Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Previous ones have been just fine.
This one seems a bit jumbled/low, but that could be from how you sampled it. The crowd(?) noise is good for gameplay effect, but obscures the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

OAquinas posted:

Previous ones have been just fine.
This one seems a bit jumbled/low, but that could be from how you sampled it. The crowd(?) noise is good for gameplay effect, but obscures the music.

I left it a touch quieter, yeah. Since the music actually goes completely silent for a short moment between the two tracks I should be able to put it together fairly easily from the soundtrack too, without the crowd if that's preferable.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 06 - CSI: Seattle

(This one will be a cute lil' mini-update to wrap up the Barrens.)

On our own again, it's time to focus properly on this murder investigation!

Ooh is that a donut stand over there

A little something for the road. Dan also tells us that he was closed at the time of the murder so he didn't see anything, adding that it's nothing particularly unusual in the Barrens anyway.

We've only been here for about 20 minutes and we've already gunned down like eight people so I suppose that checks out.

The crime scene is right across the road, although it seems like we're not the only ones interested in this particular alleyway.

Hey... I got rights!

Look, you SINless garbage. I've got a job to do. Find a new blanket, or I'll find a reason to use my stun baton.

Typical. I hate all you pigs!

The grumbling bum backs away.

[He looks in your direction.] Now what?

Of course, Kuprik here won't just let us pass either. We could try to tell him that Dresden sent us over or talk some bullshit about looking into "spectral DNA", but neither works. A simple ¥100 bribe or the Security etiquette which we don't have would do the job, though. Alternatively...

Long night, eh? You looked cold, so I picked up a donut and some soykaf for you.

Hey... thanks!

[The officer's face lights up as he takes a sip. He seems pretty trusting, for an officer of the law.]

You know... when my dad was a cop... this was back when cops actually worked for the government... he said folks would buy him coffee all the time. But I ain't seen it 'till now. So what can I do for you?

Sad to sacrifice a perfectly fine donut, but maybe it's better this way. The jelly was probably made out of gasoline or something anyway.

My pleasure. I'm here from internal affairs to review the forensics guys' work, to find anything they might have missed.

Sure dig in. I certainly wouldn't mind those guys getting taken down a peg or two. Man do they put on airs if you know what I mean.

Wait, seriously? You swallowed that one without question just because I brought you a donut? You people are all hilariously terrible at your jobs.

Alright, let's see, what do we got here...

So we're looking for an opera singer with an interest in chemistry, gotcha. We take the test tube piece with us as a souvenir.

What a coincidence, that's exactly where Sam was murdered!

We also find the old man's coat and blanket. Might as well return them while... huh?

The Seamstresses Union again? Alright, alright, I get it already, we'll go visit the place. Geez. We take the receipt, and receive 3 Karma for our investigative efforts.

Back on the street...

I think this coat and these blankets belong to you.

My stuff! Might decent of ya... don't see that kinda thing too often out here.

Know anything about the murder that took place here?

[He squints at you, suspicious.] You a copper? Or... working for some corp?

Nope, I'm as SINless as you. Mind answering a few questions?

Hey... what makes you think I'm SINless? Har! Just messin' with ya. 'Course I'm SINless. System I-dee number, my rear end. What kinda questions you got?

So... it sounds like you live in this alley?

Sure... for the last coupl'a months I been sleeping there. But I spend my days out doin' odd jobs for the street merchants, or panhandling tourists over near the Seamstresses Union.

The Seamstresses Union you say? Can't say I've heard of the place, maybe I should write down the name in case it comes up again sometime.

Did you see the murder?

Nope - and I can't say I'm sorry I missed it. I was hauling crates for Mrs. James up at th' market. Can't carry as many as I used to... so it took awhile. Got back here in time to see a coupl'a tourists puking all over my home turf. By then, that jerkface in the uniform had already set up shop in my alley.

What else did you see that night?

Hmm. Well... you know, earlier in the night I saw a big 'n ugly troll in green hospital scrubs snoopin' around the block. He bought some donuts and two cups of soykaf off'a Dan over there. Seemed nervous, and he did everythin' with his left hand because his right was all screwed up with some cyberware.

