Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Adepts are cool, but way more fun in pen and paper. There's a power that lets you run on walls and another that lets you change your skin and hair color at will. Not in this game though. Must be lazy developers. :v:

Because I am even less creative:
1. male
2. Troll
3. Rifles
4. Trollface

Nobody expects the troll of being the smart one who cracked the computer (unless it was done literary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

That reminds me, fun fact about naming your character: The character limit isn't actually 12.

It's 110.
More like 10/10.

I'd like to see the face of my GM if someone told him that's his runner's name and demanded it be said in full every time. Of course if he was serious I'd bludgeon him to death with the rulebook. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

statting up an adversary exactly as you would a PC is a tremendous waste of time
Isn't that true for pretty much every single system though? Not that I'm disagreeing. The one hit kill crap isn't improved if you're in a group of chronic powergamers and minmaxers.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GoneRampant posted:

Elves also get a bonus to Charisma. Since talking is a huge thing in these games, that tends to make them a popular race.

That and, IMO, they're the best race for most builds.
In pnp they're also the best at being mages by far and the only non-human race that doesn't have any stat penalties or drawbacks in any way. Just lots of advantages. Naturally they're the second cheapest meta type to be too. Only human is cheaper since it's the base that costs nothing. Freaking dandelion eaters.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Dwarves are actually the best mages, not elves, and you're not playing a troll right if you can't laugh off a railgun to the face and bench press a truck. Elves are just fast and good looking, which admittedly gets them a long way.
Dwarves do get their +1 for drain rolls with all magic traditions but elves get a freaking +2 on a much more useful stat and you still have a ton of charisma based traditions to chose from. The only drawback is that dwarves are better at soaking damage and people are more prone to aim for a fancy pansy elf bastard.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 25, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Sorry, I meant in SRR. You're absolutely right about tabletop, letting elves take charisma traditions is crazy.
Oh, I thought you were also talking tabletop. Sorry. I was too prepared to argue against dwarf mage supremacy. :downs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've never actually played as a decker because I only played the first game once and gave up near the end and in the sequels you get a permanent decker party member who can handle it with no problems.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Well... Seattle can't be any worse than this.

Spoilers, Seattle will be all kinds of worse than this.
How bad could it possibly be? :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Eh, they're cheap enough and you don't run into too many enemies with the counter
Only about half the enemies in the dlc. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You get hit for 30 damage and you take 2 bleeding at the start of your turn. gently caress YOU GAME RAAARGAHAHAGGHHHH!!!!!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice place for a nap, but the place is a bit dead.

UnwiseTrout posted:

The Chunky Salsa rule refers to the tendency of the tabletop ruled grenades to render creatures into it when you use a grenade in an enclosed area. You're ”supposed" to calculate the force of the blast being reflected by any surface it doesn't destroy and dealing (reduced) damage on each pass. It's a lot of needless math, imo. Easier to say that a grenade in a small solid room kills people dead.
Also the rules are so batdrek crazy that throwing a flashbang in a corridor will turn heavily armored trolls into a red mist.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 27, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, he really holds the spirit of a jester.
Hopefully not literarily.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kept hearing the game's sound effects when reading. In particular that SPLAT sound when you kill someone.

A morgue sounds nice and cool in the summer. But aren't the hellokittenswieners supposed to use flamethrowers? Or am I getting them mixed up with another gang?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup" :smaug:

What better way to inspire confidence than knowing that the guy who has a cyberarm strong enough to crush a skull with a built-in grenade launcher is popping pills like candy?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

To be honest, the added Japanese feels kinda forced and reeks of weeaboo rather than any meaningful flavor. No surprise I don't remember any of it from the later games.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I've played some Shadowrun pnp and I've never heard another player or GM (RM?) actually use the in-universe slang.

Keeshhound posted:

Part of that was the 80's meme that Japan was going to wind up owning the U.S. The next two games take place in Germany and Hong Kong, so...
True but not many npc's in those games throw in German and Cantonese words. Heck in the third game hardly any of the dialog is actually in English.

Kanfy posted:

Eh, Kubota's half-Japanese and it's a fairly common trope for people speaking a foreign language to throw in foreign words here and there. Aside from her, I think so far there's just been that one "So ka" from New Larry.

But yeah, it's part of the slang which they mostly drop in the later games. You don't see nearly as many "drek-eating grins" or what have you anymore either, thankfully.
English is my second language but I have no inclinations whatsoever to randomly add Swedish words for no reason when I speak/type in English. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 3, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psion posted:

I think you should start, min vän.
No, go suck a surströmming.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yup. :)

Kanfy posted:

I'm with you, in fact I've successfully managed to get through the entire LP so far without a single word in Finnish, but it's still a fairly a popular trope in fiction so I can usually let it slide.

