Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
All this talk of GPS stuff reminded me:

What are people's thoughts on stuff like the Gaia GPS app? Is it worth $20/$40 per year? Are any hiking GPS apps worth it?

We just do long day hikes and fairly simple backpacking, always on trails. It's nice to be able to check our place on a trail, find junctions, etc.

We always have our phones with us anyway, since they are also our cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

the yeti posted:

I assume those people died all the goddamn time too, we just have forgotten the ones that didn't do it in spectacular fashion or have a noted career beforehand.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I had just finished reading about the climbers rescued off Mt Hood last week. Back before the days of Chinook helicopters for extractions, I assume the whole group would just be a tiny footnote in a local paper (if noted at all). But then again, I suppose one argument is that they may not have attempted the ascent without modern tech, so who knows.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

anatomi posted:

We had to set camp on some pretty hard and rocky ground recently and my body was aching the whole day after. I'm getting older and my tolerance for discomfort is getting lower...

I'm looking for a sleeping pad, or a combination of such, that'll work for a big guy (6'2", 300 pounds) who usually sleeps on the side. Any of y'all have recommendations?

If you have an REI close by, sometimes (always?) they have sleeping pads to try out. The one near me has a raised table/bed thing to lay on. You feel pretty silly rolling around on sleeping pads in the middle of a store, but it was nice to try before buying.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm going wilderness camping for the first time, fellas!

A buddy is having his bachelor party in the woods (Nordhouse Dunes, MI) and we're probably going to have 8 people total.

I'm nervous, since I haven't gone in ages. I have a tent I've never used (ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr) and I picked up some used gear (a Jetboil and a little espresso maker).

The weather is looking like it could disagree with us quite a bit (60 highs, 40 lows).

I need to check around the house to see if we have a sleeping bag.

My question: What should I do to retain heat when I go to sleep? I was thinking that an insulating layer on the floor like a sleeping mat might be worthwhile.

We're going on a 3-4 mile hike, then probably staying put for 3 nights.

I, obviously, don't go out much so if there's an inexpensive alternative to some of the pricicer stuff I'm seeing sleeping mat-wise, I'd love to hear it.

Any tips on how to have some woodland fun? I heard there's poo poo wifi and I'm a tech baby with a tiny penis. My plan is reading and generally loving around with the others.

Lows of 40 isn't too bad, unless you're an especially cold sleeper. It's chilly, but inside a tent with a bag you can manage.

A sleeping pad is important for staying warm. Closed-cell foam are cheaper than inflatable, at least on the lightweight backpackable end of the spectrum.

What more you need depends on the sleeping bag you have and what temperatures it's rated for. It seems obvious, but don't forget you can wear warm layers to bed inside your bag. Base layers of course, but even puffy jackets, hat, socks, etc if your bag isn't keeping up with the cold.

Not sure if you're looking at rain, but avoid cotton clothing if possible. Synthetics and wool insulate when wet, cotton does not.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Yeah, normally I'd say absolutely no cotton. But I didn't want to be all harsh on someone doing 3 miles with a bachelor party in 60 degree weather.

You're very right, though. Cotton is bad. Athletic clothes like Nike dryfit shirts and stuff work great, doesn't have to be backpacking-specific.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

What is a good durable jacket that won't tear? As in I can shove my way through brush while fly fishing and not worry about it. I was thinking something like the kuhl burr jacket https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/outerwear/burr-jacket/ but I'm seeing what other options are out there as I'm gonna try to pick something up used.

Patagonia has a workwear line that they pitch as being very durable. I know nothing more about it than that (I've literally just noticed it on their website), but maybe add it to your things to look at.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Protip--you should return that spork and get a long handled aluminum/titanium spoon:

https://www.rei.com/product/782241/sea-to-summit-alpha-light-spoon-long

Makes eating out of packages so much simpler and cleaner. It's one of those things that as soon as someone sees it on the trail, they always get one by the next trip.

Seconding this. Also, these come in spork form as well, so you don't have to give up your pointy ends for length.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does anyone have any opinions on Mountain Hardware sleeping bags? Alternatively, any suggestions on cold weather (below freezing, late shoulder season to winter camping) bags? Doesn't need to be ultralight, but packable for simple backpacking would be nice.

I can get this for $400 new, and reviews around the web seem good: https://www.mountainhardwear.com/phantom-torch-down-3f--16c-sleeping-bag-1671421.html

REI has a sale going on too, so I could get something else. I'm not tied to Mt Hardware, I just have a coupon for their store.

