Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Today's update brought to you by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4xI1gua748

TheMcD posted:

Wait, Paco has 8 Charisma? gently caress me. My elf mage with a major in Charisma had 8 Charisma after finishing the second to last part of the game! And Paco doesn't have any cool at all - he manages to keep the facade up for about a minute before it crumbles like a house of cards.

I bet that for his Etiquettes, he just picked Street four times.

Yeah the fact that he had 12 Charisma when 9 is the cap for humans was the first sign that something was maybe a little off in my original save. :v:

Iretep posted:

The real reason to take quickness over str when you want the 3rd weapon slot is quickness increases dodge while str raises nothing useful besides damage. Which leads to me to wonder why ever even do a melee build when its so point hungry for so littler return. Like later games actually make melee a bit more useful mechanically but thats for those times. Right now im pretty sure str is pure garbage.

Yup, unless you really want to throw lots of grenades Strength is practically a pure dump stat for most characters since there's no item weight mechanic either. I've never tried a pure melee character in Returns, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A point or two can be nice if you use grenades regularly, at least.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

A point or two can be nice if you use grenades regularly, at least.

That's certainly true, I suppose "pure dump stat" is a slight exaggeration as the range increase to grenade throws from every point of Strength is pretty generous and they're basically useless with just 1.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

Concept art - Renraku Arcology Skyline

Ah the Renraku Arcology. Veterans of the tabletop game will remember this place fondly.

I love how this piece really nails the feel of the entire world. off in the distance with the bright sunlight, you have these gleaming massive complexes, which might not be too bad to live in. Immediate in the foreground, you have a road that desperately needs repair, and an old electrical pole that everything else has basically been nailed to because it's there. And then of course one of the corp buildings is on fire. You have to wonder how often those fancy places get hit with some sort of explosion/magical accident/etc considering the amount of runners being hired.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Here's a bigger version if someone wants a new wallpaper or something, I dunno.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The arcology was a fun high risk, high reward target. Getting in might only require bribing Mr. Sakamoto with a couple thousand nuyens cash to fuel his gambling addiction, but turn down the wrong corridor and you could wind up unleashing the apocalypse .

There's a fun what-if module where the whole arcology goes dark and you're hired to break in and find out why. Turns out they managed to summon Cthulu. Now, hardened shadowrunners who've seen the underside of the magical cyberpunk world aren't going to go mad from seeing a few fishmen - but horrors from beyond the stars aren't exactly worried about a few bullets and grenades.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 6, 2017

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Added Space posted:

The arcology was a fun high risk, high reward target. Getting in might only require bribing Mr. Sakamoto with a couple thousand nuyens cash to fuel his gambling addiction, but turn down the wrong corridor and you could wind up unleashing the apocalypse .

There's a fun what-if module where the whole arcology goes dark and you're hired to break in and find out why. Turns out they managed to summon Cthulu. Now, hardened shadowrunners who've seen the underside of the magical cyberpunk world aren't going to go mad from seeing a few fishmen - but horrors from beyond the stars aren't exactly worried about a few bullets and grenades.

But come at him with a boat to the face and he folds like a cheap suit :v:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

There's a certain bit of background scenery in the game in this area I think that was a backer request from an old SR GM of mine, it's a black van with a red racing stripe and clothes on lines or racks around it. The origin story for what eventually got the group dubbed (by itself) the A-Team when one of the characters stole it. Though the guy was the one to add the stripe and spoiler.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hah, I was just about to post that. Nahman Jayden is the best thing to come of Heavy Rain.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
At this point of the game I thought I had the motive of the Ripper down pat.

I was pretty wrong.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Iretep posted:

The real reason to take quickness over str when you want the 3rd weapon slot is quickness increases dodge while str raises nothing useful besides damage. Which leads to me to wonder why ever even do a melee build when its so point hungry for so littler return. Like later games actually make melee a bit more useful mechanically but thats for those times. Right now im pretty sure str is pure garbage.
Yeah, I played through Honk Kong with a wared up adept troll with pumped strength and cyber claws. Even the bullshit enemies in the extra campaign didn't stand a chance against it.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
At this point in the game, I had noticed that the Universal Brotherhood was showing up more often and more prominently than Random Background Scientology Ripoff would, and was basically waiting for the other shoe to drop on that.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Iretep posted:

You can deal a lot of AP damage if you invest in melee.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It sure is convenient and not suspicious at all that the one coroner we knew happened to show up so far away from his usual place of work.

Robots vs. hellhounds sounds like a fun excursion though.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Ain't no crime to make some extra nuyen, gotta stack that soy-cheddar when you can!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Glazius posted:

It sure is convenient and not suspicious at all that the one coroner we knew happened to show up so far away from his usual place of work.

