Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
If you shove some of your gear up your rear end it's technically not pack weight. Good way to shed some ounces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

bonds0097 posted:

I always wear my prana stretch zions regardless of weather. They keep cool just fine and I can see ticks on them really easily.

Yeah, this is my thought as well.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just use chlorine tablets if it's running water. Put it in your reservoir and hike for a bit and it's ready to go. Easy peasy.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My tablets take 30 mins for a litre, pretty sure. An hour max. I carry a bladder and a bottle and just have some clean water at all times.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

peach moonshine posted:

Think I hosed up and bought a pack too small. Didn't do enough research and the employee at the camping store that 55L would be enough for a 5lb tent and sleeping bag plus three days of clothing, food etc. Can't take it back because it was on clearance.

Pictured is the tent and sleeping bag + the pack. Is there any way to make this work

I use a 55l for up to week long trips, just so you don't lose hope.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I have convertable Prana Zion pants that are great for hiking but are getting kind of baggier and blown out. That's after 3-4 years of very regular use. I bought a pair of Brion pants and I love them. Everyone compliments my bum while hiking. They fit well over my hiking boots. I basically wear them every day that I'm not working. They are quite thin, but I'll wear long underwear if it's cold out underneath. I'm going to buy a couple more pairs.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I recently bought two down sleeping bags from MEC (kind of like a not-as-good Canadian REI). They are men's and women's, but effectively the same fill and so on, and I noticed after the first night sleeping in one of them I'd sweated a bit and there was a really odd odour coming from the bag. It's vaguely noticeable from the other bag. Is this normal at all? I'm out of the country for a bit so I'm stuck with this kind of rank bag. These weren't cheap ones or anything, but I don't remember a weird smell from other people's down bags when I've slept in tents with them (this is my first down bag). Is it worth washing it or something, or should I just try to return it when I get back?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Loucks posted:

Are they duck down or goose down? I’m told duck down can smell funny when it’s wet.

Interesting. It is duck down.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've tried for awhile to find a pair that's a good blend of lightweight, quality, and price, but it's a struggle. Specifically I'd love a good pair to use for night sky viewing while I'm out in the backcountry. However, I'm not so invested that I'm willing to spend the hundred+ bucks to get a pair that'd hit the marks I'm looking for, so I've just been bringing the cheapie pair I got from work for a 5 year anniversary present. It just seems like optics are such a rabbithole that I got discouraged and gave up on the whole idea, just cause I'm not sure how much I'd actually bring and use them.

Unrelated question, but can anyone recommend me an affordable Merino Wool tee shirt? I've got a weeklong backpacking trip coming up here in a few months, and I'd like to get something that'll handle odor better on my torso. Everything I'm seeing is like sixty bucks for a tee shirt, which to me is insane.

Get a time machine and go to Costco that used to sell great wool t-shirts for cheap. I bought 5 of their long sleeved ones recently, $20 CAD a pop. I did an experiment where I wore one for two weeks straight. No smell. Wool is life.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

CopperHound posted:

Make sure to read the tag. A while back I picked up a 'Merino Blend' base layer from Costco thinking it meant wool with a bit of poly for durability. Nope. 11% wool.

E: also, since it is sized for Costco demographic the small size fit more like a relaxed fit medium.

Yeah, that's true, haha, the Merino blends are often low like that, but even in the 40-50% range merino wool + poly can be nice.

These long sleeved shirts are 100% though. They are nice a light, basically the perfect base layer. Cloudveil is the brand name.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dukket posted:

Are there snowshoe manufactures to stay away from? OR conversely, is there a short list of "only buy" They'll be used in the Great Lakes states, so flat to hilly. Probably just days hikes. If the various sizing charts are correct then I need 30's

I've used some Redfeather and...Tubbs, I think. Both rented

EDIT: I didn't care for the Tubbs as much, but I think there were some issues with the bindings so I'm not sure I got a good feel for them.

