Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I, Chiwie, Oath to paint these 5 15mm M1IP Abrams for May. Battlefront miniatures for Team Yankee, 2x platoons and a command tank.

Edit: Forgot to bold text.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chiwie posted:

I, Chiwie, Oath to paint these 5 15mm M1IP Abrams for May. Battlefront miniatures for Team Yankee, 2x platoons and a command tank.

Edit: Forgot to bold text.

Oath Complete

Sorry about the bad photos.

Manual Achievements

Take one for the team

A faithful replica

A recipe for success

I don't have an airbrush and these are the first things I've put a brush two in years, but if you like the results try this:

I was aiming for a group of tanks operational in the field for a little while, hence the missing rear sprocket guards and weathering.

1. Base coat the tanks in flat black. I use cheap paint from the local auto store.
2. Unload your brush until it's juussst off dry brush levels of Vallejo Model Air 71.294 US Forest Green. Try not to cry because you're using airbrush consistency paint. Keep going until it's just off a streaky mess, should be roughly 3 coats.
3. Wash panel seems and the like with Army Painter Dark Tone.
4. Dry brush forest green again. Repeat until your coverage is good.
5. Equipment (ammo hoppers and jerry cans) are painted with VMC 70.887 Brown Violet. Brake lights on the rear are two light coats of VMC 70.957 Flat Red. Guns are flat black. Hit them with dark tone and then their base colors again if needed.
6. Dry brush everything that isn't black with a 50% mix of US Forest Green and VMC 70.819 Iraqi Sand.
7. Apply tamiya weathering master light gun metal to the 50.cal and other, lesser not 50.cal gun. Apply tamiya weathering master mud to everything that could touch mud. Hit the main gun barrel with soot.
8. Tank commanders are VMC 70.894 Cam olive green, 70.955 flat flesh or 50% flat flesh and 70.871 leather brown. 50% of the troops is a patches of leather brown or 70.983 flat earth, then 25% of the remaining green is covered by VMC 70.988 Khaki, then black stripes of 70.862 Black Grey. Hit with hit uniform with dark tone wash, flesh with strong tone, hit the flesh with flat flesh or 50% flat flesh and leather brown.
9. Tracks are basecoated with citadel Rhinox Hide, dry brushed with VMC 70.990 light grey, then washed with dark tone, weathered with weathering master mud.
10. Enjoy your awesome 1985 era tanks.

Chiwie posted:

I, Chiwie, oath this 1/144th F/A-18A as an additional oath for May.

Plane is a Revell kit, flightstand is battlefront.

Additional Oath Complete.

Manual Achievements

Need 4 Speed

Monthly challenge

May - A Flying Start

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 1, 2017

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I'm an idiot and forgot to include my username on the complete photos. Is is possible for me to edit it in before the end of the month?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Sure thing, just let me know when done so I can update the spreadsheet

Fixed it, thanks!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chiwie posted:

Additional Oath Complete.

Manual Achievements

Need 4 Speed

Monthly challenge

May - A Flying Start

Updated my OG oath complete here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818112&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post472792280

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I, Chiwie, oath 4 1/100 scale plastic Battlefront M113s and a full mech platoon bases of Battlefront Team Yankee US Mech Infantry in 1/100 scale for June.

Going to try summer verdant MERDC on the m113s without an airbrush. :smithicide:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chiwie posted:

I, Chiwie, oath 4 1/100 scale plastic Battlefront M113s and a full mech platoon bases of Battlefront Team Yankee US Mech Infantry in 1/100 scale for June.

Going to try summer verdant MERDC on the m113s without an airbrush. :smithicide:

Oath Complete!

Camouflage wasn't as scary as I thought. Just had to resolve myself to accept it's not going to be 100% accurate.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I, Chiwie, oath 5 1/100 scale plastic Battlefront Chieftain Mk5s in 1/100 scale for July.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chiwie posted:

I, Chiwie, oath 5 1/100 scale plastic Battlefront Chieftain Mk5s in 1/100 scale for July.

Oath complete.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I Chiwie, Oath 10 Bigly Marines made by Games Workshop.

I'm also an idiot and put 3 too many bases in the shot.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

OATH COMPLETE

Calming Feeling the heat on Vet. Sgt's power sword.

Edit:
Forgot to put in my username because I was rushing (paint on the round bit bases was legit drying as I took the shots). Here's the gallery ready pics:

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 1, 2017

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I Chiwie, Oath 6 Bigly Marines made by Games Workshop.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Oath complete!

Claiming monthly journal for the sarge's headswap.