Are you telling me you don't trust that face?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I'm enjoying this LP - it got me to buy Shadowrun Hong Kong which is now $5 on steam if anyone is interested.

Will I lose out on anything by playing that before the previous games?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm enjoying this LP - it got me to buy Shadowrun Hong Kong which is now $5 on steam if anyone is interested.

The way the matrix is handled is different, almost divisively so, but I find both the Hong Kong and Dragonfall/Returns ways enjoyable. There's some other mechanical differences but that's the major one. There's no real continuity between any of the 3 games though, aside from minor mentions of events in other places. Enjoy the game!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Vadoc posted:

There's a certain bit of background scenery in the game in this area I think that was a backer request from an old SR GM of mine, it's a black van with a red racing stripe and clothes on lines or racks around it. The origin story for what eventually got the group dubbed (by itself) the A-Team when one of the characters stole it. Though the guy was the one to add the stripe and spoiler.

I don't know if it matches your description exactly, but it's true that there is a large black vehicle next to the crime scene.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Good to hear you're enjoying it. And $5 for Hong Kong is a steal, this game is a little tougher to come back to after playing the latter two but it doesn't really matter whether you play Dragonfall or Hong Kong first.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd honestly recommend playing Returns first. Both for pragmatic (Playing in order means you appreciate the gameplay changes made and see steadily improving writing) and personal (This is a really good entry point into Shadowrun and makes getting into Dragonfall and Hong Kong a lot easier) reasons.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

I'd honestly recommend playing Returns first. Both for pragmatic (Playing in order means you appreciate the gameplay changes made and see steadily improving writing) and personal (This is a really good entry point into Shadowrun and makes getting into Dragonfall and Hong Kong a lot easier) reasons.

I tend to recommend giving Returns at least a shot first as well, but if you just want to jump in because of the sale on Hong Kong then I'd say go for it.

Also

Paco just disappeared from my group, so now Murphy is talking in his place. I'm starting to think I have talent for encountering bizarre bugs in this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Paco just disappeared from my group, so now Murphy is talking in his place. I'm starting to think I have talent for encountering bizarre bugs in this game.
The role of Paco will now be played by Tom Servo.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition is 75% off on Steam.

There is also a bundle with all the games, but I'm not sure about the pricing because I have most of the stuff already.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Okay, from what I can tell, the stat-increasing bug is still in effect and remains in effect even after a fresh install. And like I thought, it seems to apply to all NPCs because my hit chances are abysmally low even by Very Hard standards.

I'm starting to think that saving and loading is just fundamentally messed up in base Returns, but just to make sure, I'd appreciate if someone with the game could see if they can cause the same thing to happen. Just make a character, get to the initial flashback, and quicksave and quickload several times over (as in save -> load -> save -> load -> save etc.) before talking to New Larry and initiating the first combat. Then see if Sangoma's and Sam's stats look something like this

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 8, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Oh poo poo, I think I've figured out what's going on. When I tried to do the above save/load business on Very Hard, every load increased Sam and Sangoma's stats by 2. Out of curiosity, I tried doing the same on Hard and noticed the same thing happened except their stats increased by 1. On Normal and Easy, there seemed to be no difference.

So what it looks like is that Hard and Very Hard are applying a flat +1 and +2 modifier respectively to all NPC non-Body stats but for some reason it only happens when you load your game, re-applying and stacking every time you do it.

Now here's the real funny part, I started up Dragonfall: Director's Cut where your companions also start off as NPCs on the first screen. I started a game first on Normal and then on Very Hard.

Dietrich's stats upon starting on Normal:

And upon starting on Very Hard:

Flat +2 boost to everything including skills and +1 to Body, which I assume is what all your enemies get on that difficulty in Dragonfall. Now while this is still clearly hosed, fortunately the load/save issue doesn't seem to exist and I know for a fact that I played through the game on Hard without ever noticing anything weird and without my characters' stats ballooning to insane levels.

Unless this is some weird local issue only applying to my games, this seems like a pretty major bug.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 12, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, time to play on Normal? Or to Ironman this poo poo?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That might explain why my player character consistently felt really loving useless compared to Glory, Eiger and Dietrich when I recently played through Dragonfall.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Randarkman posted:

That might explain why my player character consistently felt really loving useless compared to Glory, Eiger and Dietrich when I recently played through Dragonfall.
Blitz is conspicuously absent from this list. I heartily concur.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is crazy. I never noticed anything like this when I played, which was a while ago. Could it be a bug introduced since then by a patch?

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 8, 2017

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Kanfy posted:

I don't know if it matches your description exactly, but it's true that there is a large black vehicle next to the crime scene.

Oh poo poo, my memory was wrong (been a long time or I mixed a few things up), but that's the one! There's no mistaking the A-Team van, guess it's selling guns these days, heh.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

This is crazy. I never noticed anything like this when I played, which was a while ago. Could it be a bug introduced since then by a patch?

