Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah Darwin is pretty good, he’s very much of the “these are my options but ultimately use whatever gear works best for you” and he’s very good at explaining the reasoning behind what he uses and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a Cnoc Vecto bladder which pairs with the Sawyer filter and turns it into a gravity feed system.
https://cnocoutdoors.com/

Another option to consider if you already have a Sawyer filter. They also have a BeFree threaded version as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Cascade Mountain carbon fiber trekking poles are on clearance at Costco right now, I think $20 or $25 bucks or so, a steal at that price.

Review here: https://andrewskurka.com/cascade-mountain-tech-quick-lock-trekking-poles-review/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Deluxe pillow. It's an inflatible pillow but it also has a soft quilted fabric on the top so it's a bit of a hybrid between both. It's also freaking huge which is great because I'm a stomach sleeper and usually put an arm under my pillow.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Thrift store. The stuff they sell at camping stores is overpriced and unnecessary for car camping. You can build a complete car camping cook set for like $20 at your local thrift shop, and its cheap status will mean you don't care about dings and dents and whatever.

Seconding a thift store for car camping stuff. I outfitted and entire kitchen for <$20 at Goodwill. Stuff like pans were $3 and bowls and cups were 50 cents or a quarter.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Holy crapola the sawyer squeeze is so much faster than gravity filters.

My only issue with the thing is that the bags are incredibly annoying to fill. If you're filling from a lake/river they never get completely full, so I found. It worked a bit better when filling from a moving canoe.

The Cnoc Vector is the perfect bag to pair the the Sawyer Squeeze.

https://cnocoutdoors.com/

Has a big wide mouth zipper-type opening on the back to scoop up water and the threads match the Sawyer. It's super durable and you can use it as a gravity filter as well if you pair it to another bag or use an in-line adapter to a bladder.

I used it this weekend and it owns.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has some nice Marmot 700-fill Down Jackets for ~$90

https://costcocouple.com/marmot-mens-down-jacket/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I would look at one of the Walmart Ozark Trails tents if you want something cheap that might get beat. They have some in the $30 range that ape some of the big name designs but just use cheaper materials, more seams, smaller rainfly, etc...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-2-Person-4-Season-Tent-with-2-Vestibules-and-full-fly/884400665
$30 gets you a two person, two vestibule tent that copies the MSR designs

If you want a lighter tent, look into this one
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-1-Person-Hiker-Tent-with-large-Door-for-Easy-Entry/49382131

A little smaller but only around 4lbs so if you have to carry this stuff it's pretty nice. This was my first backpacking tent and I used it on a few trips, had no issues with it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, that one-man tent I still have around. I keep it in my car for emergencies and and pull it out when the kids use my 2-man tent for backyard camping stuff.

It drops down to $18 on sale pretty regularly too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just shove my inflatable pillow into the hood to hold it in place and use it that way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone have any experience with the Nemo spoon shaped bags, specifically the Disco? I’m a side sleeper and hate how a traditional bag feels and willing to try one of these out. Main complaints I see are of it being colder due to its larger space.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pumped up for school posted:

I've been renting and borrowing gear for several months now, I'm about to start buying my own. Mostly weekend backpacking trips, solo with dog. I'm not ready for the UL "one cup, a nickel-sized burner, and a spoon I carved from this bark" minimalist approach. I'll carry some extra weight for convenience.

What do you folks recommended for cooking stoves? Been renting a jetboil and it is fine, just no experience with other options other than my classic Coleman (car camping) rig.

I tried hammocks and quilts and not for me. I was kind of disappointed in that, actually. Guess I am a ground sleeper. Which has made finding tents/bags long enough so my feet stay dry a problem. Whoever sizes these things: 6-flat is not "tall" or "long."

I use the Soto Amicus as well and found it to be great. REI has a set that comes with the stove and cookset combo for the same price as if you bought the stove by itself.
https://www.rei.com/product/149091/soto-amicus-stove-cookset-combo

Review: https://sectionhiker.com/soto-amicus-stove-and-cookset-combo-review/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wondering if I should pick this up to replace my Klymit Static-V Insulated. It's a full inch thicker and few ounces lighter, but a couple inches narrower.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had an Aeros knockoff which was fine but was too small and not soft enough for my liking. I switched to the Aeros Premium Deluxe which is wider and has a quilted top I really liked. I just bought a new bag that has a pillow pocket so I switched to the Nemo Fillo pillow which is super comfy but a little heavier and not as packable (it has a foam topper).

