Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I played through all these as a decker/mage hybrid. In the first two games, the 0.5 essence cost of the datajack did make the spell cooldowns a little longer, but overall it wasn't a problem, and mages can be super effective with a fairly small investment of karma. It's probably not optimal, but being able to do all the Matrix stuff made it a lot more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

DocWagon basically exists so the GM has an excuse to save your sorry asses if a session goes south and they don't feel like wiping the party. So the exact mechanics kind of depend on who's running the game, and I think the fiction side of the house never nailed it down too exactly.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The next two games completely annihilate that thesis. We've already got cyberpunk stuff out there; Shadowrun only exists in the first place for the express purpose of being both things at once.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Dunkelzahn's Will is basically one of the best pieces of writing in any tabletop RPG, ever. It is absolutely bursting with ideas. You could have a whole campaign just centered around it, if you wanted. And it's hilarious and kind of touching at the same time.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

If you keep yourself to just one point of essence lost, you can still be a very good mage. That's actually what I usually run, and it works fine. It might not be totally optimal from a single-character perspective, but it means that my main character can experience the maximum amount of content, so it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Well, I mean, the loading screen is 100% explicit.

The game has made a statement that Sam sold her organs postmortem for money. It doesn't state this in Melinda's voice, so our default assumption probably ought to be that this interpretation is canonical.

• Locked thread