Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
This looks like fun, and it reminds me rhat I've got Dragonfall sitting around about 30 minutes into the game. Worth waiting this thread out to see how it goes before playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

I like how Federated Boeing exists in both Shadowrun and Battletech. Also in regards to rain, I think its just the Shadowrun Seattle shtick and Bladerunner that codified that.

They are were both FASA, after all.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Slaan posted:

Sorkinology

You wouldn't believe how cult like a West Wing can get

*documentary camera follows a cultist, walking-and-talking endlessly through twisted hallways*
:geno:: What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next...

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

sebmojo posted:

1e d&d had a limit of 18/50 for strength, not a penalty. so the strongest man had a couple of additional strength slots on the strongest woman. if everyone rolled stats properly instead of cheating like Steve (goddammit Steve) then it was some tiny proportion of characters that would be affected.

idk, its as nonsensical as any other bit of gygaxian quasi realism but not intrinsically offensive.

For those not mathematically inclined, using standard 3d6 rolling this restriction would affect one in 432 characters. On average, 430 of them would've rolled below 18 and one would've naturally gotten 18/50 or less. Given the natural variance in human strength, this is neither unreasonable nor unrealistic. Compared to women's records, men's Olympic weightlifting records are about 40% higher, and unequipped powerlifting records are about 50% higher for deadlift, 60% higher for bench press and 70% higher for squat.

Of course, the natural variations of humanity also never meet dragons, fight against hordes of monsters, or cast bolts of fire using eldritch powers, so a certain degree of departure from strict realism should certainly be accepted to make for a more interesting game. In that respect I am glad that there don't seem to be gender differences anymore for most stats - I don't know if drow are still an exception, but they're not human anyway.

e: it's "drow", not "drop"

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 27, 2017

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Now that we’re drawing toward the end, I just wanted to say that this has been a phenomenal thread for its wonderful combination of gameplay and lore. Truly enjoyable to read whether there has been an update or not. I can’t say that about many LPs, so well done!

• Locked thread