Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for May 2017: (1) Fat Yuan Yuan, Combat Action; and (1) Gryphon! Both 28mm; the pudgy space pirate dude is from Corvus Belli, the winged beastie is from Reaper Bones.

...And hopefully my work won't explode at me this month. (The green stuff is, um, liquid greenstuff. Also I had to screw with the contrast a bit to get the screne to read properly; let me know if it still needs fixing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for May 2017: (1) Fat Yuan Yuan, Combat Action; and (1) Gryphon! Both 28mm; the pudgy space pirate dude is from Corvus Belli, the winged beastie is from Reaper Bones.

...And hopefully my work won't explode at me this month. (The green stuff is, um, liquid greenstuff. Also I had to screw with the contrast a bit to get the screne to read properly; let me know if it still needs fixing.)

As part of my oath this month, I'm going for the Need 4 Speed achievement! Here's my Before pic:

(Hopefully you can read the time stamp....)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gargunza posted:

As part of my oath this month, I'm going for the Need 4 Speed achievement! Here's my Before pic:

And here's the After pic (featuring still-wet wash)!

how the crap am i still awake

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

Only a couple of days left folks!

Oh, just FYI, the Oath Countdown app doesn't seem to be working. :(

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

The gryphon I painted up to resemble a bluejay. Just 'cos.

My intention was to get "A Faithful Replica" for the Fightin' Fatboy. I went for as close as I can get to the studio paintjob without requiring expensive gene therapy to implant some of Angel Giraldez's talent:

(The images I used as the original are on the left side of this pic. Really hoping I'm not breaking tables here.)

Achievements I'm claiming for this month: Getting Started (automatic), A Flying Start, A Faithful Replica, Zark the Damned's Monster MAY-hem, and Need 4 Speed (quoted here):

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

And here's the After pic (featuring still-wet wash)!

how the crap am i still awake

(I did add a little more static grass to the bluejay-gryphon's base a few minutes after I took this picture 'cos I wasn't happy with how sparse it looked; hope that's not a problem.)

Full album is here.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following for June: (1) Halfling standard bearer and (1) Orc musician! Both 28mm; the halfling is from Westfalia Publishing (resin, zenithal primed), and the orc is a metal GW sculpt from like 1998.

e: It occurred to me I should probably link the Kickstarter I got the halfling from, as Westfalia's main website seems to be borked until August.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 24, 2017

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

(Bonus nerdliness: I raced to finish this oath after a D&D game earlier Friday evening!)

At this time, I'd like to formally request membership in the gently caress Painting Yellow Forever Club, because this banner quickly turned into a pain in the kiester. Also, my freehand continues to be execrable. Also, remind me, if I use painter's tape on future projects, don't use a standard brush, just use the airbrush. kthx

Challenge Completed: Raise Your Flag (the halfling's banner)

Full album is here. I might add a couple of individual shots of these guys later.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 1, 2017

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for July: (3) Halflings and (2) Fire Giant Warriors!

All 28mm; the halflings are resin from Westfalia Miniatures, zenithal primed; the giants are naked Bonesium from Reaper, not yet based. (The second pic is just to show the details from the front.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for July 2017:

One Skullvane Manse
One Imperial Standard Bearer
7 Adventurers

All 28mm, GW, Game Zone and Antediluvian Miniatures respectively.

Where...where did you find that Skullvane Manse?! I haven't seen whole kits on eBay in ages, let alone anything in an affordable price range.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

For the Time to Shine monthly challenge, I went with a very shiny sphere and amulet for the halfling wizard:

These were done by means of a Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker, applied on the ball and the necklace by pumping some of the chrome ink out and then using a brush. It's not photographing very well on the orb, but in real life it's very shiny. The amulet shows it off better; this was painted with the chrome ink and then covered with a glaze of GW Waystone Green gemstone paint.
There's also meant to be a bit of contrast between the "old" and "young" giants; the grey-bearded one has significantly older gear, shown by applying some Nihilakh Oxide to the copper bits. The red-bearded giant's weapons and armor are much newer and shinier, as is the ring on his right hand.

