Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sickening posted:

Who is odin? This more book poo poo?

Watch last week's episode. Specifically the part in the interrogation room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just noticed that the sword Vulcan made for Wednesday has Yggdrasil on the blade near the hilt. A quick look around wikipedia showed that "yggdrasil" can mean "Odin's Gallows" which makes all the noose references make more sense. Also that Wednesday used the sword to slice Vulcan's neck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's ok, Tom Cruise is afraid he's gay too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

vermin posted:

Currently writing a Canadian drama called True North. It's like Fargo meets Red Green

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That scene where Wednesday declares who he is was some crazy poo poo. This was a great episode but I'm kind of bummed the season is already over. I'm enjoying the dichotomy between old gods who need specific worshippers who pray to them, and the new gods who simply exist because people think of a thing. The old gods understand its a give and take where they receive prayers and they give rewards. The new gods don't understand that, because they just receive worship even if the people worshiping don't even realize they are doing it. They don't give anything back because they don't need to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I forgot to mention I was cracking up when that guy gets in the ice cream truck to valet park it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would have loved to see a blonde, ripped Jeezus with an AR-15 and a beer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

- The day shot for night when Wednesday called in the storm clouds looked pretty fake, but that's kind of hard to pull of to begin with

That wasn't night, that was just overcast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Or for that matter why there's only one Media or Technology instead of Radio, Television, Magazines, PCs, Macs, Automobiles, etc. I'm sure some of it is simplifying things for TV runtime but still, the rules seem a little arbitrary even by these ephemeral metaphysical standards.

People often talk about "the media." When someone complains about the leftist media or the rightwing media they rarely specify TV or radio. When people talk about Jesus, they mean their specific Jesus.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, it just occurred to me that that was the Virgin Mary suckling Baby Jesus, because there are people who are so into the infallible 'innocence' of Christ that they worship the Baby Jesus only.

Look, I like the baby version the best, do you hear me?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Catholics don't worship Mary, we ask her to pray for us (intercession). For the purposes of American Gods it doesn't matter too much, but she would likely be closer to Irish Laura's belief in faeries watching over her and intervening in her life than actual deity worship

It may technically be true, but many catholics pray directly to saints to get them to do whatever they are a saint of. Lose your keys? Ask St. Anthony to find them. Need a job? Ask St. Joeseph to find you one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yahweh is the semitic god of war, so they just just mention that Odin went as Yahweh for a while.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mentioned in the other thread that I really like the idea of aging, has-been Victorian Era or turn-of-the-century new gods that have fallen by the wayside. White Man's Burden, Britannia, Nazi Odin, Steam Engine Boy, etc. If moderns inspired a god of iPhones then surely victorians inspired a monocoled god of machine gunning natives for their own good, pip pip jolly chap.

We also need to see Prince Philip as a new god. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

For real. It probably isn't feasible to do in a show that only has 8 episodes per season for some reason. I would love to have less special effects for a show that has 20 episode seasons that covers more concepts of gods. We have ancient gods vs modern gods. We need some gods from the 1800s that are just barely getting by with people who fantasize about how things used to be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
All of Catholicism is "your religion has *thing*? Well ours also has that. In fact, your thing is actually based on our thing, so you're technically already practicing part of our religion. You might as well join us and make sure you don't go to hell."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It kind of fits. The ancient gods actually were people. They were powerful, sure, but they lived down with mortals sometimes. Modern gods are personification of concepts and thus don't have any experience interacting directly with people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Was the baby Jesus with that Virgin Mary a separate person, or do you think it's all one person? Like because her concept is "Mary with Jesus" she permanently has a baby attached to her arm.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

I just want to take a moment to point out again how incredibly good and full of detail the credits sequence is. The camera in the eye of the cherub; the microphone in the ninefold candle; the drugs for the Buddha and the mixed prayer wheel / needles, all resolving ultimately into a totem pole.

It's really loving good is what I'm saying.

It looks pretty cool but it takes too long so I end up skipping through it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This season was so short that I was wondering why there wasn't an episode yesterday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The new gods are probably able to quickly adapt to new trends to keep up their followers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The god of vehicles needs to be a transformer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

started watching orange is the new black, fun to see sweeney again

You should stop watching after the first or second season, it just gets bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

IMO it stays funny, just recognize that it's a goofy sitcom and not a serious business prison drama like some people seem to expect.

The show itself forgets to be funny in the fifth season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are people today who unironically believe in a lot of ancient religions. I doubt Odin would have trouble finding enough people to keep existing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Didn't know real life needed a different moniker but that's loving sad.

You'll only find that word in sci-fi books from the 80s/90s and whenever a procedural TV show tries to write some sort of hacker nerd.

"We were unable to find the hacker in cyber space because they traced our IP and backdoored it into a 0 TTL packet, we'll have to find this person in meatspace."

"Meatspace?"

"It's what hackers call the real world. We should start looking at the Space Bar, it's a local hacker bar."

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 23, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Bryan Fuller ever going to see a show through to its end on his own terms? Dude really needs to partner with a streaming service.

Or set realistic goals.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Glad this show is dying because Bryan Fuller can't work with what he is given.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mallratcal posted:

Well that sucks. Since she's Media it will make it easier to explain her new appearance.

I wonder if Starz is just going to cancel the show?

For real. "I changed my appearance to get with the times." Easy way to write in a new actress.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there a thread for that show yet where I can preemptively bitch about him refusing to do the second season because he has unrealistic goals?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They parted ways because what he wanted to do was taking way too long and they wanted to get the show out as soon as possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"I know you're excited about your first effects job out of college, so we're going to let you jump right in. I need you to make a big ol dick."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

drat, why did she leave?

Because Bryan Fuller quit because he couldn't get HBO money for his show on Starz.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy poo poo. I doubt the guy was writing the finale by himself, so I'm guessing that writer saw what kind of poo poo he was getting and didn't want any part of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dang, March 3010. That's rough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jeoh posted:

Glad it's been rated 3/10 before we even have a release date.

hosed up that it was Starz that gave that rating.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He definitely worked better under constraints.

Maybe he'll learn that before he burns all his bridges and no one wants to work with him anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't trust reviews before the season airs. Critics said The Orville was garbage, but they only saw the early sitcom episodes and not the ones where the show got good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It seemed just as slow as the first season. I had no idea what they were even doing until the end of the episode and I thought that's what they were doing at the end of the first season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So the show will be canceled once Starz finds a showrunner they like?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was wondering what happened to that "all the plants died" thing. They just moved past it without even saying anything. When I saw that guy on the golf course, I thought they were finally covering it, and it was going to be his perspective of when all the plants died. Instead they just completely ignored it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It felt like an old person who was trying to use young person words. I don't know if that was what they were going for with an old(ish) god turning into a new god.