Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

New Wave Jose posted:

So no one is going to comment on the dildo on Coyote's bed?

Not really out of the ordinary, besides, we're goons, we all have a wonderful custom handmade elf puntl dildo made by our very own Mr. Dildomancer, she's no exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Wish Fulfillment Center.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

/\/\
Don't worry, steam sales are coming soon.

They've been named as a faction in game and are a cult and more than just that: a shadowrun action. There's no way we're not at least getting a job or two on the side poking at them.

Actually is there any faction in shadowrun that isn't a bunch of pricks in a systemic way? Apart from irrelevant tiny powerless groups?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Poil posted:

Would you like your drink to be medium, large or troll sized?

We're goons, dragon sized.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A good size to make a good 20000 count soynugget / coke soup, enough to last one day of snacks. Imagine the fortune Aztechnology will get out of there.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Poil posted:

If you thought BTL addiction was horrible, try understanding the rules for it in the latest edition. :shepicide:

It's pretty easy! Throw a bucket of d6 over the table and see which charsheets went with the flow to the floor, the characters involved got fried.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

So, for those who played the tabletop game, which did your gaming group lean towards? Mine was hard pink mohawk, to the point where mirrorshades stuff, whenever introduced in a game, felt like a dick GM trying to screw us over. I get now that these are just two different play styles, but I never saw anything fun about being paranoid about your bullet casings or whatever. (I guess we weren't supposed to shoot at all...)

Both, fire is pretty great for solving opsec concerns when you kicked down the door with a custom katana with a blinking LED stripe along the length of the blade in one hand and a hello kitty grenade launcher in the other.

The best part of opsec paranoia is solving those issues by impersonating other teams and / or leaving random blood samples and fake evidence after firefights.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Actually it sounds like a really good moment to go on the Shadowland BBS and post a few threads about "HELP BUG SPIRITS EVERYWHERE HELP ME" in the Seattle section and see a bit of long term thinking and / or gloryhound prime talent show up.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I thought bug spirits were already known as existing and dangerous if not explicitly known to sometimes be related to the UB?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A thing that has always bugged me in shadowrun is how every runner team has at least a mage of some sort along for the ride despite the awakened being supposedly pretty rare.

I get that they get so much trouble for their nature that large numbers decide to just go and cause trouble instead of just having trouble dumped on them but it's still a bit much.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Some groups only do hooding, all the time. Generally a poor money prospect though.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Randaconda posted:

That's every Shadowrun PC in every TT campaign I've played in.

Some of the funniest and most satisfying runs are when everything goes according to plan, the plan called for stealth, and nobody ever notices the run happened.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Furthermore, the upper levels of society have access to incredibly expensive and difficult to access medical techniques, notably the life-extending Leonization procedure. Leonization is a derivative of HMHVV (the Human-Hetahuman-Vampiric-Virus) research and those assholes would probably all cut out the middleman and be vampires if it wasn't "illegal on pain of death by lots of bullets."

They try pretty often as well, the realy rich part of Seattle that's not even in Seattle because it's full of dirty poors has two gangs, a bunch of old tech tycoons playing chicken with the matrix's overwatch teams and a vampire gang in the business of turning those tycoons when they get too scared of death to resist.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

MJ12 posted:

Given that a single Nuyen is about equivalent to a single USD today, that's actually a pretty significant cost savings. A regular soldier, just for training and equipment, costs half a million dollars.

Special forces cost like, in the millions. If you go there, and as a result, you save even a single HTR dude's life, Telestrian is in the black here.

I thought a Nuyen was basically an early 1980s USD? Basically a million of those won't make your life perfect but will make it a lot easier and probably longer as well.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

painedforever posted:

Right. So that's all fluff explanations. Is there a mapping in it for crunch as well? A jack in the video-game means giving up 0.5 essence (0.3 if you're using the eyeball jack). I assume you can use the 'trode thingy without giving up on essence?

The electrode net never replaces any part of the body and therefore has an essence cost of zero, just like tools and glasses which can also, arguably, be referred to as cybernetics. (Although I hear the actual term is supposed to be mechtronics.)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You absolutely can, especially in areas of raising magic, and you can easily get the opposite in areas of falling magic.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And in the end Sam Watts remained as he ever was.

Psion posted:

I guess maybe if your PC had ever expressed any dissatisfaction with running I could buy it? But when I'm playing a Shadowrun game and I have to invent a backstory where I actually don't like shadowrunning? Ehhhh. Perhaps my total lack of lore knowledge is why it just completely missed for me.

I could see that as a much, much better sell in one of the sequel titles so let's chalk it up to HBS improving things as they do.

The latter ones put more emphasis on shadowrunning as a sort of a permanent heart attack, like it should be.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

OutofSight posted:

It is a very strange but interesting option. Shadowrun proper is peak cyberpunk. Meaning very punk and anti-establishment. Forces of power have to be mistrusted and have very little redeeming qualities.
Having a runner becoming a (balancing?) force within the system is a post-cyberpunk resolution.

It's not about becoming a balancing force, it's about stepping out of a business that could kill you at anytime and getting to sit down in an actual office where the actual coffee isn't poo poo and where people don't bother you, and actually living as opposed to day to day surviving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The real problem with those games is that you can't always have your full team which is a real and complete shame.

• Locked thread