I've been making do with my Marmot Hydrogen, which is allegedly rated to 30F. But after our last trip with frost on our tent, I'm over shivering and layering my jackets to make it work. I want something more substantial, especially for our planned January tour of Utah parks.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Business of Ferrets posted:

The Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat has worked well for me.

I, too, have this hat and it has worked fine.

A slightly less covering but more modular alternative is a regular baseball style cap plus a lightweight buff. Honestly my buff has probably done more for preventing my neck from burning than any hat, partly because I just tend to leave it on when I may take a hat off and forget. The buff doesn't do anything for ears or side of your face though (unless you pull it up the back of your head, but that's a bit extreme for my hiking situations).

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm looking for a new pair of sandals. They'll be camp shoes, but also beach, around town, light trail walks, etc. (so I'll pass on Crocs, unfortunately). I've been using flip-flops, but they don't work when I have socks on and they're not really secure.

Chacos are heavier than I realized. I'm not ultralight or anything, but nearly 2lb for a pair seems like a lot.

I'm tempted by the Xero Z-Trail. They weigh the same or less than Crocs, and seem to tick other boxes for me. Has anyone tried them? Anything else I should be looking at instead?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

deong posted:

Im a big fan of my Bed Rocks. They are thong style with ankle retention. Have vibriam soles and are very light. You can also test them out at an REI as bonus.

Thoes xeros look similar and much cheaper tho

I liked the look of the Bed Rocks, but the thong style does work with socks (I assume). A handful of times at camp or getting up in the middle of a cold night I've wanted to keep my socks on.

According to Teva's website the Originals are only 12.8oz a pair, which is surprising. I guess I'll look at those, too.

Edit: to be clear, I was looking at the Teva/Chaco style Xero Z-Trails: https://www.rei.com/product/160158/xero-shoes-z-trail-sandals-mens

incogneato fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 17, 2019

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I just ordered a pair of the Z-trails this weekend, should have them Wednesday. I’ll post up some pics of my gnarly-rear end feet in ‘em and see how they do. Won’t get to hike any in them anytime soon, but I’ll wear the poo poo out of them around the house and the yard. I’ve got weird, broken, misshapen fugly duck feet tho, so YMMV.

Edit: BTW, if you look at them on XeroShoes’ company page, they have printable templates of the footbeds of their shoes and sandals so you can print them out and see what fits your foot best.

I actually did all the same things yesterday, including printing off the templates. My local REI didn't stock them, so I used my coupon to grab a pair online.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

C-Euro posted:

My wife suddenly got the idea that she wants to go camping with the dog this weekend, despite the fact that we've never been camping outside of an overnight canoe trip five years ago where we were given all of our gear. As such, we need a tent and sleeping bag for Babby's First Camping Trip, which will just be one night at a state park in Eastern PA. I'm trying not to spend too much since she might end up hating the experience, so what are some good starter tents and sleeping bags if I can't find anyone around me with stuff I can borrow?

If you're really unsure whether you'll use it again, REI rents equipment (including tents). Maybe other places do too.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Darwin is great, very chill and enjoyable to watch. I mainly like his hiking vlogs. He's also very open about his choices in gear, why he may change his mind, and why some of his options may not be for everyone (eg he cold soaks the same meal every night, but he admits that's because he really just doesn't care about eating the same thing over and over. He's not anti-stove or variety or whatever).

I can't comment on his individual gear choices, but I don't think he's a bad guy to look for suggestions from. Personally he's far more minimalist and ultralight than I intend to be.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Sawyer filters work great and are super light. They're not fast or effortless, though, if you care.

Personally I have no regrets getting a gravity filter (we have a Platypus Gravityworks). It costs and weighs more (just under 12oz I think), but the quality of life improvement is huge. Just hang it up while you set up camp, and 4 L of clean water are waiting by the time your tent is up.

Like I said before though, I'm definitely not ultralight.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I use an ursack with odor proof bags inside, and just tie it to a tree trunk at head height. But as mentioned earlier, my concern is rodents and other curious small critters. No idea if the ursack actually does anything, but haven't ever had any issues.

I'm also just in black bear country, so nothing especially worrisome.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Verman posted:

Avoid the dehydrated backpacker meals because they're not that good and rarely rehydrate well.

Things like Backpacker's Pantry are delicious, lightweight, good ingredients and calories, and rehydrate just fine. Their real downside is they are quite expensive and wasteful. We often use them when we go backpacking (just for dinners), but it's with full awareness that we are grossly overpaying for our meals.

