Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

How to make a hammock:
1.)Find a loving table cloth: http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/tablecloths-Table-Linens-Chair-Covers-Sashes-s/132.htm
2.)Lash the ends http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html or just gather it and tie a sheet bend with your loving suspension: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I
3.)Hang the hammock and don't you dare use loving rope on a tree in a public park and ruin it for the rest of us: https://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/hammock-camping-101/

Congratulations. You just made an ENO hammock for less than 1/3 the price.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Chard posted:

In my mind heavy stuff goes down in that area to keep center of gravity low. What am I missing?
Moving your weight higher in the pack can help you stand more upright.

Here is a lovely example of how you would have to balance if your pack's center of mass is at the red spot:

There is a limit to how much weight you would want high, especially on technical terrain. Small movements of the pack can push you off balance.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I did look into it a little but decided against buying some for my first aid kit. From what I read, It burns like hell and has to be completely washed out before you can get stitched up. It is pretty much stuff that should be a last resort to bleeding out from a severed artery. Do you see yourself barely winning any knife fights?

I put a few steri-strips and some benzoin tincture in my first aid kit for deep cuts. I figure that is as much as I can handle without doing more harm than good.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I always scoffed at alcohol stoves, but today I had some denatured alcohol, aluminum cans, and time:

I still need to try it out in breezy or rainy conditions, but I think I'm a convert.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I built this style of stove: http://zenstoves.net/BasicSideBurner.htm
I don't need to pour priming alcohol around the side and just light the center. At least in my kitchen the jets fire up pretty fast. I didn't time but I think less than 30 seconds. I still need to RTV the two halves together, so if I put in enough fuel to get a liter of water to a rolling boil it does sputter out the sides some.

I'll still bring white gas for two person trips longer than a couple days because I estimate that we boil close to 20 cups of water a day with all the tea we drink.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I need to start drinking soda or pbr to try a few more designs. After I glued that stove closed with rtv the alcohol was boiling off too fast. I got big orange flames and alcohol condensing on the bottom of pot. I'll try a making it a little taller next time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe you should try dunking each fabric in some water then wear it before you say they are close enough to the same.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Should I get a double bag for my wife and I or just stick with individual bags?
For the sake of your marriage get separate bags. If you are car camping and think you'd want to cuddle just bring a big duvet or comforter.

If you think you still want to try sharing a bag, just buy the men's and women's version of the same bag. Usually the zippers on opposite sides and will zip together. You will only do it once.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 16, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Do you have some way to vent just your side of the bag? I end up over heating until either of us shift and suck the bag full of outside cold air.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

What do backpackers do about washing clothes? I'm assuming it is bad form to wash in/near a fresh water source, but I can't recall ever seeing any sort of wash basin on gear lists.

E: I'm picturing someone washing one sock at a time in their jetboil.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 16, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Sleeping bags for car camping with an air mattress?
As in an inflatable twin/queen size thing? Bring your duvet from home.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

khysanth posted:

How do you decide whether or not to treat water?
The thought process in my head: Is there a chance this water has touched animal poo poo? Yes? Are you okay with having terrible shits for a week? No? Treat it.

In less developed countries replace 'terrible shits for a week' with cholera.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Canisters are still an Isobutane/propane mix.

Look for something called a heat spreader if the hot spots are too bad.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is there a goonsensus on hats that I won't ruin by cramming into a stuff sack? I have a narrow brim fishing hat but it doesn't keep the sun off my nose and neck. Have any thoughts on a wide brim vs ballcap+neck drape style?

I already wear socks with sandals, so I don't need to worry about looking any more stupid, but I would prefer no cammo print.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Several months later I decided to do something about not having a pot stand for my alcohol stove:

And it fits in the pot:

I used this tool to draw the cone template for me: http://zenstoves.net/PotStands-Conical.htm#ConeTemplates

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Backpacking with a dog can throw all sorts of complications in the mix. I know the Labrador I had would most likely manage to puncture my inflatable mat, the tent floor, or my down bag if I let him in the tent.

I have only done a couple overnighters with a dog, but it wasn't too cold for him just to sleep below my hammock... I'd probably go for a ridgerest/or z-rest mat strapped to the outside of my pack. They suck for side sleeping, but are cheap and are fine at keeping your backside warm.

Also regarding dog stuff: They aren't so great at letting you know how tired there are. When hiking longer distance they might just push themselves to the point that they plop down and refuse to go any further.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 28, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Levitate posted:

Re: inflatable pads, the REI Flash version isn't bad for weight/warmth/price compared to some of the more expensive ones like the Neo Air.
In my stupid obsession of wanting to sleep in a hammock while being prepared for sleeping on the ground I'm trying out a wide REI flash in favor of an underquilt. The baffle design does help it bend to the contour of the hammock and the wide version can cradle my shoulders to keep the from getting cold. The only problem is that is is a vapor barrier so I ended up with a sweaty back when I tried it.