My local REI used to have a bunch out on display but they recently remodeled and removed it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just bought this Nemo Equipment Disco 15 Sleeping Bag and it's great. It's "spoon" shaped to provide more room for your legs to move around. I just can't do mummy bags. It doesn't physically work for me. With my old one I had to keep it unzipped all the way in order to move. I sleep with one leg out to the side. My knee almost at a 90 degree angle from my body and I sleep on my stomach a lot. Even in this one I have it zipped down a bit but it covers more of me and if it were really cold I'd probably be able to tolerate it.

I just bought this bag over Christmas as well. Haven't had a chance to use it but I've struggled with mummy bags for a long time. Hoping it's warm enough.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You aren't worried about bugs when using a hammock? I'm always afraid of getting something crawling over me when I sleep.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco carries an inflatable sleeping pad and pillow for $30 now that looks pretty nice. Not insulated but only around 20 ounces. Good option if you want something packable for warm weather camping. The carbon fiber trekking poles are back on stock as well.

https://www.costco.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Inflatable-Sleeping-Pad-with-Pillow.product.100497482.html

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 27, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Somehow lost the bookmark to this thread so my bad if this this is a repeat, but has there been any discussion about the new ASTM values for pads? I just learned that the Klymit insulated static V dropped from 4.4 to 1.9. The 4.4 always seemed optimistic but I didn't expect the standardized value would be cut by over half. I wanted to start dipping my toe into 0-20 degree conditions, but it looks like I'll need another pad before that happens. Still works for 2 season camping I guess, but for the weight and chance of failure I'd rather just use a z-sol.

Just FYI but Klymit said the 1.9 values they published were incorrect and retracted them from their website. They have yet to release the corrected values however.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

I didn't know that, what a roller coaster.

My wife has a z-sol but she doesn't want to touch cold weather camping, which means I have a z-sol if I needed it for next season.

I suspect their ratings will slide and still be lovely but they won’t publish results until they have a replacement ready to go with better R values so they can discontinue the old one immediately

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This looks like it could be a steal.

https://www.costco.com/cascade-mountain-tech-inflatable-sleeping-pad-with-pillow.product.100497482.html

MSRP $50
Amazon $41.82 ATM,
Costco selling for $39.99, and going on sale for an additional $8 on top of that starting from the 15th, as noted here: https://www.costco.com/online-offers.html

I have no feedback on the brand itself, but Costco + cheap is about as close as you can get to "why the hell not" as you can get.

Their carbon fiber hiking poles are probably the best value poles you can find.
Looks like a Klymit OEM to me. Not insulated however.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

REI Anniversary Sale catalog is up. Dates are May 15-25th. Normal 20% off outlet and regular price coupons will be distributed.

https://catalogs.rei.com/Anniversary-Sale

Yooper, the Explorer+ will be $100 off during this sale which makes it the same price as the mini.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Picked up a nice Nemo sleeping pad that was 25% off.

I need to sell my other 3 pads now ...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Selling some of my lightly used gear in SA-Mart
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932531

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thatguy posted:

Not ideal, better when we get into september and the nights are cold. Helps that we're in low humidity so shade keeps things cool. I prefer cooked sausages but sometimes you get tired of the same protein over and over again. Like, our business doesn't operate like you guys. I wouldn't even contemplate mountain home or other garbage meals you guys uniformly seem to jockey over because we're packing 35 pounds of tools, and have to stay out for up to 12 days. But I mean good luck with all that

but are you eating raw beef from the tube

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thatguy posted:

I also don't use toilet paper and as of yet I haven't managed to poo poo all over my hands. Know your limitations

thatguy posted:

There's an entire industry centered around making people scared of their water supply, especially considering how strong a healthy human's immune and digestive systems are. Why are you guys shocked at horror stories trying to scare you into hundred dollar filtering systems?

thatguy posted:

I work backpacking 6 months a year, and most of you should be concerned less with jerking each other off about your latest goretex-covered 1.1 pound down bag you're buying for 700 dollars and more with getting absolutely everybody you ever see to go outside.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol this dude rocks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thatguy posted:

so you guys don't carry stoves and pots?

No, just your comment and answer made is seem like you were shoveling spoonfuls of raw meat while on the trail

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

We have a Big Agnes and I kinda hate it. I forget what model it is, but it's one of their 2 person models from five or so years ago. As tents go it's basically fine, setup could be easier (I don't like the three pole design) but I've never had a tent I enjoyed setting up so that's not much of a critique.

