Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a sawyer mini and have used it to filter water for 2 people on several short (2-4 day) climbing trips. It works great. I carry a few chlorine or iodine tablets as a backup in the extremely off chance that my filtration system breaks, but I've never needed them. Squeezing the bag isn't that big of a deal, but I wouldn't want to use a sawyer mini if I were filtering for a larger group. For one or two people it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm struggling to think of a scenario where I have four hours to wait for my water to purify, but cannot make a fire and boil some water in substantially less time.

It's raining and you're tired. Put tablet in bottle, go to sleep. Or you have a bottle of clean water still, but you're passing a stream. Finish off the last of another bottle, refill it and add tablet, proceed on your way.

armorer fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 27, 2017

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

khysanth posted:

How do you decide whether or not to treat water?

Just treat.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Giardia and cryptosporidium are all over the place. They're even found in streams super close to glacial runoff. Just treat your water, it really isn't that hard.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Re: fire starting - I used to carry all that stuff. Now I just carry several (3 or so) bog standard Bic lighters, typically in the small snack bag ziplocks, tucked into various pockets in things.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Leperflesh posted:

OK well I'll take the CDC's recommendations over yours, sorry. And my new filter was $19.99 so that's alright. :)

In other news, I dug out my stove and ugh, apparently they don't sell Gaz canisters in the US any more. I still have a full canister and another half-full but after those are gone, my little backpacking stove becomes useless in the US. I guess I need a new backpacking stove, too.

I would look for a canister adapter before giving up on it entirely.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Morbus posted:

Words about gloves ...

... , Outdoor Research Extravert, ...

I wear these when I go ice climbing, while I am actively climbing. While belaying or otherwise not moving much I shove them inside my coat to keep them warm and put on Kinco 901T mitts.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

CopperHound posted:

I had to resist buying a full reels of that stuff and zing-it. I can end up wasting a huge amount of time on DIY stuff.

On a related note, does anyone want a capillary hoop stove? I may have gotten a little carried away:
https://i.imgur.com/tS9Q3KX.gifv
I can send one (or five) for whatever it costs to mail them out. Otherwise my extras are probably going to end up on the trash when I move.

I've wanted to make one of these for a while, just from a curiosity perspective. What design did you base these on?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

incogneato posted:

All this talk of GPS stuff reminded me:

What are people's thoughts on stuff like the Gaia GPS app? Is it worth $20/$40 per year? Are any hiking GPS apps worth it?

We just do long day hikes and fairly simple backpacking, always on trails. It's nice to be able to check our place on a trail, find junctions, etc.

We always have our phones with us anyway, since they are also our cameras.

I use US Topo Maps on my phone, which has been great for some alpine climbing trips in the US. It's a one time purchase for the paid version.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Levitate posted:

Seems like they'd have to horse pack in a poo poo ton of stuff to a kind of base camp in the lower altitude because it's not like they could drive to a nice trailhead, but then they'd do their excursions to the peaks with just a rucksack or something.

If you replace the horse with a car, there are still some places like this. If you want remote alpine climbing in the lower 48, the picket range can still serve that up.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
That's two people now in just a few pages saying their wives lost their tents. How does that happen exactly? Did they fail to stake them down while camping on a ridge line, and have them get blown off or something?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
If you have to use a canister stove in those conditions, make sure to have an isobutane based mix rather than n-butane. Also see if you can get a hose to connect the canister so you can run it inverted.(edit: you cant really just flip the canister without having some kind of preheat-loop. Not sure if you can retrofit that on a canister stove in a cost effective way.) Those two changes will buy you another 20° F or so of operating range. Still not at all ideal, but a bit more reliable.

Edit: And actually read about why/how canister stoves fail in the cold if you haven't. You can have a full fuel canister that works and assume you'll be fine, but then have it fail long before it's empty because you've burned off all the propane and only have butane left.

armorer fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 24, 2018

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
How do you plan to use the stove? Will you be melting snow for water?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I think you should be okay with either option at 20°F and 9000ft. The canister stove should be more efficient, assuming it works, but the alcohol stove should be less error prone. If you can keep the canister warm / warm it up before you use it, then I don't think you'd run into issues unless you're running it for a while.

It's probably easier to warm up a small amount of alcohol though. You can just keep a small container in an inside pocket. I don't know how long it will take to melt snow with the alcohol stove in those conditions (or to boil water).

Essentially they each have different drawbacks.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Verman posted:

Brooks range is running 89% off sleeping bags/tarps/tents/clothing. GO GO GO!

Thanks for this. I bought a lot of stuff I don't need, but will use. And yeah, basically everything is out of stock now.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Rolo posted:

I’ve never used Trekkinn.com but they seem to have the Pocket Rocket 2 for 32 bucks.

