Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I see a lot of 'fire emblem n00bs' posting in this thread, so here's a helpful reference guide, from me, ArmorSlayer616.

Official Fire Emblem Tier Ranking
DO NOT STEAL

The Best Ones
FE7 (Fire Emblem): Super charming writing, wonderful animations, good level design. Some of the mechanics feel a little clunky in light of later games (supports being the worst offender), but the game still holds up extremely well.
FE9 (Path of Radiance): My personal favorite. Almost flawless.

Recommended
FE4 (聖戦の系譜, 'Genealogy of the Holy War'): Older and clunkier than FE7, which hurts it, but the most distinctive-feeling FE I've played. The only FE I'd really recommend avoiding 'spoilers' for, since the plot does a very cool thing.
FE10 (Radiant Dawn): The longest Fire Emblem game... and a little too long for its own good. Still a super memorable experience. (Please do not play this without playing Path of Radiance first.)
Fire Emblem: Fates: Conquest: The most mechanically perfect FE I've played. The map designers hit it completely out of the park; pity the writers were on holiday!

OK
FE8 (Sacred Seals): Like FE7, but a little worse, and with optional grinding. Try the reverse recruitment hack!
FE13 (Awakening): OK writing, OK maps, grinding. Core mechanics are two steps forward, one step back. Also, grinding.
Birthright: I haven't actually played this one, but from what I've seen, it's basically on par with Awakening. Maybe a little easier.

Revelations
Do not play Fire Emblem: Revelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Valentia looks like it's going to be a lot like Awakening/Birthright, but I'll probably buy it anyway.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

It seems like it's more removed even from this, because of its focus on dungeon crawling and party development. Like apparently your party is always small and a lot of the units start in like a villager style equivalent and you can grow it how you want from there. Which sounds cool. I'll be starting it tomorrow and providing some hot takes

Yeah, I guess I just meant it was similar to Awakening/etc in terms of the grinding and anime shipping and so on. Agreed its gameplay does sound pretty unique.

In Training posted:

Also I actually like Revelations more than Birthright. I think Birthright might be the worst FE I've played

Just because it was too simple/boring, or...?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

where is thracia 776 on your tier list

never played it, sorry :(

01011001 posted:

also hit is limited to 1 - 99% but the rng is totally hosed up so you can get hit like 4 times in a row at 1%

Plutonis posted:

It's got a classic fe feel in which that I got hosed out of several attacks that were supposed to be 80% accuracy and got really mad

you might have known this, but in most FE games, the displayed accuracy % is a lie. the game actually rolls twice and takes the average of the rolls when calculating hit chance, which means that an 80% hit chance is actually a (1 - 0.2^2 = ) 96% hit chance, and a 1% hit chance is actually a 0.01% hit chance. this is because human intuition is really bad about probability.

anyway, sounds like this game doesn't do that? what a weird thing to take out

• Locked thread