Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Breath Ray posted:

what are some good folding camping chairs that have some kind of back to them and fold down nice and small? drinkholder optional. couldnt see this addressed on first or last page...

Helinox has a variety. https://helinox.com/collections/all-chairs

I have two of the Chair Ones and they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

REI and other sporting goods/camping stores generally stock them. Might check around local.

Edit or the euro equivalent of REI, etc.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

This is the kind of setup Ive been considering. I think this is the first review Ive seen where the reviewed had actually used the tent a fair amount though. Tents like these range in price from $100-$300 and all seem to have a pretty similar feature set. What Im thinking of doing is picking up a cheap teepee tent like this and a decent quality steel wood stove. From what Ive read so far it really does seem like a quality stove is crucial to safely and comfortably hot tenting. The tent itself is less important(within reason of course). Id prefer something like this to a slide in camper since my 4x4 doesnt have the capacity for a slide in camper like my truck does, so having something that I can break down and stick in the back would be really useful.

Even with a hot tent you're going to want a better sleeping pad as noted above. Flatland and I got the Thermarest Mondokings https://www.thermarest.com/sleeping-pads/camp-and-comfort/mondoking-3d-sleeping-pad/mondoking-3d.htmlfor WY which were a huge upgrade over even a normal insulated backpacking pad. They're heavy and bulky even rolled up, but that's the price you pay for the comfort and warmth they provide. The Exped Megamat is another one to look at if they ever come back in stock. Sleeping in the truck bed on one of those, cot or not, would be super comfy in any weather.

As I'm sure you probably saw in the hunting threads we were in a MSR tent for 5 nights in WY with temps between mid 30s and the teens. We had 20 degree bags, Sea to Summit Reactor bag liners, the Mondokings and a Mr Heater (Big Buddy I think) and we slept pretty warm. It was downright balmy if we cranked the heat and only mildly uncomfortable on occasion. We've talked about a Kifaru or Seek Outside teepee with a stove, and might get there one day, but this combo worked pretty well for truck camping.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

These have become my favorite cold weather gloves. Pay no mind to the tactical name. https://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Full-Dexterity-Tactical-FDT-Cold-Weather-Glo-p/pig.771.htm

Though honestly if you're active and temps are above 25 or so you might even want an uninsulated version like these: https://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Skydiving-Glove-p/pig.765.htm

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I have a Sawyer for places where water is abundant and a MSR Trailshot for places where I might have to filter from very shallow water sources like in southern Arizona.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Math You posted:

Yeah if your only plan for something going wrong is a beacon you're doing it very, very wrong. In most places extraction costs are on the individual. Pushing that button is a $10,000 - $30,000 exercise, and while I fully support having one, they aren't for day hikes from a trailhead.

Depends on the situation and PLB vs satellite device. I've hit my inReach SOS button once. I was hunting in NE Wyoming with my cousin and we were an hour+ drive on two track BLM roads from the county road which was another hour+ from the nearest hospital. He stuck a knife through his hand and I was able to use the inReach to coordinate an ambulance meeting us at the trailhead/county road. I never saw a bill for anything related to it and I think all his insurance saw was the ambulance transport cost. They're very useful for keeping in touch in places with little or no cell phone coverage and compared to a PLB the most useful part is being able to communicate what sort of response you need. There's a big difference between needing an ambulance to meet you at a trailhead and getting SAR to spin up a helo and drop rescuers on your PLB position and airlift you out.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Poles definitely help reduce a bit of the impact and weight with a heavy pack on too, whether you're climbing a mountain or not. I use them frequently when hunting since I am often carrying a heavy pack and it helps on downhills and spares my knees a bit. Also good for uneven terrain to help keep balance.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Heyo, I went back too far and didn't keep reading far enough. Seems like a good enough idea to have it around, especially since it's free.

Important note: a PLB (distress beacon that only calls in the cavalry) doesn't require costs to maintain outside of eventually getting the battery replaced, an inReach or similar device (two-way satellite messaging and SOS service) does require a monthly fee for service.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeah as discussed in prior posts there are a number of reasons you may need to call for "help" in the backcountry that don't necessarily involve spinning up a SAR helo, which is what's likely going to happen if you activate a PLB.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeti, Orca, RTIC, Jackson Kayak/Orion, Cascade, Pelican lots of options on good coolers out there.

