Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've been hyping myself up for this for like two years now. It did not disappoint, and I wish it was next Sunday already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Should there maybe be a separate spoiler/book readers thread, like for GoT? Or would that be an awful idea? It's been a while since I've read the books, but I could maybe throw something together in the next couple days

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I think we just did Greek myths in school, tbh.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

precision posted:

I was pretty certain that Shadow in the novel talks about his mom being black.

He does, but not til near the very end of the book, which is sort of a cool trick. All you really know about how he looks before that is that he's big.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

An old friend of mine was on the makeup and prosthetic team for this. Seeing what she (and a bunch of others, of course) did with Bilquis, Media, etc, make me extremely proud of her and I'm seriously wondering if she'll be going to the Emmy's. I'm also extremely jealous she got to meet all of these people, I think my head would explode

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

etalian posted:

The show doesn't have enough space dicks

Tbh, I'm just glad we have space dicks at all

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

By season three the show will be nothing but a field of dicks, standing as proud and multitudinous as American corn, and I hope it wins all the awards

I feel like I'm neglecting Better Call Saul with how much this show has monopolized that part of my brain

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

etalian posted:

0 episodes so far without dicks.

Thanks Starz

Did I miss a dick in the first episode?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

vermin posted:

"But if I go here, will I ever see my family again?"
"OH poo poo! SHE'S ONTO US!"

You're reading too much into it. Cats just really like pushing things off ledges.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I would happily watch The Many Adventures of Hob Gadling, myself

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

In case anyone was keeping track, we got another glimpse of penis this week. It was on a corpse in the morgue, but still counts and can be added to the tally

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It looked to me like the new tribe killed all the adults in the old one and only took the children in

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I think maybe we can take that sunrise scene at the end to be the presence of Allah, or at least Allah as Salim views him. Peaceful, warm, full of possibility, etc

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If Wednesday doesn't let at least one "cocksucker" fly over the course of the series I'm going to be very disappointed

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Possibly related, as much as I enjoy the movies, it bugs me that John Wick is known as Baba Yaga. She was a boogeywoman, dammit. And if they absolutely had to go with that name, they could've at least given him a mortar and pestle to cruise around in, or a sweet chicken leg house :colbert:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

You're not alone. I feel like they meant "Chernobog", since Baba Yaga is a witch queen and Chernobog is sort-of a devil figure. It just baffles me how that made it into the movie, unless it's a whole extra layer of meta. It's not like Chernobog sounds any less menacing when you grimace the word into a finger of scotch.

Slavic folklore just isn't that well-known, I guess. Hell, my heritage is exclusively eastern bloc countries, and the only reason I know anything about any of it is because my parents had this sweet Time-Life "Enchanted World" set that had a bunch of that stuff in it

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Lacey posted:

I wish Canada had some sweet mythological characters that could show up in American Gods and everyone could do bad Canadian accents

If they don't get the Kids in the Hall to play the Canadian pantheon I don't even know what this show is anymore

Though it may be too late for poor impaled Scott Thompson

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

John Wick is sooo much better than anything Tom Cruise does :colbert:. Or possibly not, but the series is stylish as gently caress and full of awesome actors. Including Ian McShane, so this derail isn't completely off-topic :v:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

John Wick and the Saint of Killers from Preacher should get into a gunfight so destructive that it'll end up killing every living person in the western hemisphere.

John Wick doesn't kill bystanders :colbert:

It occurs to me that Peter Stormare plays a scary Slavic fellow in both John Wick and American Gods. He and McShane are basically more successful versions of Czernobog and Wednesday in that universe, and probably used it for practice :3:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

Cabbage-head, The "I'm-squishing-your-head" guy, Buddy Cole, Chicken Lady, Simon and his manservant Hecubus. Any big ones I'm forgetting?

Girl Drink Drunk. I guess that was technically just the once, so maybe he's a demi-god or something

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Cathy and Kathy could be some kind of weird Greek chorus. Or maybe Rudy and the whores, I dunno

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

There are much, much worse ways to spend your time than rewatching Kids in the Hall

Dammit, I'm so bummed this show and Better Call Saul are both ending this week. Gonna have to find something to fill my couch time between now and Game of Thrones

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

vermin posted:

IMO watch Fargo

Yeah, between that and The Handmaid' s Tale it's probably time to pop my Hulu cherry

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If we're doing recommendations, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is a gorgeous and very strange movie that fans of this show will probably like a whole lot. Last I checked it was on Netflix

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

My boyfriend, who has seen Saving Private Ryan way more times than one person should, pointed out that he was also in Saving Private Ryan.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Bert Roberge posted:

Ostara was :3: as heck.