(holy crap, I need to dust more often.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

What was your process for painting the horns on the helmets? Also your beards.

TIA

Happy to oblige, but I don't want to clog up the Oath Thread when people are oathing. Follow me to the painting thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&pagenumber=369#post474948319

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for the disgustingly humid month of August: {1) spooOOOooky Ghost; (1) Aaron the Conjuror; and (1) Ball of Fire!

All Reaper Bonesium (except the wizard's base, which is a homemade resin cast), 28mm heroic. Only the ghost is primed so far.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

I went for Feelin' the Heat on all of these duders; the fire mage and fireball are pretty obvious, but I also put a faint glow on the ghost's tombstone and the ground beneath it.
Full album is here.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath for September to assemble and paint a couple of Frankenstein's-monster-style amalgams of the following: (1) Wight King; (1) Halbarad, Cleric; (1) Ingrid; (1) staff with some kind of wing-headed skull device!

All 28mm heroic scale. The Wight King is GW, the priest and viking are Reaper Bones, and the staff is from Reaper's Bones 3 plastic weapons pack.
I've obviously already been doing some work on conversion, but here's the staff on sprue:

There's a chance I might want to add a book from GW's Empire Flagellants kit to the Wight King, so here's a picture featuring that:

And since I've removed the sword and shield from the Wight King, here's me showing my work:

This is what the Wight King looks like unaltered:

"After" pics coming as soon as I finish assembly (and repair the staff, which I managed to snap off not five minutes after taking my oath pic, rassum frassum....)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
(Thanks for the votes, judges! You guys are the best! :) )

Okay, so it's After Conversion Pics time:

To the Wight King, I've added: the Bones staff in place of his sword; a GW Empire Flagellant book (with greenstuff press-mold skull); Halbarand's left arm to hold the book; just, like, a ton of thinned liquid greenstuff to hide glue marks/gaps/errors and add a softer texture to some surfaces.
To Ingrid, I've made these changes: removed her sword and scabbard; added Halbarand's hammer; added a greenstuff layer of chainmail and cloth to her rear skirt where the scabbard used to be.
(Halbarand is included in these shots to show how much I chopped off of him to add to the models I'm actually working on. His sacrifice will be noted.)

For comparison, here are the Before pics.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath for September to assemble and paint a couple of Frankenstein's-monster-style amalgams of the following: (1) Wight King; (1) Halbarad, Cleric; (1) Ingrid; (1) staff with some kind of wing-headed skull device!

All 28mm heroic scale. The Wight King is GW, the priest and viking are Reaper Bones, and the staff is from Reaper's Bones 3 plastic weapons pack.
I've obviously already been doing some work on conversion, but here's the staff on sprue:

There's a chance I might want to add a book from GW's Empire Flagellants kit to the Wight King, so here's a picture featuring that:

And since I've removed the sword and shield from the Wight King, here's me showing my work:

"After" pics coming as soon as I finish assembly (and repair the staff, which I managed to snap off not five minutes after taking my oath pic, rassum frassum....)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

head58 posted:

Here's the turtle: https://imgur.com/2tmGE9w
https://imgur.com/03wzNZQ

And the guild ballers
https://imgur.com/esD1ig4
Hoping those just show as links and I don't blow out anyone's tables

Just FYI, you can have the pics show up as large inline thumbnails by adding a lower-case L right before the .jpg in the link. Or you can change the image link to a "timg" (make sure to close with /timg) for a click-to-embiggen thumbnail. Many a broken table has been mended by these tags.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

And I'm going for the Chop Shop achievement, with the renovations to both models! Please try to ignore the fissure up near the head of the lich's staff; that's where it kept breaking off whenever a finger/brush handle/extra-speedy air molecule brushed against it (which happened about 6 times during the entire process). It's more superglue now than plastic. Eventually I just stopped giving a poo poo what the finished product looked like, as long as it was vaguely staff-shaped.