If you want nice bindings, lots of Atlas shoes have really great ones that I swear by. They are some kind of fabric binding that you just pull tight after sliding your feet into. They spread the pressure out and feel really comfortable. Other manufacturers might make that kind of binding as well, but in terms of comfort that's what I would look for.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any resources they'd recommend for preparing for the CDT?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for suspenders for hiking?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490050

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I really like my Rei flash. It's comfortable and warm, but one of the ribs let go recently and the thing on the inside that stops the air from flowing out the air in valve came loose the first time I used it. I'm in Canada or I would probably have returned it right away.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sockser posted:

Going out for my first weekend trip of the year today, woo. Little lollipop trail, only like 15 miles total between fri-sat-sun

Last year I realized I had replaced enough bulky gear that my huge Deuter Aircontact 65+10 wasn’t really doing its job just due to all the empty space in the pack, so I snagged an Aircontact 45+10 while they were on sale, which saves me nearly a pound in pack weight plus lots of newer features they’ve crammed in in the 6 years between the two

Get all my gear loaded up, pack up my food, get some extra socks and boxers in there

Feeling real good, stripping lots of stuff out of my kit, including my water filter which I forgot to loving clean out back in September

And then I weigh my bag and it’s still coming in at 45lbs.

But it’s too late to make any adjustments so I’m just gonna deal with it for the small amount of hiking I’ll be doing this weekend and then lay everything out and drop a photo in this thread and ask you fine goons what I’m doing wrong

It’s probably the food. I’m still sorta working out what an appropriate amount of food to bring is, even though I know I always come home with loads of extra that just goes in the trash

45lbs including food/water? How much water you have?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I'm heading out on my first backpacking trip in a month or so. I've done camping and hiking (sometimes with a pack) a lot so I'm not too nervous. It'll only be for two nights. However, I have a set of hiking poles from a friend - should I bother taking them? What do hiking poles actually... Do?

Hiking poles reduce the load on your knees going down-hill a bit and if there is a lot of steep downhill and you have any knee issues then they can be very nice. You can also use poles on flat terrain to propel yourself forward slightly, spreading some of the work of hiking to your arms. To do this you need to plant the poles kind of directly to your side/slightly behind your foot and push yourself forward.

What I find poles most useful for is muddy/wet/slippery terrain, like lots of coastal hikes in the PNW, but other places too obviously. Being able to just quickly dance through a mud bog can save a ton of time. Just going downhill in general with poles I find to be a lot faster because you're less worried about slipping with those extra points of contact.

That being said, depending on your poles they can be less useful on hikes that are mostly just bare rock.

It's always an option to just bring one to try, and many backpacks have easy ways to secure them to your bag when you're not using them.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

They go on sale pretty often. I’m a fan of their Brion pant because it doesn’t have any zippers or extra pockets. Only problem is the colors are never what they look like online. I have a pair that are mustard yellow. Makes sense that they were on clearance.

I have 4 pairs of Brions. I wear them all day every day. Comfy, dry fast af, and seem pretty durable. The pair I have had the longest still holds up. Plus people say my bum looks nice in them.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

My prana shorts came. The rumors were true, they are comfy as hell

Rotten Cookies posted:

Holy poo poo I ordered 2 pairs of prana shorts from the REI sale based on recs in here and god drat they are super loving comfortable.

withak posted:

Literally wearing mine right now.

Which model of shorts did you guys get? I didn't realize there were over a dozen types. I am tempted to grab brion shorts because I like the pants, but the hybridizer looks nice.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Gotcha, thanks. I originally started my Prana journey with Zion convertible pants. The pockets and belt were definitely handy. I found that after keeping my pockets full on many hikes that they got kinda saggy, but they are definitely very functional. Anyway, I'll probably try out the brion shorts to start.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

what are some good folding camping chairs that have some kind of back to them and fold down nice and small? drinkholder optional. couldnt see this addressed on first or last page...

https://www.bigagnes.com/Skyline-UL-Chair

I have this one that I like. 765g is hard to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Casu Marzu posted:

----

I currently have a hefty discount for Osprey through work, so I'm looking to pick up a new backpacking bag. This year, I'm only planning a couple 1-2 night hikes, but want to do Painted Rocks on Lake Superior next year, and that's 5-6 nights. The Aether AG looks like a good fit for me, but any suggestions for 60L vs 70L vs 80L? Also, anyone have hands on time with a Farpoint 75L? I don't think I've seen that pack before, and the style looks more like a travel pack rather than a backpacking pack.

Edit: would a 50-55L pack be too small?

Farpoint was my first Osprey backpack. I wouldn't recommend it for backpacking. Other models just have more QoL features for specifically backpacking. It's decent for traveling though, and the newer model looks like it has more crossover.

I use a 50l pack that I've been happy with for a week on the trail. Like the previous poster said it depends on the size of your gear. You can always secure a particularly big item to the outside of your pack as well.

I have the Atmos AG, and the AG side of things is a delight. Very comfortable. Highly recommended. That being said I'm currently looking at million dollar ultra light backpacks because I have a problem.