I have personal experience with Yeti, Orca and Pelican from the higher end brands - all good options. The Orca I got with some coupon stacking at Bed Bath & Beyond in addition to it being a return/damaged item (there was a scratch on the front that I covered with a sticker). If you're trying to save a few bucks definitely see if you can scope out something like that.

I recently picked up this Ozark Trail 35QT for my fishing kayak and it's great. It doesn't weigh a whole lot, will keep ice for a few days if I need it to and I like the tall dry divider for keeping a sandwich or other snacks/lunch in. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-35QT-Hard-Sided-Cooler-Dark-Blue/596605983

The one area where I would probably go with Yeti or another high end brand is with soft coolers. I've had a couple from Walmart/Ozark, Built New York (I dunno, was on vacation and needed a soft cooler and this is what Sierra Trading had in-store), etc and they've all eventually leaked or don't seem to hold ice as long as I've seen Yeti soft coolers do it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

I just noticed the discount to the REI tents is only for buying 2.
It's for any 2 tents, footprints, mud rooms or porches - if you buy a tent and the footprint you still get the discount. It's worded a little funny but I couldn't imagine that REI expected people to buy 2 tents or 2 footprints. Added the Kingdom 6 tent and footprint to my cart and it works out to be ~$25 less than the tent alone.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

armorer posted:

I'd probably pack merino wool long underwear and a pair of synthetic pants that was at least dwr treated.

This is my defacto outdoor bottom garments in temps below like 40 F and it hasn't steered me wrong yet whether hiking or hunting from PA to IL, the Rockies or Southern AZ desert.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

While some might not consider it cheap, the Benchmade Bugout and Mini Bugout is a fantastic small lightweight pocket knife option that won't make you look like Rambo.

Benchmade 533 Mini Bugout by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Benchmade 533 Mini Bugout by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a stout and sturdy hiking boot that fits 14 wide feet? Keens always fit me well, but the soles wear out far too quick.

Stout and sturdy makes me thing of something like Kenetrek, Scarpa or Crispi. Lathrop & Sons https://lathropandsons.com/ also makes custom fit boots which might be a good choice for big/odd sizes.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ordered an Enlightened Equipment Revelation to give the quilt thing a serious try. Going hunting/camping in Nebraska in mid Nov but might give it a try out in IL before then. Hoping to have one solution to do it all with the exception of super hot or super cold temps.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Snowshoeing might be fun let's look at these Evo Ascents.

:saddowns:

quote:

Recommended load up to 180 lbs. including hiker plus gear

I'd have to lose 100 pounds and snow shoe bare rear end naked with no other gear apparently.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Outdoor gear-related complaint: Why/when did brands stop putting elastic or velcro closures on the vast majority of jackets? Drives me fuckin crazy and I'm about to return a $250 jacket because of it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

After years of wearing dress shoes for work, during COVID and WFH I was barefoot like 90% of the time so my toes spread out and I switched to Altras for everyday wear which now fit me great.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

Goons, help me out, please.

Last August I bought a Kingdom 4 tent, footprint, and mud room from REI when they were on sale.

I just used the tent this weekend, and it was insanely windy. One of the tent poles is seriously bent, and the rest have at least slight bends. A few tent stakes also got bent because I suck at sinking stakes, apparently. Would it be possible for me to return the tent and accessories, or at least get store credit? If I'm able to either get a return or store credit, I'd like to get a new tent that isn't so obnoxiously tall.

Echoing taqueso, REI will absolutely take it back unless you bought it used or aren't a member. https://www.rei.com/help/returns#return-policy-exceptions

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

gently caress me, knives get super expensive! I'm trying to find something that will be easy to carry around and the top suggestions from friends are all super pricy Benchmade knives. I'm going to order a cheaper spiderco and I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Any insight on how to rationalize a $350 knife? Woof

like alinlam mentioned, check out the Griptilian line from Benchmade, or the Bugout line, both are way, way under $350. If you're looking for a folding knife that is cheaper than Benchmade but still well made, take a look at Civivi, Kershaw, Spyderco has some more affordable models, the SOG Terminus and new Flash models are good for the money, there's a lot out there.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

RodShaft posted:

Saw this at Ollie's today. I don't know if it's any better than the cheap ones on Amazon.

