Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Anansi is my co-pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

owns thanks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Luckily for Mad Sweeney Mythbusters did show that cursing helps deal with pain.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Why was that scene all weird CGI Avatar-looking people anyway? Was it supposed to be about early Americans, or was it supposed to be about supernatural beings? I legit don't know.

New people come to America over the Bering Strait with their mammoth god.

After suffering much hardship they eventually are forced to ditch the mammoth god for the indian's buffalo god and the guy who didn't want to change allegiance gets owned.

The whole point was how in the universe of American Gods, the gods aren't invincible and depend on followers to stay alive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

One very humanizing thing about Nunnyunnini in this segment was that it knew it would die, but allowed itself to be lost and forgotten in order to ensure that its followers survived. The gods are not all leeching assholes.

I think it's neat how at least the old gods like Anansi have relatable human elements while the new gods are basically creations on the millennial mind like tech boy being a forum troll.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sickening posted:

No. It seemed like the leader allowed herself to be sacrificed and then a male rejected the offer of food because he was upset.

Yeah he didn't want to convert to the new god and got wrecked by a hail of javelins as a result.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mad Sweeny aka Leprechaun Job is the real star of this show

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

need a gif of rear end in a top hat wife owning Mad Sweeny in the cab

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Caufman posted:

Wednesday's retirement package would have been swankier than Vulcan's, though. You definitely cannot buy off the allfather with a rustbelt town empty of busty blonde babes with veiny mammories.

It was a Zardoz approved town.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Still sad that mexican jesus wasn't portrayed by Danny Trejo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Well it wasn't just the fact that they were neo-Nazis, it's the fact that the show explicitly said to gun-worshippers "gently caress you, your fetishes are what's ruining America and you are literally Nazis demanding human sacrifice by your hand."

I mean I agree with it but it makes sense they got upset.

They would probably dream of living in Vulcan's town, raining guns and ammo, no scary thugs anywhere.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Luckily he used his main super power after getting gunned down by Vulcan's followers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another episode of Mad Sweeney getting owned

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Plucky Brit posted:

Mr World's statements in that episode were odd.

He's basically saying that the old gods will die out either through battle or through gradual neglect, and he doesn't care about them. I couldn't think of anything more likely to incite the old gods to war, particularly Ostara.

Well most of it due to how similar to the police station episode, the new gods see their victory as inevitable and think the old gods have to take the one side buyout deal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snak posted:

I liked that Jesus felt bad when he realized he'd stolen​ someone's holiday.

laughed at how Shadow almost made Jesus cry over stealing Ostara's holiday.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Normal Adult Human posted:

i am confident half of the thread still doesn't know.

They should be ashamed for not being experts in Norse mythology
:goonsay:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It kind of fits. The ancient gods actually were people. They were powerful, sure, but they lived down with mortals sometimes. Modern gods are personification of concepts and thus don't have any experience interacting directly with people.

It's probably why the old gods at least seem to be somewhat in touch with fundamental human needs, while the new gods include weirdos like a forum troll.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I want to see the gods based off sports teams

I would like to see the powerful god Ron Mexico

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqOukX1roHQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DoctorGonzo posted:

Odin said that he doesnt even needed to fight, just believe. Thats what activated Ostara god mode, he believed in she and now everyone needs to or there wont be easter anymore.

It was sacrificing Mr Worlds minions and have Ostara taking away spring was a way to show the new gods the olds gods still have power.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

double nine posted:

That said, the New Gods make some amazing powerpoint presentations.

Also minions doing ragtime dance routines

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mad Sweeney was the best S1 character.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope the season 1 penis doesn't decide to leave this show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think everyone can still agree that Mad Sweeney is the best character.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fartington Butts posted:

He was doing a revival of Amazing Stories for Apple. Verge article.

"Apple said last year that the company wouldn’t allow violence or nudity in its shows". Boy, they hired the wrong person then.

lol, the dick should have gotten in the credits list

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

I absolutely would.

...If I had unlimited money I didn't mind blowing through as fast as possible to make a really pretty tv show.

create jobs for CGI dick animators

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

precision posted:

So far this season has been more consistently entertaining on a scene to scene basis but without quite the highs of s1

Is it worth checking season 2 if I liked season 1 despite the rough spots?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This season would be redeemed if we got a "somewhere in America" with technical boy stuck in the last Radio Shack in America.

Or maybe at the last Blockbuster video?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SiKboy posted:

If you liked Season 1 of a show, why on earth would you not check out Season 2? Even if a show has had a spectacular nosedive in quality (alas Sleepy hollow...) all you lose is a couple of hours. Its not a lifelong commitment, you can just stop watching when something gets poo poo.

I assuming the famous season 1 penis doesn't have a cameo role in S2?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dancer posted:

Weren't there like... a lot of S1 penises? There was penis in the cosmic mind-space, there was djinn fire-penis there was krav maga douche penis on the photo frame. Maybe a few others.

I guess this got impacted by the budget cuts as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dancer posted:

there was krav maga douche penis on the photo frame. Maybe a few others.

Shadow smashing the LCD picture frame in anger was one of the unintentionally hilarious scenes from S1.