Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on bears, and if the post I made was factually incorrect I apologize. Guns aren't an option for me personally because of mental health issues. My political opinions include backpackers and other wilderness activity registering a firearm permit for personal protection, and in more dangerous regions than the one I was in that may be appropriate. I was asking about specific examples of bears coming back after being maced because I've never heard of that and if it's an issue I would like to be informed. Please do not interpret anything I've posted as less than an absolute, total defense of your own life in immediate danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

On my last trip, some kind soul had left behind a 5 gal hard plastic bucket for getting drinking water *cough* putting out illegal fires in the multiple firepits *cough cough*. It was honestly very handy having water to filter right next to my camp, so now I'm thinking about light foldable buckets. This seems to be the going option - anyone used it or have a better choice?

e: on further thought, what I'm looking for here is probably better served by one of those large-volume gravity fed filters. How about those impressions?

Chard fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 11, 2018

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Water buckets are great! But you're overthinking it... not necessarily these, but laminated reusable shopping/tote bags are freaking great at collecting water, especially to fill other stuff like filters or Sawyer bags which are a pain to fill at the source..

Actually, if you're just looking for water at camp, I just bring about 2 gallons worth of liter Sawyer bags to mule up close to camp or if there's water issues. They're durable, weigh nothing, don't cost much, are easy to rearrange in a pack and redistribute weight, and have worked great for me for years. I just treat clean water right into them, doesn't take long with the BeFree filter

CopperHound posted:

Be mindful of what kind of water source you plan on encountering. Trying to fill a collapsible container in a shallow water can be a frustrating experience. Gravity filtering is great (less work), but sometimes I wish I could just drop a hose down into a shallow water source and pump it up.

I do have a bunch of shopping bags that might work, I'll have to see if any of them are tough enough. I've been using a Katadyn Vario filter for a few years now which is great, except it's both large and heavy, but does benefit from having a good pre-filter and can suck water out of a sneeze. But I think the Sawyer system is probably where I was heading all along, possibly with some kind of scoop if conditions warrant. The inline option is pretty cool, but it's a bit of a mental hurdle putting unfiltered water into a hydration pack. Time for more research.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I want to see what literally any amount of sand/dirt does to that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Good books on AT/PCT/other through-hiking?

Chard fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 3, 2018

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Late to the game, but nthing Darn Tough socks. They also make different weights of weaves, so you can adjust a bit for fit or weather.

For pad-inflater users: how much do you think it extends the lifespan of the pad? Is it worth it from a cost perspective of extending the normal lifespan (and what is that number) versus replacement?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rolo posted:

Any recommendations here? Amazon is kind of overwhelming on the camping food front.

Mountain House stroganoff is a personal favorite, both for flavor and portion size. I also like Alpineaire, they have some good veg/vegan options. If you have an outdoor store nearby go browse their offerings, the bulk/cost/calorie ratio of different meals can vary significantly.

In general, rice meals will take longer to 'cook' than noodles, and sauce/protein the least time of all. Also don't overlook ramen for overnight trips, Shin Ramyun is my go-to for spicy warm meals under $2.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oh yeah, I was only thinking about dinner. Oatmeal is breakfast if you want to cook, otherwise it's just another dry meal. I never cook lunches that is always preserved meats/cheese/peanut butter, with crackers or tortillas. I like roasted edamame as a high-protein snack, tinned fish can be good, tuna packets exist... there are a ton of options that don't involve self-heating gimmicks.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I refuse anything named foon on principle. This war was fought, sporks won, get over it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FireTora posted:

Anyone have experience with the Nemo Dagger 2 or the MSR Hubba Hubba NX, or even both? Looking to replace my Fly Creek UL2 with something a little roomier since I'm with my partner on most trips now. I'm leaning towards the Dagger, but the Hubba is slightly cheaper with the current REI sale.

I have the Hubba Hubba NX2, if that's what you're asking about. It's a loving palace at it's weight, both folks have full head-to-toe sleep area (no taper), the vestibules are huge, fly vents at both ends, can be pitched with just fly and footprint. You pay for all that of course but I like it and they've done me right in customer service so far. My only complaint is the door zippers have trouble "rounding the bend" on the door unless the tent is tightly staked out which for a free-standing tent shouldn't be an issue IMO.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Speaking of REI, I just picked up a Fly Creek HV UL1 for $174, which is $70 less than their 25% off sale price on the website. They also gave me a $20 gift card.

Chard fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 25, 2018

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SpitztheGreat posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for cameras? I feel like my camera phone just doesn't do enough to capture depth details like a true digital camera with lens' can. I'm not a professional photographer obviously, and I'd only get something second hand, but I don't know where to begin. I see some of the photos in the archived Photos thread, and I imagine that most were taken with true cameras.

I've not used them but the moment case+lens system seems popular. Beyond that you'd probably be better served in the photo forums.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

They're getting hammered, stuff is going out of stock while I'm looking at it :rip: quilt

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Just built a thing out of washers and mason cord that lets me pitch poles 'naked' and then cover up with the fly, making a waterproof shelter for pitching the actual tent. Fixes an issue that has bugged me about tents with the footprint+fly system: you risk ending up with a ton of moisture on the topside of your groundcloth while you work on poles and fly. This way I can throw down some polycryo under the fly and be snug as a bug :science:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

winter is a fucjk

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Morbus posted:

Better views, no permit quotas, no bear cans, no stream crossings, no lovely wobbly talus fields, no people, and no loving smoke. Winter where it at son.

