Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PureEvil6_13 posted:

On the way back to the airport I act like I'm all for trying a long distance thing with this girl, but right before she gets on the plane I tell her I want to try again with my ex. She gets on the plane in tears.
My ex comes down the next weekend and explains that she didn't really want to get back together, but she didn't want me to be with anyone else either. Serves me right.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xarthor posted:

I've had a few awful dates in my time. Here's one I consider a 50/50 her/my fault:

I was fresh out of a long term relationship and wasn't looking for anything serious. I met this girl on OKC and her profile was pics of her partying at clubs and out with her friends and her profile mentioned how much she liked to go out and dance and stay out late and poo poo. She was cute too.

So I asked her to grab drinks at a bar across town and we agreed to meet up. I got to the bar about half an hour early for some reason so I ordered a bourbon and coke to take the edge off my nerves. This was probably a poor decision on my part because I hadn't eaten much that day, but I digress.

She sent me a text message that she was running late because there was a big accident on the highway and she's be late, so I said no big deal and ordered another bourbon.

I finished the second bourbon right about the time she showed up. And of course because it was OKC she was about 20 lbs heavier than any of her pictures and she was dressed like a librarian. She ordered a beer and I ordered another bourbon and I asked her about what she had been up to lately, if she had found any cool new bars or clubs or night spots and she told me how actually her friend wrote her profile for her and how she more enjoyed staying in and reading most weekends.

I don't remember much else of the night except that I was drunk, laughing way too hard at my own jokes, and literally SLAMMING my palm on the wooden table to emphasize the punchlines to my amusing anecdotes with which I was regaling her.

There was no second date.

This is why I hate when people advise others to play up their profile to make them seem like a person they aren't. You'll always see advice like "take pictures of you out at parties and cool places" and telling people NOT to admit they like stuff at home, always to make themselves seem adventurous and out going.

This is the result.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elsa posted:

way to turn down random sex dummy

Eh, you'd be surprised. I had the exact same scenario but just with more elapsed time. Went on a date, nothing really happened for a while, then she contacts out of the blue a few months later. Even asked if I was seeing anyone. So yeah I immediately assumed that since our date she had bad luck in the dating scene and was slinking back for a remorseful hookup, which is something I would have shamefully indulged unlike this guy.

HOWEVER, further investigation revealed that she was not looking for sex, or even a date. She said she wanted to be friends (specifically, friends) because she "needed male perspective in her life". I was immediately reminded of a dude in one her profile pictures who she said was her (former?) "gay best friend". So I had to take it the facts of the situation.

1) Specifically stated "friends only".
2) Lives 30-45 minutes away in a lovely, hot town.
3) Few common interests.
4) The situation seems to suggest a psychological void that I'd be expected to fill (bad business).
5) The fact that I thought she was really hot would complicate point 1 significantly.
6) The spectre of the gay best friend.

I said "sure, we can be friends" and there has been zero communication in either direction since that (several weeks ago).

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

new phone who dis posted:

I ended up friends with someone I internet dated and fooled around with a little. We talk about our other internet dates mostly on the phone sporadically. It's not that bad.

I'm actually ok with platonic female friends. But like I said this one it was kind of weird (distance + lack of common interests + "need male perspective"). That's why I just gave in a minimal effort "ok we can be friends" without followup. But I mean she didn't follow up either, so as Sean Murray would say: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elsa posted:

dudes ghost women all the time and then get in contact out of the blue. Do the right thing and put out. Unless it's a broadcasted friend request. There's a chance it's just that she's not a ho and wants to hook up but can't say so up front.

lol what happened to forgiveness??!!

No, that's what I am saying. It is exactly as you describe. It was broadcasted specifically as a platonic friend request. I also thought it was a "want to hookup but don't wanna say it" situation at first. If that was the case I would put out. I'm not gonna regale details of the whole conversation but suffice to say that was NOT the case. I did my due diligence.

I don't hold anything against her either way.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elsa posted:

did you confirm with a dick pic at least!??

Oh my god that's where I went wrong!!!

Didn't send her the D!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elsa posted:

still have her number??