When the game was launched it was pretty bug free but i heard they left it pretty buggy for some reason with later patches. Thankfully they mostly patched the bugs in dragonfall and hong kong.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So the game applies the difficulty bonus when you load but it also saves the enemies stats when you save, and that's why it keeps on stacking as the game keep reapplying the bonus over and over through every save/load cycle?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

So, time to play on Normal? Or to Ironman this poo poo?

I mean, I'll probably have to switch to Normal unless someone can figure out how to fix this. I've mentioned it before but I have to do quite a bit more saving and reloading than usual for LP purposes and while it might otherwise make for a funny challenge, I'm not going to deal with having sub-50% hit chances on nearly everything. If I want to play a game where I miss almost every shot, I can just load up XCOM.

Although now that I think about it, there was that way to play DMS on the Dragonfall system which might mean I'd only get the "lighter" and more easily avoidable version of the bug from DF. Not sure what I'll do.

Either way I'm just glad that there seems to be some way to avoid the issue. When I first noticed the same thing happening again, I was pretty worried I'd have to drop this whole LP because of it.

GunnerJ posted:

Hard to say, the pre-Dragonfall version of Returns only had autosaves so even if the issue was around back then already, it would've been far less obvious. I can't find any mention of this bug anywhere, so the idea that it might've existed all this time is kind of nuts.

Poil posted:

So the game applies the difficulty bonus when you load but it also saves the enemies stats when you save, and that's why it keeps on stacking as the game keep reapplying the bonus over and over through every save/load cycle?

I'm no coder but that's what it looks like to me, except that it includes all NPCs including companions not in your party. I don't think the stat increases apply at all unless you do load your game though, so maybe difficulty level has no effect whatsoever until you do that in a given area? Or maybe there's some other passive effect to accuracy or whatever that only applies in combat? I dunno.

For what it's worth, Hong Kong doesn't seem to be affected by this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Just wanted to say your lp got me interested in looking at these games and they've been real fun!

On the bug talk, the only one I saw of note was hilarious and of a similar vein. Instead of a reload overriting all npc stats, it overwrote my character's info with that of a dead npc.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Just wanted to say your lp got me interested in looking at these games and they've been real fun!

On the bug talk, the only one I saw of note was hilarious and of a similar vein. Instead of a reload overriting all npc stats, it overwrote my character's info with that of a dead npc.

Good to hear it, getting even a few people to discover these cool games means this whole thing isn't just a terrible waste of everyone's time. :v:

The only major bug I remember encountering across the games up until now is the fact that in Hong Kong the Rigger companion's skills which allow them to buff their drone don't seem to work properly, making that character a fair bit weaker than they're supposed to be. Other than that it's been mostly minor and avoidable stuff here and there. A little extra polish and fixing wouldn't have hurt the games any, but this stat accumulation thing is the only actually gamebreaking thing I've seen personally.

One of the funnier minor glitches I did come across was also in HK where a combat situation didn't end properly, meaning in the following scene where the characters were supposed to walk away from the area in a group, I instead had to watch them all individually trod their way to the door in turn-based mode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FoolyCharged posted:

The only major issue I remember encountering was one mission in Hong Kong where some NPCs are supposed to give you a key to a safe, but there are about four things you have to do in the right sequence for it to work, and if you do it wrong then you're just left with no way to complete the objective or progress the game. I also missed a particular side quest because (again) I did some stuff in the "wrong" order, which resulted in the email offering the quest not showing up properly. And there's a bunch of little errors and inconsistencies in the text.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Is the difficulty level something you can change in game?

Because then you have the (somewhat hassle-y) solution of switching it to normal when saving and then switching it back to Very Hard after loading.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Is the difficulty level something you can change in game?

Because then you have the (somewhat hassle-y) solution of switching it to normal when saving and then switching it back to Very Hard after loading.

No, you can change it at any time but you have to do it from the main menu which as you say is simply too much of a hassle. I'll probably just play on Normal, it's not like it'll make that much of a difference as far as this LP is concerned.

I'd still like a confirmation from someone that they can reproduce the bug though, just in case. Starting Dragonfall: Director's Cut on Very Hard and checking Dietrich's stats would probably be enough as well.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Kanfy posted:

I'd still like a confirmation from someone that they can reproduce the bug though, just in case. Starting Dragonfall: Director's Cut on Very Hard and checking Dietrich's stats would probably be enough as well.

Can confirm Dietrich's stats match up with what you've seen on my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Can confirm Dietrich's stats match up with what you've seen on my end.

Thanks, I figured as much. Guess I (or someone) should mention this on the forums or reddit or something, people ought to know about it.

• Locked thread