrowding on the trails. In my experience if you’re trying to hit one of the easy 14ers it’s going to be packed, but there are so many trails out there that it’s easy to find one where you’ll barely run into anyone, which is wild when you’re under an hour from Denver.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

From what I understand they’re also terribly chilly due to not having anything insulating it from the bottom.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Chard posted:

i dunno, as a side sleeper who also thrashes from side to side all night, being locked into one side seems worse than finagling a traditional mummy bag around me

I watched the video, and apparently the idea is that you get in and then just roll over with the bag? Not sure I get how it works in practice, but watching them roll around like inchworms was kinda funny.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Trying to decide between two 3p tents if anyone has any thoughts:

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3: https://www.rei.com/product/164194/big-agnes-copper-spur-hv-ul3-tent

NEMO Dagger 3: https://www.rei.com/product/144623/nemo-dagger-3-tent

Looking to drop my tent weight significantly from the 7lb 3p I use now. It's mostly for me, wife, and dog. Will be used mostly in the Southeast in cool weather. I'd probably be happy with either of these tbh

I have the Copper Spur and really like it. We got a dog so we replaced our 2p MSR with it and it fits two of us and the pup very comfortably.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

See I was thinking this would be my no-dog tent. I haven't used a tent this thin before so I was worried the dog's nails might puncture it.

FWIW, we haven’t seen any problems with it, but we’ve only used it last summer and fall. The dog has a Z-Lite pad that he lays on when we’re in the tent and isn’t one to really scratch at the floor or anything so we haven’t had issues so far, but it’s also a relatively small sample size.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Chard posted:

don't put this evil into the world, man

The tweedle-deet of a new message coming through on your InReach shatters the still of an early spring morning in Zion. You fish the device out of your hip belt and see

“we’ve been trying to reach you about your vehicle’s extended warranty”

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Carlsbad Caverns is cool as hell but definitely go to the website before the trip and see if you can sign up for additional guided tours. The self-guided tour is great, but there's a lot of area you can only reach on the guided tours, and those require a reservation.

There are also other caves on the park grounds to explore beyond the main one on those tours. I did one through Spider Cave a few years back that was awesome. I’ll let you guess why it’s called Spider Cave.

(There are a bunch of paths that break off from a main chamber so a map looks like a spider. But also the entrance is chock full of harvestmen)

quote:

Other New Mexico stuff to see:

• White Sands
  • El Malpais National Monument is worth stopping at if you're taking I-40.
  • Space History Museum, Alamogordo (close enough to White Sands to do two in a day)

These are all very rad and I heartily endorse them. Just make sure you take plenty of water with you if you walk out on the dunes at White Sands and know how to get back. I’ll also add Wheeler Peak near Taos if you want to bag the highest summit in the state; it’s a pretty easy hike and you get some good views from the top. I also really like Rio Grande del Norte National Monument too. Both are about 2 hours from Santa Fe though.

FogHelmut posted:

Don't take a detour to Roswell, there is nothing there at all, not even tourist trap poo poo.

The International UFO Museum says screw you too buddy :colbert:

It’s true though, my family is from there and I love it for nostalgia purposes, but there’s really nothing to do there.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Oh, hell yeah, this owns.

Knowing how to get back is CRITICAL. If you don't already have a preferred mapping app, even Google Maps should let you save your current location without needing a cell signal. Do this before you leave your car. Sand dunes can look really different from different angles, and you can be completely out of sight of the road and any other people in about 5 minutes of walking. There's only one road in the park as far as I remember, and if you lose track of it and head off in the wrong direction, you could easily die.

It really can’t be stressed enough. You have to respect any wild area obviously, but the combination of high heat and the shifting sand can really throw you for a loop if you’re not prepared for it. It unfortunately kills people all the time.

vvv yes, a basic Garmin eTrex is $100 or so and absolutely invaluable if you’re going out into the desert at all.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 28, 2021

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Hey thread, I'm unemployed and now seems like a good time to go for my first-ever backpacking trip. I'm thinking just 1 day/night to keep it simples, but I'm wondering what equipment I should buy?

