Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

OSU_Matthew posted:

Alcohol
Fuels:
eg don't buy red HEET, it's toxic... or was it yellow that was toxic?

Both are toxic, but red HEET is isopropanol, a heavier alcohol which will burn with soot.

Don't buy either, buy Klean Strip Green alcohol because it has the highest concentration of ethanol, which is the perfect balance of energy dense and being almost soot-free. Or Everclear if you want your fuel to be multipurpose.

I've tried a couple stoves, including the pricier ones, and still love my Trangia best. Storing fuel in it makes it so easy I often take it on day hikes just to make tea.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Sawyer squeeze- cheap squeazable and light hollow tube filter membrane. Doesn't do viruses, but that's usually not an issue in North America. Can be a bit of work squeezing the bags though, and don't forget to backflush it after every use!

I have one of these and think highly of it. Backflushing isn't enough though - they recommend nuking it with bleach now and then. The idea is that it'll destroy all the organic matter stuck in there, but it's hard to find fragrance free bleach, and even if you do it's gunna be stinky unless you really put effort into clearing it out.

What I recommend is buying some 35% hydrogen peroxide off Amazon (go ahead and get food grade), mixing it 1:2 with boiling water (CAREFUL), and squeezing that through. You'll be surprised how easy your next squeeze will be. It will leave no residue, flush with a bit of normal water and it's like new.

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you like to make your own, I like Pad Thai, which is just dehydrated chicken, rice noodles, pb2 peanut butter concentrate, Knorr dehydrated veggies, and sriracha to flavor after cooking the rest rehydrate in boiled water for 7 minutes

Also, Tasty Bites Madras Lentils are loving awesome, especially with a pouch of chicken, corn, quinoa, and hawaiian rolls. Fried onions on the top for extra flavor!

YES TO MAKING YOUR OWN! If I had the time and energy I'd make my own thread on this. I recommend to anyone: buy a cheap (or not) dehydrator and make your own jerky. It's so easy and soooo good.

Another idea is a bit obscure: make sujuk, a weird kind of half-dried sausage, somewhere between "normal" cured charcuterie and jerky. I haven't tried making it yet but will soon. It's dense, compact, moist enough, and is really satisfying to slice with a knife.

You can do wacky dried fruits too on the cheap. My daughter and I are real fond of kiwi chips, which I've never seen for sale.

When I just started backpacking I figured along with all the other sacrifices one makes to be in the glorious outdoors, awesome food can be one. I'm consistently wrong. I take the most comforting lightweight food possible with me, and also copious tea with my stainless steel double wall bottle.

Inspiring resource: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Chard posted:

Well Imma put my food and water down there, and if Osprey wants to come tell me otherwise I'll fight 'em.

I use a big BD rock climbing bag for everything. I love it because it's just... like... a big bag thing without anything fancy.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

bongwizzard posted:

What finally killed my enthusiasm for small alcohol stove was in fact, breezy and rainy conditions. I tried dozens of different combinations of stoves,pot supports, and wind screens, nothing I worked was ever as efficient and dependable as a little pocket rocket stove. Other issue was that the ones that work the best tend to require a much wider pot than I would ever carry for the solo trips I usually go on.

I was very happy cooking in windy -10°C (don't laugh, Canadians) using Trangia stove + hacked Evernew stand + this:

https://toaksoutdoor.com/products/wsc

I cut some complementary slots on both ends with a Dremel wheel to make it go nearly snug on my favorite pot.

Previously, I was always field expedient about it: rocks, snow, sand, etc. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a good enough seal and reasonable cooking time.

Cold doesn't affect efficiency (the alcohol's boiling point constrains operating temperature), only starting difficulty (keep the lighter + filled stove in your pocket). Because the stove system is so light, it's very practical until there are a lot of people or a lot of nights.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

seems like a good opportunity to bring up http://www.geartrade.com/

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

why does this discussion is make me want to put on my five year old still fresh relaxed fit jeans and go climb something

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Never travel by any means to a trailhead on roads, because someone could crash a motor vehicle into you and kill you. It happens more often than you might think.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Guys guys, enough. Let's move on. Here, I'll help, something new: trekking poles are for wussies.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

ASSTASTIC posted:

Also, gently caress the haters, I always use hiking poles. I don't care if I look like a loving grandpa at 35 while using them, I'm saving my knees and ankles because I'm getting another stability point.

wha? I thought they made you look smart and young. I hate them because of that.

