Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Kanfy posted:

Anyway, you need to get paid! Which would be great except for one thing - I got nothin’. Never did! You know how it is, right? Sorry. But hey - thanks again for giving a crap! Seriously. I appreciate it.

Excuse me?

Not gonna lie... when I got to that part, I laughed- really long and really hard. Because of course, of course this would be the end of it, and yet. Sam, you bastard... but I get the joke.

Said that last thing too. And asked for money, because damned if I was gonna go through all that and just have a feeling of accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I never really understood the "eh, actually I want to be a corp security guy protecting you against me and my fellow runners" option. I guess they wanted to give a 'boring but probably stable' option? Or they just figured nobody would take it, I dunno.

the way you played that out was perfect, considering.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A lot of Shadowrunners end up taking corporate jobs once they've established a reputation, because they offer a huge amount of money, power, and stability. It's like being powerful government figure only it pays really well.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
A lot of people turn to running because they are either born out of society, or forcibly ejected from it. Not everyone who does it likes living that way, and will eagerly snap up the opportunity to escape if someone offers it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, I picked the Telestrian Security VP spot for my elf mage. Being a high animal in a corp, if you're good enough, is one hell of a solid spot and basically sets you up for life. And hey, if you've just stopped an invasion of extradimensional bugs, I think you can handle terrestrial troubles.

Also, corp mages get the most awesome looking threads.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
That is a very Shadowrun ending. Big drat hero doing your little part to save the world, and then being screwed out of the payment you were expecting.

Thank you for showing this game off. It's put me in the mood to get back into the setting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I guess maybe if your PC had ever expressed any dissatisfaction with running I could buy it? But when I'm playing a Shadowrun game and I have to invent a backstory where I actually don't like shadowrunning? Ehhhh. Perhaps my total lack of lore knowledge is why it just completely missed for me.

I could see that as a much, much better sell in one of the sequel titles so let's chalk it up to HBS improving things as they do.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And in the end Sam Watts remained as he ever was.

Psion posted:

I guess maybe if your PC had ever expressed any dissatisfaction with running I could buy it? But when I'm playing a Shadowrun game and I have to invent a backstory where I actually don't like shadowrunning? Ehhhh. Perhaps my total lack of lore knowledge is why it just completely missed for me.

I could see that as a much, much better sell in one of the sequel titles so let's chalk it up to HBS improving things as they do.

The latter ones put more emphasis on shadowrunning as a sort of a permanent heart attack, like it should be.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Psion posted:

To be fair, you start the game being absolutely up poo poo creek without a paddle. You're broke, you have no runs, and all your contacts are dead or missing. It's basically a total dead end. I'd be hankering for some secure income after this - especially since without Telestrian, the run you've staked everything on would have left you with jack poo poo as well, since true to being a stiff, Sam stiffed you on the payment.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Psion posted:

I never really understood the "eh, actually I want to be a corp security guy protecting you against me and my fellow runners" option. I guess they wanted to give a 'boring but probably stable' option? Or they just figured nobody would take it, I dunno.

the way you played that out was perfect, considering.

It is a very strange but interesting option. Shadowrun proper is peak cyberpunk. Meaning very punk and anti-establishment. Forces of power have to be mistrusted and have very little redeeming qualities.
Having a runner becoming a (balancing?) force within the system is a post-cyberpunk resolution.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

TheMcD posted:

To be fair, you start the game being absolutely up poo poo creek without a paddle. You're broke, you have no runs, and all your contacts are dead or missing. It's basically a total dead end. I'd be hankering for some secure income after this - especially since without Telestrian, the run you've staked everything on would have left you with jack poo poo as well, since true to being a stiff, Sam stiffed you on the payment.

yeah that's basically SOP for being a runner though :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

OutofSight posted:

It is a very strange but interesting option. Shadowrun proper is peak cyberpunk. Meaning very punk and anti-establishment. Forces of power have to be mistrusted and have very little redeeming qualities.
Having a runner becoming a (balancing?) force within the system is a post-cyberpunk resolution.