Well this doesn't seem at all relevant. Must've been from internal affairs, you can tell by the donuts.

Can you tell me more about the troll's cyberware?

Well... it was big, and I think it must've had some hospital attachments because I saw some needles. It was a lot like one I saw back in '44, when I got captured by elves. They did all sorts of experiments on me, let me tell you. Never trusted one of them cyber-people.

Hospital attachments on his right hand? What, like stethoscopes or something? I don't get how any of this is supposed to help us at all, but I guess that's to be expected from some crazy hobo who believes in elves.

That's all I needed to know, thanks.

See ya around.

Well, our next destination has been made clear enough. First we go back to Dan the Donut Man, which I genuinely hope is just his full name, to see if he remembers this mysterious donut purchaser.

Ah well, guess that would've made things too easy. We chat up a couple more locals as well, and one of the merchants closing up for the night mentions something interesting.

We already knew about the lights, but nobody had mentioned any explosions. Murphy, I think we have a mystery on our hands!

Last and probably the least, there's this chump hanging around outside the Seamstresses Union entrance.

Bobby here is our first merchant, peddling some cheap drugs combat stims.

The +2 Body from Kamikaze is probably the most useful effect here, but to be honest I'd rather just carry an extra Medkit since inventory space is quite limited. There's no addiction mechanic or other adverse effects beyond what's stated in the descriptions, though.

Time to go see what all the hubbub is about.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 2, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I never bothered with stims, honestly, but that's mostly just because I never know the right time to use them. Any time I'd do that, I can almost always think of something just as useful to do with that turn. It took me a while to even accept the idea of using Medkits, but aside from getting the achievement in DF, I always just sold them. :shrug:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

There's stims, and then there's Jazz (and in Dragonfall, Cram). That +1 AP is enough to turn all my runners into hardened drug-fiends. The effect has worn off? No problem, just pop some more, everyone's loaded to the gills!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, I'm sure stims can be useful, but I never used them myself, either. I did get tons of usage out of medkits and drone repair kits, though.

inscrutable horse posted:

There's stims, and then there's Jazz (and in Dragonfall, Cram). That +1 AP is enough to turn all my runners into hardened drug-fiends.

Huh. I think I gave up on stims before noticing that that one gave +1 AP, because I never knew that and just filed it under "sell instantly" like the rest. That could have been useful.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kanfy posted:

Wait, seriously? You swallowed that one without question just because I brought you a donut? You people are all hilariously terrible at your jobs.

It's what the market will bear.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
One of the touches that I really appreciate in the Shadowrun setting is that, thankfully, even the most powerful megacorp is vulnerable to the foibles of its low-ranking employees.

Sure, an Aztechnology Jaguar Warrior kill squad can level a city block in defense of corporate secrets. However, Debbie in accounting has been seeing Mikhail in purchasing, so she "goes to take a walk" most Tuesday afternoons and leaves her computer logged in to obscure her extracurricular activities from Corporate. Sure would be awful if someone in a maintenance outfit took a look at the local accounts while she was, ah, "consulting with colleagues."

The same story plays out a million times and more per day, with only minor variation. Not even Lofwyr, dragon CEO of Saeder-Krupp, can hope to keep a handle on all his employees. Doesn't stop him from trying, but he triggers the severance clause of a high level contract a lot more often than he'd expected to when he first established it.

(Saeder Krupp execs have significantly more lavish compensation packages than most other megacorps. The catch is the severance clause. In the event of you committing a fireable offense, Lofwyr gets to eat you. Rumors that he sets you on fire first are dismissed as way, way too tacky a pun.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup" :smaug:

What better way to inspire confidence than knowing that the guy who has a cyberarm strong enough to crush a skull with a built-in grenade launcher is popping pills like candy?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kanfy posted:

My pleasure. I'm here from internal affairs to review the forensics guys' work, to find anything they might have missed.

Sure dig in. I certainly wouldn't mind those guys getting taken down a peg or two. Man do they put on airs if you know what I mean.

I'm starting to see why Lone Star ended up losing the Seattle contract to Knight Errant.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

TheMcD posted:

Huh. I think I gave up on stims before noticing that that one gave +1 AP, because I never knew that and just filed it under "sell instantly" like the rest. That could have been useful.

