Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Who knew a game of checkers could be so intense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I like the idea that Gaiman or the other show writers are going to show new stories about the gods than what we had in the books. As much as I'd be interested in seeing the visual representation of some of them I think I like the idea of different tanks on what they are or where they come from than we already had in the books.

That is assuming the Anansi story isn't just a one off.

nessin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 8, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Show owns

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

It really does

Gonna need a gif of Cloris Leachman chugging that bottle of vodka

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Axel Serenity posted:

It really does

Gonna need a gif of Cloris Leachman chugging that bottle of vodka

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Excellent. Thank you.

I'm really impressed by the whole cast, really. I like the Whittle is giving Shadow some personality, since I don't remember him having much of one at all in the book. It's nice Gaiman and Fuller want to give all these side characters a little more room to breath, too, since you don't cast someone like Gillian Anderson and then just leave her in one scene. I'm really excited to see what new stuff they do with her, Czernobog, and the others.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can't watch the new episode for a few days but do we see Lucy's tits?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Axel Serenity posted:

Excellent. Thank you.

I'm really impressed by the whole cast, really. I like the Whittle is giving Shadow some personality, since I don't remember him having much of one at all in the book. It's nice Gaiman and Fuller want to give all these side characters a little more room to breath, too, since you don't cast someone like Gillian Anderson and then just leave her in one scene. I'm really excited to see what new stuff they do with her, Czernobog, and the others.

Yeah, if they had stuck to Book Shadow then Whittle would have had very little to do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mameluke posted:

Can't watch the new episode for a few days but do we see Lucy's tits?

n o

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I have never watched the 100 series,so I'm totally unfamliar with Whittle. All I can say is he is a good Shadow, I'm loving it, and drat....the guy is hot as gently caress. :swoon:

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

:allears:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this is a loving good show

intro was awesome

cast is loving awesome

I read the book and by the end of this episode I was "WHAT gently caress NO COME ON", too drat short

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Compared to the first episode this one had a lot of the same types of music-to-action/food cues like it was a Hannibal episode, especially the blood in relation to Czernobog. Also the Anansi speech was amazing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

precision posted:

Yeah, if they had stuck to Book Shadow then Whittle would have had very little to do.

book shadow is so audience-insert everyman in a weird world that he almost has no agency (even worse in the novellas) and i'm happy whittle actually has a personality

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's odd that a lot of places seem to be taking Anansi's speech as a righteous call to arms to be inspired by, instead of a authority figure taking advantage for his own gain.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

LostRook posted:

It's odd that a lot of places seem to be taking Anansi's speech as a righteous call to arms to be inspired by, instead of a authority figure taking advantage for his own gain.

It can be both?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Exactly. It works because its both. Anansi didn't lie to them, he did tell the slaves the truth and he did help free them. But like the one slave asks, "if we burn the ship, don't we die too?" and he kinda hand waves it away and makes them angry enough they don't care, but at the end of the day he didn't save them; they were sacrificed to him.

That's Anansi. He's a trickster.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

The best lies contain a lot of truth.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

And the best tricksters don't tell any lies at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nobody noticed the fuckit parallel between the slaves in the opening and Shadow over the checkers game at the end?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oneiros posted:

And the best tricksters don't tell any lies at all.

Why bother lying when the truth is so much more believable?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
This is a bit pedantic, and I don't think it detracts from the show at all, but the very end of Anansi's scene potentially misrepresents how belief and gods work. In the book, we get a number of vignettes of otherwise-normal people coming to America and bringing with them their beliefs. So it struck me as a little odd when the Anansi-Spider crawled off the jetsam being portrayed as his "arrival." Certainly, of course, other people that brought his stories with them too.

Regardless, while I liked episode 1, episode 2 surpassed it in almost every way. I'm really surprised how fast they're moving through the book, especially knowing where the first season ends. Though it may just be that I read it leisurely over a good long while.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

This is a bit pedantic, and I don't think it detracts from the show at all, but the very end of Anansi's scene potentially misrepresents how belief and gods work. In the book, we get a number of vignettes of otherwise-normal people coming to America and bringing with them their beliefs. So it struck me as a little odd when the Anansi-Spider crawled off the jetsam being portrayed as his "arrival." Certainly, of course, other people that brought his stories with them too.

Regardless, while I liked episode 1, episode 2 surpassed it in almost every way. I'm really surprised how fast they're moving through the book, especially knowing where the first season ends. Though it may just be that I read it leisurely over a good long while.

