Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Not to be a smartass, but if your workflow and getting into the groove is that important, why not take your initial pictures after assembly but before priming? That's entirely within the rules of the challenge, and there's no fiddly grey area where X model is too far long, but Y is just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

grassy gnoll posted:

Not to be a smartass, but if your workflow and getting into the groove is that important, why not take your initial pictures after assembly but before priming? That's entirely within the rules of the challenge, and there's no fiddly grey area where X model is too far long, but Y is just fine.

Because I might have that rhino or marine sitting at that stage for several months

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

The side panel on the rhino might disqualify it, but if you're worried about the pre shading in the crevices, I'd say that should be fine

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Booley posted:

Because I might have that rhino or marine sitting at that stage for several months

I know that feeling, I've got some stuff that's been sitting around undercoated for years...

I meant to clarify, the Rhino would be fine if it weren't for the black side panels, if the whole thing were just pre-shaded it'd be fine by me.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Time to get some terrain done!

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of April a Garbage truck (by TTcombat, 35mm) and two Bus Shelters (by Multiverse Gaming, 35mm).

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Crud, the month is getting away from me.

I, head58, oath for April this unit of Rebel Scum (7) for Star Wars Legacy, Fantasy Flight Games, 32mmish?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
For April, I, Electric Hobo, oath to paint some burning cows! By Mantic.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

For April, I Signal do oath a Knight of Montesa, and a Knight of Santiago, from Corvus Belli (Infinity) in 28mm:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Additional Oath! Morranach and Ballchin from Mierce

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

LazyAngel posted:

That went by quickly, so I'll also Oath one Celestial Elephant, from Wrath of Kings by CMON. 32mm scale, but around 4-5 high

And again! Oathing Maximus (Themopylae) and Parvati (Victorian Automata) 'skins' from Aristeia by Corvus Belli (28mm)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
:phoneb:March judgement!:phone:

Third place, 1 point: Ugleb

Second place, 2 points: Red Shoe

First place, 3 points: KingMob

Bonus, 1 point: Zark the Damned

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Electric Hobo posted:

:phoneb:March judgement!:phone:

Third place, 1 point: Ugleb

Whoop! Ta very much! :)

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath Complete!

Thanks for the points, Electric Hobo!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Oath Complete

Claiming Jurnal for the freehand chapter symbols, tactical markings, power sword lighting and the little droppod mural I did on the sarge's kneepad

Claiming Get the Crystal for the table toppers. I'm pretty sure a gaming surface is considered a gaming aid.

All together now

49 28mm heroic scale infantry
1 28mm heroic scale walker

14 15mm tank/apcs
1 15mm aircraft
23 15mm infantry

2 MDF base boards and a table expander thing

Bonus - 1 Chapter Challenge marine.

Total count: 89 models + the table.

Thanks to Zark the Damned, the judges and the rest of the team for running this. You guys rock. I really enjoyed participating in this thread, it has really helped me get models finished and allowed me to accomplish some goals during a really rough time at work.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Oath complete:

Jurnal:

Flames, random decoration on the rokkits etc.

All together:

An eclectic mix, 42 infantry, 5 vehicles and a bike. I could have done more which sucks.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ugleb posted:

Time to get some terrain done!

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of April a Garbage truck (by TTcombat, 35mm) and two Bus Shelters (by Multiverse Gaming, 35mm).

head58 posted:

I, head58, oath for April this unit of Rebel Scum (7) for Star Wars Legacy, Fantasy Flight Games, 32mmish?

Electric Hobo posted:

For April, I, Electric Hobo, oath to paint some burning cows! By Mantic.

Signal posted:

For April, I Signal do oath a Knight of Montesa, and a Knight of Santiago, from Corvus Belli (Infinity) in 28mm:

Red Shoe posted:

Additional Oath! Morranach and Ballchin from Mierce

LazyAngel posted:

And again! Oathing Maximus (Themopylae) and Parvati (Victorian Automata) 'skins' from Aristeia by Corvus Belli (28mm)

Approved!

Electric Hobo posted:

Bonus, 1 point: Zark the Damned

Woo, thank you.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
I, gameraMan, Oath to paint for April 2018 1 bed!

Another Hirst Arts cast.

Dug through my backlog of many minis but could not find any other space for a decent amount of freehand painting, not as much as the blanket on the bed gives me. The picture includes a bit of pencil sketching to think about what i might put there. In any case attempting to finish up Free as a bird.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yvonmukluk posted:

I, Yvonmukluk, Oath for April 2018 12 Warlord Games Commandos* and one Warlord Games Sherman V, all 28mm.