I agree there are other better, cheaper options. But if cost isn't a factor, there's nothing wrong with the dehydrated meals at REI or whatever.

Hot oatmeal in the morning is nice. Stir in things like nuts, berries, protein powder, and even instant coffee (like Starbucks via). You can premix all that in plastic sandwich baggies ahead of time.

Edit: I missed the bit about 1 gallon volume allowed. Dehydrated backpacker meals have extra packaging, so maybe not ideal if very space limited. Focus on calorie dense stuff, which has already been recommended: peanut butter, tortillas, hard meats, etc. I don't know anything about MREs.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 22, 2019

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm looking for a cheap synthetic sleeping bag I can toss in our car during winter months for possible emergencies. Weight is not a concern. Is there any reason not to just get something like the 0° Coleman or Teton options on Amazon?

For context, this would be just for peace of mind during day trips into the mountains snowshoeing etc. We already have nice low-temp down bags for backpacking and winter camping. But I want something I can leave in a stuff sack all winter and just forget about it in our car (along with the other emergency supplies we leave in there).

I'm assuming a cheap bag from a known manufacturer (ie not some no-name Amazon knock off) is the way to go, but if I should consider something completely different I'm open to suggestions.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Good to know about synthetic losing insulating properties if kept stuffed. I've only ever had down bags, so I guess I just assumed the rule not to store compressed was unique to down.

A second hand gear shop is a good idea. I'll check our local one. Thanks!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
If you're not already an REI member and think you may buy something as expensive as a sleeping bag, you should join. It's $20 one time, and you're essentially certain to get a 20% or 25% off one item coupon to use during the next sale (I've never seen a sale without a coupon, that I can recall). That basically pays for itself, assuming you use the coupon.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

TurdBurgles posted:

Any opinions on the Garmin 66s vs 64x? The 20% off would stack nicely with some saved gift cards. The 66s has phone integration and Bluetooth, which I don't care about. The 66s has a tougher rating but also has some negative reviews and would need me to buy maps. It seems like the 64x makes more sense, but this is a once in a decade purchase and so I don't want to make a poor choice.
I would be using whatever I choose for blm and np offroading/hiking this summer.

Just a heads up if you're talking about the REI member 20% coupon, I don't believe it can be applied to anything with GPS capability.

https://www.rei.com/coupon#terms

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Xero Shoes advertises itself for that purpose (thin soles, feel the trail, etc). I have a pair of their sandals, but I just use them as camp shoes due to light weight. I can't speak to their shoes or hiking capability, but maybe worth adding to your list of considerations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Chard posted:

seconding the vapor glove, its barely there. xero sandals are cool and i want a pair but not for 80 bucks and they never seemed to go on sale.

Xero also makes shoes, which they advertise as having the same thin soles, feel the ground properties. I've never tried them, but maybe worth checking out.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Bug netting for the car.

Sometimes, you will have to sleep in the car. It happens. Depends on your vehicle as to which kind you get but it makes sleeping in your car a lot less claustrophobic and stuffy.

We've got these and they work fine: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYXZYMN/

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Xenix posted:

I think this is the right place to ask, but I didn't see anything about it in the OP or the most recent couple of pages. I just went on a short backpacking trip with family and while driving home we stayed at a campsite (mostly due to covid concerns about hotels) and I saw a car top tent that looked interesting and more importantly comfortable (especially compared to the two of us in the dirt with our bivy sacks). My girlfriend has been talking about her desire for some sort of converted Sprinter van for going on road trips, but of course RVs are expensive and a well outfitted car top tent might provide what we want for trips, especially since both of our vehicles appear to be well suited for them. I don't see tons of review out there for them. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they comfortable? I assume they come with a stiff floor since they cantilever off of roof rails. Do you have one and love it or hate it? Am I wasting my time looking into an overly expensive tent for road tripping?

The term you want to search for is "rooftop tent". They're all the rage right now with the trendy overlanding boom. By all accounts that I've heard, rooftop tents are very comfortable and easy to use.

They're not cheap, though. Whether it's worth it to you depends on your uses and finances, I suppose.

Edit: And be sure that your vehicle can handle a decent amount of weight on it's roof and rails.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
We've been using these for window coverings while sleeping in the back of our car: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYXZYMN/

Also splurged on an Exped Megamat when it was on sale a while ago. Now it's pretty much as comfortable as our actual bed back there with the seats down.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Yeah, not leaving anything visible in your car at a trailhead is crucial. That includes empty or "worthless" bags or boxes. I've had friends tell me "oh that bag is just trash", but thieves don't know that. They'll smash a window and figure it out later.