I've got basically everything for car camping - good tent, okay sleeping bag + pad for underneath, a big battery pack to make sure my phone and whatnot are fully charged, headlamp, and a small backpack (Talos 25 I think, but maybe it's a 22), decent boots and good socks to wear.

Given that I'm unemployed, I don't want to spend much money on remaining things... But I'm not even sure what exactly I should buy? Some sort of water filtratrion thingamajig? Something to cook in?

Also I'll have my 2 dogs with me FWIW

Honestly, if it’s your first time I would recommend renting the gear as opposed to buying some stuff. Unless the car camping kit you have is already lightweight backpacking gear, you’re going to have a less-than-fun time lugging it wherever you wanna go. I just checked REI and where I am you can rent a kit with tent, bag + pad, backpack, and stove for about 90 bucks for one night, and only a few bucks more for 2 nights. That’s cheaper than a night at a lodge or something, and less than you would spend for a new backpack, plus you get to see if you a) like it and b) if the gear works for you.

Alternatively, see if you have a buddy that will loan you some stuff and try that.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I actually just bought a GravityWorks and used it on a backpacking trip in Escalante. It’s great, but we were filling multiple containers to carry all day. I don’t think it would be worth it for personal use on a short overnight.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Math You posted:

I ultimately chose the inreach mini.

To those who have one.. how durable do you find it? Tough enough to clip to a bag or do you stuff it in your socks and put it in a dry bag?

Mine just rides in a pocket either on my person or waist belt. I know plenty of people that use the clip to connect it to their shoulder strap. I don’t think you’ll have any issue unless you’re regularly throwing your bag over small cliffs.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I bought a tent on sale from REI and set it to in-store pickup since the app showed it was available. They canceled it a few hours later saying they don't have that tent in-store and when I went to buy it online it was sold out. :mad:

I'm hoping it comes back in-stock before the sale ends but if not I guess I can try and contact them to get it adjusted and see if they will help me out.

I went through this around the holidays trying to buy my sister a Fjallraven bag - set to pick up in store, order goes through, email a few hours later that the bag was no longer available. Rinse and repeat at least three times. I wound up going to the actual Fjallraven store to get it, but I did get a handful of I think 15% off coupons out of it for my trouble at least.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

anatomi posted:

I'm looking to ditch my old no-name tent for something lighter that doesn't break the bank. It's not a bad tent, but it's hella heavy and packs down big.
I'm getting up there and I need more room for comfort items. :okboomer:

I'm looking for a two-walled 2-person-in-a-pinch solution. I'm not going above the tree line this summer.

Pickings are slim here in Sweden: I've basically narrowed it down to BA Copper Spur HV or MSR Hubba Hubba NX. The NX is roughly 4/5 the price of the Copper Spur.

I know Big Agnes has a decent reputation, but the fabrics seem awfully thin. Will it hold up to regular use in wet conditions?

The US version of the NX was refreshed in 2019-2020 with composite poles and new waterproofing. The model available in Europe is basically still the 2018 model.

I considered trekking pole tents and reached the conclusion that I'd probably love the X-Mid — and now that I know it exists I couldn't settle for anything less. However, it's terminally unavailable except from scalpers on eBay. :chef:

I have owned both of those tents and camped with them in both dry and wet conditions with no problems. You’re right that the fabric is thin on the BA but we’ve had no issue with tears, even when camping in particularly rocky areas. The MSR fit in our packs a little better but the difference is really negligible. Can’t go wrong with either IMO.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

There are a few parks around here that have walk-in campsites that are a nice dry run if you’re unfamiliar with backpacking. They’re technically car camping sites (most are 500-1000 feet away from the parking area, people usually just bring a wagon to lug their junk) but it’s easy to use it as babby’s first backpack to dial in your gear and see what you forget. It’s also trivial to bail out if something goes wrong. It’s not going to teach you how to spot an already-established campsite on the trail or how to figure out how to poop, but it’s a good transition IMO.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Steely Dad posted:

Thread, do you have any wisdom to share about cheap beach sun shade tents? I’d hate to buy something and replace it after one trip because I didn’t ask first.