Super not happy with these, especially the banner. Going to go back and fix them up later.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I, Chiwie, oath 6 Space Marines by GW and Forgeworld 28mm .

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chiwie posted:

I, Chiwie, oath 6 Space Marines by GW and Forgeworld 28mm .

Oath Complete!

Can't wait for my lightbox to get here to make photos a little easier to take. updated, now with added lightbox action!

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 2, 2017

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I've just got ahold of my lightbox, is it ok if I update the photos for this month's oath?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I, Chiwie, oath 1 Space Marine Relic Contemptor Dreadnought by GW and Forgeworld 28mm.

Gunning for Rescue Ranger on this fella. He has been base coated for about 4+ years now.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I'm retarded. Let me try that again.

I, Chiwie, oath 1 Space Marine Relic Contemptor Dreadnought by GW and Forgeworld 28mm.

Gunning for Rescue Ranger on this fella. He has been base coated for about 4+ years now.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chiwie posted:

I'm retarded. Let me try that again.

Oath Complete

Claiming Rescue Ranger as per og post. Claiming journal for the dust on it's booties, the barred metal and brown wash I put on some of the metal. Sadly on the last two it didn't really show up on the photo. :(

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I, Chiwie, oath to paint for December: 5 28mm Vanguard Veterans by Games Workshop/Forgeworld!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Oath Complete!

Claiming journal for the bases. I've used spak filler, texture paints and a base coat, ink and highlight combo.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I, Chiwie, oath to paint 5 Escher gangers, 28mm by Games Workshop, for the month of January.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Oath Complete!

Claiming Remember to show your workings and Spic and Span

Show your working:

Base coated.

Trying to figure out how to do the hair.

Final WIP was getting ahold of a colour filter for my painting lamp.

Spic and Span:

Before

After:

It turns out moving house is a great motivator to clean your desk.

Actual Oath:

Gang Leader:

Champion 1:

Champion 2:

Juve 1:

Juve 2:

All together:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I, Chiwie, oath these 10 Intercessor marines for February 2018. Models are 28mm Games Workshop.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chiwie posted:

I, Chiwie, oath these 10 Intercessor marines for February 2018. Models are 28mm Games Workshop.

Oath Complete

Claiming the marine with the cut up face and helm as jurnal entry.

Claiming the The Daily Double with April - Free(hand) as a bird with the tactical, company and chapter markings and December - Back to Base-ics for the spak filler/highlighted and washed bases.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I, Chiwie, oath this Space Marine lieutenant for March 2018. Models are 28mm Games Workshop.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Signal posted:

Bonus point: Chiwie

This face is delightfully well done! Keep it up!

Holy poo poo. Thank you so much!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

Bonus, 1 point: Chiwie

I don't know how to deal with positive reinforcement. Send help!

But seriously thank you! I never thought in a million years that I would get bonus points.

Oath Complete

Claiming jurnal for the slightly scratched up bit of the breast plate, the bullet hole on the left pauldron.

Claiming Stay awhile and listen for the followingly bad Fandex style entry:

Coda's bad fanfiction posted:

Lieutenant Ulther Vermillion 'The Red Fox' of the Swords Of Davion

Ulther Vermillion. The Red Fox. An Astares that is seemingly always knee deep in the blood of foes and allies, right in the maelstrom of the most brutal close quarters fighting he can find.

He represents the 'old' way of the Swords of Davion, seeking personal glory over all other matters. Vermillion earnt his title during the battle for fox pass, where his entire squad died to due to his unwillingness to retreat in the face of a blood axe horde. Instead he and the squad held the narrow pass for 6 nights and 7 days until he was relieved as the sole survivor, found covered grevious wounds and rent armour. Standing alone amongst the corpses of Astares and Orks alike....

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I, Chiwie, Oath these 5 Space Marines and 6x4 MDF gaming table toppers for the month of April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Oath Complete

Claiming Jurnal for the freehand chapter symbols, tactical markings, power sword lighting and the little droppod mural I did on the sarge's kneepad

Claiming Get the Crystal for the table toppers. I'm pretty sure a gaming surface is considered a gaming aid.

All together now

49 28mm heroic scale infantry
1 28mm heroic scale walker

14 15mm tank/apcs
1 15mm aircraft
23 15mm infantry

2 MDF base boards and a table expander thing

Bonus - 1 Chapter Challenge marine.

Total count: 89 models + the table.

Thanks to Zark the Damned, the judges and the rest of the team for running this. You guys rock. I really enjoyed participating in this thread, it has really helped me get models finished and allowed me to accomplish some goals during a really rough time at work.

• Locked thread