Please do read the item descriptions carefully, McD. Despite what Nancy Reagan may have led you to believe, all the responsible shadowrunners use those +ap drugs :colbert:

Some fights in Dragonfall would be really hard without using Jazz and Cram (+2ap I think?) in the early rounds.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

Please do read the item descriptions carefully, McD. Despite what Nancy Reagan may have led you to believe, all the responsible shadowrunners use those +ap drugs :colbert:

Some fights in Dragonfall would be really hard without using Jazz and Cram (+2ap I think?) in the early rounds.

Having never used either...

You aren't kidding.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does this game model addiction or withdrawl at all, or are these pure buff potions?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Does this game model addiction or withdrawl at all, or are these pure buff potions?

They're just buff potions.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah you can stop using them whenever you want. You don't need them to get through the fight, it just makes it easier. Besides, you can handle the stuff just fine so there's no reason not to take just one more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

inscrutable horse posted:

There's stims, and then there's Jazz (and in Dragonfall, Cram). That +1 AP is enough to turn all my runners into hardened drug-fiends. The effect has worn off? No problem, just pop some more, everyone's loaded to the gills!
The others never seemed worthwhile to me, but I got a lot of use out of those +AP ones.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Not sure if that's a really obvious backer portrait or a tribute to Savely Kramarov.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Xander77 posted:

Not sure if that's a really obvious backer portrait or a tribute to Savely Kramarov.

When in doubt, it's an obvious backer portrait.

I don't begrudge their existence, but I did find it kind of frustrating how glaringly different most backer portraits were compared to the art HBS developed inhouse for other characters. Perils of the source material. On the other hand, my favorite portrait in HK was a backer one.

Regardless of which ones you like or not, they're all very easy to swap in and out for each other - just folders full of PNGs. Resize any image and overwrite one and you can use anything as a custom portrait.

Here's the best part about that particular one: It's Robert Bowling, fourzerotwo of Infinity Ward ... uh, fame isn't the right word, but whatever.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 2, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Psion posted:

The only one that bothered me was Felicia Day, because it was so distracting. You're playing this game and suddenly "Wait, is that Felicia Day? WTF?"

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Having never used either...

You aren't kidding.

Judging by the fact that the "Use 5 drugs" -achievements are some of the rarer ones in the latter games, you're not the only one.

Personally I just tend to forget to use them most of the time. :v:

Psion posted:

I don't begrudge their existence, but I did find it kind of frustrating how glaringly different most backer portraits were compared to the art HBS developed inhouse for other characters. Perils of the source material. On the other hand, my favorite portrait in HK was a backer one.

Regardless of which ones you like or not, they're all very easy to swap in and out for each other - just folders full of PNGs. Resize any image and overwrite one and you can use anything as a custom portrait.
I honestly don't really pay attention to which ones are backer portraits and they don't bother me at all, most of them fit well enough to my eyes.

I don't really pay any kind of attention to whether something is a backer portrait or not, to my eyes the majority of them fit into the game totally fine.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Unlike many of the other (recreational / backyard-chemist) drugs, Jazz is actually a purpose-designed combat stimulant. It was made for Lone Star to try and allow beat cops to match pace with a 'wired street samurai, even if only briefly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kanfy posted:

I don't really pay any kind of attention to whether something is a backer portrait or not, to my eyes the majority of them fit into the game totally fine.

ah, well then I won't ruin it for you :v:

as for combat drugs, they're something I totally ignored in Returns but was slamming down like candy in lategame DFDC and HK. Anything which gives +AP is incredibly powerful, I'd say it's hands down the very best possible buff. And when you can stack +AP ...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 07 - Getting Unionized

(Rather than a "proper" track, the music here is actually a mix of two tracks which we haven't heard yet, Dark Alley and Eyes in the Dark, alternating a small portion from both. Incidentally, this is also the first bit of music composed by the Genesis Shadowrun composer Sam Powell that we've heard.)

Nice jukebox. Our best bet is probably to start with the scantily-clad bartender.

We've had a pretty long day so far.

