Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tiggum posted:

A loving annoying countermeasure that really takes the shine off the fun new grenade launcher you just got. Combine that with the AI being way too grenade-savvy to begin with and grenades themselves being consumables so you don't like to use them in case a better use comes up later, and it adds up to yet another game where they were apparently paranoid about grenades being overpowered and so decided to preemptively ruin them. :argh:

Eh, they're cheap enough and you don't run into too many enemies with the counter; I usually tucked one or two away on everyone for emergency use. Especially concussion/flashbangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Wow. That's almost literally "I'm so good at shooting things that all my problems are solved via my ability to shoot things."

Or as it's known in other circles, equestrian medicine.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Danaru posted:

One of my favourite things about Jake's appearance is that he kept the glasses :haw: Also I'm pretty sure he's the only Decker/Shaman class character in the game(s) because that makes no drat sense if you're anyone who isn't Jake Armitage

It not efficient/terribly practical from a Karma spending perspective, but you can make it work. Hell, being able to toss your mind into the matrix may even predispose some people into shamanism.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Kanfy posted:

If memory serves Dragonfall has the harshest first battle, probably because it was initially an expansion. All in all Returns is downright leisurely at the beginning compared to how quickly things escalate in those two.

Oh yeah. That first battle was brutal--especially since you're expected to be forced to retreat.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Previous ones have been just fine.
This one seems a bit jumbled/low, but that could be from how you sampled it. The crowd(?) noise is good for gameplay effect, but obscures the music.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Dietrich was damned solid too. Eiger and Butz were kinda weak though, yeah--especially when compared to a literal psycho with a murderbot.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

Dietrich was the former punk rocker that was still headbutting the authority even past middle age, correct?

Dragonfall's the only one that I never really finished. I might have to check out the Director's Cut.

Hey, he had character. And he was a damned good support guy--haste the blender Glory, toss up a damage wall to protect the rest of the crew, toss -AP balls all day.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

An aside, I love that Hong Kong introduces different decks. The Novatech Slimcase is just a glorious thing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah. It doesn't make for a good focus for material, but on the flipside it adds a nice dash of "Consequences" and making things lived-in a bit when you have to deal with SINners--calling them "wageslaves" may be accurate, but it's too casually dehumanizing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

And the last thing you want to be next to a ghoul with sour tummy. Imagine the unique bouquet that would produce.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

What I found interesting is the way Hong Kong presents BTLs. Bit more nuance there--plus an actual decision besides "smash bad thing."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Uh.

uhhhh....

"oops"

Truly, a victim of his own success :v:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah I bet its that one team from hong kong's internet boards that keeps losing people to increasingly dumb things.

It would have to be the guy that keeps losing teams, since this was a full party wipe.

Still, "runner" shouldn't imply "competent"--any idiot with a gun and a poor sense of risk management can be a runner.
"Experienced, Veteran runner" OTOH, definitely says that person is either really lucky, or has some real skills.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

OP/Mods, you know what to do.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Hyperthreading is Decking 10.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Poil posted:

I don't remember this location at all.

Kinda unpleasant place though. Let's hope there won't be any candlestick puzzles or mad vampire hunters torching the place.

I don't think you'll have anything along those likes to complain agrout

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

megane posted:

Ru Paul's Dragon Race.

:golfclap:

"If you can't love yourself how the hell are you gonna love someone else?"
"With ketchup." :kheldragar:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

Ah, the ol' White Wolf Trujah caveat.

Oh god. Not that.

You are a bad person and I hope you feel bad.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

To think, the people sold as chattel are the lucky ones. Sometimes, anyway.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Totem spirits (in general) are the embodiment of a certain archetype; for instance Dog is very loyal and protective of his friends, Rat is an urban survivor and thief, and so on. Totems are drawn to spiritually magic folks that match their personalities, so a shaman whose totem is Dog will more than likely be very loyal and protective of his friends even before being approached by the totem.

Knowing that, imagine what the spiritual embodiment of toxic waste is like. Then imagine the types of people who'd draw that spirit's attention.

Animals, madmen all.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Keep in mind that, while an interesting and fun character, he was also an absolute monster that could effortlessly be slotted into a campaign as the big bad.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Poil posted:

You could play a decker yourself but then the most competent fighter on the team is tied up snorting pixel dust all the time.

There are some times where you have to jack in/off during a running fight where that'll be a pain, but for the most part it's either between fights or just before one ("got the data....and now there's an alarm even though I didn't trip anything"). I could be misremembering, but I don't recall too many times where my decker main has been out of action from combat due to their crippling candy crush addiction.

