Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congrats on the win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... Wow, this is like the fastest start for an empire I have ever see in MOO

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, I've neer seen an earl ygame race this fast.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Let's go skin us some furballs!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice to see like our tactical plans are going off purr-fectly.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nicely played finale!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, so, out of curiosity. There's a diplomatic genocide penalty for eradicating another species. But what if you eradicate a species before you've made contact with any others? Would it still apply to them?

Probably as I'm guessing this game probably doesn't have the ability to separate effects related tos pecies which haven't encountered one another yet in the engine.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good play! Thanks for going all the way through.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
You have some breathing room (presuming a sillicoid based species of sapient rocks breathes)..

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice! well done and congrats.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, what in gneeral would folks say is the 'hardest' race to win with on the original Master of Orion? Presuming one isn't saying specific map size going into the equation, but what in general would they say is for them the roughest?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Amazing to watch so far!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congrats on grinding the way back up to stability!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... Wow, you are doing awesomely playing out a real messy hand. I am in awe.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Wayne posted:

Well, I think it's safe to say playing the vulture and picking over your foes' carcasses was definitely the right move. I really did not expect the Psilons to leave that many worlds open after bombing them. Maybe they upgraded their colony ships and the batch that usually comes along with their doomstack got scrapped and they had to send them from home, and you got there first?

This game as someone lower end you -have- to play the vulture. To weaken your enemies and to get room to grow. If you are the one they're feeding on you hit the train where everyone declares war on you as they want your territory or to take out one oftheir smaller enemies.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hey, you played a hard game and managed to *survive* this far against so many rough turns. You kept on fighting. Anyone else would have quit by tableflip long ago.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! No random self destructions of ships this time or find out you've got a bad case of prematurely declared war!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Is it worth it once you grab all the prime places to early on fill in all the crappy ones just so you don't have another race stealing them and not really bothering to build them up? Or get a lot of colonizers just to fill in everywhere you can early on so you have them available for later in the game even if it slows you down building up the better worlds?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Def interested!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, you're not going to seize a Bulrathi colony. Starve out by seige and bombadment, sure. Take in ground attack, nope.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay for slwo and steady! Kudos for sticking with it for so long.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow! Great going! Amazing to see you having gone from near last to neck and neck (or rock and neck).

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
You played the game when it was hard. You played the game when it was a slog. You played the game to VICTORY.

You, man, are a damned hero.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Lot of small to medium generally not great planets, but you have a zone!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice win! Well played.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congrats on getting the cat to stay in the hat.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Man that was quick.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good luck with grabbing as many of the good system sas you can and bulding them up and getting reayd to expand.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Thotimx posted:

I was born reayd! - sez the guy who misspelled 'Let's Play'. Also …

I thought you were born (at least on the forums) as Thotmix. Shows you what I know..

Said the person who had to retype his single sentence five times to get most of the typos out before giving up.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice expansion so far and nice managing to maintain stable relations. You're doing well as the Darloks!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
This has been a surprisingly good game as the Darloks. espionage properly handled is keeping you going very well

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
total war on a Huge map involves dozens upon dozens of planetary attacks because you have to be able to attain sufficient population to get a council supremacy vote on your -own- since presumably everyone you're at warw ith votes agaisnt you. It will be hundreds of turns of go to planet, bombard/invade, ensure enemy does not slip colonizer back there, repeat. While you are in rough technological parity or inferiority with most races.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Xarn posted:

That's why we sneak attack with bioweapons :v:

You have to do that to dozens of planets, break thorugh thier missile bases, thier shields, and then have a bioweapon that's higher level than thier tech to be able to effect the populace, or it does less damage than orbital bombardment - less sometimes as it doesn't do damage to factories and population can grow faster than it can hit them. And bioweapons are space inefficient so loadout for them takes more than it does for bombs.

Without even the diplomatic hit of aggro'ing the entire galaxy against you, they don't even WORK really well. By the point you're advanced enough to have bioweapons that can majorly put a hurt on someone and have enough of a tech lead, bombing them to the stone age is far, far more cost effective. If you're going to cull-murder-genocide, you can at least do it WELL.

Do you want to spend 10-20 turns around a planet trying to lower the population by 5-6% a turn at best if you're on a tech par with someone? Bioweapons are about that level.

If you're going for crass overkill to a nonsensical level, Stellar Converter is where it's at. FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL BATTLE STATION

Spoil-tagged as not sure if tat's come up yet or not.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Thanks, forgot the Stellar Converter didn't work the same way. My bad.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Whoo! Congrats on completing the challenge and great to see this game get to shine.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Thotimx posted:

Does 'I'm fairly rubbish at XCOM' count as a reason? Of course that may be considered a feature instead of a bug, but I'm not at all confident I could actually complete it on a reasonably high difficulty. Which would mean a lot of 'research' -- aka getting better at the game before starting an LP of it. Which may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Honestly, I really like XCOM. I also think that Jade Star/Guava Moment's work on them are of such a high standard that it would almost be sacrilege to pollute things with what I'd come up with. But I'll definitely add it to the possibles.

Also, the lot of you are clearly going to make this a close vote and a tough decision. I like having that kind of problem.

There's also some of the X-COM homages that have easier learning curves - Xenonauts is amazing, for example and smooths out most of the UI/general weirdness issues X-COM had and is much, much easier to follow. And I've not -seen- a playthrough of it here.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Coolguye posted:

xenonauts has not had an LP on the forums and there's some pretty great tactics that you can wrench out of the game due to its updated gear pool at least. one of the strongest early game strategies for breaching areas is to go full on LAPD and equip soldiers with riot shields and stun sticks, so their shields eat the reaction fire from enemies and after that there's a lot of sickening crunches and blood flying while jacked up jackboots yell "stop resisting"

Also has a better UI and AI. Particularly if you use some of the mods like the Community Edition. And the game doesn't have -that- high nuts a learning curve if you're going the X-COM route. You do not, for example, have to transfer out all the random flares in your base out when a base attack is incoming to make sure your troops spawn with guns.

Also fun tactics involve SAWs. Early game just having two heavy machine guns behind cover and set to full reaction fire is a glorious, glorious thing sitting outside the UFO door when the alien plays peekaboo. Sure, it destroys everything in the breech but it is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
In complete fairness the 'aliens screwing you over completely and utterly' is also an X-COM staple. Xenonauts merely does not give you the same methodology of screwing the aliens back as supremely effectively (you cannot get psionics, you do not get blaster bombs, your feeble attempts at blockinga lien mind screws shall fail faster than RNG $##!). Upside, your soldiesr aren't quite as prone to panic and fire a rocket launcher into your own troops. Cold comfort.