It's been a while since I last played it, but I'm pretty sure you see the occasional "herr" and "frau" in Dragonfall as well.
Well, that's more like throwing in the word sensei or -san when referring to someone so it's not as bad.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 3, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Drek happens. :shrug:

Really weird bug.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Iretep posted:

The real reason to take quickness over str when you want the 3rd weapon slot is quickness increases dodge while str raises nothing useful besides damage. Which leads to me to wonder why ever even do a melee build when its so point hungry for so littler return. Like later games actually make melee a bit more useful mechanically but thats for those times. Right now im pretty sure str is pure garbage.
Yeah, I played through Honk Kong with a wared up adept troll with pumped strength and cyber claws. Even the bullshit enemies in the extra campaign didn't stand a chance against it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So the game applies the difficulty bonus when you load but it also saves the enemies stats when you save, and that's why it keeps on stacking as the game keep reapplying the bonus over and over through every save/load cycle?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

This is a politics-free LP, no reason to deal with more than one dark dystopic future at a time.
Compared to real life future Shadowrun has:

+Magic
+No global warming
+Dwarves, trolls and other cool races
+Affordable cybernetics, the most basic 20/20 cybereyes costs as much as an iphone and can be done in an afternoon

-Magical monsters like hellhounds and ghouls

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pfft guard dogs are so lame. Guard hell hounds are a lot better but still not quite on the level as a wared up guard grizzly bear. There are rules for them in pen and paper, and yes you can buy one.

BurningStone posted:

You got me to pull this game back out. I've finished it as a rifleman and a mage, but I'd never tried drones. They're good, but it feels wrong to not be killing stuff myself.
Drones are kinda a hassle though, you have to manually activate them in combat every single time. :effort:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think his name was Butz or something, but yes. Is0bel is a million times better and cooler than he ever was.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hang on, she didn't do that.

Ze Pollack posted:

deckers are the worst
Yes.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 15, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

betamax hipster posted:

And miss the sweet sleeveless combat armor they sell? No thanks.
And adept powers.

Kanfy posted:

Skyrim? Pff, Ultima V did that already back in 1988. They also took breaks to eat during dinner time.

And shouted at you if you were too poor to buy their wares.

That's pretty cool.

Gothic 2 did that as well. The first shopkeeper npc you run across is a shopkeeper's apprentice at a small stall outside his master's shop. During the day he stands behind it, goes and sweeps the street in front of it, during the evenings he goes to the tavern at the market square and at night he sleeps in his bed at his master's house. Oh and he occasionally goes into the alley near his stall and has a piss against the city wall.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Predator is kinda silly since it's, as far as I know, always the best choice for a handgun regardless of edition.

GhostStalker posted:

Speaking of mods, I wish this game had a weapon modding system like tabletop, allowing you to stuff extras into your weapons besides just smartlinks. But I guess that's way too much granular detail for people unfamiliar with the system and probably quite a bit of work for something a bunch of players would never bother with.
Yes! :fap:

Spending far too much time pouring over the books just for a single gun is quite fun. What upgrades to get for it? What ammunition to use? If it's a shotgun or rifle is it better to go for the bayonet or the monofilament chainsaw? Underbarrel bola thrower? Underbarrel grenade launcher? Underbarrel flamethrower (yes, you can mount that on a flamethrower)? There's just too much awesome stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

In 5 it isn't. There's a published adventure partially based around it: Ares Small Arms is horrified to discover that they are definitively bottom of the rankings at this season's self defense expos, and a series of Ares-on-Ares shadowruns follow as the execs involved make desperate bids to shift the blame.
It is. The stats in the rulebook doesn't lie. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A shaman can just send an angry spirit to deal with personal slights on their own.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I keep thinking his name is McTusky for some reason.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

McTusky's sounds like an Orc and Troll aimed fast food restaurant.
Would you like your drink to be medium, large or troll sized?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

We're goons, dragon sized.
I'm pretty sure that dragon sized would be big enough to take a bath in. A very sticky and unhygienic bath, but still.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For one character idea I had my mage would be following the metal tradition. As in carrying around an electric guitar and using appropriate spells to go with the rocking theme. I was playing Brütal Legend when I came up with it which may have influenced things. :shobon:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psion posted:

so like when you level up did you get a multi-neck guitar like a decker would upgrade their deck? :v:
No, but that's a good idea. It was a power focus so it could have gotten a new neck for every rating.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

betamax hipster posted:

Cyberpunk as gently caress.
It's only missing the spraying flames. Is anyone more cyberpunk than Bill Bailey?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vampires need to drink blood daily but they only need to drain essence once a month, according to the rulebook at least. So I always assumed that ghouls eat the meat to sustain themselves and the traces of essence is what the virus requires.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you thought BTL addiction was horrible, try understanding the rules for it in the latest edition. :shepicide:

Keeshhound posted:

Well, those were perscription.
It's all beautiful.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Try understanding the rules for anything in tabletop Shadowrun.
How hard is it to make sense of them? https://www.reddit.com/r/gametales/comments/1nbjhe/xpostshadowrun_everyone_is_dead_san_francisco_is/ :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Losing one entire essence and only grabbing a datajack with no other ware is a terribly bad idea for anyone who's got magic. They better be amazing sharpshooters to even hope to make up for that. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A shame you didn't get a bug with being jacked in in the meat world and could run around hitting enemies for meat matrix levels of damage. :v:

• Locked thread