Something dirty in a clean glass.

Oooh, a hard-case - I like that. Okay, "Hard Case", I'll get you something stiff.

I think plenty, Shane! I'm getting a Ph-freaking-d from UW in neuroprosthetics, studying under Ojemanns! And how am I paying for it? Bartending. Tips. There are faster ways for a Barrens girl to earn that kind of scratch but I'm not taking 'em. So what do you want from me?

Uh, should we go elsewhere for a while or

I want what you want. A better life. A better world for everyone. The Universal Brotherhood can give you that...

I've heard all this before.

This isn't some trick to get us back together. Things are different now. The Brotherhood...

Don't you just hate it when two people you don't really know start arguing about something personal and you just kinda stand there feeling super awkward?

[Cherry Bomb's pretty face is hard, armored in lipstick and low expectations]

The Universal Brotherhood is for other people, Shane. Rich Bellevue types, who can afford their membership fees and "voluntary donations".

This isn't about the money. It's about binding the world together in brotherhood. Come with me. Attend a Discovery Meeting. Get to the core of who you are. I heard Lynne Telestrian give a talk last night called, "The New Family of the Sixth World"...

Oh good, it's one of those.

I've got a family right here, Shane. They're drunks and lowlifes and whores and I'd choose them over any of your Brotherhood members. Now buzz. I need to get back to work.

[With body language that leaves no question that the conversation is over, Cherry Bomb turns her back on him.]

Thankfully the goony guy takes the hint and leaves.

Sorry, I got interrupted.

Sorry you had to go through that. Sounds like you've got big plans for yourself.

[Her pretty eyes soften.] Yeah... I do. Can't stay here forever.

You've got a look that says you're not here just for the entertainment. Are you a badge?

I think you know the answer to that.

I mean, we managed to open the front door without assistance so we're clearly overqualified for that particular job.

[She regards you with a smirk.] Mmm hmm. I do. You're... independent. We're trained to spot a bronze the minute they walk in here. Something I can help you with?

I have a few questions.

Ask away.

Yep, it's that time gain.

Tell me about this place.

"People like you"? Why does everybody keep saying that?!

Who was that you were talking to?

Shane. Old boyfriend. He used to work here. Then one day, he saw a billboard for the Universal Brotherhood and that was that. Went to a meeting, made new friends... moved in with them. I was happy for him, until he started coming around trying to recruit me. I don't need that drek.

That guy mentioned Coyote. She here?

[She looks worried.] No. I think she's... away on business.

One day we'll get something done easily without facing yet another speed bump. Today is not that day.

Business, huh? Is she a shaman? With a name like "Coyote"...

I'm sorry, what? What is wrong with everyone in this place? Is it all the crap in the air?

[Her face falls.] She's been missing for a couple of days, now. Some people think the Ripper got her, but I know her. Coyote can take care of herself.

Ever heard the name Sam Watts?

[She nods.] Sam was a regular customer and a regular pain in the rear end for as long as I've been here. Talked a big game but he was always broke. As soon as he got any money in his pocket, it went straight to his head - chips, drugs, or booze. Coyote had a soft spot for him though.

She's not talking about potato chips by the way, but rather Simsense ones which are basically like virtual reality except with practically complete immersion. BTL or Better Than Life chips are an especially hardcore version which mess up your brain and can cause serious addiction similar to hard drugs.

Did you see Sam on the night he died?

No. That was Coyote's shift.

Who runs this place? I want to talk to them.

That'd be Mrs. Kubota. She's in the back room. You can't miss her.

Thanks for the intel. I appreciate the help.

Gutterpunks have to stick together.

Next up is the big fella next to her.

Eric doesn't have much to say, but he's a very important character nonetheless, being our very first opportunity to upgrade our armor.

While he technically has a real impressive selection, in practice everyone who can afford it just buys the Alley Punk outfit for its high armor value. Plus it's the set featured in the promo art.

On the other hand I think we should try to avoid attracting too much attention, we don't want to look too threatening y'know? So really, the choice here is obvious.

Hell yeah, they'll never see us coming.

Going further in, we find another merchant. As a sidenote, Kickstarter backers could chat with the ghost of Jordan Weisman back here as well.