It's not about becoming a balancing force, it's about stepping out of a business that could kill you at anytime and getting to sit down in an actual office where the actual coffee isn't poo poo and where people don't bother you, and actually living as opposed to day to day surviving.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Plus, shadowrunner is a good description of the experience you need to be able to stop shadowrunners from breaking into places, shooting lots of people, and stealing valuable things (which might be people.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that's actually a solid noir ending, and a great last line. Thanks for doing this, good to finally see the ending!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I remember being excited when the KS for this came out, and when I got it loaded on my PC. Flaws and all, it was still a great job to be running the shadows again, and I'm very happy with how the next two games turned out. The only disappointment I have is the modding scene never took off like I hoped, I expected tons of choices like back when Neverwinter Nights was still a thing.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RedMagus posted:

I remember being excited when the KS for this came out, and when I got it loaded on my PC. Flaws and all, it was still a great job to be running the shadows again, and I'm very happy with how the next two games turned out. The only disappointment I have is the modding scene never took off like I hoped, I expected tons of choices like back when Neverwinter Nights was still a thing.

That was pretty clearly what harebrained was expecting, but I'm honestly not surprised it didn't take.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah turning your arrangements with a corporate employer into a permanent gig is the ideal "endgame" for some shadowrunners. Usually ones that don't have an ideological opposition to corp life.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

TheMcD posted:

Not entirely jack poo poo, since you now have several good contacts, solid gear, and a base of operations in Seattle (assume you opt to save The Union, which also means you skipped out on the big payday). You may still be pretty broke, but your overall prospects are much improved.

Psion posted:

It makes sense in the lore that a lot of people in the shadows don't want to be there, but as you say it comes out of nowhere for your PC since up till this point the game doesn't really provide you with a lot of dialog choices where your character wants to quit, but has no choice.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Of course, the most common endgame for a shadowrunner is"dead" with "in prison" as a distant second.

Assuming that doesn't happen, it's not uncommon to see runners turn fixer, crime boss, or a long-standing fixture in a shadow organization.

A handful never retire despite being able to, but adopt their own agendas while having a long list of paying clients who know they always get the job done.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Psion posted:

...I took it. I mean come on, "boring but stable" beats having to put your life on the line and struggle every single day, right?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Congratulations on finishing this LP!
I know that it's a lot of work and you probably won't, but I am still hoping you will tackle Dragonfall next.

resurgam40 posted:

Not gonna lie... when I got to that part, I laughed- really long and really hard. Because of course, of course this would be the end of it, and yet. Sam, you bastard... but I get the joke.
That was basically my reaction as well.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Okay, notorious crazy person Maria Mercurial getting a starring role as a mental patient made me laugh

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Congrats on finishing this. You got me to take a look at the series and play through it.

Sam's role in the ending is great, because it is at the same time a big surprise and yet highly predictable.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

thanks for the hard work!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Thanks for all the kind words, I hope you had at least half as much fun reading the LP as I did making it.

radintorov posted:

Congratulations on finishing this LP!
I know that it's a lot of work and you probably won't, but I am still hoping you will tackle Dragonfall next.

Yeah, I don't know, it is a lot of work.

What do you think, Soviet captain Georgi Kukov from the 1996 video game Command & Conquer: Red Alert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGLjSMpzS-Q&t=50s

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for the LP, it was a fantastic read.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kanfy posted:

What do you think, Soviet captain Georgi Kukov from the 1996 video game Command & Conquer: Red Alert?

:golfclap:

very nice

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
All right, C&C Red Alert LP confirmed!
:v:

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Nice LP. You got me to reinstall the game and go through it again.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Echoing how much I enjoyed reading this LP and associated Shadowrun lore discussion. Great job, Kanfy!

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I don't know, it is a lot of work.

:neckbeard:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thank you so much for running through this. :neckbeard:

Be careful you don't run into a wall with Berlin.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Poil posted:

Thank you so much for running through this. :neckbeard:

Be careful you don't run into a wall with Berlin.

Pretty sure that was torn down in 1989. :downs:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Piling on the thanks for doing this LP. As I said before, I had wanted to Kickstart this thing, but didn't have the funds available at the time, and didn't actually pick this up until it went on sale on Steam. Made sure to throw some money to Hong Kong though. I had never played a Shadowrun video game, but it did manage to scratch the Shadowrun itch I had ever since I was introduced to the tabletop game but could never find a group with which to run it, despite people always saying that they were interested. Oh well.

