Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
"This book that has to do with Gods has a guy named Low Key Liesmith that's such a regular name, I'm sure it doesn't mean anything!"

Like, I can't tell if you guys are joking about not picking up on it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

"Gallows humor"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

1stGear posted:

Even smart people have real dumb ideas frequently. The important part is that they listened to someone else and realized their idea was dumb.

Yeah. Go look up Vince Gilligan's original plan for Season 1 of Breaking Bad and realize that even smart people need to be reigned in and be told "that's really loving dumb, dude" sometimes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Show owns

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ymgve posted:

I found it on https://www.primevideo.com which seems to be a separate Amazon thing for the non-US market. Costs much less than Amazon Prime Video for some reason, bills in Euros, also got a trial there even though I already used one for Amazon Prime.

On a separate note, did they really need to screw up the gay sex scene with bad 90s CGI? That fire-cum scene looked like someone just learned Poser.

Only the fire was CGI, they covered their bodies in charcoal.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Only the fire was CGI, they covered their bodies in charcoal.

Just to reiterate I wasn't kidding here, they actually did this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Why was Anubis there? His scene ruled but I guess he's just another forgotten god?

In the preview for next week, Anubis is talking with Laura about being dead, so they probably wanted to introduce him before that

Interestingly, Fuller said that that scene was the original cold open of the entire show, not the Odin beach scene. They changed it because the network wanted them to start with something more masculine that still describes what's going on in the world. I think it was a good change, awesome as the Anubis scene was.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

So where did death come from the 2nd time? The dog die or did I miss Audrey dying somehow

How can you be this bad at watching TV?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

DentD posted:

To be fair. The first time Anubis showed up the woman wasn't shown falling off her stool. Until he pointed out the body we, the audience, weren't aware that she was dead.

I don't think his question was a dumb one. Chill out.

What's your point here? We didn't know she was dead yet, yeah, but then he takes her to the afterlife.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Anubis literally threatens to drag her into the darkness by putting her into the hot tub with bug spray how are you people so loving bad at watching tv?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

stereobreadsticks posted:

I just want to say that making the incarnation of the internet into a bratty privileged white kid who wears corn rows and can't understand why it looks bad to lynch a black guy is disturbingly timely and accurate.

Yeah I know a bunch of people were upset that he wasn't a pimply trench-coat wearing loser, but this Technical Boy is such an absolutely perfect personification of what the worst parts of the internet are now.

Everybody is just giving it their all for this show and it elevates the already fantastic visuals and atmosphere into something else. I love it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

When Shadow had his visions in the first episode the tree was reaching for him, so I'm sure it has something to do with that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The CGI was definitely done the way it was on purpose. It's meant to look like a storybook, the death of a god. Someone mentioned to me it reminded them of the Deathly Hallows animation in the Harry Potter movies.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Also saying Fuller released something so it's not a spoiler is not true, Fuller spoils every single one of his shows on Twitter all the time, he doesn't give a gently caress.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

He was saying that he needed power and gave up his wood for something more practical that could help him survive

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

stereobreadsticks posted:

Anyone else find it a little odd, possibly lazy, that at least one of the anti-immigrant militia members was holding a rosary? I mean, I get the point that both groups were Christians but anti-immigrant extremism in the US has almost always had anti-Catholic sentiments as a major part of their ideology. Of course, I'm not saying Catholics can't be anti-immigrant but the kind of people who would organize an actual death squad don't seem like they'd be too happy to allow Catholics into their club. It just seems like the writers wanted to make the point that both groups were Christians and used the rosary as a convenient symbol of that, either without realizing that it's a specifically Catholic symbol or without realizing the history of anti-Catholic bigotry in American nativist groups from the Know-Nothings to the KKK.

Also, I just had a thought, since Jesus is resurrected after three days, I wonder if that's going to be the justification for multiple Jesuses. Like, Mexican Jesus is killed by a militiaman, then three days later Black Jesus appears and is killed by an out of control cop. Then three days later Appalachian Hillbilly Jesus pops up and dies while saving someone from a Nascar crash.

