Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone have suggestions for a jacket that isn't too bulky to wear in the winter time for North-East US? I've just been wearing my Burton coat for years, which is extremely warm and great for layering, but it's so big and bulky. Don't necessarily need something that heavy duty when I'm just driving to work or for casual hiking (2-4 hours tops) around in the winter.

No one ever seems to put the temperatures for their region/use in product reviews :shrug: Average Lows here in Buffalo in February are 19º according to a quick Google search (which is 5-10º higher than I would have guessed) but with windchill and such it can easily get below 0.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks guys :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I suppose this question is antithetical to the thread, but I'm not sure where else more appropriate :v:

Any Adirondacks experts here? Looking for recommendations for a mountain that can be done in a day with dogs. Seems like most of the High Peaks suggest making a 2-day trip, based on reviews on AllTrails

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Osprey Tempest seems to be the women's equivalent to the Talon which is what I have. Convenient little hip pockets, clips across both the belly and the chest, lots of pockets on the outside for water bottle, water bladder, and whatever else. Water proof zipper pocket for valuables.

It's not cheap but I don't think it's extremely expensive, either. Definitely great for day hikes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For those who camp with canine companions, what do you bring for them to sleep in/on/under in cooler weather? I was thinking of doing my first primitive camping experience in 2 weeks time. I'm in western New York, so early November is typically 30-50ºF. One is a hound, the other is a pit - so they are both pretty short-coated.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any suggestions for a light glove with a rubber/silicone grip on them? I bought a $20 pair of Moosejaw brand gloves that have tremendous grip, great for walking my dogs in the cold weather when most regular gloves would have issues with a leash in each hand... But a month and change later and they're already starting to tear at the seams?

Gonna contact MJ tonight, but they no longer sell these gloves apparently. So I doubt they have a replacement pair they can send me...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just looking for a thin glove for 25-40ºF where my hands are slightly too cold if unexposed while walking my dogs 1-3 miles every day.

I've got plenty of "real" gloves for when I'm snowboarding and out in colder temperatures and all that jazz.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks for all the replies; no Costco unfortunately but I'm liking the look of those Burton Powerstretch Liner Gloves that Verman linked. Those look very similar to what I currently have.

highme posted:

If you have big hands I have a pair of Burton spring/pipe gloves I’ll drop in the mail for you. I bought them one spring day and stuffed them in my van’s center console, then forgot about them.

I'm definitely on the Small end, but thanks for the offer

sb hermit posted:

Do you guys usually just hand wash them anyway?

Ever see that Mitch Hedberg bit about his dry clean only shirt? :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Math You posted:

Their entire brand was about offering cheap, durable, mountaineering gear that lasted forever

Sounds like a great way to not sell a whole lot of stuff :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do you guys wear them day to day, or just for active use?

I've only ever owned 1 pair of wool socks in my life, some Carhartt wool blend advertised as a "boot sock" I bought off Amazon 8 years ago for $14. They're nice over my "regular" socks in the winter when it's mega cold, or snowboarding

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

nate fisher posted:

There are merino wool socks for running and all kinds of summer activity.

Yea I have seen those, my only experience is with the "heavy duty" ones meant for warmth over anything else I guess.

1redflag posted:

About two years ago I got rid of all my cotton socks and replaced them with ~10 pairs of darn tough wool socks and, honestly, it’s been one of the best purchases/upgrades I’ve made in my life. Wool socks everyday all day.

Gotchya; this is what I was wondering. I asked my buddy who is more knowledgeable about the kinds of things discussed ITT and he seemed to think dailying wool sounded expensive / "not worth it" but he's also... well, I wouldn't call him cheap, but he certainly doesn't dispose of his disposable income as willingly as I do :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have never heard of anyone refer to a water bladder as a bad idea, never mind a terrible one 🤨

I don't use mine often, but it is nice. Beats carrying a water bottle on multi hour hikes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea not having to stop for a drink sounds silly but it's honestly the greatest.

Especially when you have a hound with you who NEEDS 2 SNIFF EVERYTHING

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I want to try some poles, but I almost always have my 2 dogs with me (leashed) and it just seems like too much of a pain to manage poles and leashes when we encounter other dogs or just other people on narrow sections of the trails. They're friendly, but they like to jump on people which I don't like.

Any of you guys try out the poles and pooches mix? How's it work?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have something like that. It's not an actual product, I just wrap a leash through my belt loops, then hook their leashes to that and they pull me by the waist.

It leaves my hands free, mostly, but I still need to grab the leashes and reel them in when there are other dogs / people.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, that might make a lot more sense :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey thread, I'm unemployed and now seems like a good time to go for my first-ever backpacking trip. I'm thinking just 1 day/night to keep it simples, but I'm wondering what equipment I should buy?

I've got basically everything for car camping - good tent, okay sleeping bag + pad for underneath, a big battery pack to make sure my phone and whatnot are fully charged, headlamp, and a small backpack (Talos 25 I think, but maybe it's a 22), decent boots and good socks to wear.

Given that I'm unemployed, I don't want to spend much money on remaining things... But I'm not even sure what exactly I should buy? Some sort of water filtratrion thingamajig? Something to cook in?

Also I'll have my 2 dogs with me FWIW

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Backpacking, yea. Only REI near me is like 90 minutes away which I guess would be worthwhile but :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I was thinking I'd just cook over the fire.

East Otto Forest in WNY is where I was looking. There is a lake but I don't think there's anything readily drinkable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this kinda question but :shrug:

I have a really old (6-8 years?) waterproof outer shell that I absolutely love... But lately every time I put it on, I get absolutely COVERED in little white specks. It looks like I have ludicrous amounts of dandruff. It still keeps me dry in the rain, but is that part of the waterproofing just wearing off? Is there a way to "repair" it, such as those spray-on hydrophobic coatings?

Alternatively, any suggestions for a lightweight rain coat? This was perfect for warm wet days where you don't really need a "jacket", just want to stay dry.

Haven't really been able to find anything quite like it, if I have seen something like it you can't actually tell from the photos online. For example: https://www.moosejaw.com/product/eddie-bauer-men-s-cloud-cap-rain-jacket_10551832
They do list the weight, but can't see how thick it is because it's zipped up in all the photos lol. I guess I should just go ball up my current one and see what it weighs for comparison...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey guys, looking for a recommendation for a large pack that still fits as a carry-on for flights?

I'll be bringing at least:
- Tent + sleeping bag
- Climbing shoes + harness
- Two days of clothes
- 30 & 60oz water bottles
- Other stuff I haven't realized I need yet?

Also, super awkward that you can fly with a tent but tent stakes need to go in checked luggage. I mean I get it, but still annoying lol.

Planning my first flying-and-camping trip in May and just finding a bunch of small hiccups like this :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 18, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea the more I think about it I think I'll just have to suck it up and deal with the mild added inconvenience of checked luggage.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It is in the sense of having to get to the airport earlier :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They've been offering free gate checks before every flight I've been on recently.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but my understanding was if you have checked luggage you need to arrive a little bit earlier than if you have only a carry on. I had to have my flight bumped like 2 years ago [last time I flew] because I missed the cutoff for when checked luggage was being loaded onto the plane, not realizing that was a thing :(

Catatron Prime posted:

Are you going to have a rental vehicle

Yea I'm just renting a lil' 2 seater convertible off Turo. I was easily convinced to just go the checked route from the other responses, so I'm going to use a small suitcase I have and use my regular ~20L pack for my carryon, pretty sure the suitcase is small enough to fit in the trunk and then I'll just have my bag on me the rest of the time.