I love mine. Very solid.

I've bought from trekkinn before and gotten some amazing deals, never had a problem.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Business of Ferrets posted:

The Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat has worked well for me.

I have this hat, works great.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
So what rotomolded cooler hits the best price/performance ratio? I could use one for some of the climbing trips I go on.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Ahhh, of COURSE Monoprice got in the game. Thanks!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

C-Euro posted:

My wife suddenly got the idea that she wants to go camping with the dog this weekend, despite the fact that we've never been camping outside of an overnight canoe trip five years ago where we were given all of our gear. As such, we need a tent and sleeping bag for Babby's First Camping Trip, which will just be one night at a state park in Eastern PA. I'm trying not to spend too much since she might end up hating the experience, so what are some good starter tents and sleeping bags if I can't find anyone around me with stuff I can borrow?

Assuming that you are car camping, don't bother getting a sleeping bag. Just bring some pillows, a sheet, and a blanket. It's super hot out now so you don't really need anything fancy. An air pad would make sleeping a lot more comfortable, but you can also just sleep on top of a folded comforter or something.

Basically I'm saying you just need a tent, and can use whatever bedding you have at home otherwise.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Dangerllama posted:

I’m confused. You guys are bear canistering when car camping?

That seems…unnecessary?

Bears will absolutely tear into your cars in some areas to get food.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Buy some cheddar cheese powder, and mix it into everything. Basically mac and cheese sauce mix, just without the mac.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
You could use smaller normal compression sacks, and then put them in a dry bag?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The problem with cotton is that when it gets wet it loses its insulating ability. This is not a problem with wool, and it may or may not be a problem with synthetics, depending on the synthetic. That's where "cotton kills" comes from - wet cotton in cold weather. Any fabric, if utterly saturated in cold water (like if you fall in a lake or something), is going to be cold though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Damnit, I want to buy a new tent during this sale, but the thing keeping me back is I want to sell or donate or give away my old one, first.

What's the old one?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Zappos should have free two way shipping if you're in the US. They used to, but I haven't bought from them in a while so I'm not sure if they still do. I've bought a ton of climbing shoes from them, including the same pair in multiple sizes in one order, and then shipped back everything I didn't want. I've done that several times now and never had an issue.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The zions also have an (unobtrusive) integrated pull-cinch belt thing. I have both and wear them mostly interchangeably. I do slightly prefer the brions for city wear and the zions when I'm out climbing or hiking, but they are very similar.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah, the zion cargo pockets start life very slim and snug. After a few years of jamming zip lock bags full of gummy bears into them on climbing trips though, they do puff out a little bit, but nothing like real cargo pants side pockets.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Has anyone gotten hands on an MSR Habitude 4 or 6?

I’m looking for my first family tent and for a fall hunting tent that can hold 3 guys and gear when we aren’t backpacking in. I’ve been using backpacking tents for 2 decades and I want something bigger that actually isn’t completely garbage. I was seriously looking at the North Face Wawona 6 but it by all accounts is too drafty for camping in freezing temperatures.

I’ve considered getting a seek outside tipi but it’s a lot more money and needing the bug liner during summer negates a lot of advantages for me to get one big enough. I’d still like to get a Cimmaron with a stove for backcountry trips but I’m so so on the added footprint size for pitching a red cliff or 8P tipi in the mountains.

In the past I would have considered the Cabelas Alaskan guide series tents but Cabelas gear has gone down hill for a decade or so now that I won’t buy an $800 tent from them.

This year I’ll be in the Wyoming Bighorns in mid October and that means the possibility of significant snowfall for this tent.

I have a Wawona 6 and I like it, it's massive and would comfortably house 3 large adult men with gear (with some gear in the very large vestibule). I haven't used it in freezing conditions, so I don't know how warm it would be. It has stayed dry through several heavy rainstorms though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Is it reasonable to adjust the pitch height to open or restrict airflow? I really like that tent otherwise but it doesn’t sound Ideal when it’s 15 degrees F outside on a windy mountain.

You can't really change the pitch height. There are two poles that cross to form the main body of the tent, a third that kind of runs above the "front" entrance (where the large vestibule is) and a fourth that goes at the very front of the vestibule. The design requires that both vestibules be staked in order for them to stay open properly. It's an "integrated rainfly" by which they really mean that the tent walls are essentially your rainfly. I was concerned they might leak, but they held up well so far. The front and rear doors on the tent are 100% mesh, so keeping the vestibules zipped up front and rear is a requirement if you want to keep the elements out. There are also two mesh panels at the top of the tent, with non-mesh covers that have vertical side zippers. with the zippers down, there's some velcro that holds the fabric over the mesh, or there are there little rod things that you can use to hold the flap open for airflow but still keep some rain out. Alternately you can unzip the sides on the flaps and roll the panels up to expose both mesh sections.