Sorry for calling you a wussy btw, Picnic. I was just trying to start a discussion, I thought I was screwing up but not in that way.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Quick chime in: I own Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite and love it. I have camped on snow with it without trouble. I've had it punctured once, and the repair kit weighs nothing and is very easy to use (unless you're dying of altitude sickness, which I was).

I use liners for cleanliness, but I doubt they improve heat measurably. Better off wearing more things.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Mixed feelings about Toaks. It's cheap but the sandblasted finish absorbs yucky things and stinks. I polished mine on a lathe, but it was a lot of effort. No idea if other brands are better.

Tsyni posted:

If you shove some of your gear up your rear end it's technically not pack weight. Good way to shed some ounces.

But how then would I show off my gear and act all holier than thou? Oh, right, gay

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

I'm a huge fan of light, non-stiff boots, and hinged crampons; however you're going to have a hard time finding crampons which will attach to a shoe with a low ankle (if you do, let me know!). This is because the rear strap (if that's how it works) will wrap around your ankle, which will be painful if not enclosed in a shoe.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Morbus posted:

Thanks everyone. What I've been doing is using what meselfs suggested, just using some light b0/b1 boots with hinged strap on crampons.

Hey. That was my idea, don't credit yourselfs.

I kid, glad I could help!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of snow, what do you all wear pants wise for winter backpacking?

Some classy dressy Nordstrom brand wool pants from Goodwill that I altered myself underneath rain pants.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I tried the Brions on recently and found the top half fairly slim, and the bottom half ridiculously baggy.

I'm a short, stocky guy with big honkin bicyclist thighs and it's really hard for me to find good pants. These are from heaven though, they fit and don't look like poo poo! (I think?)

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Morbus posted:

All of my girlfriend's merino baselayers are second-hand, and so are mine since I saw the light. Second-hand is really the way to go with merino baselayers--you can find stuff in great condition super cheap cause nobody wants to "marinate in a stranger's pit sweat" so the resale value isn't great. I am happy to report that I've had no issues with stranger's pit sweat so far, though. And, frankly, even the swamp-assiest pair of merino boxers probably smells better than a brand new polyester t-shirt after 4 seconds of exercise.

Congratulations on not paying 100 bucks for a t-shirt!

This! I get my wool from eBay. Too much work finding it from secondhand stores, but eBay is cheap enough that I just buy a few of whatever's interesting and keep what works :D

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

khysanth posted:

Definitely continue to bring a lighter with you for if/when this eventually fails.

Love my Snow Peak and the other 6 stoves I own. Always bring a lighter.

A few months ago we were camping at timberline on a Volcano on snow. My piezo stopped working. My peanut lighter mysteriously wouldn't light no matter how much I warmed it. Luckily, girlfriend had a Bic.

E: To be really sure, bring a Mk 4 VW steering wheel (magnesium!!!) and some flint.

meselfs fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 7, 2018

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Changes in air pressure change the electrical properties of air. This frequently causes piezoelectric lighters to fail at high elevation.

It sparked a few times up there before stopping, then it didn't loving work at home either. I took it apart and actuated it, zapped me just fine, but in its shiny housing it wouldn't budge. Gah. Proud owner of many Bic Minis now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Killingyouguy! posted:

This seems like the best thread to ask - I have a stainless steel water bottle, that's a few years old.

I recently busted it out of storage and the gold-coloured ring around the opening smells very strongly of varnish. Tried washing it out with vinegar but no luck.

Am I right to assume this bottle is no good to use now?

Put a teaspoon of sodium percarbonate (example: 365 Oxygen Whitening Powder), put that in a sink, boil some water, slowly pour boiling water in, stand back. Pour some more after the fizzing stops. Rinse thoroughly after a half hour. I do this monthly to my mugs, to remove tea/coffee deposits.