I'm gonna put on bow on it and say it's a picture of [my name]. It will be funny because it will imply I named my dick after myself, and doubly funny because she has the same name too.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 27, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

your strategy works better though, i think i am going to try that. just say "sure" then ignore them. much less effort

I have Sicilian ancestry, my strategy is always flawless!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MC Hawking posted:

Turned out she was a plus size model

Give her my number.

MC Hawking posted:

most of what she wanted to talk about was "#blacklivesmatter" protests.

Don't give her my number.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hal_2005: "The Haier of the West"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
God drat, son!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Radical and BADical! posted:

That was an awesome story.

My worst dating story was an OK cupid date (who we will call Melanie from here on out) who basically lied to me about being interested in dating me and manipulated me into going on a date with her. I didn't know I was being manipulated at the time, I thought Melanie was just very, very interested when she favorited me, sent me a long written message and DM'ed me as soon as I came online. What I did not know was that she was friends with a woman (who we will call Lindsay) who I had gone on an ok cupid date with like 6 months prior and kinda made a fool out of myself in front of. Everything she was doing was part of a joke at my expense, including the date.

I never got a straight story from her about why they did this, but I guess they were browsing Ok cupid together one night, saw me on there and came up with a plan. For back story, the original date with Lindsay went well but I guess something went wrong because she tried to inexpertly ghost me and lied about it. I wasn't aware of her plans to ghost but I googled her (because I was pretty crazy and insecure at the time but I also wanted to see if there were any red flags floating around about her) and found out she lied about deactivating her social media accounts (which is what she told me she was going to do-the story was she didn't want to date or interact with friends because she was loving up in school). I asked her about it. She made some excuses and I was like "Don't bother adding me to anything, I'm pretty aware of the fact that I'm more interested than you are. Bye." I was kind of hurt but I understood. I also realized that my reaction was utterly pathetic, so I deactivated my OK Cupid to work on myself some more.

I reactivated OK cupid 6 months later. I had lost more weight and was feeling good about myself but I was still desperately lonely so I decided to give it another shot because I am a loving stupid moron. Cue Melanie flirting with me. Basically, over the course of several long messages and chat sessions, she convinced me she was really interested and pressured me into a date about a week later. I didn't really want to go on the date because, while I was interested in having said date, the day she picked was a bad day logistics wise and also there were some warning alarms about they way this woman was just soooooo sooooooo interested and pushy for it to happen. Most people would be like "naw, man, she just really digs you" but it had never once happened in my life so I was already somewhat suspicious, sadly. So we have the date and it goes amazingly, lots of chemistry, no awkward silences, we both laughed the entire time. I even was like "So, want to do it again sometime" and she hesitated just a microsecond before saying "Sure!" but it was noticeable. I ignored it and went home thinking everything was cool.

I saw her online the next night and messaged her to chat and maybe set up the second date which is when she informed me of her friendship with Lindsay. It went something like this:

Melanie: Oh, and my friend Lindsay is here, by the way. I believe you know her.
Me: oh poo poo
Melanie: We're both laughing.
Me: It's not that funny to me. Why is it funny?
Melanie: The room is filled with guffaws. <---yes, she used the word guffaws, not making that up
Me: I made a huge fool out of myself in front of Lindsay. I'm so goddamn embarrassed right now
Melanie: She says no (like, Lindsay said something to her that I didn't really embarrass myself but I was like shaking with despair and self-loathing at that point so I didn't believe it). Be confident.
Me: I'm confident that I am sick to my stomach. I need to lay down.
Melanie: Well, that is a type of confidence I guess. Well, we're gonna go out now and then I'm going on a trip to Europe, be back in a week. See you later.

So, I decided to take her advice and just be confident, just in case I was reading the situation wrongly. I have a history of women...well, girls really...doing some pretty manipulative and cruel things to me, and a really dark part of me truly believed that women were pretty callous and cruel in general and I didn't want to believe that it was happening again So i resolved to just think "heh, good joke, you got me" and message her when she came back from her trip. A week later, she comes back from wherever she went and comes online. I message her and she never responds so I just deactivated my account and never looked back.