*Technically half of them are British Airborne with headswaps, if that matters.

Oath Complete!

And I'll also claim All Together Now:

We have:
75 28mm scale infantry (unless I miscounted)
1 Dalek that's meant to be 35mm, but is otherwise ambigious
2 28mm Jumping-off points/objectives
1 28mm Tank

Not too shabby, really!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

OATH COMPLETE

I haven’t done many (any?) of the challenges this year but the thread has kept me focused on getting stuff done. Thank you.

head58 posted:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I, wdarkk, Oath for the month of April two Remnant Cruisers by TTCombat for Dropfleet Commander (Resin, 1:9150).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A bit late in the month, but

I moths oath for April one Contemptor Dreadnaught and one Black Templars Captain Draco:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete

I pushed myself this month, a good number of models, weathering, custom transfers (and weathering of them), Object light sourcing as well.

The Big beasty.

The Rebel's reply.

Babbies first OSL.

Some support.

The Troops. Stormtroopers are HARD. Hard to paint and hard to photo.

The barricades. zzzz

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Oath complete!

Claiming Journal for the free hand on the parchment flight stand things. I attempted at least 1 fleur-de-lis on each model. They came out... okay.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

Claiming All together now and Stay awhile and listen for my bad fan fic about burning ghost cows.

I sold my Descent collection and my Fury of Dracula, so this is looking pretty empty.

Of Cows and Wizards, A Frostgrave story:
"What exactly am I looking at Master?"
"It would appear to be the spectral remnants of the thousands who died here, brought back by a common hatred of magic."
"But... Why does it look like cows?"
"I believe this is where Felstadt's meat was butchered. I suspect that some enterprising wizards set up a magic slaughterhouse to make the process more efficient."
The wizard gazes into the city below, where the battle rages.
"Now, look at that fellow over there. The one with the enchanted sword."
As the apprentice look on, the spectral bovine changes course and charges a soldier. The screams are horrible as the man is crushed beneath the ghostly hooves.
"That was Ogden, Master. He was one of our soldiers."
The old wizard look bored. "So it goes. We'll just hire another one. You need to learn how to think like a wizard."
The old man sends his apprentice a disapproving glare.
"Well, how about this, Master." the younger man says as he infuses a pebble with a tiny amount of magic and hurls it into the streets below. As is lands at the feet of three soldiers engaged in fighting, it explodes in a tiny spray of colored sparks.
The cows instantly change direction, phases through a building and proceeds to gore and trample the three fighters. The apparation finally moves on when all life has left the bodies.
"See, Master. Only one of those three was on our side. That's... a good trade." the apprentice says nervously.
Again, the old wizard glares at his apprentice. His face slowly twists into an broad smile.
"Well done! That is a proper wizardly way to see things." he says.
"Now. Lets have some fun." he continues and picks up a handful of pebbles.

Their hideous laughter mixes with the screams and hateful mooing from below.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

TheFinalTuba posted:

I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint the following:
2 Interventors of Tunguska
2 Fast Pandas
1 Spektr
All Infinity, Corvus Belli

With Tunguska dropping soon, time to finally paint the models I've been hoarding. Basecoating is ok, right? Accountability oath!!! :P

Oath Complete!

Very happy with how these turned out, even if the varnish once again dulled my highlights a bit >_< Tunguska here I come!

Claiming the Jurnal for the freehanded camo pattern on their pants.

Also claiming All for One!, here's the photo!

Always exciting to see all the progress that a year makes! A little less than last year but still, progress!!!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Unfortunately I gameraMan am going have to bow out early and not quite complete this oath. I thought I could get farther ahead of some travel starting tomorrow, but failed to finish by today and won't be back till start of May. I did at least include an All Together Now group photo for April.

I had oathed 1 bed and was going to add another as an oath addition, this next pic is as far as I got. Technically it might be complete (the left one) but isn't yet what I was going for for the month (was going to be a lot more work on the blanket) and I still wanted to include the 2nd bed. Anyway:

for All Together Now we get the whole gang together

So sort of a monsters run a bed and breakfast situation I guess

Anyway the last few months of oathing did help me get motivated to get a lot more done than I would normally have, next months hopefully things go more smoothly...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete!

One looted knight, resplendent with freehand shoulders and banner for the Jurnal. Also claiming the Mr Try Hard Award!

