Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
As someone who's always been interested in this setting, but never found anybody in my life to play it with (my college chums were all into D&D), this game was a treat... and the expansions to come were even better! So good on Harebrained Schemes for it, I say.

Will be following this with interest! (Especially as I've never quite played through with an elf, felt too much like easy mode.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Man, the level of choice in these encounters is pretty good; I only ever found a couple of those options... and I didn't know it was even possible to deal with the BTL guys in a violent manner, so I know what I'm doing next playthrough! (On a personal note, the SR games do a stellar job of portraying BTL chips and the addiction it creates as both understandable and legitimately horrifying, like any good drug should be, and portraying their dealers as the worst kind of fuckers imaginable, so kudos to HBS for making it so good to shoot them in the face.)

Also: :stare: I have never played a rigger before, and I see now that that is a mistake.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Kanfy posted:

And by "spirit" I mean this godforsaken abomination bearing the name "Apocalypse". Man, I remember when we used to summon cute water and earth spirits, these days it's just one affront to nature after another.

Well, I have heard that the way spirit summoning works, at least as far as this game is concerned, then what is summoned is more based upon the area of the summoning, rather than the person summoning their actual spirit (which always kinda helps them in the background, provided the shaman is doing things to keep that spirit happy). And this place... does not strike me as being capable of attracting any spirits that are cute.

Speaking of which... wow, I had forgotten how completely, unambiguously evil the bad guys get in this game, which kinda murders the whole dichotomy of ambiguity this setting is kinda supposed to be about doesn't it? Don't get me wrong, there's pure evil in the other games too, but it seems more... incidental, I guess? to the story, dancing on the fringes instead of plopping you down with an unabashed monster and his lair of horrors; a good villain should be at least a little bit relatable, and how on earth is Silas/Holmes relatable to anything or anybody, after you find out what he's up to? Come to that, how is Shannon not a pure hero as portrayed; about the only bad thing she did was assist us in breaking and entering in private property, and that's just, pfft, another night for a runner. Thankfully, both DF and HK are much better about moral ambiguity, about setting you in a giant morass of a world where everyone has their own agenda, and the glimmers of goodness and hope you see actually feel like surprises and things worth protecting, instead of par for the course.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Edit: Just noticed the meaning of Tsilon Siereht's name. Heh.

... Oh, goddamn it. :doh:

And also in "goddamn it" news: I could've gotten 75K nuyen for the AEGIS thing? Geez, I'm... not really a good shadowrunner at all, am I? (I never even explored those latter two options, because I know a little bit of Shadowruns backstory, and.... well, as has been discussed, insect spirits are not nice, y'all. Not. Nice.)

But I am eager to see a decker do a mission in all of their glory. Wow... decking is cool. (As these games have it.)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Anyway, you need to get paid! Which would be great except for one thing - I got nothin’. Never did! You know how it is, right? Sorry. But hey - thanks again for giving a crap! Seriously. I appreciate it.

Excuse me?

Not gonna lie... when I got to that part, I laughed- really long and really hard. Because of course, of course this would be the end of it, and yet. Sam, you bastard... but I get the joke.

Said that last thing too. And asked for money, because damned if I was gonna go through all that and just have a feeling of accomplishment.

• Locked thread