We probably won't be firing any guns anytime soon, if ever, and despite what she says Jin doesn't carry anything except the most basic weaponry anyway.

The tech part is of interest to us though. She's our first source of Drone Repair Kits and more interestingly, she sells the first available support drone.

Now, it's very easy to overlook the Smoker. You look at the description and go "Smoke? That sounds lame, I'm not going to give up my damage for that." But what the description doesn't tell you is that as a support drone, the Smoker comes equipped with a mini-mortar which is just as damaging as the Doberman's gun. The downside is that it needs to be reloaded after every 3 shots and it's slightly less accurate, but on the other hand mortar hits also damage enemies (and only enemies) directly adjacent to the target.

In addition, the Smoker comes pre-equipped with a pair of smoke grenades (hence the name) and a concussion grenade which deals AP damage to everyone hit. Like all drone items, they automatically replenish themselves between missions. The Smoker also appears to be slightly sturdier than the Doberman, with higher HP and armor.

What I'm saying is that welcome to the team, Hello World. We also get a couple of repair kits because if our drone gets busted, we'll become useless again until the next time we can access our item stash.

Watching the back room is this well-dressed giant.

I'm not going to draw further attention to it but I'll mention here that various characters in the game are drawn after Kickstarter backers. Mr. Kluwe here is based on the former American football player Chris Kluwe who was a backer, with the horns referencing the Minnesota Vikings which is where he spent most of his career. Apparently.

Funny place for the architect to put a wall.

Load bearing, too. You have business here?

Looking into the death of Sam Watts.

Heard about that. Real shame what happened to him.

[There is a sharpness in Kluwe's eyes, the look of a man who has seen much and earned wisdom at a young age.]

I figure Sam was the type who needed to be thrown out on occasion.

Encouraged to call it a night, I'd say. Sam was a drunk, but he usually wasn't a violent one.

Usually? What about the night he died?

Hmm.

Thanks for the info.

No problem.

Last up is the back room.

Fancy-looking place, they got elven dancers and everything. Although...

...only one of them is putting any kind of effort into it. Or maybe "The bus driver" is the hottest dance of 2054, hell if I know.

Anyway, let's see who's around back here.

Yeah, first time. Just getting a look at the place.

Well enjoy yourself. This looks like your type of place. I'm just sweeping up a bit.

I swear to god if you people don't stop with the "your type of place" comments...

..."Noog", huh.

*mutter*... THAT was why I said to use mustard instead of catsup!... *mutter*... Forgive me, Jean. I was a fool... *mutter*

[He looks you in the eye, his other conversations on hold.]

You may peruse my magical wares and see their glory.

He sells all kinds of stuff for all three caster classes. We have zero business with this guy, at least for now.

Only one person left, so that has to be...

My, but aren't you the pretty elf! Are you enjoying the Seamstresses Union? There should be plenty for a woman like you to enjoy.

[She eyes you closely.]

Or is this business?

I just need a moment of your time, Mrs. Kubota. I have topics to discuss.

So ka. And why should I help you?

She actually uses "So ka" correctly, which if intentional is a nice touch.

Sam Watts. I'm looking for his killer.

[Her face brightens - amused.] Ah! So *you* are the "little insurance policy" he would go on about when he was drunk. His avenging angel who would strike back for him from beyond the grave.

Guess he was one of those people who get all dramatic after drinking.

What do you want to know?

Why is this place called the Seamstresses Union?

During the gold rush years, there was a census, and the politicians wanted as high a number as possible to gain power and revenue. To bolster their numbers, they decided to include all the "working girls" - of which there were many - to the rolls. However, given the times, they could not list the girl's true occupation so they entered them all as "seamstresses".

From what I can tell this is a thing that actually happened, at least as far as the euphenism is concerned.

When a girl accumulated enough money to open her own place of business, she named it the Seamstresses Union so potential workers would know that they would be treated fairly there. And thus, a rich tradition was born.

So you're a former... seamstress?

No. Perhaps when we know each other more, I will reveal more about myself. For now, enjoy the Union.

As you might've guessed, we'll be sticking around for a while.