If you have a Yakima/Thule roof box, you can toss anything in there so it is out of sight.

Some trailheads are better than others. If it's an hour down a muddy potholed forest service road and only one other vehicle is around, the risk is probably low. I still keep everything out of sight anyway. Habit from parking in the middle of a city maybe.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

1redflag posted:

About two years ago I got rid of all my cotton socks and replaced them with ~10 pairs of darn tough wool socks and, honestly, it’s been one of the best purchases/upgrades I’ve made in my life. Wool socks everyday all day.

Same.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

highme posted:

^^ been debating between using my REI coupon for a bike computer or an InReach.

The REI coupons often don't work on electronics with gps, or something like that. I don't have it in front of me, but you may want to check the fine print.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Salomons have been the best fit for my feet, and they've treated me well. I've used both gore tex mids for snowshoeing/snow hiking as well as lighter trail runners, and both have been great.

Actually that leads me to another question. Does anyone have a suggestion for a not-heavy waterproof boot for snowshoeing and slushy shoulder season hiking (eg top half of the hike is still in snow, but not always enough to justify snowshoes)? I'm tempted to get another pair of Salomons, maybe the newer X Ultra 4 GTX mid, but I'd be happy to hear other suggestions.

I stick with lighter trail runners most of the year, but snowshoeing or slushy hiking I like some waterproofing (plus gators).

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Morbus posted:

Do you need to take a crampon or just sometimes snowshoes? Shoulder season can involve a mix of ungodly slush and also really hard icy refrozen snow, but idk what exactly you have in mind.

Salomon boots fit my feet best, but I've found that the waterproofing on my Quest 4Ds isn't always up for snowshoeing. If I recently applied Nikwax or similar it works OK, but after awhile it seems I get leaks around where the snowshoe straps are pressing. I also find them to be cold for anything involving deep snow, which is not surprising since they have no insulation. That's less of an issue if you aren't spending too much time in snow and/or you're back off the snow by the end of the day or in camp.

I think for snowshoes, it's best to have something with a somewhat stiffer/sturdier upper to fit the shoeshoe straps without pressing down on your feet/toes. Depends on the snowshoes though. I really liked the Saloman X Alp LTR boots in this regard. They were stiffer, but still had enough flex to hike in all day comfortably. They fit all major brands of workhorse 12pt crampons perfectly (better than some mountaineering boots...). And the waterproofing was decent. Only problem is they started falling apart after 18 months...but that was after a lot of abuse. Anyway, Saloman discontinued them and seems to be exiting the alpine/mountaineering boot market entirely, which is a shame since their stuff fits my feet really well.

If the Salomans work for you, I'd just stick with them unless you have some specific issues you'd like to fix.

Usually just microspikes packed along with if I'm not doing full on snowshoeing from the get-go. You're right that they seemed to tear up the fabric of the Salomons, though. I had considered something with maybe a leather upper that I could apply Sno Seal to every year, but my previous leather boots were so drat heavy. Maybe I should look into it again.

Right now I'm just at that late spring point where most of the hikes I want to do are snow free at the trailhead but inevitably get into some as I climb a bit. Conditions could be anything from old and crunchy to half-melted slush.

I appreciate the response. I think you're right. I'll look for some shoulder season boots for now, and worry about snowshoeing boots when next winter rolls around.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Sab669 posted:

Hey thread, I'm unemployed and now seems like a good time to go for my first-ever backpacking trip. I'm thinking just 1 day/night to keep it simples, but I'm wondering what equipment I should buy?

I've got basically everything for car camping - good tent, okay sleeping bag + pad for underneath, a big battery pack to make sure my phone and whatnot are fully charged, headlamp, and a small backpack (Talos 25 I think, but maybe it's a 22), decent boots and good socks to wear.

Given that I'm unemployed, I don't want to spend much money on remaining things... But I'm not even sure what exactly I should buy? Some sort of water filtratrion thingamajig? Something to cook in?

Also I'll have my 2 dogs with me FWIW

Off the top of my head:

Yes, you need some way to have clean potable water. You can get something like a Sawyer Mini fairly cheap, although it'll be slower than something like a gravity filter system. You could boil your water, but that's pretty slow and fuel intensive. I toss some water purification tablets in my bag, but only as a backup option (that I've never had to use)--I wouldn't use them as my main source of getting water. I suppose if you're only out for a single night it'd be possible to haul in all the water you need, but I'd recommend at least having a backup plan.