Full album is here. (I'm just going to post my preliminary photos under here.)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Okay, so it's After Conversion Pics time:

To the Wight King, I've added: the Bones staff in place of his sword; a GW Empire Flagellant book (with greenstuff press-mold skull); Halbarand's left arm to hold the book; just, like, a ton of thinned liquid greenstuff to hide glue marks/gaps/errors and add a softer texture to some surfaces.
To Ingrid, I've made these changes: removed her sword and scabbard; added Halbarand's hammer; added a greenstuff layer of chainmail and cloth to her rear skirt where the scabbard used to be.
(Halbarand is included in these shots to show how much I chopped off of him to add to the models I'm actually working on. His sacrifice will be noted.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following for October: (1) Count Dracula and (3) Vampire Brides!

All metal, 28mm heroic, zenithal primed, from Bad Squiddo Games' new "My Last Sunrise: Vampire Gothic" collection (from their most recent Kickstarter, available from our goon friend TheDiceBagLady!).

Bleeehhh!!!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:skeltal: Oath Complete! :skeltal:

Claiming the Jurnal for spooOOOooky vampires! (Full album is here.)

Stay Awhile and Listen: (Optional musical accompaniment: one, two)

:drac: My Brides, attend me! I repair now to London, as a conquering fiend! You shall maintain this castle and keep my Szgany subjects in line during my absence. We shall feast of innocent blood upon my return!

:sparkles: Yeah, about that.... We've decided we're going freelance.

:drac: Freelance? What rahat is this? You are my Brides!

:sparkles: I wish we were your brides, so we could divorce your dead rear end. We know you're just chasing after some other chippie in London, and if you think we're going to set up another bedchamber for her--

:drac: What business is it of yours what I do in my spare time? I raised you from death into glorious un-life! Jealousy does not become the Nosferatu!

:sparkles: We're not jealous. You're not satisfying enough to make us jealous. We're fed up, is what we are. You control our every move, you never let us go out on our own. You feed us babies, ferchrissake. Gross. And these clothes--Mircalla, what did you say about the empire waistline?

;-* That it's a crime against fashion and makes women look like chess pawns?

:sparkles: Thank you. These flimsy gowns are just embarrassing. If you'd give us a reasonable stipend, so we could buy some outfits that are a little more en vogue, maybe we could do our own hunting for a change. You know, pull our weight around here.

:drac: Your own hunting?! Nebunie! I forbid this! We must maintain the secrecy of our unholy nature!

:sparkles: Which is exactly what we're talking about. We could blend in, be stealthy, hunt in secret. But to hide in plain sight--like you're somehow able to do, in your outlandish getup--we need to look like normal modern human women. Not frickin' Ligeia. And it would be nice to know you trusted us enough to handle ourselves. We're not stupid, you know.

:j: You know what? I bet we'd really clean up in America.

:drac: What?!

:sparkles: Yeah, good thinking, Erszebet! They've got that whole frontier, haven't they? They're not shrinking violets out West--the women need to be tough as nails to make it out there. Plus, there's wild animals, wolves, pumas, all sorts of creatures to cover the fang marks on our victims....

:drac: This is madness! Who has put such prosteşti ideas in your heads? I forbid you to speak further of this!

:sparkles: See, there's that word again. "Forbid." Well, I've got news for you, your undead majesty: We don't need you to forbid us from exercising our free will any longer. We've been reading our Brontë sisters, our George Eliot, our Mary Wollstonecraft--we've been putting ideas into our own heads, and the idea we have brewing right now is "Let's ditch this entitled, dead-from-the-neck-up jerk and go our own way." So this is how it's going to be: We're going to snack on that scrawny Englishman you've got chained up in the tower; we're going to hock some of these hoary old antiques for spending money; and we're going to hop the night train out of Bucharest.