How well did you know Sam?

I knew him - we all did. Sam was a regular here, whenever he could beg or borrow enough nuyen to become altered in some way. Drugs, chips, alcohol - it didn't matter to Sam. As long as he was bent. He was always looking for his next fix.

And yet somehow he had a 100k insurance going. Did he put all of his money into it? Does it even exist? Or did someone else pay for it for some reason? :iiam:

He clung to this place like it was his lifeline and we treated him as part of the family, even if none of us truly liked him - except Coyote.

Did you see him on the night of his death?

They got harassed by gangers and Sam stumbled off to get murdered, we know that part.

One more question. Can you tell me where to find Coyote?

[Her face darkens.] Would that I could. I have not seen her in two days. She is a smart woman, and quite dangerous, but I fear for her.

If she's smart, why fear for her?

Because she is in a dangerous line of work and there is always someone smarter. More prepared.

Maybe we should name our drone Watson with how much detective work seems to be getting thrown our way. Ah well, upstairs we go.

Now technically she never said which room was Coyote's, so it's best we go through them all. You know, just in case. The first door seems to be locked with a security panel, but maybe she just forgot to mention it.

Our choice of profession begins paying off. You don't have the option to guess the password, so it's decking or nothing.

There's nothing of value inside at first glance, but we do find some Nitro stuffed inside a teddy bear. I'm sure nobody will miss it.

The second room's empty, so we head on to Coyote's room at the end of the hallway.

At least when it comes to size, our place was like a manor compared to these apartments. We've got a few things to look at here.

Doesn't tell us much, except that she might very well be a goon. There's also a diary with several papers sticking out of it on the bed. The first entry:

There's also a receipt on the page.

Hell, same. At the very least Coyote seems to have been armed. The second entry:

Guess things were looking up. There's a few other things here, but only a couple of receipts stand out as relevant. First is the receipt to a wall safe complete with its combination, and the second...

Sure I get it, everyone has those days when you're really just craving to bite into a good ol' chunk of zebra meat.

We find the aforementioned safe behind the broken mirror, open it up, and loot ourselves a frag grenade.

The last thing we can look at is Coyote's computer.

What we have here is a small puzzle. The password recovery system consists of a series of questions, and the answers can mostly be found amongst all the things in the room we've looked at so far.

I invite everyone at home to play along and see if they can figure out the answers by themselves. Should be fun.

Ready? Let's go!

Just kidding, puzzle-solving is for peasants.

Hopefully the truth is in here.

We've got three options: "Contacts", "Access History" and "Calendar". The contacts only list Paco but has no actual contact info, so it's not very useful.

"Access History":

You gotta be careful when you order hot dogs in Shadowrun, could make for a nasty misunderstanding.

"Calendar":

Wait, today? Hasn't she been missing for a couple of days already?

Well whatever, guess we have our next destination. Back downstairs and to Mrs. Kubota.

Coyote has a date with Paco at Pike Place Market in the next half hour.

Or it might've been in a half hour two days ago, but who's really counting.

Man, not even a moment's rest. I don't think we ever even got our drink, now that I think about it.

At least we have a nice relaxing stroll at the local market to look forward to, next time.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 3, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So I've been taking this LP as an opportunity to replay the game at Very Hard as a mage. And I have to say, poo poo sucks when you're kinda squishy and enemies can actually hit.

It was off to a good start when I started out fighting the two thugs at Jake's dead drop and never got to move because the two thugs combined to do enough damage to my character to kill her, leading to an instant game over. Body 2 was a mistake. I've been trying to make her more sturdy, but man, it just feels like everybody homes right in on my character. Yeah, I know, "geek the mage", but drat.

And while we're on Coyote's room, the password recovery asks about her first pet's name, which is "Shadow" (that's something you learn from the computer), about her home city, which is Chicago, and about her favorite musical artist. I don't remember the answer for that one, and I don't remember where you actually find the information regarding that. Does anybody know where you get that from?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I believe you have to leave her room and go back and ask Mrs Kubota about it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

To be honest, the added Japanese feels kinda forced and reeks of weeaboo rather than any meaningful flavor. No surprise I don't remember any of it from the later games.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Psion posted:

I believe you have to leave her room and go back and ask Mrs Kubota about it.