I loved how Shadow got kind of giggly and flustered around her :3:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

^I'm in Baltimore, a good chunk of the population here wears purple every Friday during football season, and we have a giant statue of Ray Lewis screaming to the heavens downtown. He's probably at least a demi god

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I want to see the gods based off sports teams

The relative success of cities' sports teams are used as a metric for those "Most Miserable Cities" lists (among other things, of course), sports gods could be really interesting with that taken into account.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 21, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

On the topic of sports gods, I used to bartend at a restaurant in a pretty wealthy part of town. Occasionally, John Mackey, who'd been a huge football hero in my dad's day, would stop by. By that point, however, he was suffering really, really horribly from concussion-related dementia. When he was having a good day, he was charming as hell; flirty with me and the other girls who worked there, happy to sign autographs or pose for pictures with people, just a really nice guy who obviously loved the attention. I even saw him let a little kid try on his Superbowl ring (which, no matter how far gone his mind was, he still remembered to wear every day) once, which was :3:

On his bad days, though, whoo boy. He'd be confused, loud, and angry, with a hair trigger temper that could be set off by just about anything. Even at his age and in his condition, he still cut an imposing figure, so it could be drat scary when he went off. The restaurant I worked in eventually had to ban him, because he was just so unpredictable. I thought it was a bit harsh, since I'd always liked the guy, but at that point the bad days outnumbered the good so it was understandable.

I left that job after a while, and didn't think of him much until I saw a memorial for him on the local news a few years ago, after he'd died. They of course showed footage of and interviews with him from his glory days, and compared to the man I'd known, it was heartbreaking. To some extent, he's kind of what I picture when I think of faded gods, especially theoretical sports ones.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 21, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Same thing happened with Brigid in Ireland, she'd been a Celtic goddess that the church basically just put a St. in front of to appease the locals

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Snak posted:

Of course it is, because Mary is there at Easter. Generated by people's worship. She wouldn't be there if people didn't worship her.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, but I realize I'm coming off that way.

I agree with almsit everything that's been said on this topic, I was simply pointing out why Catholics can say they don't worship Mary with a straight face.

This is not a show gives a poo poo about the definitions of things according to churches and cults. It's about the emergent nature and power of belief.

I once read a quote about how Jewish people sort of view their god as one who would respect/be proud of a bit of rules lawyering where religious laws and biblical interpretations are involved. As Judaism's direct descendant, it would make sense that there's a large degree of it in Catholicism as well. Can't say I disagree, tbh, and it makes for some of the cooler mystical bits of both religions. Protestantism is just so dry by comparison.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I like Bilquis, and would happily worship the disco version in particular.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If anyone's interested in costume design, Tom and Lorenzo have some write-ups about the show's style here. They can read a little too much into things, but their Mad Men style posts were overall great, so I'm glad they're giving this show the same treatment

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Aphrodite's been done, imo, and would probably be depicted as a boring blonde lady or something. I find Bilquis much more interesting.

Though it would've been neat if they'd included Aphrodite as Vulcan's hot, bored wife

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

How is being black or bisexual "edgy"?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

Also just catching up - Are we supposed to think that the widow Richardson murdered her nice husband John (seeing as she "swore she heard the Banshee cry the week before he died"), possibly by poisoning an apple?

Nah, that's just how banshees work. Hear 'em howling, you know someone's gonna die soon. Technically they're exclusively tied to noble Irish families, but maybe Essie qualified and by extent so did her husband

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Christ, just watch Percy Jackson or some poo poo. There's more to mythology than the Greeks.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

A few designers tried to make winged sandals a thing a few years back

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Pretty sure that sandals with wings attached are not functionally the same as winged sandals. More human hubris.

To be fair, everyone who bought a pair probably looked pretty dumb, which can maybe count as divine retribution

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 23, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I read a Christopher Pike book in like fifth grade that was about Greek goddesses possessing a couple modern day girls, or something? One of them tried to kill the other by putting ground up glass in hamburger meat, because nineties tween girl lit was :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Yeah, Mad Sweeney sees Essie in Laura.

Well, it does seem to be Essie's coin that's keeping Laura "alive"