Yep, I felt pretty lovely about that one and I never really found out if it was just them not realizing how their little "joke" would look to me or if they truly meant it to be harmless and I just projected a lot of my own feelings of inadequacy in there. It's loving stupid but I sometimes feel really sad thinking about it even though it happened almost ten years ago now.

Had a little trouble following this tbh, but I don't know it kind of seems like it was tacking a different tack at the end? Like the story as recounted implies to me that maybe it started as a prank but by the end she was a like "actually this dude is cool, ima date him instead of pranking him as originally intended and my friend is cool with that". But I get that you were having a meltdown lie down during the conversation so the original words and intents may be obscured.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just lol if your immediate reaction to a strange sexual request is anything but "will this make a good post???"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Radical and BADical! posted:

Yeah you've got me there, lol. Never really thought of it that way. Honestly, I did post that to get some other perspectives because it is a mystery to me. There is a giant chance it was all innocent but it seriously looked terrible from my perspective. Then again, she never responded so...? No one will ever know.

Maybe she didn't respond because when she was trying to explain the funny coincidence and/or intended-prank-turned-attraction you instead started melting down in real time told her you felt sick.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I really is unbelievable how common it is for dudes to go through their younger years wondering why girls don't like them, never realizing the multiple opportunities that were staring them in the face.

I spent my whole high school years looking at the hot, popular girls from afar. If I hadn't been a complete retard I would have spent those years chilling with the chubby girl who liked to smoke weed and watch Star Trek, two things she directly told me she liked in what should have been the most obvious invitation ever. Or the freckled girl who kept hanging around me at lunch and wondering what I was doing on the weekends (until she got a boyfriend). Or the dancer girl who told me two weeks before prom that she didn't have a date. Instead I spent the whole time feeling alone and miserable, wondering why Popular Cheerleader wasn't interested.

At least as little happy ending I got to spend Senior's Night (an at-school party thing for all the graduated seniors, took place after prom, only a day or two before graduation) with dancer girl. We crossed paths at the event unplanned and somehow despite my incredibly thick head the unspoken message finally came across. We stuck to each other the whole night having fun. Nothing sexual and we never saw each other again, but a good memory.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 30, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

remigious posted:

Went on a date with a 32 year old man that was obsessed with pokemon. I like pokemon too, so whatever, I thought we would have a few friendly battles. Well he hit me with his EV trained Azumarill and said, "I like this one because it looks like it's raping you." Urgh I loving cringe thinking about the idiot situations I put myself in as a lonely single lady :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Universe Master posted:

an anime lover called you creepy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

men are peepee doodoo

Pick dialogue indistinguishable from "pickle pee, pump-a-rum" a gimmick character who is literally a shrill bird.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Machai posted:

Ah, hello! You don't look Male, far from it!
I am Solaire of Amazonia, an adherent of the Lady of Sunlight.
Now that I am peepee doodoo, I have come to this great land, the birthplace of Lady Pick, to seek my very own fur suit!
… Do you find that strange? Well, you should!
No need to hide your reaction. I get that look all the time!
Hah hah hah!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jesse Ventura posted:

also that dating anecdote switches several times between past and present tense, which is nearly as annoying

I tell all of my stories as if I was undergoing Titanfall 2 style rapid time warp.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rough Lobster posted:

One day out of the blue the car dude IMs me to apologize for his weird behavior trying to sabotage the relationship and that it was all due to these feelings of affection that he couldn't ignore. I told him no hard feelings and that it took big guts to say that. I apologized if I had come off jerkish to him at any point and I figured we were good...until he says that now she's gone, if I ever want to mess around with a guy I should give him a call. Turns out I had completely misread the situation and he had had a thing for ME the whole time.

Wow what a twist ending!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Later I come to find out she thought my mom was my new girlfriend and was embarrassed. Confusion and inability to read ages outside of your ethnic group runs both ways.

Maybe she just thought you were a milf hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fartbox posted:

When did loving girls in the rear end become such a prized thing

butts are where poops come from

It just doesn't make no gat dang SENSE.

• Locked thread