Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Psion posted:

code:
01100100 01110010 01101111 01101110 01100101 
name the drone this :v:

First and last character differ only by one? I didn't even have to throw that into a binary-to-ascii converter. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

ulmont posted:

Yeah, but mages have to take Magic A, no exceptions.

*Fine, physical adepts, but they aren't mages and they know it.

That's not even strictly 100% true - a magician with Priority A gets Magic 6, two magical skills at Rating 5, and 10 spells. A magician with Priority B gets Magic 4, two magical skills at Rating 4, and 7 spells. You can still be a magician even without taking Priority A in magic.

But wait, Magic 4 is lame and stupid, you say? Well, if you're a human who picks Priority D for their metatype, you get 3 bonus special attributes - one of which is Magic - allowing you to boost your Magic to 6 and still have a bonus point to put into Edge, same as if you took Priority E for your metatype. You still take Resources E because lol mages don't need money, but now instead of having priority B and C left over for attributes and skills, you have A and C. This equates to either 4 more attribute points or 10 more skill points, both of which easily cost more in karma than the 15 it would cost to buy three spells to get you back to 10.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

OutofSight posted:

Exebit A. In which "Olesh" proves, that all shadowrun players are awful powergamers.

(Sorry Olesh. Nothing personal. Your post summed just up, how my last SR group (still 4e) approached the game. 5 hours char creation alone...)

I've never even played pen and paper Shadowrun before; I created a character earlier this week for a campaign a friend of mine is starting. It took me all of 30 seconds to pick up on the fact that raising stats or skills with karma at character creation varies wildly in costs. It is trivially easy to create two characters with identical stats and skills but one of whom spent significantly more karma during character creation than the other for identical results. This doesn't go into advantages or disadvantages or cyberware or any of that poo poo, it's just basic character generation poo poo.

When you offer multiple identical options, but some of them are arbitrarily more expensive, why would anyone knowingly choose the more expensive option? Why does the more expensive option even exist?

• Locked thread