Well yeah eventually. Right now it's all low-40s rain and icy morning roads

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Someone itt posted they had picked up the oru folding kayak - how is that holding up at this point?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm between Sacramento and Santa Cruz CA, so yeah mostly flatwater paddling and fishing/birding/camping. The issue is storage and something that tranformers down to a briefcase is appealing on that basis.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

khysanth posted:

Definitely not on full blast. Somewhere around medium/low is the most efficient use of fuel. Also use a windscreen.

I picked up a pocket rocket last year and one of the warnings in the manual was to not use windscreens. IIRC it didn't explicitly say why so I assumed it was to avoid possibly cooking the fuel canister and detonating it, but unless you're using the windscreen totally wrong that seems pretty unlikely. I've done it and have all my fingers!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Trekology aluft pillow for me, 15 bucks and a nice valve that folds up small and light

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm eyeballing the Patagonia Down Sweater for my 20% + dividend splurge. Question: down jacket owners, do you think having an insulated hood is worth it? I'm leaning towards no since I have a good hat and with my waterproof jacket (and optional neck fleece thing) I feel it would just be in the way.

e: it's bogus that REI only sells the ghost whisperer in women's :mad:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

I used my 20% on another pair of merrell moabs, the comfiest and most versatile shoe I've ever owned. Then after wearing them a couple days and kicking them off into my normal shoe dumping point, it registered that I've been doing this for at least six years. Probably longer, I'm pretty sure I had a fourth pair that got thrown out and I get two years out of a pair. Bought them at first for day hikes and loved them so much they turned into my dailies.

I feel like spiderman in these things, they stick to everything I walk on.

Moabs were the first shoe I ever walked into a store wearing one busted pair and walked out in a new set of the same

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Wish I lived someplace that allowed campfires :/

let me tell u about sovereign citizenship :v:

Chard fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 22, 2019

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

We had a guy in Scouts get a burn like that, but on like his entire back because he was hiking shirtless. Pretty sure he had to go to the hospital.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CopperHound posted:

Use the poles to hold up one end of your tarp when you end up trying to hammock camp in an oak Savannah where the trees are 50+ meters apart.

California oak savannahs are the main reason I haven't gone full hammock, it's just more comfortable having the peace of mind to not worry about those scenarios

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

It would be a good contrast from the "These are the basic items you need to go camping on a budget" videos where they require a $200 cooler.

:chloe: stop watching those videos

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rolo posted:

I love stranger presents.

I have a complete undamaged REI Passage 1 tent that I found in its stuff sack in the woods. Definitely hadn’t been moved in awhile but it was easy to clean and defunk the footprint that the rest was wrapped in.

Pretty sure it’s not haunted.

congrats on your new ghosts

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

-Anders posted:

Tie them like this, and they won't come undone.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

I've used this knot on everything from combat boots, FiveFingers to my everyday dress shoes for the office, it never comes undone.

This knot is great. A footwear salesperson at REI showed me that one, it was very much a :aaa: moment, I wish I'd let the supervisor know how good she was at the time. You can also put one extra twist in step 1 to help lock the knot in place.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

second the PR2, it's all you need. if you need to melt snow or w/e you should be using white gas anyway.

For pot i use the Toaks 750 titanium mug, think it cost me $20 and cooks in all heat sources including fires

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

do not spend two hundreds of dollars on pots unless you can smoke them to get high

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

one band-aid and a mixed fistful of loperamide, ibuprofen, and diphenhydramine

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm always going to recommend the Sawyer squeeze for filtering water. Tiny, lightweight, no moving parts to worry about, and relatively cheap.
If you're dead-set on having a gravity filter option you can use the bits that come with the filter to inline it between two reservoirs or get a Cnoc bag that screws right into the threads on the sawyer and hang that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

if you're bringing cast iron already what else do you need :confused:

nah but thrift it like they said. get some short shorts & loud short sleeve button-ups while you're there and fit in with the $$$ crowd

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

patagonia has casual shirts @ msrp of like 80 united states dollars lol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

You don't use a pad for hammock sleeping? I've found that I need one, but I'm a side/rotisserie sleeper in general.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Holy crapola the sawyer squeeze is so much faster than gravity filters.

My only issue with the thing is that the bags are incredibly annoying to fill. If you're filling from a lake/river they never get completely full, so I found. It worked a bit better when filling from a moving canoe.

Pro tip I observed (and stole the idea for) on a recent overnighter - bring a spare gallon ziploc and dip that into standing water, then pour into your squeezebag with a minimum of fuss.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i want ursacks to be good, but they are not :(

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CopperHound posted:

Are they actually not bear resistant enough or is the complaint just that they aren't approved for areas that requires bear canisters?

This is all anecdotal, but both. They're not approved for major areas of the Sierras including Yosemite, but I've also heard that bears can pierce the bag and will crush everything inside to a fine powder regardless of if they pierce it. I've heard of a metal insert to counter piercing but overall it seems like the solution just isn't there yet.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

give me your hiker trash recipes. i want spammish rice, i want salmon ramen, i want the grit and i want it dirt cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have to reluctantly get on the Packit bandwagon, at least the few I've tried have been delicious. It seems like their dehydration process preserves the vegetables' structure a bit better and they include plenty of protein. That said I think some of the meals that *also* require tortillas or something else are a bit overpriced, and have not tried them - tuna packets are just so much easier and cheaper.

e: you can definitely set up a tent like that single-handed (it probably requires a trekking pole or equivalent piece of stick), they're not tricky. a $20 aliexpress tent is going to be made of tissue and spit though