Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The only fond memory I have of playing SR tabletop is that I had a human with maximum Edge, mediocre Pistols, and Astral Beacon. I flavored him as a BTL Junkie who thinks he's a character in an old western, but he's so impossibly, supernaturally lucky that not only does he get away with it, he lights op on the Astral Plane like a Christmas tree.

He got iced on our first run because a revolver's effective range of 60' isn't exactly helpful when there's a sniper on the other end of a canyon. I haven't really played with that GM since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thesaya posted:

Name it Prime!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poil posted:

You get hit for 30 damage and you take 2 bleeding at the start of your turn. gently caress YOU GAME RAAARGAHAHAGGHHHH!!!!!
It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to cure ongoing damage before it pinged the person.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It wouldn't be Shadowrun if there weren't actively-detrimental rules minutia.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MagusofStars posted:

Serious question from someone who's never played the tabletop: If the rules are as hosed as everyone is saying, how do people play? Do you just SWAG a bunch of stuff or is there some commonly accepted set of homebrew house rules that fix stuff?
Some people just deal with it and houserule the hell out of it, other people run the setting in other systems.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I never bothered with stims, honestly, but that's mostly just because I never know the right time to use them. Any time I'd do that, I can almost always think of something just as useful to do with that turn. It took me a while to even accept the idea of using Medkits, but aside from getting the achievement in DF, I always just sold them. :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

Narratively, the entirety of Hong Kong is in cantonese, just translated for the player's benefit.

Kanfy posted:

It's been a while since I last played it, but I'm pretty sure you see the occasional "herr" and "frau" in Dragonfall as well.

Poil posted:

Well, that's more like throwing in the word sensei or -san when referring to someone so it's not as bad.
See also: Dragonfall being in German, narratively. I really appreciate that HBS doesn't just set everything in Seattle, :911: and call it good. You get to see the actual world of Shadowrun. It's refreshing.

Kanfy posted:

Doesn't tell us much, except that she might very well be a goon.

Was this intentional, or just serendipity?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 3, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whether you're right or not, better not to speculate. The game doesn't take any setting knowledge as a given, so we could very easily spoil something.

As a metaphorical example, SR Returns doesn't assume that you know that Gandalf the Gray comes back as Gandalf the White.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Petition to name this bug Pemmin's Aura.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanfy posted:

I can't, that's not Amazon!
Did Jake decide he was bored of being only-pretty-good?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Replay up to your current point on a new file, see if it keeps happening?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A point or two can be nice if you use grenades regularly, at least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Paco just disappeared from my group, so now Murphy is talking in his place. I'm starting to think I have talent for encountering bizarre bugs in this game.
The role of Paco will now be played by Tom Servo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, time to play on Normal? Or to Ironman this poo poo?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Randarkman posted:

That might explain why my player character consistently felt really loving useless compared to Glory, Eiger and Dietrich when I recently played through Dragonfall.
Blitz is conspicuously absent from this list. I heartily concur.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RedMagus posted:

Wasn't saving/loading anywhere something they added in much later, and on release it was saved only on the beginning of a mission? I forget, but I swear there was some grumbling on that.
Deadman's Switch is to Dragonfall is as Fallout 3 is to New Vegas.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Drone
FYAD
GBS 3.0
Jade Rabbit
Prime
Tom Servo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Enord

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Death by robot!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanfy posted:

It's more evident in Dragonfall and Hong Kong, but I think they overall did a good job giving personality to the player character despite them being a completely blank slate. While it obviously depends on what you pick, I find that many of the best lines in these games are spoken by the PC. Heck, just shooting poo poo with your childhood buddy between missions in Hong Kong is one of my favorite parts in the whole series because of how natural they manage to make it sound.

Fallout New Vegas is another game which left me with the same impression, with the Courier feeling like a character of their own instead of being just a dialogue robot.
[Intelligence 2/Luck 7] ICE CREAM!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

UnwiseTrout posted:

I just wish there were instances where using his "non-lethal takedown" would reflect in the narrative.
Non-lethal double tap.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In Dragonfall, if you wanna put points into something purely for dialogue, do Int. There's a lot of raw int checks, and more than a few Decking checks. (Plus, playing a decker means you don't have to bring Blitz.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Hey, I read that back in the day.