:drac: SILENCE! Enough of this useless talk of womanly independence. You will remain in this castle, and you will obey my--wait, where are you going? Stop! Come back! I command you to stop! You cannot walk away from me! I am DRACÚL!!!

:sparkles: Oh, cram it, Vlad. Let's go, ladies.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I love you guys. :)

I'm also...poo poo, I'm super late!
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following for November: (2) Ghasts! Reaper Bones, 28mm, unbased, unprimed, I haven't even bothered with boiling them or taking the frickin' mold lines off yet.

Kinda phoning it in this month; holidays, y'know. I might add something a bit later if time permits, but right now I'm more interested in just staying at least somewhat active than in scoring points.

(Unrelated: I'm really looking forward to seeing a full army shot of KingMob's Death Guard when they're finished; the scheme so far is really vibrant and striking. And...clean? Is that the wrong word to describe a Nurgle army?)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete, I guess!

There's...sort of weathering on their hands and feet, in the form of some slapped-on Typhus Corrosion (also some splashes of Blood For The Blood God). Hopefully this will meet the Jurnal requirement; if not, oh well. I'm posting these a bit early and slightly underbaked; I neglected to budget in time around an out-of-town trip this month (whoops).
One thing I can say about these minis is, if you need quick, easy ghoul figures, the Bones Ghasts are pretty terrific. Most of the active painting took about an hour to complete, thanks to the copious nooks and crannies all over the figures. Fast undeads for cheap!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for December: (1) Skorg Ironskull, Fire Giant King!

28mm, Reaper Bones, unprimed but with a bit of greenstuff filling some gaps. (There were supposed to be two of the chains dangling from his belt, but one was missing from the package and my attempts to press-mold a duplicate ended in ludicrous failures, so screw it, he's just got the one chain, he's the king, he'll do what he wants with fashion.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Happy New Year, Oath Thread! Also, Oath Complete!

I'm going with the snowy base for the Jurnal this month. (Also, I have got to find a better way to photograph the gems; they're so much more brilliant irl and something about my light kit is washing them completely out, especially the red ones.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, for the insanely cold month of January, oath to paint (1) Owlbear!. I also unexpectedly oath: The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Both 28mm; the owlbear is Reaper Bonesium, and the Pythons are resin from Victoria Miniatures. No primer yet. (Also, support Victoria Miniatures! I randomly met Victoria Lamb at Adepticon '17 as she was working the floor at the Reaper booth; she's really down-to-earth and friendly, and her sculpts are fantastic.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

And going for the Journal, here are three of the (umm...four) work-in-progress pics I took!

The complete album, including more details of each step I photographed in the process, can be found here.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for February: these (5) dead guys!

All 28mm Reaper Bones. Left to right: Barrow Warden 2; Ghost King; Arrius, Skeletal Warrior; Barrow Warden 1; Whispering Tyrant. All zenithal primed.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:skeltal: Oath Complete! :skeltal:
Five 80's-action-figure-looking skelebros!

The monthly Challenge is the blood on their weapons. Their hearts may have stopped, but they still bleed for you.

I'm also claiming Take One for the Team, as they're meant to be a unified team of dead bads; and A Recipe for Success for the listing below!

These are the various paints, etc. that I've used on these models (a.k.a. A Recipe for Success, a.k.a. Every Paint Within 30 Feet):

Base
Golden Crackle Medium
Vallejo Black Lava
Vallejo Sandy Paste

Primer
Reaper Stynylrez Polyurethane Primers
(black, grey, and white)

Technical/Mediums
Citadel Lahmian Medium
Vallejo Glaze Medium

Paints
Army Painter Matt Black
Citadel Bloodletter Glaze
Citadel Celestra Grey
Citadel Naggaroth Night
Citadel Necron Compound Dry
Citadel Rakarth Flesh
Citadel Waywatcher Green Glaze
Privateer Press Cryx Bane Highlight
Privateer Press Cygnus Yellow
Privateer Press Gun Corps Brown
Privateer Press Rucksack Tan
Privateer Press Traitor Green
Vallejo Game Air Alien Purple
Vallejo Game Air Charred Brown
Vallejo Game Air Brassy Brass
Vallejo Game Air Glorious Gold
Vallejo Game Color Wolf Grey
Vallejo Metal Air Gun
Vallejo Metal Color Burnt Iron
Vallejo Metal Color Magnesium
Vallejo Model Color Black Grey
Vallejo Model Color Black Red
Vallejo Model Color Pale Sand
Vallejo Model Color Silver Grey

