Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Well... Seattle can't be any worse than this.

Could be worse; could be Chicago. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kanfy posted:

My pleasure. I'm here from internal affairs to review the forensics guys' work, to find anything they might have missed.

Sure dig in. I certainly wouldn't mind those guys getting taken down a peg or two. Man do they put on airs if you know what I mean.

Wait, seriously? You swallowed that one without question just because I brought you a donut? You people are all hilariously terrible at your jobs.
I'm starting to see why Lone Star ended up losing the Seattle contract to Knight Errant.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

Don't forget the ol' Shadowrun standby pistol, the Ares Predator. Any self respecting Runner should never leave their squat without it. I forget which model the one in the game is, probably the Predator 2 because it kinda looks like the Robocop gun.

Returns takes place during the "second edition" portion of the timeline, so it'd be a Pred II. The Predator version is always the same as the edition you're in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

Guess the bad press from the Excalibur debacle hasn't blown over just yet...

Hey, if Renkaru can recover from "oops we accidentally created an insane AI that killed a bunch of our own people, almost destroyed the Matrix, and was part of a literal almost-the-end-of-the-world scenario", Ares can sure as hell bounce back from Excalibur.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Not that I've ever played Shadowrun tabletop. I want to, but man those rules. :sigh:

Tell me about it. I just started a 4e campaign tonight and I'd forgotten how many steps there are to loving everything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

UnwiseTrout posted:

Ya'll are talking about McHughs, home of the Hugh burger. Featuring a delicious grilled soy Patty with processed cheese flavored food and their proprietary Pick’ls. Don't forget the cassava fries! For their soy conscious patrons they also offer The Kriller, a shaped grilled krill patty. McHughs is known to be pretty safe for patrons, given that each location has chemical and metal detectors installed on the entrances and is rumored to have the air vents rigged with stun gas.
If you want to talk cyber-dystopia RPGs and their insane fast food franchises, you have to mention the now-forgotten Underground RPG, where there's an actual cannibal fast food chain called Tastee Ghoul ("Are you a people person?") that you can sell your body to like an organ donor, or the more upscale cannibalism chain Sweeny's.

Bet that soyburger's lookin' better now, eh?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

There are also AIs that are around, but they tend to either be murderous (Deus, who tried to upload himself to become a literal God in the Machine in both the Renraku Arcology and Second Matrix Crash incidents, forming much of the metaplot for 3rd Ed) or really reclusive because they really don't want a megacorp capturing and experimenting on them, like has happened before (again, Renraku).
It's explicitly stated in one of the books that nobody actually knows how to make an AI yet. The three or so that have popped up have created pretty much spontaneously.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

After the second Crash (which I believe was part of the 4th edition timeline) a number of other "Digital Intelligences" began to pop up, so they're much more common now. As of when I stopped following I don't think anyone had deliberately made one yet though.
Yeah, Crash 2.0 was the end of the 3rd Edition line, intended to set up 4th Edition. It was a way to alter the Matrix to allow for wireless tech and AR and such to make the Matrix line up more with our modern concepts of computer technology (the Matrix before that was based on 90's computing concepts), as well as tying up plotlines from 3e.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Totem spirits (in general) are the embodiment of a certain archetype; for instance Dog is very loyal and protective of his friends, Rat is an urban survivor and thief, and so on. Totems are drawn to spiritually magic folks that match their personalities, so a shaman whose totem is Dog will more than likely be very loyal and protective of his friends even before being approached by the totem.

Knowing that, imagine what the spiritual embodiment of toxic waste is like. Then imagine the types of people who'd draw that spirit's attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Animals, madmen all.

And here we see a runner blowing an Infiltration skill test.

• Locked thread