I've kinda gotten to like Shadowrun's setting from the games and stories I've heard, but good god is that a rules set I won't touch with a ten foot pole as a DM.
Still haven't tried SR Anarchy, but it's supposed to be much better?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I had to force myself to keep playing Hong Kong, rather than just going back and playing Dragonfall again (or trying out the... Workshop.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I couldn't go back to Dragonfall after experiencing the wonders of teammates who are actually... competent. The very idea of looking at Buzz fills me with fear and loathing.
I won't hear such slander about Glory the murder-nado. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DGM_2 posted:

Also fixed skills, and they don't go as high as they should. Even for the final mission I couldn't find a single NPC rigger who could use the best class of drones OR get the +1 AP bonus for them. Also, no NPC Decker ever gets enough skill to use the best deck. I imagine all the NPCS are underpowered in their own fields.
It's almost certainly so that, whatever you specialize in, you get to be The Best At It.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DGM_2 posted:

Also pretty absurd in that particular case.

For those unfamiliar with the Ultima series: Iolo is a major recurring NPC who often accompanies the player character on his adventures. When he's not adventuring he makes crossbows for a living and owns a store called "Iolo's Bows." He's married to a woman named Gwenno and employs another woman named Gwenneth to run the shop while he's away.

Now, knowing that take another look at Kanfy's screenshot and see if you can spot what's wrong with this picture:

Did you add them to your party?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

A lot of runners dabble a bit into shamanism or a mage school while retaining one or two augs, its not that big an issue having a datajack. They literally the lowest essence drain you can get in most versions.
Keep in mind, it's Jake. The datajack may well have just been the straw that broke the camel's back.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

In 5 it isn't. There's a published adventure partially based around it: Ares Small Arms is horrified to discover that they are definitively bottom of the rankings at this season's self defense expos, and a series of Ares-on-Ares shadowruns follow as the execs involved make desperate bids to shift the blame.
From all the reviews I've seen, you just made that adventure sound way more fun than it actually is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Not that I've ever played Shadowrun tabletop.
:v:

This isn't my first GMing rodeo. Shadowrun is a game that does not work well with being A) directly antagonistic between players and GM, or B) expecting the players to be murderhobos. C.Y.A. does both of those things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

My GM is pretty good at deciding "no, this is stupid, we are doing this my way" when a published adventure does not live up to snuff. Your Game Will Vary.
I've actually had this discussion before with someone somewhere. "A good GM can make any game good" means you have to divorce GM quality from any serious discussion on published adventures. Otherwise, you'll never get anything done.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poil posted:

I keep thinking his name is McTusky for some reason.
Someone please put in an option to call him that to his face.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

megane posted:

It's also important to consider that megacorps are, in a way, so big as to be invisible. If you go walking down the street, you might see thousands of different businesses and brands and logos and so on, restaurants and cleaning companies and fashion stores and gun shops. It's just that they're all ultimately owned by Ares. For every thing you buy that has a big Ares logo on the front, there are a dozen that have a tiny little one on the back. It's the PepsiCo effect writ large. From SINner Bob's perspective, he just does his job and buys stuff; the fact that his paycheck comes from the same place he buys the stuff from is something that matters to accountants a thousand miles away.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Count me among the people who didn't even know it was possible to talk him down.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I am equal parts impressed and angry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poil posted:

If you thought BTL addiction was horrible, try understanding the rules for it in the latest edition. :shepicide:
Try understanding the rules for anything in tabletop Shadowrun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love that the team of Runners you just iced were apparently completely incidental to what was actually going on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Then again, it does give the Decker something to do besides just sit in the corner and try not to get shot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanfy posted:

This is a bit of a confusing line and I'm not entirely sure who Johnny's referring to. To my knowledge we haven't met anyone we've factually known to having had worked with chop shops outside of Dresden, and we definitely haven't talked to Clean about it at any point. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.
Well, we didn't technically meet the Ripper, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there an emote for a deeply begrudging golf clap?

• Locked thread