Washes
Army Painter Purple Tone
Citadel Agrax Earthshade
Citadel Athonian Camoshade
Citadel Nuln Oil
Citadel Nuln Oil Gloss

Effects
Citadel Blood for the Blood God
Citadel Nihilakh Oxide
Citadel Ryza Rust
Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow
Homebrew Snow Paste:
+ Elmer's White Glue
+ Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow
+ Privateer Press Frostbite
+ Citadel Skull White

Bonus Musical Accompaniment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO8oowJ67a4

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following for March: (11) Martian Team Members for DreadBall! The team consists of (2) Guards, (4) Jacks, (2) Strikers, (1) Coaching Assistant, and (2) Injured Players. 28mm board-game-type plastic (unprimed) from Mantic Games. (Those little blobs of clear plastic by their feet are their dome helmets.)
Also: (1) Dwarf Bard! This mini comes from Hero Forge, made of their 3D printed "premium plastic" SLA resin, 28mm. (He's zenithal primed.)

DreadBall™, the Martian Red Planets™, Sports™ in general, and all related imagery and merchandise © 2539 The Galactic Co-Prosperity Sphere LLC Inc. All rights contained in perpetuity. Void in event of {REDACTED}

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

Martians both without helmets...

...and with. (I can't decide which I like better, especially since the helmet just doesn't fit on the guy in the purple robe. I might go with a mix of helmeted and bare-headed.)

The monthly Challenge of battle damage (I'm Gonna Wreck It!) comes in the form of these KO'd players. This appears on the models as a callback to last month's blood effects (made with Nurgle's Rot and green ink), and the smashed bits of helmet around their bases.
(If alcohol abuse counts as battle damage, we could also include the spilled beer and wine on the bard's base.)

The full album is here.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint the following miniatures for April: (6) Halfling Soldiers from Westfalia Miniatures, and (7) Cursed Treasures from Ristul's Extraordinary Market!

The Halflings are zenithal primed, treasure is bare resin.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: Oath Complete! :frogsiren:

For the freehand challenge, I did these two lovely clay pots. (I also attempted to put a fantasy-SHIELD logo onto Hobbit Nick Fury's shield, but A} it kinda sucked and B} I couldn't get a good angle on it, so gently caress it.)

And for All Together Now!, I present the following models that I've painted over the past year:
Front Row: Fat Yuan Yuan, Griffin, Halfling w/ Banner, Orc Drummer, 2 Frost Giants, 3 Halflings (Scribe, Sorcerer, Bugler)
Row 2: Ghost, Fire Mage, Flaming Sphere, Lich Lord, Priestess, Dracula, 3 Vampire Brides, 2 Ghasts, Fire Giant
Row 3: Owlbear Rampant, 3 Spanish Inquisitors, 5 Dead Dudes, 11 Martian athletes
Back Row: Drunken Dwarf Bard, 6 Halflings (1 Knight, 3 Bowmen, 1 Crossbowman, 1 Grizzled Veteran), 7 Cursed Treasures
(Full album is here. Apologies for some blurry pics, I'm super tired.)

Thanks to all the judges for hosting, and to all the artists for another great season!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

We're still looking for Judges for next season, so if anyone would like to volunteer let me know!

I might be able to help out with that; let me know! (I mean, I don't have a visual arts background or anything and my skillset mostly consists of "ooo that's pretty," but if you need someone, I could help.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
...dang it, I forgot to claim the Get the Crystal for this month's oath (treasure tokens). Oh well.

• Locked thread