I usually see a lot of bog-standard four-legged shades, but this year at the beach I frequent there were a ton of these: https://shibumishade.com/. It’s an… interesting concept, but I noticed that they flap in the wind by design. It’s not terribly bad on it’s own, but with a handful of them in close quarters the noise is a little aggravating IMO. They’re also shockingly expensive. The guys who invented it are from the beach I go to so I’m guessing they got in with the local rental company to get a bunch of them out there.

My personal go-to is just a beach umbrella, but I’m guessing you’re trying to cover more people and things than that.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I mean that is a really cheap tent, not sure seam sealer is actually going to help much if it rains now that I'm reading the reviews. TBH I'd use that for car camping in nice weather at a campsite with bathrooms and a general store on one of those trips that you spend more on beer than food.

Yeah, just use this as a “do I actually enjoy sleeping outside?” test tent and don’t expect it to hold up well in the elements at all. Long ago when my SO and I went on our first camping trip together, the tent poles were left 300 miles away and we had to snag a tent at Walmart 45 minutes away and race back to the park before they closed the gate. It rained that night and I woke up with my feet wet the next morning because the floor of the tent eventually soaked through or something.

There’s also the option of renting some gear to test out if you’re unsure - I know lots of REI stores do gear rentals, and I know there are places you can rent from online now too.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Kinda weird - the campground I'm going to is in a national forest. Barely 1.5 miles away, another campground is in a state park and provides food lockers. Palomar Mountain, for anyone familiar. This is not serious bear country, though some black bears have occasionally been spotted.

Should I be taking extra precautions beyond the normal "don't leave food out like an idiot"? None of the websites for the campground mention anything.

Could be that the state park had some extra funding and splurged on lockers, might be raccoons or other night time critters that aren’t harmful but can be a nuisance. If there was major bear activity they would definitely make it known. Just handle your food responsibly and you’ll be fine.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

You don’t have to buy used to hit that price point. I rented a few different brands from a local gear store and the base MSR Evo’s from REI before settling on these. I find these pretty easy to get on and off, though looking at the reviews some people have complaints about the straps. Might have something to do with gait or foot size or something, so like with any gear try to give it a little trial run before relying on it. Add the tails if you’re carrying a heavy load and you should be good to go.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

FWIW I’ve never had any problems checking a backpack through to my destination. Cinching down the straps, doing all the buckles, and tucking away or tying up the loose ends seems to be more than OK. Is this something specific to the airline you’re flying or did something happen to your bag in the past?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I figure I’ve done worse to my bag than anything the baggage handlers can do short of dragging it down the tarmac behind the cart, but I’m sure it’s a YMMV sort of thing. I know my bag doesn’t have a lot of fiddly bits on the outside and the ones that are there are easy enough to secure. If you have one with lots of bells and whistles, or something ultralight that you’d be worried would be damaged in the course of normal handling, I understand wanting a protective cover around it.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Did anyone else see this? It came out of the blue on a marketing email REI sent today:

I typically associate “big changes” to a well-loved program with bad things but I guess we’ll see.

Though I guess if they :airquote: have to :airquote: gut it to give their employees a living wage then I’d rather they do that.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

It looks like the changes are… some member-exclusive gear, free shipping, and discounts on shop services? You can also buy and trade used gear which is pretty nice.

Now let your employees unionize you fucks!!!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

marsisol posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Copper Spur UL3? Looking to pick one up to replace an aging and torn up Halfdome that's seen a lot of use and abuse. My wife and I would be the sole occupants and would be using it on backpacking trips 4-5x per year from 1 night to 5 night trips. It obviously has great reviews, just looking for some more insight.

We use the Copper Spur UL3 for two people and a dog and it’s good, OP. It replaced an MSR Hubba Hubba 2-person for us. The MSR packed down smaller but that’s expected since it was a smaller tent. This has a good amount of space, where we both have ample room up top and the dog has his own space down at our feet. We’ve not had much occasion to use the vestibule doors as sun shades like they advertise so I can’t comment on that. I will say that the material is vey thin - it seems thinner than the MSR and the dog tore a hole in it when he got excited and started digging a nest before bed one night, so I guess we’ll be testing out Big Agnes’ repair service. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I feel like the reversal on the PCT hang has been slowly building for the last few years. Andrew Skurka had an article on not hanging food all the way back in 2019. I think the big issue with it is the one-size-fits-all approach - there are situations and environments where the bear hang can be effective, but many many more where it’s not or it’s not necessary. We’ve taken to using a Bear Vault in places with a bear population, and an Ursack when out in the desert.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’ve never used a “dining fly” in a couple decades of car camping. You can get a pop-up awning if you want to, but unless your kid is horribly opposed to being subjected to any of the elements it’s probably easier to just eat at the picnic table that most car camping sites have.