Well, we don't know for sure whether that particular instance actually was his original arrival. After all, many slaves did make it to the shore. It could just be that his myth has been transported to America beforehand, and the spider was just his physical manifestation coming back from the ship.

Alternatively, it could have been more time-fuckery. Originally the slaves made it to shore as planned and brought with it the Anansi-myth. Then eventually Anansi goes back and makes it go up in flames instead, and the whole thing somehow works out because he just doesn't care about silly things like paradoxes.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
What a baller. For [Cloris Leachman] to turn 90 on the set of American Gods and Michael and I bringing her her birthday cake which said “I’m f–king 90” on it, at her request, was a career highlight.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZorajitZorajit posted:

none of the 'gods' obey any real mechanics other than they want/need/crave 'worship' in some form or other.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah. Go look up Vince Gilligan's original plan for Season 1 of Breaking Bad and realize that even smart people need to be reigned in and be told "that's really loving dumb, dude" sometimes.

Jesus Christ, he wanted to make Breaking Saw.

http://www.indiewire.com/2013/10/br...-freedom-93090/

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Normal Adult Human posted:

none of the 'gods' obey any real mechanics other than they want/need/crave 'worship' in some form or other.

That's fair. Certainly it doesn't break anything, but I had a different interpretation than the show implied. I don't want to pick apart the "rules" too much.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This show is pretty great and watchable and this thread is pretty bad and readable.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
How many boners per episode is this show averaging?

Czernoborg owns :black101:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really liked Anansi being a mixture of the old version of the god, a tarantula, and a modern man in a suit. I guess I won't comment on what I think about Stomare's character because everyone got upset last time. It's a bit frustrating that it goes so deep into one part of the story but we only get tiny snippets of other people. I'm not really interested in whatever the hell Bilquis or whoever is doing. But I want to know more about Anansi and Gillian Anderson's character.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The musical cue when they inserted the key into the lock, with the corresponding blend of aural and visual, made me laugh out loud.
:tviv:

This show is so loving good!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Cojawfee posted:

I really liked Anansi being a mixture of the old version of the god, a tarantula, and a modern man in a suit. I guess I won't comment on what I think about Stomare's character because everyone got upset last time. It's a bit frustrating that it goes so deep into one part of the story but we only get tiny snippets of other people. I'm not really interested in whatever the hell Bilquis or whoever is doing. But I want to know more about Anansi and Gillian Anderson's character.

Good news, Anansi and Gillian Anderson are supposed to have a good amount of screen time this season.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a strange situation when an ancient sex goddess is the most boring character on a show.

I'm also looking forward to more Anansi and Gillian Anderson.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I don't see any problem with it at all. They DID bring with them their beliefs! The slave on the ship starts begging Anansi to save him of his own will; that's their beliefs, being brought over.

The only issue I can possibly imagine you're taking with this is that the slaves died before they reached American soil, but who says gods follow the rules of soil? Dying in the bay and leaving their sacrificed corpses in the Carribean is probably plenty close enough to count as "America".

Its not "United States Gods"

The spider showing up at the end wasn't his arrival. You're misinterpreting. The slave ship was his arrival. The spider at the shore was just showing that Anansi survived. He got the whole ship to burn down, and they all died, and it made him strong, not weak. That's how the gods work. They can die as long as they aren't forgotten.

Cojawfee posted:

Its only episode 2 dude.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 8, 2017

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Axel Serenity posted:

Closing the dick pic only to have it transfer to the digital photo frame is such a ridiculously Gaiman thing, and I loved it

It wasn't digitally transferring to the photo frame, it was a metaphor. Shadow can't unsee it now.

In fairness neither can I, that was one big dick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dancer posted:

A still shot of an erect penis doing nothing would be considered "more explicit" than what we saw.

Welp! :)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Hey man, I like me some hard dick, I don't mind :P. Was just trying to interpret IMDB "explicitness" person.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
So I'm pretty bad at this whole TV watching thing, was space dick guy someone that bilquis vagina-gobbled and that's what happens to people when she eats them or was is just some space dick guy because hey why not?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

It was a representation of the sort of orgasm you would have with Bilquis,I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Ah okay that makes a little more sense than I was thinking since there weren't scores of people floating around in her space vagina. I guess there are worse was to go though!