Leperflesh posted:

I find the most useful things to bring are painkillers, allergy meds, moleskin, and band aids (I get the waterproof type).
Don't forget a few loperamide pills. You most likely won't need it, but it can make a very unpleasant experience bearable.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've been wrapping it around my index finger and pinkie and tying it off, but that tends to get tangled.
If you are not already, try wrapping it in a figure 8 motion.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

the yeti posted:

I'm not sure what counts as proper high abrasion, I'm just trying to avoid dropping 100 bucks on pants that I shred on brambles or cut kneeling in the rocks or bracing flipped logs/shale/tin/etc against my legs.
Some sort of synthetic blend will have much more abrasion resistance/weight than straight natural fiber. I used to buy heavy duck cotton pants for work, but I found I wear through them faster than a $25 pair of 65%poly/35%cotton dickies that are about half the weight. I can't tell if it helps much for cuts or snags though.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Get a time machine and go to Costco that used to sell great wool t-shirts for cheap. I bought 5 of their long sleeved ones recently, $20 CAD a pop. I did an experiment where I wore one for two weeks straight. No smell. Wool is life.
Make sure to read the tag. A while back I picked up a 'Merino Blend' base layer from Costco thinking it meant wool with a bit of poly for durability. Nope. 11% wool.

E: also, since it is sized for Costco demographic the small size fit more like a relaxed fit medium.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't used them myself, but maybe these?

They also come in solid colors. Just look up sun sleeves.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Still is kind of bulky, but I use one or two comparments popped out of this thing for travel pills.
https://www.amazon.com/Dose-Weekly-Pop-Out-Planner-Small/dp/B001THDDFC

I think you are over thinking this. Why not just use some dime bags for your drugs?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Morbus posted:

There is a 100% chance that if I put a lighter in my first aid kit I will just lose my first aid kit
Keep a third in your pants :heysexy:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Zippos man. Zippos.
Can I pour some white gas in those after all the fuel evaporates away while sitting unused?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I bought 600' of Amsteel blue and I think I have made a mistake, I should have ordered much more. Why? I don't know. It calls to me to make more things.
I had to resist buying a full reels of that stuff and zing-it. I can end up wasting a huge amount of time on DIY stuff.

On a related note, does anyone want a capillary hoop stove? I may have gotten a little carried away:
https://i.imgur.com/tS9Q3KX.gifv
I can send one (or five) for whatever it costs to mail them out. Otherwise my extras are probably going to end up on the trash when I move.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

armorer posted:

I've wanted to make one of these for a while, just from a curiosity perspective. What design did you base these on?
Most of them are based on tetkoba's eCHS with v8, apple juice, and sparkling wine cans. https://youtu.be/wTp5zTOYPHQ

I tried a couple of another style, but it uses 3 cans, takes more effort, and doesn't seem to perform any better.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Why does a stainless bottle have a gold colored ring that isn't just tea/coffee stain?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If you're looking to chop out a battery or two entirely, may I suggest taking a look at Zebralight's flashlights?
I can vouch for zerbra light, just don't leave non rechargable batteries is it. It will leak and it will get stuck in the light... Also don't spend the money on one for your mom if she doesn't use rechargable batteries.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I can't say that is a deciding factor for me. It is the physical build quality that impresses me along with being able to set the output anywhere between barely on and retina searing bright.

It doesn't have red or green LEDs in the same package, so that might be a mark against it depending on your needs.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Almost at the point of buying one of those headband adapters for a mini mag light and just running with that for the rest of my life.
Have you tried using an LED minimag in the past decade? Relying on aluminum as one half of an electrical switch for the twist on/off style of flashlight is pretty lovely. I have to give my AA maglite a good smack against a hard surface to get full output every time I turn it on.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Chard posted:

e: for warm weather how feasible is it to just use a regular sleeping bag instead of quilt(s)? I tend to sleep pretty hot anyway.
If it is cool enough for a blanket, your backside will probably get chilly.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I use a wide REI flash pad in my hammock and it isn't terrible. Underquilts are nice, but I like having the option to be on the ground if necessary.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Most other people I backpack with do what I started out doing, ripstop nylon bag hung off a tree. If you do this, don't use Paracord, it's garbage and stretches which fucks with the knots and your ability to undo them. Techline is much lighter, stronger, and usable. Also use a PCT Hang to tie off the bag.
Arborist throw line is what to look for if you want to buy a full spool for a reasonable price. It is designed to do exactly what we need without snagging on bark or wearing out. It is essentially weightless and strong enough for anything we need other than suspending a human.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If it is a sock type net your only worry should be that it isn't too short for your hammock. Also you should have a ridge line to keep the thing off your face.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Be mindful of what kind of water source you plan on encountering. Trying to fill a collapsible container in a shallow water can be a frustrating experience. Gravity filtering is great (less work), but sometimes I wish I could just drop a hose down into a shallow water source and pump it up.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Honestly, the Sawyer is extremely frustrating in my experience, with the amount of effort required relative to the low flow. I just use the sawyer water bags on their own to mule water when necessary.
I have a sawer (not mini). Squeeze filtering is complete bullshit, but when I couple it to my hydration bag and hold it up a couple feet it works quite well with minimal work.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

For guylines I throw up the devil horns with my left hand and figure-8 the line. I still have to sorta jam the bundle in my snake skin, but it doesn't get tangled.

I keep my lines long for versatile pitches.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

My big tangle issue is the continuous ridgeline, that tangles pretty easily with the nighteeze tech line, which is otherwise awesome.
How do you hang your tarp when the continuous ridge line is inside the snake skin?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I used to hate on zipping bags together, but if you just half zip them and use it as one big quilt it is much more bearable. It is just a little weird to have separate foot pockets with mummy bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

For dinner, mountain house isn't terrible. If you're feeling adventurous you can prepare meals from https://www.trail.recipes/recipe-collection/dehydrated-backpacking-meals/ ahead of time.
I pretty much just pack some starch (couscous & instant potatoes), dried mixed veggies, protein (tvp), oil, and flavor (bullion).

For lunch I usually pack something calorie dense like summer sausage, hard cheese, and tortillas.