Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ninty released some english gameplay stuff recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DX7Eq8WzBo

this game look sreally weird. its got random encounters and SMT-style dungeon crawling where you can get ambush bonuses and such. but then it just goes into a fire emblem map. its at 3:30 in the video above. some differences i noticed from the trailer:

- skills (called combat arts now) are earned from using a weapon and equipment for a period of time like FFIX. looks like they kept the fates design of no weapon durability (thank god)
- the dungeons
- arrows have a range of like 5 - 6 :staredog:
- no time travelling children, phew
- if somebody dies you can save their soul by traversing a hard dungeon to save them from the underworld or something (not in the trailer I just read about this)

i have the feeling this wont be a great strategy game but as a straight up dungeon crawler with a weird strategy combat system it could be kinda rad. oh also you can rewind time once a battle but im not a Casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its actually a remake of a Famicom game that came out 3 years after the SNES existed so theyre still firmly maniacs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

that's almost falcom level crazy

the fifth fire emblem came out on the Super Nintendo...one year before the Gamecube was released

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

yeah thracia 776 came out in 2000. amazing! well, technically it came out in 1999 on this re-writable rom kiosk for super famicom sort of like the famicom disk system

it makes me wonder if it was just like one guy who somebody forgot to tell to stop making FE games and he emerged in 1999 like Hey guys ah made a SNES game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah FE dlc is not worth it in my experience, unless you get a character specific one for like 2 bucks. I bought Anna for Fates and it was cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This comes out on Friday

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

i couldn't finish even 1 of the last 3 fire emblem games even tho i was rly hyped up and thought it would be where i finally got into fire emblem ;( Won't Get Fooled Again

This one won't be very good probably. But that's probably meaningless since I guess you just don't like fire Emblem, unless the three games you tried were awakening, birthright and revelations

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's he only one I haven't beaten but maybe I just didn't breed good future children

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh and I haven't ever played the Wii one because they sold 17 copies and discs go for like 80+ dollars last I checked

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Same here lunchmeat Larry.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

from the info I've seen it seems the maps are bad (multiple different people comparing them to Fire Emblem Heroes) but it's more like a classic RPG because you level much faster than normal and there's more variety in character builds with the flexibility of weapon skills and class branches. Seems fun to me but more like FFTactics or something than a traditional FE game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*the bug eyed guy in glasses muttering to himself with stapler in hand as he fills office building with gender swap gas and runs for the hills*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fates Conquest is my favorite, but probably the first GBA one since it's fantastic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

And you can ramp up to the wider array of social mechanics and unit building stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fiber posted:

Path of Radiance for Gamecube is also really good and leads into Radiant Dawn for Wii which has a very legit difficulty. Awakening couldn't hold my attention at all, the grinding+ shipping tropes were a turnoff. i haven't tried fates but i'm kind of interested in the weirdness of this new one

Fates: Conquest is awakening style mechanics with the good structure of just maps in a row and really good map/enemy design. Id check it out if you liked the gamecbe game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Valentia looks like it's going to be a lot like Awakening/Birthright, but I'll probably buy it anyway.

It seems like it's more removed even from this, because of its focus on dungeon crawling and party development. Like apparently your party is always small and a lot of the units start in like a villager style equivalent and you can grow it how you want from there. Which sounds cool. I'll be starting it tomorrow and providing some hot takes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I actually like Revelations more than Birthright. I think Birthright might be the worst FE I've played

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, I guess I just meant it was similar to Awakening/etc in terms of the grinding and anime shipping and so on. Agreed its gameplay does sound pretty unique.

Just because it was too simple/boring, or...?

Yeah. At least revelations had novel and weird map designs. It was a bummer that the party additions were all imbalanced and poorly meted out, but as a Romhacky kinda game it's a cool addition to Conquest.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been doing a lot of Vita gaming (parasite eve II, shiren the wanderer, wild arms) and swapping back to 3ds for this game makes me miss that drat fine Vita hardware

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first thing you do when you get to play this game is walk around a 3D space with camerra control...this is powerful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh hells yes, this game has achievements! I like that ninty is like 15 years late on this but now every game is slowly starting to have them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the village stuff, walking around gossiping with villagers is cool and it makes recruiting people make more sense. ALso in the tutorial village, right before you leave, half of the starting party is missable if you dont talk to them right before the chapter starts which is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Leveled up and got one point in HP and one point in Luck. Here's to 40 more hours of lovely stat rolls :cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really like that your entire starting squad of aruond 5 people is all Villagers...already pulled out the pen and paper to take notes on what classes i want, who seems optimal for which role, etc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I already changed them all on the first dungeon

And missed out on level growth...God you are such a noob.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're not limited by items anymore and there's no chapters so just max out everybody all the time is my plan.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna play more of this game but I have to finish wild arms first QQ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mabels big day posted:

everything i've read says there is absolutely no reason to not promote as soon as you can.

It seems like stat growth is mildly abysmal and when you upgrade someone's class it doesn't add stats, it just moves their stats to a minimum value for that class. So if you exceed the minimum you gain nothing. You can level past and get more bonus stats but it doesn't really seem worth it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat the Undead Dragon at the Sea Shrine and got a fairly baller ring. Pretty cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The maps in this game are awful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm 6 and a half hours in and there has literally been a single map that wasn't a square with a bridge, or a square with no bridge

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tumor looking batty posted:

Would I like this game if I liked Conquest but thought Birthright was garbage? It sounds like Birthright.

It's way worse than Birthright. Well, for the first time I can remember, I actually like the story (it's got a split protagonist thing and at a certain point you can choose who's story to advance next which is fun) but everything else is kinda bad. The maps suck, the class upgrade paths are gone (it's just a linear upgrade that's not restricted by an item), magic costs Health to use which is a weird wrinkle that barely ever matters, and they got rid of the weapon triangle so nobody feels different outside of how much DEF they have, so you can put them first and absorb more hits.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The one funny thing is that Archers have absolutely absurd attack ranges so you can have a sniper use a bow from 6-7 spaces away and insta kill crit people all day. But the second enemies show up that can do that to me it's going to be awful.

Oh and I miss the tag team attack stuff, especially in Fates when Pair Up and standing next to each other had very different applications.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The teleporting mages that can fly across the entire map and then one shot your back lline are annoying as poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Did I gently caress up by not recruiting those two Pegasus knights on the early map of Act 3 Celica route. Oops. Well, my other Pegasus knight in Alm's army are awful so maybe it's not a huge loss. The more I play of this game the more it makes me want to just play Radiant Dawn finally, or Fates for a 4th time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It definitely doesn't because 80%+ is usually guaranteed in the past but I miss those all the time and 50% is actually a move you can land so I think they're displaying an actually hit% in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm deleting this from my 3DS because I've seen about 3 maps in the first 20 hours. I think I'll reinstall Conquest and play that again .

• Locked thread