May - A Flying Start: The wyvern wing on the back banner, also the flying rocket
June - Raise Your Flag: Back banner and pennant between the legs (Orks dig giant robots)
July - Time to Shine: Shows better in one of the WIP shots, the Knight Faceplate Trophy is shiny green and silver
August - Feeling the heat: The Rocket Trail
September - The Chop Shop: Knight is fairly heavily converted!
October - Bring out your dead: There are a bunch of skulls all over this guy
November - Always take the weather with you: Plenty of chipping around the knight plus heat staining on both guns courtesy of SRM's guide on Camhammer
December - Back to Base-ics: The fancy junkyard base
January - Remember to show your workings: WIP Album is here
February - My heart bleeds for you: The buzzsaw bayonet under the heat gun is fairly gory
March - I’m gonna wreck it!: Plenty of bulletholes and gouges all over this guy
April - Free(hand) as a bird: Both shoulders and banners

Plus All for One:

I painted quite a few big things this season, but only a couple of squads and not as much terrain as I hoped to get done. I'll have to rectify that next season!

Bonus pic of all the stuff I did this season for my Heretic Orkstartes army:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, Oath to paint for April 2018 1 bed!

Another Hirst Arts cast.

Dug through my backlog of many minis but could not find any other space for a decent amount of freehand painting, not as much as the blanket on the bed gives me. The picture includes a bit of pencil sketching to think about what i might put there. In any case attempting to finish up Free as a bird.

wdarkk posted:

I, wdarkk, Oath for the month of April two Remnant Cruisers by TTCombat for Dropfleet Commander (Resin, 1:9150).

moths posted:

A bit late in the month, but

I moths oath for April one Contemptor Dreadnaught and one Black Templars Captain Draco:

Approved!

Not long left in April now, I hope to get the Season 9 thread up soon!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Oath complete

Claiming jurnal for camo patterning.

And All Together

This year I painted about 70 models, some of which are not in this picture because they were gifts. On one hand, that's a lot. On the other hand, it's not very much at all. Oh well!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath complete!

I didn't realize these guys had the same body until I started painting them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oath Complete! Journal is the handpainted chapter seal, banner, and script on the captain's shin.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

Celestial Elephant, from Wrath of Kings by CMoN

Parvati and Maximus's alt. skins from Aristeia by Corvus Belli

Professor Viktoria Pendrake, from P3's March MiniCrate

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

For the freehand challenge I painted a design on the banner.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

I got kind of burnt out on this guy and moved on to other stuff before I could really do freehand in earnest. Oh well, I'm happy with the painting I did do on him at any rate.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete

Once again my pictures depress me, but oh well. At least this time my progress on faces has improved slightly. Got to keep working on that; it looks less obviously bad in person.

I am not claiming anything other than the completed month because I ran out of time to do a group photo. :shrug:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Oath Complete

April's been an awful month for me so only one picture and a few things didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped. Still a nice model though. Turrets are magnetized, but the flight peg makes it hard for them to turn.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete and All for One

I tried to do lotuses on their backs, being they're Lotus Eaters. Still need practice :smith:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

(halfass) Oath Complete!

Journal is the striping on their tabards

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: Oath Complete! :frogsiren:

For the freehand challenge, I did these two lovely clay pots. (I also attempted to put a fantasy-SHIELD logo onto Hobbit Nick Fury's shield, but A} it kinda sucked and B} I couldn't get a good angle on it, so gently caress it.)

And for All Together Now!, I present the following models that I've painted over the past year:
Front Row: Fat Yuan Yuan, Griffin, Halfling w/ Banner, Orc Drummer, 2 Frost Giants, 3 Halflings (Scribe, Sorcerer, Bugler)
Row 2: Ghost, Fire Mage, Flaming Sphere, Lich Lord, Priestess, Dracula, 3 Vampire Brides, 2 Ghasts, Fire Giant
Row 3: Owlbear Rampant, 3 Spanish Inquisitors, 5 Dead Dudes, 11 Martian athletes
Back Row: Drunken Dwarf Bard, 6 Halflings (1 Knight, 3 Bowmen, 1 Crossbowman, 1 Grizzled Veteran), 7 Cursed Treasures
(Full album is here. Apologies for some blurry pics, I'm super tired.)

Thanks to all the judges for hosting, and to all the artists for another great season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Oath Complete

My 30 Steel Warriors (again, no dullcote because money, no base because doing them bulk once everything is painted), in the form of

4 as Huscarls (squad leaders)

4 as Rekkhyrrs (flamethrower squad)

12 as Brakkarim and Issilgarim (Autocannons for Steel Warriors/Stormrage Veterans, magma cannons and missile launchers for Stormrage Veterans)

10 regular Steel Warriors (Rifles)

No time to do all for one right now, but I'll get a photo done for the thread some time this week

• Locked thread