Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

If I really really wanted it to be waterproof, at the cost of some convenience, I'd consider using a foodsaver to bag and seal iburpofen and so on. 3 mil food bags are pretty sturdy, just not resealable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CopperHound posted:

Still is kind of bulky, but I use one or two comparments popped out of this thing for travel pills.
https://www.amazon.com/Dose-Weekly-Pop-Out-Planner-Small/dp/B001THDDFC

I think you are over thinking this. Why not just use some dime bags for your drugs?

Oh, absolutely, no question about it I'm way overthinking it. I just get annoyed every few years I unpack and poke through my first aid kit and the pills have gotten crushed, or the ziplock baggie is worn out with holes, or the alcohol wipes have long dried out. It's not something I touch very often, I think I've only ever used the tick key, ibuprofen for a headache, and tweezers/nail clippers. Maybe some liquid bandage for something small. I just wanted to reduce the footprint of everything and thought that a blister pack for the pills would be great, and I just wanted the minimal thing I could get away with for a rolled ankle (which happened to another guy in my group when he slipped on a mossy rock).

Coming up here shortly I'll be out in Arizona for a week, so I'm just trying to get everything reevaluated for that.

n8r posted:

Carrying benadryl / ibuprofen / imodium / opioid painkillers (if you have 'em) is a pretty good loadout for first aid. If you've got really problematic ankles, I guess I could see the merits of carrying an ace bandage. Seems excessive for most people in most cases. I think a prescription pill bottle with a bunch of duct tape wrapped around it is a pretty good multi use thing that doesn't take up room, and won't get crushed like ziplocs could.

Ahhhhh, that's a really good idea to wrap the tape around the pill bottle... I was trying to figure out the best way to carry it off the rol, thanks! Yeah, I think the ace bandage might be excessive, that's why I was thinking I could just get away with the leukotape by itself, so it's just a catch-all kinda thing. It's never been something I've carried or needed, but that just means I'll inevitably need it next time, now that it's on my radar.

the yeti posted:

If I really really wanted it to be waterproof, at the cost of some convenience, I'd consider using a foodsaver to bag and seal iburpofen and so on. 3 mil food bags are pretty sturdy, just not resealable.

That's loving genius, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for--something more durable than zip lock bags, it's waterproof, and all my stuff won't go to poo poo because the packaging gets torn, worn out, and dries up. Thanks!

E: that's again loving perfect for a few spare wysi wipes too... Thanks!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 20, 2018

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The best first aid for a sprained ankle is limping.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I carry a voodoo floss band and a cheap, drug store ankle brace. I'm also 40 and have had ankle and knee issues. 5.2 ounces for the floss and 2.5 for the brace.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I carry some acid reflux meds because if I get reflux it completely ruins my day.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Chard posted:

Was that not a joke post?

That was 100% a joke post, but goons gonna goon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Loucks posted:

That was 100% a joke post, but goons gonna goon.

I think you forgot about the Hawaii retreat goon project and just how spectacularly dumb some goons can get in the wild.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Real talk, I honestly bring two neoprene knee braces, a tensor bandage, and excess ibuprofen and tylenol 3s on my trips, but I have hypermobility so I'm guaranteed to be in pain all the time. If I'm having a particularly bad time I also need to bring my wrist braces with me too, but that's only if they were already hosed up before I left. I have to tuck my backpack under my knees or bring a spare pillow to sleep on the ground so they don't end up bending backwards all night.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Chard posted:

Was that not a joke post?

Yes, Loucks is correct. I was just agreeing with the earlier reply that he's overthinking a bit, and while all of my advice was backed by at least some scientific evidence and somewhat useful, I do not expect anyone (including myself) to trust their identification skills especially while injured in the woods

Sorry if that wasn't obvious, and remember: Laughter is the best medicine and does not add to pack weight

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

extra stout posted:

Yes, Loucks is correct. I was just agreeing with the earlier reply that he's overthinking a bit, and while all of my advice was backed by at least some scientific evidence and somewhat useful, I do not expect anyone (including myself) to trust their identification skills especially while injured in the woods

Sorry if that wasn't obvious, and remember: Laughter is the best medicine and does not add to pack weight

Went right over my head. Sorry my man. I thought you were genuinely giving out poo poo advice which can be common in the hardcore internet bushcraft realm where everyone thinks they're a hardcore survivalist because they watched every episode of Dual Survival and own a mora knife. I

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

FCKGW posted:

I think you forgot about the Hawaii retreat goon project and just how spectacularly dumb some goons can get in the wild.