Really the problem is that the datajack prevents you from being a great mage, and the karma needs don't synergize well with any other combat stats.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

RedMagus posted:

Was it ever explicit that Sam sold his mom for a payday and a new liver, other than the one loading screen? Been a while since I played.

Nah. There were breadcrumbs that led to "Sam got a new liver" and "Sam likely got his new liver from his mom" but the jump from that to "Sam ganked his dead mom's liver and liquidated her other major organs on the black market for more hookers and blow" is somewhat jarring. And yet, from what we know of the guy not terribly surprising.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

I didn't remember any mention of Sam getting more money when he had his "miracle" recovery, so my interpretation was that momma Watts might have been registered as an organ donor and committed suicide in order to save his life, causing Jessica to blame him for that, rather than Sam having an active role in it.

Oh, I don't think he ganked his own mother, but after she died and gave him her liver, he may very well have pocketed some nuyen from some additional harvesting. Not going to make him rich, but definitely keep him comfy. Not like she was going to need the parts, after all...

That said, it could simply be she was a donor and Sam was just a specific recipient. Really could go either way. vOv

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

Yeah, BoS have always been huge assholes. It's just in in Fallout 3 is the only real exception, because :bethesda:

Nah, there were still BoS assholes in that game. "Outcasts"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Oh yeah, you may want to dedicate some karma to buff ranged weapons though. For, er, reasons.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Skypie posted:

I'd always been under the impression that the runner who takes wetwork jobs is kinda rare. Like, yeah, they'll kill people in self defense or who get in the way, but the person who will pick up an out right assassination isn't your "average" runner.

They're not good guys though, for sure.

Definitely takes a certain type, but nuyen is nuyen at the end of the day. Depends on who the person getting hit works for too--it's one thing to steal from a mega, it's another thing to start whacking their people specifically. Not that they care, generally, but taking out a midlevel guy or better will probably affect project timetables and that means there'll be hell to pay. So there's that heat to consider.

More likely though, a liquidation job would be against another runner or other annoyance.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

painedforever posted:

I don't think so.

Shadowrun Returns didn't have a lot of weapons. No snipers, pretty sure that there wasn't a minigun, certainly no cannons. There's an assortment of rifles, shotguns, pistols and SMGs. And a "special weapon", which is just a shotgun for all intents and purposes.

Only it doesn't use that skill, frustratingly.

Edit: Apparently I was wrong when I tested it--thought Shotguns affected to-hit %, when it just affects critical chance. You'll still want an Really High Ranged Weapons skill though...and that's all I'll say for now.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 3, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Bacchante posted:

Dunno if it's been mentioned or not, but someone ported all of Deadman's Switch into SR:HK, with a bunch of added content and updates. I've been playing it. Kinda interesting, though some of the additions thus far have been... odd. Plus, of course, brand new bugs to deal with.

That last bit a spoiler?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

I love how this guy gets hyped to all hell.

And then you go into a mission with him.

Never meet your heroes. Or supposed novahot deckers with a gimmick.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

FrankZP posted:

Good grief, you can say that again.

Meanwhile, in the real world, before long we'll see on the news someone getting killed by a hacker taking control of their wi-fi enabled can opener.

Not too far from that. Last massive wave of DDOS attacks were from IoT compromised devices. In other worse, hacked refrigerators and toasters. Turns out there's millions of em, with no security to speak of.

Sleep well!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Of course he also sent the details regarding the location of the sample via e-mail to his boss whose office is two rooms away, so not too many points.

Eh, the boss may be out more than in. Email is a great way to tag a guy who could be at a club or at home.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

IT came round afterwards and put a few rounds into anything more than four years old. Brand new kit and it'll go on Security's budget, not theirs.

...that's actually a smart move on their part, and I could totally see that happening.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Xander77 posted:

My eyes protectively slid off that block of text the moment it mentioned uzi-wielding ninjas.

The prose isn't the most well-put together fanfic, but it's really not that bad. Fits well within the universe.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Zeniel posted:

I'm not 100% on what the requirements were but if you chose your dialogue options poorly you certainly wouldn't end up with the Ghost helping you out, which is pretty lovely because it was essentially a game ender.

Nah. You CAN finish the game with just two Aegis launchers. It's just a damned grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Alpha Protocol was amazing in that regard. All of the characters had their own personality quirks, so even if you made what looked like a neutral choice on paper, there was a decent chance someone down the line loving hated wishy washy neutrals and would react accordingly

Never stop suave/snarking Marburg

• Locked thread