What does piss me off though is the elastic in the tent poles dried out after about two years and wasn't elastic anymore. I was spitting nails when we were a day's hike away from the car and my dumb rear end is trying to stuff 69 miles of cord back into the tubes so I could give us a place to sleep. It wasn't a hard fix once we got back home but it taught me two things: never buy Big Agnes again, and build your tent in the backyard before going on a road trip just to make sure everything's okay.

edit - oh and now that I think about it more, I hate the doors too. They picked a curve where it's impossible to open one handed because the zipper always catches where the arc tightens.

I bought a BA tent from REI brand new (was a closeout though) and it came with the dried out elastic lines. I used it for about 6 months before finally emailing BA and they replaced the elastic in mine, free of charge. If they had charged they quoted me $25 including shipping which I thought was reasonable.

I agree with the tent door thing, I have the same problem on mine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 21, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Are Coleman propane stoves the standard, or are there other better options (within the same price range) I should consider? I've no experience using portable propane stoves like this, but it's one step closer to getting Ms Cookies to go into The Great Outdoors with me, I'll do it.

I got the classic Coleman two burner stove. It's cheap, pretty reliable and it's $43
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000020943NP-Classic-Propane-Stove/dp/B00005OU9D

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a bunch of used regular kitchen cookwear from Goodwill for like $2 because I knew it was going to get beat up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cnoc makes a version of the Vecto with BeFree threads now and those things are indestructible

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you guys have any Garmin gear that suddenly stopped working, it may be down for a bit

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1287058140110958597?s=21

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a coupon for 25% off any non sale/clearance REI branded equipment. It expires tonight and I'm not going to use it so here you go thread
pre:
HVGEC-ET18Z-DCBBD-XDVDW

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 30, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Save yourself the money and just get a GSI infinity mug. They are about .5 - 1 ounce lighter than the double wall titanium mugs, and in my opinion, do a better job insulating. They also hold more.

Yeah, I got one of these and they're pretty neat. Can't put them on the stove though.

Wish they had a way to securely connect the mug to the insulating sleeve though. I hook my mug to the outside of my pack via a carabiner through the handle and have had it slip out if the sleeve and drop onto the trail once or twice

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 11, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

highme posted:

It’s a huge outdoor year. If you have extra stuff laying around you’ve been thinking about selling, this is the time. I made a split decision to try and sell a Walrus Zoid 1 and 85L pack last week to fund some other stuff. Sold them both within a couple of hours to the first people that responded.

Speaking of which, the Gregory Paragon 48 pack I ordered from REI should arrive today.

I've been running a Paragon 58 for a couple years, love it.

Did you get the clearance one or the new 2020 model?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco is selling a Cascade Mountain Klymit knockoff pad (might even be made by them) for $30/$22 on sale if your store still carries them.

The Cascade Mountain carbon fiber hiking poles for $30/$20 on sale are also an incredible deal.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 13, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Coleman Marine ones for ~$50 (the white ones with metal hinges) are pretty good for the money.

Costco has their Yeti knockoff on clearance right now for $100-150 if you can find. them in your local store.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Someone has to had made a “tactical telescope” by now

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MMD3 posted:

About to pull the trigger on a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 (redesigned for 2020).

Any reason I shouldn't other than $$$?

Camp Saver has it for 20% off if you wanna save some cash
https://www.campsaver.com/big-agnes-copper-spur-hv-ul2.html

Won't get that sweet return policy like REI but I've bought a few things (and returned a couple) from them and been satisfied.

If you want to stick with REI or another retailer I would hang on until Labor Day in a couple weeks and see if it goes on sale

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

REI Labor Day Sale ad is out
https://catalogs.rei.com/Labor-Day-Sale-and-Clearance/1/

20% off One REI Outlet item (use coupon code LABORDAY20) (curiously only on outlet items, not on regular stock)
Up to 70% off Clearance Clothing for Women & Men
Up to 50% off Clearance Sandals
Up to 50% off Clearance Swimwear
40% off REI Co-Op Brand Rain Jackets & Rain Pants
30% off All REI Co-op Brand 650 Down Jackets & Vests
30% off All REI Co-Op Brand Furniture
25% off All Arc'teryx items
25% off All Osprey Ozone Luggage & Travel PacksArc'teryx items

Backpacks

25% off Osprey (Kyte & Kestrel)
25% off Gregory (Deva & Baltoro)
25% off All Arc Teryx