I think I missed that, but presumably it was either hilariously or tragically catastrophic depending upon whether anyone got hurt.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Perhaps this is the thread to ask in. You know those ultralight backpacking chairs. They downside to them is they don't come with cupholders right? Well has anyone tried to put one of these gravity chair trays https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796TNBWF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A91XMUZSIOQJH&psc=1 onto one of those ultralight chairs?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you absolutely have to have cupholders, they exist. https://www.rei.com/product/129651/alite-stonefly-chair

But the framing on them usually isn't conducive to hanging one of those off it. ultralite chairs are less chairs more.... hammocks you sit upright in.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Loucks posted:

I think I missed that, but presumably it was either hilariously or tragically catastrophic depending upon whether anyone got hurt.

Goons flew to Hawaii to build a yoga studio in an inhospitable jungle. They got all their tools stolen while trying to kill a wild boar.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3151205

It’s gets eclipsed by the killer zipline but it’s my favorite thread on the forums.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I'm trying to figure out what boots these are. Does anyone recognize the brand?

Note the diamond shaped logo looking thing on the side. Ring any bells?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

I'm trying to figure out what boots these are. Does anyone recognize the brand?

Note the diamond shaped logo looking thing on the side. Ring any bells?

They look like duty/military/tactical boots due to the nylon up along the high ankle area. What throws me off is the eyelet hardware which isn't standard for a lot of bots along those lines. It looks reminiscent of Danner traditional hiking boots but the logo throws me off. The only black diamond logo I know of like that is from Condor tactical but they dont really specialize in footwear. Some context might help though, where is this photo from and are you looking for these boots for a specific reason?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
They're from the movie Annihilation. I'm just trying to figure out the bits and pieces of the costumes. The pants and jackets and stuff were made by a Polish company, so there's a chance these two are a lesser known European brand. I also thought they must be some variety of military boot give the materials and color, but the shape and the speed laces seemed more like a hiking boot so I figured I'd ask here.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I did a thing. I upgraded from my old MSR pocketrocket to a SnowPeak GigaPower 2.0.

I didn't even *want* to upgrade, but after my last fuckup where I forgot my tinder and firerod at home, and only had a dead and barely-sparking knockoff bic lighter with which to spark off my canister stove, and then later have to use said canister stove to get a campfire started, it could have gone _so much worse_.

So yeah. Time to get a canister stove that has a piezo lighter built-in.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm not sure I would solve the problem of "bring fire" by upgrading my stove, but congrats on your new acquisition!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Chard posted:

I'm not sure I would solve the problem of "bring fire" by upgrading my stove, but congrats on your new acquisition!

Don't listen to this person. The answer is always BUY MORE GEAR!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have 2 stoves so don't listen to me about not buying gear. To be fair, one is a liquid fuel stove and the other is a canister stove so they are different and serve different purposes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Chard posted:

The Snow Peak has a piezo igiter built-in, my old-rear end pocketrocket does not.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The Snow Peak has a piezo igiter built-in, my old-rear end pocketrocket does not.

I get that, and it's cool. I just can't imagine stepping out without multiple redundant sources of fire for me/the group. I usually have two cheap Bic lighters and some hurricane matches in with emergency kit.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Definitely continue to bring a lighter with you for if/when this eventually fails.

Love my Snow Peak and the other 6 stoves I own. Always bring a lighter.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Just lol if you dont use diborane fuel for the ultimate in ignition reliability.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I switched out the msr for snowpeak because it's a lot shorter for better stability, 4 pronged, wider, had an optional windshield, and wasn't trying to literally burn a hole in the center of my pot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

khysanth posted:

Definitely continue to bring a lighter with you for if/when this eventually fails.

Love my Snow Peak and the other 6 stoves I own. Always bring a lighter.

That's what I'm saying. I'm bringing along one extra ignition source without having to remember to bring along an extra ignition source. It'll just always be there, instead. I just feel terrible indulging peace of mind when I really didn't need to upgrade anything, I just need to be less-stupid. =X

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 6, 2018

Morbus
May 18, 2004

One time I lost my lighter, so from then on I always brought two. Then one time I lost two lighters, so now I always bring three. So far, this has been sufficient...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tigren posted:

Don't listen to this person. The answer is always BUY MORE GEAR!

20% off at REI and 23$ in dividends, and I can't think of a single thing I want to buy from there other than maybe food or fuel canisters :ohdear:

Morbus posted:

One time I lost my lighter, so from then on I always brought two. Then one time I lost two lighters, so now I always bring three. So far, this has been sufficient...