As far as the stove, one of the basic Coleman two-burners should do you just fine.

e: tbf I also tend to be confused by the people who set up some sort of homestead at their campsite so I may not be the best source of info on this one.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 15, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Was it Z-Trek sandals that were mentioned in this thread as being good camp shoes? I did some googling but nothing I saw was jogging my memory.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 2, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Are those the zero drop ones? I bought a pair and have been stomping around Brazil on cobble stones like a boss. poo poo rules.

Don't try skateboarding in them, you'll def bruise your feet.

Yeah, those are the ones (or at least one of them, there are apparently a few other options out there. I predominantly want some for wearing to the climbing gym so I can slip out of my climbing shoes, but because they’re so light I figure an extra pair would be good to have as camp shoes. Tevas are too heavy and I’m not a fan of how chunky they look anyway.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

RodShaft posted:

$69(nice) Ozark trail five-person SUV tent. cheapest. I've seen any of these attached to SUV tents, this one seems like an afterthought feature. I'd like to see an actual review on it, But $69 (nice) is a drat good deal.

I don’t understand the appeal of a tent attached to a car. It seems like it would be more of a PITA to root through the stuff in the back. But maybe I’m just missing out :shrug:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Brother Tadger posted:

LUCI 2.0 is the one true god of lanterns

Love our Luci. We have some of the Big Agnes tent lights strung through our tent but I usually don’t even bother with them anymore. Clip the Luci to the ceiling and it provides way more light than they ever did.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

ryanrs posted:

I have a PLB for true emergencies, and cell phone and ham radio for other things. But I am a radio nerd who car camps, so I have all sorts of antennas and masts and crap with me anyway. I've used a 2M vehicle radio to summon the sheriff from no-cell-coverage wilderness. It works ok if you do your homework (like knowing how to operate your radio and marking all the area repeaters on your regional topo map).

e:

Log periodic directional antenna atop 16 ft mast for hitting distant Verizon towers.

I don’t think I can fit one of those in my backpack

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

incogneato posted:

Huh, I don't know why I never considered finding an app for knots. That's a great idea, thanks! I'm terrible about remembering or practicing knots.

Does this appear to be the same app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nynix.knots3d

Well poo poo, I always leaned on never being in the scouts to excuse not being able to tie knots worth a drat, but it’s a) only 6 bucks and b) scout-approved. Guess I’ll be tying knots during meetings tomorrow.

e: this app is awesome. I got into climbing recently and I have so many knots to learn now

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 2, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

RodShaft posted:

$1 Coghlan's Ultralight Tent Stakes 4 pack (Amazon)

I think it was this brand I had over a decade ago and they bent pretty easily, but at this price I'm willing to give them another shot. I needed to replace some round hook stakes so these will be a step up even if they aren't as good as my other triwing stakes.

Yeah the couple of Coghlan-branded things I’ve bought have been almost impressive in how lovely they are. At 4/$1 though they might be worth throwing in with your other stakes as a just-in-case.

If you really need to replace a few stakes the MSR groundhogs are $4 each and should actually hold in the ground if you get some gusty winds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

sunglasses seem like an essential thing that I rarely see talked about. unfortunately I tend to go through sunglasses relatively quick - they all break eventually, largely because what I do can be on the rougher side. one pair I bought at REI for $50 broke, that was the last time I spent much on a pair.

I often buy gas station sunglasses and hope for the best. thoughts?

I have pairs from both Sunski and ROKA that are in theory designed for outdoor activities and like them both a lot. They have stood up to getting dropped on trails and knocked off of boulders with only cosmetic frame damage. Sunski will also sell you a lens replacement kit for sub-$20. Sunski is the cheaper of the 2 and I admittedly only bought the ROKA’s because they looked really cool.