Yeah, I guess that would do it. I just figured brute forcing it was the quicker solution.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Poil posted:

To be honest, the added Japanese feels kinda forced and reeks of weeaboo rather than any meaningful flavor. No surprise I don't remember any of it from the later games.

Eh, Kubota's half-Japanese and it's a fairly common trope for people speaking a foreign language to throw in foreign words here and there. Aside from her, I think so far there's just been that one "So ka" from New Larry.

But yeah, it's part of the slang which they mostly drop in the later games. You don't see nearly as many "drek-eating grins" or what have you anymore either, thankfully.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Poil posted:

Part of that was the 80's meme that Japan was going to wind up owning the U.S. The next two games take place in Germany and Hong Kong, so...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think they leaned a little too hard into the Shadowrun slang (both the loan words and the Battlestar Galactica-esque fake swearing) and there's at least one more language thing they tried later (which I'm not gonna spoil, it's lategame) which I also thought was a big miss and that didn't make a return as well. Those combined make me think it's more HBS finding their voice than anything else.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I've played some Shadowrun pnp and I've never heard another player or GM (RM?) actually use the in-universe slang.

Keeshhound posted:

Part of that was the 80's meme that Japan was going to wind up owning the U.S. The next two games take place in Germany and Hong Kong, so...
True but not many npc's in those games throw in German and Cantonese words. Heck in the third game hardly any of the dialog is actually in English.

Kanfy posted:

Eh, Kubota's half-Japanese and it's a fairly common trope for people speaking a foreign language to throw in foreign words here and there. Aside from her, I think so far there's just been that one "So ka" from New Larry.

But yeah, it's part of the slang which they mostly drop in the later games. You don't see nearly as many "drek-eating grins" or what have you anymore either, thankfully.
English is my second language but I have no inclinations whatsoever to randomly add Swedish words for no reason when I speak/type in English. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 3, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Poil posted:

English is my second language but I have no inclinations whatsoever to randomly add Swedish words for no reason when I speak/type in English. :v:

I think you should start, min vän.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psion posted:

I think you should start, min vän.
No, go suck a surströmming.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Poil posted:

I'm with you, in fact I've successfully managed to get through the entire LP so far without a single word in Finnish, but it's still a fairly a popular trope in fiction so I can usually let it slide.

It's been a while since I last played it, but I'm pretty sure you see the occasional "herr" and "frau" in Dragonfall as well.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Poil posted:

True but not many npc's in those games throw in German and Cantonese words. Heck in the third game hardly any of the dialog is actually in English.

Narratively, the entirety of Hong Kong is in cantonese, just translated for the player's benefit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yup. :)

Kanfy posted:

I'm with you, in fact I've successfully managed to get through the entire LP so far without a single word in Finnish, but it's still a fairly a popular trope in fiction so I can usually let it slide.

It's been a while since I last played it, but I'm pretty sure you see the occasional "herr" and "frau" in Dragonfall as well.
Well, that's more like throwing in the word sensei or -san when referring to someone so it's not as bad.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 3, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Keeshhound posted:

Narratively, the entirety of Hong Kong is in cantonese, just translated for the player's benefit.

Kanfy posted:

Poil posted:

Well, that's more like throwing in the word sensei or -san when referring to someone so it's not as bad.
See also: Dragonfall being in German, narratively. I really appreciate that HBS doesn't just set everything in Seattle, :911: and call it good. You get to see the actual world of Shadowrun. It's refreshing.

Kanfy posted:

Doesn't tell us much, except that she might very well be a goon.

Was this intentional, or just serendipity?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 3, 2017

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

It's actually pretty common in the US to switch into a form of 'spanglish' depending on your ethnic background. Sometimes it's just easier to drop in a Spanish or Vietnamese (or English) etc. phrase to explain what you mean but you wouldn't normally do that unless you know the other person is going to understand you.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Kanfy posted:

To be fair, they are in Berlin for Dragonfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
This is going to be That One Outfit You Eventually Switch Away From But Never Leaves Your Inventory, isn't it?

• Locked thread