I always try and bring one, but the last few times I've forgot for one reason or another with last second packing, and it's just honestly not an issue since it's extremely reliable everyone else in the group has one. Worst case I have a cold rehydrated dinner :shrug:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Morbus posted:

Put your backup in your first aid kit you dingus.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

There is a 100% chance that if I put a lighter in my first aid kit I will just lose my first aid kit

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Morbus posted:

There is a 100% chance that if I put a lighter in my first aid kit I will just lose my first aid kit
Keep a third in your pants :heysexy:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

20% off at REI and 23$ in dividends, and I can't think of a single thing I want to buy from there other than maybe food or fuel canisters :ohdear:

Get a pair of Darn Tough socks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's great to bring lighters but you should also know how to make a fire without one. It's fun to learn! I don't like lighters and never use them, I generally bring good camping matches, plus a flint & steel or other fire-striker type deal, plus some steel wool for scrubbing pans that I can combo with a battery from something if I need to, plus I can and have used friction methods to make a fire back when I was a boy scout.

My main problem with lighters is probably a bit irrational: seeing them as discarded garbage loving everywhere. I'm sure all of you guys are conscientious about policing your camp and picking up your trash, but still, disposable plastic poo poo like that sucks so I avoid it when I can.

My flint & steel is on a chain I can wear around my neck. I like to have layers of preparedness on and about my person: my knife, compass, and my last-ditch fire making tool stay on me, so even if my dumbass wandered away from my pack or tent or something just for a quick walk or to check out a view and fell down a ravine or whatever, I'd have them on me. Maybe that's absurd over-prep, but... well, you read survival stories and failure-to-survive stories enough, and one of the common threads along with "had no business being there" and "made lots of bad decisions" you also see "lost their gear" as a frequent complication.

I tend to bring way too much gear, though, so keep that in mind. I haven't done much longer-distance trekking and if I did, I might decide to ditch the flint & steel, or maybe the steel wool, or maybe even both if I had at least one backup to my matches.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If I were camping in areas where I was actually building ground fires (see: not California), I would definitely bring things more along those lines. Building fires is fun! But it just doesn't make sense in most cases where I only need to light a candle or jazz cigarette or stove , whether alcohol or white gas, and I'm lazy enough that the few extra grams don't make it worth messing about with flint.

People who litter are terrible and I usually end up filling my side pockets with trail trash to hike out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

It's great to bring lighters but you should also know how to make a fire without one. It's fun to learn! I don't like lighters and never use them, I generally bring good camping matches, plus a flint & steel or other fire-striker type deal, plus some steel wool for scrubbing pans that I can combo with a battery from something if I need to, plus I can and have used friction methods to make a fire back when I was a boy scout.

My main problem with lighters is probably a bit irrational: seeing them as discarded garbage loving everywhere. I'm sure all of you guys are conscientious about policing your camp and picking up your trash, but still, disposable plastic poo poo like that sucks so I avoid it when I can.

My flint & steel is on a chain I can wear around my neck. I like to have layers of preparedness on and about my person: my knife, compass, and my last-ditch fire making tool stay on me, so even if my dumbass wandered away from my pack or tent or something just for a quick walk or to check out a view and fell down a ravine or whatever, I'd have them on me. Maybe that's absurd over-prep, but... well, you read survival stories and failure-to-survive stories enough, and one of the common threads along with "had no business being there" and "made lots of bad decisions" you also see "lost their gear" as a frequent complication.

I tend to bring way too much gear, though, so keep that in mind. I haven't done much longer-distance trekking and if I did, I might decide to ditch the flint & steel, or maybe the steel wool, or maybe even both if I had at least one backup to my matches.

Zippos man. Zippos.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Zippos man. Zippos.
Can I pour some white gas in those after all the fuel evaporates away while sitting unused?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CopperHound posted:

Can I pour some white gas in those after all the fuel evaporates away while sitting unused?

Google search says yes? Don't have any to gently caress around with myself right now, but this guy wrote a blog about it. You probably won't burn yourself.

fake edit: Butane torch lighters exist too. There are plenty of options that tick the "lighter," "sustainable," and "LNT" boxes.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 7, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CopperHound posted:

White gas plus some stuff to make it not reek when some of it gets on your clothes is what zippo fluid is.

But that doesn't change the fact that zippos aren't airtight and don't work well as sources of fire under long-term storage. I've seen some places advise wrapping the seam in duct tape to keep the fumes from offgassing and make them last longer in storage, but that seems like a recipe for duct tape gunk on the outside of a zippo.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, zippos honestly kinda suck outside the satisfying clink when you close them.

Most cheapo bic lighters actually have a nozzle to refill them with butane canister, and you can buy replacement sparkers I think. Hard to get more reliable than that, or lighter

FogHelmut posted:

Get a pair of Darn Tough socks.

That's actually exactly what I'm thinking... I'm slowly working on changing out all my socks with Darn Toughs, I'm just waiting on no shows to go around 8ish bucks a pair on sale somewhere and then get a dozen or so. I wish I had gotten more last time I did that on backcountry.com