You didn't mention a stove system, only something to cook in. Does that mean you have a stove and need a pan, or does that mean you intend to only use a fire? Cooking over a fire is certainly viable, but I personally wouldn't want it to be my only option, especially if I was new to backpacking. You can get little MSR PocketRockets for under $50, and probably can find other brands for even cheaper. I bet you could find used ones without too much effort.

Don't forget a trowel, some toilet paper, and to educate yourself on how to poo poo in the woods (if you haven't before). You can get cheap plastic trowels for like $5 at REI--they're basically plastic gardening tools, so you can probably find cheap alternatives elsewhere, too.

I second others who say that a 22-25 liter pack is probably too little space, especially if you're not rocking minimalist ultralight gear.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

FCKGW posted:

They have a 14 day price adjustment if you fall into that period
https://www.rei.com/help?a=Price-Adjustments---id--WYF3uBXAR42F4MXl4D3lrg

Thanks for this! I bought some Salomon boots on April 30. It's just outside the 14 day window, but their online chat said they could give me a gift card for the difference instead.

Safety Dance posted:

I set a reminder in my calendar to buy an ENO Doublenest and all the accoutrements.

We've been bringing ours on day hikes recently in case my wife needs to hang out and rest her injured knee while I hike on. Yesterday we set it up for lunch, ended up falling asleep in the sun next to a creek. Hiked far fewer miles than intended, had an extremely chill afternoon, 10/10 would recommend.

(that's less about ENO in particular than hammocks in general--this is the only one I've had, so I have nothing to really compare it to)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Safety Dance posted:

How does that work, do you just throw the hammock up next to the trail and chill? Do you find a spot a little ways off the trail?

This was a backpacking campsite a short way off the trail that we knew from a previous hike. But it's a relatively low traffic trail that follows a large creek the whole way, so there would have been places to hang out creekside otherwise, too.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Steely Dad posted:

I had been thinking a Kingdom 6 but was put off by the price and difficulty of setup, but if you say the 4 is easy, I’ll have to check it out. Maybe I can watch some setup videos and see if it looks manageable for me. Too bad it’s not on sale right now; maybe I’ll wait for the next time it is.

If you're an REI member you can use the 20% coupon on it through tomorrow. If you're not a member, $20 (one time) to join gets you 20% off a $400+ tent, so it'd probably be worth it to become a member.

On the other hand, REI brand stuff does frequently get discounts during sales. So it's not impossible it'll be on sale again in the future.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Lovelyn posted:

I'm going to try to summit St. Helens in late June! I've only done shorter day hikes so I want to make sure I have everything I need and would love input:

40L pack
3L camel pak
Sunglasses
Gloves I don't care about
Neck gaiter
Hiking poles
Sun protection
Extra socks

What should I do for layers? Am I missing anything else important?

I don't know what it'll be like in a few weeks, but there's still quite a bit of snow up there (from what I can see). If there is a lot, you could need crampons and maybe even an ice axe. I've never summited Helens, though, just hiked around it.

This may have some useful information for you: https://www.mshinstitute.org/

I assume you have a permit already?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm prone to blisters, so I've used leukotape and blister band aids more than anything in my first aid kit.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I might have missing someone saying it, but:

Always tell someone where you're going and when you plan to return. This is always a good idea, but doubly important if you're going alone. Make sure it's someone you can trust.

This isn't even just for overnight trips. It takes us almost zero effort to text my dad each week to let him know the trail we're hiking and roughly when we'll return. The few times we've forgotten to let him know we're back, he'll text to check in.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

God Hole posted:

for more forested hikes i usually bring my singlenest hammock with me. barely any weight/storage penalty and it takes less than a minute to set up comfortably enough and then i have a chair and a bed for my lunch break

Yeah, hammocks make amazing camp chairs. I can't lean back fully in our Helinox chairs without worrying about falling over. But sitting sideways in the hammock with it pulled up behind my head is so drat comfortable. I do usually put something under my legs so the edge doesn't press into my thighs.

It probably takes about the same amount of time to set up as a Helinox type chair though. Probably better for camp or a relaxed lunch break than just a brief trail rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I have a lightweight Patagonia hooded sunshirt that is almost all I hike in now. It's thin enough that a slight breeze goes right through it, so I don't mind hiking with the hood up even in heat. It's great.

I been meaning to get another one just to mix it up on longer trips. I've heard good things about Outdoor Research sun shirts.