No, I think crazy Christian idiots in Texas are absolutely forming death squads to kill the Mexican rapists coming into our country illegally.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sickening posted:

Who is odin? This more book poo poo?

Just because you didn't pick up on the glaringly obvious, explicitly stated things that are happening in the show doesn't mean it's "book poo poo."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

I think it's supposed to be less racial tension and more of a reflection of how insular Vulcan's America is (and how it's necessary to support him) and how Shadow doesn't 'fit' (more ideologically, less ethnically) into that version of America. Wednesday just doesn't give a gently caress and/or is above it, but because Shadow is super on edge, everyone else is on edge around him as a defense mechanism. Shadow is rejecting of Vulcan's America, so Vulcan fucks with Shadow.

Technical Boy alt account spotted

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Well it wasn't just the fact that they were neo-Nazis, it's the fact that the show explicitly said to gun-worshippers "gently caress you, your fetishes are what's ruining America and you are literally Nazis demanding human sacrifice by your hand."

I mean I agree with it but it makes sense they got upset.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

"Listen I love a gay muslim dick as much as the next guy, but then they started makin' fun of our second amendment!..."

Someone pointed out to me that they were probably okay with this scene because it confirms their beliefs that Muslim men are all gay cucks

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

As an Irish guy, the accents bugged the gently caress out of me in this one.

The older woman had a sort of west of Ireland accent and the young one had a sort of Dublin accent. They were both supposedly from Bantry in Cork which sounds nothing like either of the accents they were doing.

It's because it's an American show and Americans can't even tell the difference between an English accent and an Australian accent.

Not that that makes it better for native speakers, but that's the reason.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

this show was way bad except for individual acting being good for wednesday, czernobog, nancy, and jacquel. everything else was bad and dumb and unnecessary changes from the source material that made the show a lot less interesting than it could have been.

I read half the book (right where this season ends, actually) and stopped because it was boring poo poo. This show completely improved on the source material in every way and actually made it interesting.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Vorgen posted:

I can't get over how enamored Easter is of Odin's sword. He whips it out and she doesn't dismiss it, instead she cradles it and caresses it during their conversation, looking closely at the details of the blade and pommel. She can't even keep her hands off it when she's the one talking.

What I mean to say is that the lady loves a good sword. Also I'm in love.

It's his dick

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Also lmao of course some gods are one note, they're gods of SPECIFIC THINGS.
"Fuckin Ares, always talking about war and always shown fighting, what a dumb one-note character."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Wow, that was a giant pile of poo poo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

If you want more Sweeney watch a good show, The Wire, instead.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

It was explained in literally the next episode

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

gently caress. gently caress. Well, there goes a great show.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I mean it can still probably be a good show

I mean yeah, it COULD, but Fuller's style is so unique, and the first season was exploding with it. It'll be hard to emulate.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Dog Kisser posted:

So, does his absence really affect next season? Surely a lot of this is planned out and/or shot already.

Apparently they wrote half of the scripts for the season. No shooting had started. So yes, with a new showrunner it is going to be completely different.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I don’t have a link to the tweet but he said on Twitter he is absolutely not going to run two shows at once, but he’s going to be very close to the new showrunner like he did with Fuller.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

New showrunner announced, he worked with Fuller on Hannibal and Star Trek: Discovery

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/american-gods-hires-new-showrunner-season-2-1080813

Some interesting quotes in the article

quote:

Fuller and Green had already written the first six episodes of season two, with sources noting Fremantle planned to toss those scripts and start from scratch with Alexander. In addition to budget concerns, sources note Gaiman was also unhappy with the direction Fuller and Green planned to take season two as their vision was not a straight adaptation of his source material. Gaiman is said to have wanted a showrunner to come in and produce a straight take on his novel (which would include ignoring the cliffhanger from season one).

I’d uh, really not be very happy if it starts to follow the book more because all the changed stuff in season 1 was much better than the book stuff, especially everything with Laura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Doesn’t surprise me, lmao
Knew I should have went to Twitter first to see if he had said anything.