Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

MagusofStars posted:

Serious question from someone who's never played the tabletop: If the rules are as hosed as everyone is saying, how do people play? Do you just SWAG a bunch of stuff or is there some commonly accepted set of homebrew house rules that fix stuff?

With the older rules you just kinda rolled with it (and filed off the rough edges on the fly). Now you can play the setting with another system or just file the rough edges off on the fly. But it has D&D syndrome to some extent - some people just play how they think the rules should work rather than how they actually work and wouldn't know the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Just play on Normal imho.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Now imagine that there was an arrow leading from all 10 of those umbrella companies to Aztechnology. That's how hard they dominate the consumer goods market.

It doesn't make any sense in universe though. Workers are paid with company scrip and buy from company stores. Why would an Ares company store sell Aztechnologies consumer products? The entire point of the setting is that hte Megacorps are vertically integrated and as such would never do that by definition.

Has always been a truly weird part of the setting.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Or at least take his gun off him

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

wiegieman posted:

There are plenty of places DocWagon won't go. They won't extract (most) clients from extraterritorial land, for example.

The writing about doc wagon is super inconsistent - not in the least because it's not super consistent what is corporate land

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

LMG drones are super cheap - put a couple on van protection detail.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I think they are specifically complaining about the connection to a setting called earth dawn, which is dumb.

Basically when to much magic comes back, things called Horrors arrive from another dimension and kill everyone, Cthulhu Style. To survive the people of earth need to build magical fallout shelters and seal themselves underground in ritually protected domes before the the Stars are Right and Not-Cthulhu kills everyone. The dragons know this is going to happen as they were around for last time.

Yeah, the entire setting is secretly Faux Cthulhu Mythos via one of the dumbest 90s metaplots/setting cross overs.

It is aggressively dumb as it has literally nothing to do with the themes of the rest of the setting.

Edit: now the two properties are owned by difference companies this has mostly been thrown overboard

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

One of my beefs with the game is that in 4E at least the rules outcomes didn't really support playing a cromed up dude. In the setting you get blown away if you get spring so you want to be sneaky/in the shadows

The problem was basically if stealth was the solution it was better to go bioware because then you were not obviously a murder blender short of someone running blood tests on you. Makes infiltration and disguise a lot easier. Plus the various social augs were bioware.

Putting on tons of chrome was thematic, but didn't really help you because if you could wander around being obviously dodgy, the rigger could send in a flock of LMG drones that cost less than the Sammies enhanced reflexes. Even ignoring that the low profile bio Sammie could just put on body armor and pick up a gun.

The mechanics didn't support the desired outcomes in a bunch of places and it was quite intrusive. You could make a quite mechanically good hacker by taping a bunch of commlinks together and running the autonomous agent hacking programs on them. The game had weird rules to try and stop you doing that (copy protection!) but then immediately included rules to let you write your own programs or disable copy protection. And you could do this accidentally because the flavor text of the wireless internet emphasized everyone could get hacked, you need protection!! What's protection? Oh this handy agent thing...

So the best hacker was a pile of mini agent smiths standing on top of each other wearing a trench coat supported by the best combat option: a fleet of low rent R2D2s with LMGs duct tapped to their head.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 4, 2017

• Locked thread