Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Figures. Got a contact list so dead our only lead is from beyond the grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do grenades follow the Chunky Salsa rules or do they just do their damage once to everything in the blast radius?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Liver. From a drunk.

So I'm guessing "organ repo man" or possibly "ritual-chasing wackaloon"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I like that this game acknowledges previous games that have happened without, like, being devoted to them. Jake Armitage as your Jeigan is pretty neat. Jake Armitage as the actual protagonist while you were a custom sprite behind him less so.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does this game model addiction or withdrawl at all, or are these pure buff potions?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
(Shadowrun 3E-era metaplot excised for whoops.)

Right. Sorry, I figured this guy might be trying to pull some of the information out of Fourth or Fifth ed, neither of which I was terribly caught up on, but I bought like all of the third-ed plot books with my misspent youth's wallet.

I mean, I suppose that's one advantage of a game - if it has a past it gets to be multiple choice.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 5, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It sure is convenient and not suspicious at all that the one coroner we knew happened to show up so far away from his usual place of work.

Robots vs. hellhounds sounds like a fun excursion though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The sad thing is, we may not have been wrong. You get wired enough and your boss will sell your snuff reel and your corpse.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hellhounds strike me as the sort of creature who like to be told they are a good boy by the kind of person who has a treat for a good boy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, your crew's got fixed equipment? One of my favorite parts of the Genesis game was upgrading everyone's gear.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine eventually there'll be cyberware worth purchasing for a rigdecker? Skillwires or something?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So can you attack other characters through the matrix, or only ones that are actively jacked in and trying to mess with you?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, no Coyote? I guess she's not really up to this level of game right now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, any idiot can be a shadowrunner. Being a shadowrunner more than once, however, is usually a sign that you're a badass.

Yeah, the difference between a mercenary and a shadowrunner is that shadowrunners get paid more but mercenaries get paid more up front.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Psion posted:

I assume he meant the guy asking about chop shops back in Pike Place, but it's a pretty awkward line. To the best of my knowledge you only ever talk to Dresden about him, so how does Johnny know? And he's just asking about them, not working at them :shrug:

Well, I mean. The Ripper is obviously some kind of surgeon so being related to a chop shop isn't that much of a stretch.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Heh. Nice one with the receptionist. Smuggo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Actually I wonder if those video disks are from the guy the elf wound up replacing, and those bunraku blanks have just been... sitting there while all this madness went on?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kanfy posted:

I don't think anything's pointing at the real Holmes being a shady character, plus the description about the bunraku man specifically mentions he was operated on recently:

Ah, fair enough. I just found it a little weird people were thinking they knew exactly who'd made the trid: that guy who stole another guy's face.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, given how astral echoes work I wonder how all of Seattle hasn't already turned itself into a festering pit of murder-spite.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, this took a turn. Now we're guilty of the heinous and unpardonable crime of not dyin', and the recidivism rate on that is through the roof.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kanfy posted:

Personally I think it turned out pretty well, it's much easier to tell what's going on at a glance. Plus it makes firefights look much cooler. The downside is a little extra :effort: from my part so it's entirely possible I'll give up on it immediately out of pure laziness but hey, enjoy the added competence while it lasts. :v:

It does make things look much cooler, and I am told by many reliable sources that the purpose of Let's Plays is to look cool for the Internet, so keep it up!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

King Doom posted:

Someone do a lore dump about the Otaku. They were basically an AI worshipping cult, right?

They were the guys who could talk to the Matrix with their mind before the Technomancers, who could talk to a more different Matrix with their mind, showed up. They were kind of like Matrix mages, mechanically, in that they could jack their own powers up, by banding together with other otaku at "resonance wells", somehow-uncharted bits of the Matrix.

I suppose you could call those cults? And sometimes AIs did get involved with them. But nothing about them was necessarily different from the rest of the shadowrunners, a miserable pile of game mechanics.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

mauman posted:

Bug spirits were only known about by a very few chosen at this point.

This takes place before the Chicago Clusterfuck.

Didn't stop me from freaking right the gently caress out I tell you what.'

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can see how they wanted to get the tactical angle of things down for the first campaign, and one of the things I really liked about, say, the Genesis game, was that you could do shadowruns whenever you wanted.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I mean... he could just be saying it's Aztechnology. They have a terrible rep, and all runners work for Mr. Johnson, anyway. Who's going to check his story?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Points for offline security. So many people forget about that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Just goes to show. When you get the chance, always jump off the roof.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ze Pollack posted:

The scary thing about bug spirits, from a metaplot standpoint, is not that they exist. They're a known quantity to the immortals of the setting, there's ways to beat them, even if they're a huge pain in the rear end and the population density of the Sixth World means wiping out the village they took over is a bigger deal than before. The scary thing about bug spirits is it has been less than a generation since magic came back, and they've already showed up.

The timetable has been accelerated hugely, and that means dragons do not have a nice, comfortable couple centuries to prepare for the Horrors. They have less than twenty years. And there is no way we'll be ready in time to face them.

I mean, there's a way that might buy everyone a little time- the Sacrifice of the Beloved King seemed to work okay in principle in the Fourth World- but who could possibly make themselves not only ruler of one of these mortal nations, but legitimately beloved, in that little time? And if you gently caress it up, that's it, you're dead, it's over, no Seventh World for you.

[file photo: dunkelzahn for president dot jpeg]

Fortunately for everyone involved, the Matrix went crazy over Milkshake Dragon, the wacky dragon who loved drinking milkshakes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ze Pollack posted:

similarly, one of the better tools in the game, and what makes a good wage-mage terrifying, is magesight goggles.

see, spells require you to have line-of-sight to the thing you're casting at to fire.

and then some Awakened kid who remembered a tiny bit of Wikipedia-That-Was asked the question "wait, does fiber-optic cable count as line of sight?"

answer: yes, which means if your pre-run casing shows that the security cameras are hooked up to a fiber-optic network with no matrix access, be prepared for any camera that spots you to start launching fireballs.

Well, no. The mage still makes the fireballs. So, yeah, they can still shoot fireballs at you if they want to punch through the building in the process, but all the magic that doesn't shoot physical things from the mage to you can still get dropped on you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm interested to see what kind of thing they're going to throw at you for this final mission.

And, like, on one hand I can understand not wanting to "waste" any of this money by not spending it, but on the other hand, that leftover bankroll will keep you going for a year.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can understand wanting something to take multiple shots from the launcher to kill. Maybe a launcher shot could also strip all AP from the bug so as long as you connect with one you don't have to refight it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a shame that you can't productively engage with that boss fight gimmick.

• Locked thread