I'm 5'11" and can stand up without issue in there. I think you could sleep 5 adults alternating heads/feet across the floor and not be touching. I've had 3 adults in there on a few trips and it felt very spacious. The front vestibule was large anough to house two coolers, all of our cookware, and several backpacks, while still allowing for unimpeded access to both zip side doors. There's no floor beneath it, but all of that also stayed dry through some heavy rain. Even if you packed the vestibule to the point of inaccessibility, you can still enter and exit from the more typical low-slung vestibule on the back.

I would have some concerns about stability in high winds, especially if the terrain didn't allow you to stake the tent securely. It's a tall tent, with sides that end up mostly just sticking straight up at first before they form a dome, and I could see it rolling where a more angled, lower slung design wouldn't. My uses of it so far have all been car camping in comfort, rather than using my aging 2-man tent. I think it would make a great home base for a hunting trip, space-wise, in a lot of different terrain, but maybe not in mountain winds. If that's your primary use case I would look to one of the other options.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

The other tent I had considered is the Big Agnes Madhouse 6. It’s definitely another option that I could get at a decent price point.

I have no personal experience with that one, but the floor area and vestibule area are both larger than the Wawona 6, and the design at least looks more wind-worthy to my eye.

(Edit: the MSRP is also more than twice the Wawona 6)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Assuming you mean a two burner tabletop stove, Coleman stoves are pretty popular yeah. I have a competitor's stove though, and have been very happy with it for car camping:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S3HDBO/

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah it's nice to have a two burner stove for car camping. I have a few options for lightweight single burners for climbing trips, but if I am just car camping I bring that camp chef. It's great to have a percolator and pan going, or a cast iron griddle over both burners, etc.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I got one of these and they're pretty neat. Can't put them on the stove though.

Wish they had a way to securely connect the mug to the insulating sleeve though. I hook my mug to the outside of my pack via a carabiner through the handle and have had it slip out if the sleeve and drop onto the trail once or twice

One of the reviews says to just wrap a rubber band around it before you put it in the sleeve. May be worth a shot.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sab669 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a jacket that isn't too bulky to wear in the winter time for North-East US? I've just been wearing my Burton coat for years, which is extremely warm and great for layering, but it's so big and bulky. Don't necessarily need something that heavy duty when I'm just driving to work or for casual hiking (2-4 hours tops) around in the winter.

No one ever seems to put the temperatures for their region/use in product reviews :shrug: Average Lows here in Buffalo in February are 19º according to a quick Google search (which is 5-10º higher than I would have guessed) but with windchill and such it can easily get below 0.

They're expensive, but I am a huge fan of the Arc'teryx Atom lt as a mid layer for Philadelphia/NY winters. My typical drive to work attire is a long sleeve shirt, the atom, and either a fall or lightweight winter jacket. It's not the warmest thing by itself, but it weighs extremely little and is very thin, and as a result is somehow way warmer than it has any right to be. It's also good for hiking or other outdoor activities, when you're generating some heat.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I just want to point out that all of these suggestions,while different products, are actually the same suggestion. That is, get a quality lightweight mid-layer.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sunny Side Up posted:

if weight is no issue and you're not going to be cooking below freezing, sure. i'd still say if you're outside your car like for example stealth camping at a rest area then alcohol stove would probably be the cheapest, most portable, and most inconspicuous.

if you're actually hiking a few miles into the woods and you're carrying butane which is probably the most common hiker stove fuel it'll condense below something like 34ºF and you won't have a way to melt snow unless you have a backup way of making a fire. another thing you can do is bury it deep in your pack so it's somewhat insulated, but if it's 10ºF out and you're gonna be hiking 7-8 hours that is a risk.

Yeah if you ever end up in that situation, stuff the canister into your jacket for a while, wherever it will stay. Your backpack waist strap will likely keep it in there. Also sleep with it in your sleeping bag.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

das_bill posted:

... Only issue is I had to throw my backpack off a cliff when we went the 'wrong way' ...

Do tell? These are always the best stories.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Looks like a solid adventure, worth a broken valve for. And to be fair, that descent does look doable. lovely, but lacking any other known way down I would do it. That said, I'm a climber and have solo'd some tall but moderate stuff, so my risk threshold is not exactly normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Any tips on hiking with a heavy pack? When packing climbing equipment, my backpack ends up somewhere north of 35 kilos and the pack doesn't sit very well on my hips then. I have a well padded Lundhags 75 liter pack and if I normally carry ropes externally the rest can fit inside.

35 kilos is heavy, even with climbing gear. On the alpine climbing I've done I've come in around 65 lbs when fully loaded, with gear that I probably didn't need. Granted, that's carrying a bivvy sack and no tent.