Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Alien Swarm Reactive Drop is a rerelease of the free top-down cooperative shooter "Alien Swarm", available on Steam now. Like the original title, the cost of entry is nothing.

New features include Workshop support, official player cap support raised to 8 (though some servers have raised it to 32), "Challenges" which function like mutators or modifiers in other games, and competitive multiplayer, (because why not, I guess.)

Alien Swarm takes a lot of cues from Left 4 Dead. While you won't be knocking aliens off each other, keeping your guns trained on the enemy and not each other is crucial. Friendly fire is always on.

At the start of each mission, players choose a character. There are two per class, with each class having some weapons and gear exclusive to them. Additionally, each character does certain things better than the other character in their class. So while one medic is better at healing, the other can defend himself better.

Persistent leveling unlocks new toys for all classes, with one level associated with everything. No need to grind out XP for the medic, and then the technician. Just play the game.

There's already tons more content than the original game ever had, with several campaigns included in the base download along with the original "Jacob's Rest". servers are abundant with a variety of setups, and the playerbase is comprised of a pretty decent mix of veterans and new players.

Sdoots fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Never heard or played of this but it gives me shades of Helldivers with the co-op play and friendly fire, and the Housemarque game Alienation for its overall aesthetic.

It looks like the reviews are extremely positive but I have to ask, what's the hook for it being free? Where do the transactions come in and what is it used for?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

MinibarMatchman posted:

Never heard or played of this but it gives me shades of Helldivers with the co-op play and friendly fire, and the Housemarque game Alienation for its overall aesthetic.

It looks like the reviews are extremely positive but I have to ask, what's the hook for it being free? Where do the transactions come in and what is it used for?

There aren't any transactions.

For what it's worth, just about every aspect of this game that could be ripped from the base Source assets, has been. While it's certainly not slapped together, they didn't spend the time making a ton of new assets that you might think.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The original Alien Swarm was a mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 that Valve ended up hired the developers to work on Left 4 Dead and Portal 2. In-between those project the devs made Alien Swarm sort of as a free "Hey this is what we can do with the Source Engine" type thing while also releasing the SDK for people to play around with. (And it got you a hat in TF2).

This game is free since its basically a bunch of Valve devs pet project. Hopefully some new weapons also get modded in.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
IIRC, the original Steam Alien Swarm was made by a Valve team so they could afford to release a basic little top-down shooter for free.

e:fb

1stGear fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 24, 2017

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Aw, poo poo. I knew I forgot something. There's a Desert Eagle now, and I think one or two other new weapons. I also already saw a mod on the workshop for something called "Energy Weapons" which was getting some traction.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The Space Marine Mods are already starting to pop up and soon there will be a Total Conversion to Warhammer 40K.

What are some of the top rated campaigns? Has any one tested out the bots for single player?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I played a little bit of Lana's Escape last night, and what I saw of it seemed pretty good. It's still super early in Reactive Drop's lifespan, I'm kind of amazed there are any custom campaigns available already.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sdoots posted:

I played a little bit of Lana's Escape last night, and what I saw of it seemed pretty good. It's still super early in Reactive Drop's lifespan, I'm kind of amazed there are any custom campaigns available already.

To be fair, I think a lot of these campaigns were made for the regular Alien Swarm. Reactive Drop's also had a bunch of non-Steam versions before this too.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
The added workshop content for this is fairly good, and its still as fun as it was when they launched the original. I have been having a blast playing this again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is this also by a Valve team or did a new group up and release it?

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Its still a Valve thing, but theres a bunch of third party campaigns available via the workshop. Some of them are bad, some are surprisingly good.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I usually play as Vega. Lana's Escape was an hour-long exercise in herding cats. Please add me on steam so I don't have to play with pubs. http://steamcommunity.com/id/miltonr

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
If you think a deaf dog is better than a cat add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Habituallyred

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Friendly Reminder - There is an Alien Swarm Goons group out there: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/alienswarmgoons

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

do people still play this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i will never uninstall it

• Locked thread