I didn't really have the same complaints about the slog of the final mission here that a lot of people here say they did, since I was psyched to be clearing out a bug spirit nest that I had twigged on as soon as the UB was mentioned even in passing because of my knowledge of the metaplot, especially alongside Harlequin and after Hans Brackhaus and James Telestrian III showed themselves. But I could see why others had a problem with how repetitive it really was, and the let down with the Jessica Watts fight, and how it could go poorly real fast if you were poorly kitted out or focused down the wrong targets or whatever. Still, I think I did it by taking down the towers and holding off the bugs until I focused down Jessica, but at that point, I had so many guns (and Harlequin's sword stuff) that it wasn't all that hard to do.

I think I saved Touristville and the Union as well, since I was adamant about trying to get every single convo I could from the game, to make sure I didn't miss anything. And it felt right to do so, of course. shadowrunner with a tarnished heart of gold and all that, plus it's always good to look after a place where you have contacts and feeds you a decent line of business due to the connections you built there. And I got McKlusky fired of course, and I'm pretty sure I cold clocked him as well. I was expecting Sam to let me down, with how the game characterized him and all that, and when it played out as expected in a Shadowrun story like this, I can't say I was surprised with how it turned out. Played a dwarf like usual in these games, so I didn't feel the Telestrian VP of Security thing would work out, especially how Telestrian just dismisses you like that, as he is wont to do as one of the most powerful people in the region, with his power behind the throne in the Tir and as a general rich elf dude CEO of a AA megacorp. Sure, I usually build my runners to want to eventually get out of the life (they usually have SINs and are out of the military or similar), but this doesn't seem like the right opportunity to do so here. Besides, helping Touristville and the Union and all that.

Anyway,

Kanfy posted:

Aww yiss! :neckbeard: And that was a perfect teaser too, reminding me of how much I loved Red Alert.

Psion posted:

:golfclap:

very nice

Groetgaffel posted:

All right, C&C Red Alert LP confirmed!
:v:

I think this also expresses how I feel about these developments. Can't wait.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 6, 2017

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I can't stomach the Shadowrun tabletop game rules but I love the setting and the two games that followed after this one. Good LP, good thread.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Fantastic work. Thankyou for the effort you put into this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:golfclap: Thanks for the LP!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

resurgam40 posted:

I loved that final swerve. Sam, you absurd drunken gently caress-up.

quote:

Said that last thing too. And asked for money, because damned if I was gonna go through all that and just have a feeling of accomplishment.

My first playthrough, I went with "He said thank you." Because, in his own deeply Sam way, he did.

Kanfy posted:

:dance:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Sam! :argh:

And then I laughed. You can't help it, can you? I told y'all it was a shaggy-dog story. And credit where credit is due, you don't feel like putting your fist through the screen because, frankly, you should have seen it coming. Telestrian is a lot more dickish about paying us for the run. Good thing money isn't really a consideration by the end-game. Even on my first run-through (when I didn't know how to play), I had enough money to get all that I wanted by the end.

Kanfy, thanks. That was great (voting 5). In spite of the number of times I've played the campaign, there were still things that I'd missed seeing, so thank you.

I'd missed the Kickstarter for this as well (wouldn't have mattered anyway since I'd never heard of Shadowrun, and didn't have a credit card either), but based on how great this was, I preordered the Battletech game. HBS make good games, and seeing as Jordan Weissman was involved in the creation of both universes, it's pretty clear that the guy knows how to get the tone right.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks for the LP! It was super enjoyable to read it, plus the stories and the Shadowrun digressions as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

painedforever posted:

Sam! :argh:

And then I laughed. You can't help it, can you? I told y'all it was a shaggy-dog story. And credit where credit is due, you don't feel like putting your fist through the screen because, frankly, you should have seen it coming.

It also just fits with the thematic roots that shadowrun, and cyberpunk in general, share with the noir genre. True to form, it's entirely possible to play out a story where the protagonist works theselves to the bone, does the "right" thing at every opportunity, and winds up I what is only a marginally better position than they started in. It's loving perfect.

It's also a pretty impressive literary accomplishment, in hindsight that the game manages to end with "aha, got ya, sucker!" ending without it feeling cheap or insulting, even if you caught on ahead of time.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 6, 2017

• Locked thread