Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, Oath for the month of May 2 Kaachika by Dark Age (28ish mm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

Mild purple cyborg nudity so :nws: if you work in a schoolmarm factory

I got my hands on some milliput and forgot that youtube tutorials and sandpaper were things until after I sculpted the bases and attached the minis, so they look a bit iffy. Oh well!

Here's a picture of them with their leader who I forgot to take an oath picture of before starting to paint.

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Complete!

Claiming the Flying Start challenge for the Gargoyle, and A faithful replica for both.

EDIT: And Monster Mayhem for both if I can? They're around dreadnaught size.

The verdigris on that gargoyle is great!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath these 3 Salt Flat Nomad Herders from Dark Age (28mm) for the Month of June

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath addition, 1 Dust Bull by Dark Age (28mm)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

I was gonna add some finishing touches on the herders for the flag theme and maybe repaint the bull (and get a cleaner picture :v:), but life happened. Still claiming the Take one for the team achievement.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Mage Knight Storm Golem by Wizkids (28mm) for the month of July

I thought the month's theme would be a good time to paint the other Mage Knight I held onto. It's a prepaint, hence the bit of color already on it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath addition: 3 Malifaux Oxfordian Mages (32mm) by Wyrd

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

First off is the Storm Golem. This was my first time trying a "lightning" effect and I think it came out kind of meh. Oh well. Here's what the factory paint job looks like.

Painting the mages was a lot of fun, although I don't think I sold the blood effect on the blood guy that well. The other two were my first tries at OSL.

I forgot to oath the rest of the Ironsides box, but here it is if anyone is interested. Claiming Time To Shine for the shiny robut and OSL on the mages. Also claiming The Daily Double for the floating mage. He meets A Flying Start and Free(hand) as a bird for the magic runes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath for the month of August 1 Banasuva (32mm) by Wyrd.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Addition, 1 Kandara by Wyrd

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

Claiming feeling the heat for the fire on Banasuva.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Kukulkani Honor Guard by Dark Age for the month of September

Just realized I hadn't oathed any of the stuff I had been painting this month.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

I kind of half assed this one because I'm not wild about the model. It grew on me while I was painting it, but I still couldn't figure out what to do with his big weird buck toothed skull head.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath to paint two Kukulkani Honored Dead (32mm Dark Age) for October

I always love well done space-hexagons :stwoon:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

These guys' lovely posture made them hard to photograph! Also I'm a bad photographer. Claiming the [monthly challenge because they're some sort of cyber zombies.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I The Moon Monster oath 1 Dark Age Kukulkani War Captain for the month of November.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I The Moon Monster oath 1 Dark Age Kukulkani War Captain for the month of November.

Oath Complete

Claiming Need for Speed so here's my after image:

Also claiming the monthly challenge for the verdigris on his metal bits (which I can never get to show up in pictures very well).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, pledge to paint 3x Alt Ice Gamin and 1 Alt Snowstorm by Wyrd games for the month of December

I meant to paint the entire box for July but they had some production problems which delayed shipping by 3 weeks and I just got them. Might add some more if I finish these.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

I tried the baking soda and PVA glue snow method. I might have to get some actual snow flock next time...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath to paint 1 Festivus Arborius by Wyrd for the month of January.

This was probably a uniquely bad mini for my first shot at brush priming but it seems to have worked ok.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete, timely, right?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 demigod of Athena by Crocodile Games for the month of February

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 demigod of Athena by Crocodile Games for the month of February

Oath Complete

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Rasputina by Malifaux for the month of March.

In four sub-assemblies for reasons. One of the pieces of her magic spiral was cast in a darker material, hence the multiple colors.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath addition, 1 alt Wendigo (comprised of 3 tiny minis) by Wyrd games

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

Just for fun, here's a picture of the whole crew, which is too big for my printed out backdrop. Merry Christmas!

For the recipe for success achievement:

1: Base coated leggings with VMC ivory, Santa suit with VMC Hull red, and cape + cowl with VMC camo green. I thought it was freehand month so I did a diamond pattern on the right leg with VMC neutral green and a stripe pattern on the left leg with VMC flat red.

2. For the skin I basecoated with VGC tan, then mixed in some VMC basic fleshtone for highlights.

3. I highlighted the greens with neutral green and mixed in some yellow for the highest points. For the reds I highlighted with flat red and mixed in some scarlet for the high points. I basecoated the leather with VMC german camo black brown and the metals with VMC desert yellow.

4. I edge highlighted the leather with desert yellow and covered the metals with VGC brassy brass and highlighted with VGC glorious gold. It looks like I also must have done a wash in there using Army Painter strong tone.

5. I did a snowflake design on the cape using VMC white and VMC sky blue.

6. For her snowy magic I basecoated with VMC sky blue (stuff dries waaay darker than it goes one) then built up the highlights by mixing in white.

7. Assembling this thing was a pain. I couldn't get everything to fit together quite right, which was a problem since her right hand is attached to her magic swirl rather than her wrist. So I cut the key on her foot and swirl down a bit, put a layer of milliput in the sockets and glued her on to that. I'm pretty pleased with how well it seemed to work.

Stuff I forgot to take WIP photos of: For the ice crystals I painted each face with a gradient of sky blue at the bottom and a 1:1 mix of sky blue and VMC dark prussian blue at the top. Then I edge highlighted with white. I also must have touched up the patterns on her leggings at some point because they look pretty garbo in these WIP photos but pretty nice on the finished mini. The snow on her base is roughly a 2:1:1 mix of baking soda, Elmer's glue, and white paint.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Naigubu from Bushido by GCT Studios for the month of April

Something fancy for the final month

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

I got kind of burnt out on this guy and moved on to other stuff before I could really do freehand in earnest. Oh well, I'm happy with the painting I did do on him at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

Quick and dirty to take a break from a longer project I've been working on.

It's hard finding the right angle to photograph this guy from, maybe I should have posed the spear differently...

edit: woops, wrong thread

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 24, 2018

• Locked thread