That looks identical to the hammock and stand I got for $70 off Amazon.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I've had a ton of different brands and models of sunglasses from gas station quality up to a current pair of glass lens Costas. I have a couple of pairs of Tifosis for cycling that are great, highly recommended for environments where it's likely you'll do some damage to them. My current everyday wear/driving is a pair of Smith Lowdown 2s with chromapop polarized lenses that are great but the Costas I have for fishing are noticeably clearer and crisper with a more protected view but at the trade off of being on the heavy side due to the glass. I have a couple of pairs of old Native Wells that I keep around for mowing the grass and hunting and stuff where I won't be sad if I break them, great mid-range option too. I'd like to try a different pair of Smiths with better side coverage than the lowdowns to see if maybe they get a little closer to the Costas.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

The ritual demands you boop a bison and survive a sprint with a grizzly.

Oregon Trail Ninja Warrior

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

post hole digger posted:

garmin inreach mapshare & tracking.... big time hunk of poo poo. maybe the most frustrating piece of technology ive ever worked with, and i have to read and write yaml files daily.

What are your issues? I've been using the og Delorme inreach se for years and actually just bought the mini 2 today to upgrade.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

drat, that's quite an oversight. I do not know my exact thought process two years ago. maybe I assumed texting was essential for rescue at the time. I suppose I could sell my In Reach (if the first version is worth much) and buy a PLB. Something I'll consider

It really depends on use case. An inreach or other satellite messenger is useful for communicating exactly what the situation is and what sort of response you need. Pop a PLB and you're getting SAR/USCG spinning up a helo and all sorts of potential first responders coming most likely (and maybe a giant bill). I would definitely keep a PLB on a boat if I was going offshore but for backpacking/hiking/etc. I personally think the inreach is a better device as you can use it for situations that are less serious than "I am going to die if I don't activate this."

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

They're a little more expensive but I got an Enlightened Equipment Revelation and it's been, well, a revelation. I've also got very wide shoulders and am 5'10" and the long/wide EE quilt is perfect, a little extra length helps keep it from being too short to really pull it up around your neck and shoulders if it's cold while not being constricting in the footbox. The dimensions on it are 84"x58" which is right about the same for the long Paria. I wasn't entirely sure if I would like the quilt vs. a bag but it's been great for me.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

Also, who makes good merino wool sweaters that don’t look overly hiking-y?

Dunno what overly hiking-y looks like but maybe this? https://www.firstlite.com/products/...-baselayer-tops

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

If you like zero drop shoes for your flat/wide feet then the Altra Lone Peak mids might be a great choice.

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/mens-shoes-outdoor-adventure/mens-lone-peak-all-wthr-mid-al0a4vqh?variationId=000

Otherwise, Salomon, Merrell and Lowa have good wide options in a variety of subdued colors.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/x-ultra-4-mid-wide-gore-tex-lg3743.html#color=49318

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-3-mid-waterproof/52470M.html?dwvar_52470M_color=J036549

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/everyday/malta-gtx-mid-olive

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ain't cheap, thought REI does carry them but I really like my NRS Chinook OS that I use paddling (mostly kayak fishing).

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

RodShaft posted:

I just got a 3D printer, is there any camping/hiking/kayaking prints i should try out?

I printed a bunch of emergency whistles and stuck them in all my packs, PFDs, etc.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2933021

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yooper posted:

My Wawona 6 literally arrived yesterday from REI... for $500. :saddowns:

Good thing REI has a great return policy.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I would need to get lasik to really take advantage :[

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Oh no I'm almost 38 :ohdear:

I've definitely noticed my night vision isn't what it used to be.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I fly to hunt usually once a year and I take my Exo Mountain Gear pack as a carry on (compressed down pretty far with just expensive optics and electronics in it usually) with Southwest. I probably wouldn't risk it with another airline as it's a little bit over the max carry on size but since a ton of people check bags there's always space in the overheads. If I were checking my pack I'd throw it into one of these oversized duffels I have https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-ripcord-duffle-bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also if anyone is interested in an REI Kingdom 4 cheap let me know…

Maybe? Shoot me a PM.